The All-New "unofficial" AKL/AKV's Jambo & Kidani FAQ thread.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm confused (wasn't Jambo Jr. a new thread?), but if it's moving over there then I'll follow along! I have to say that I got tons of information from the Jambo thread -and it was worth reading through all 500 pages (it was at 500 when I started). Took a bit of time but I feel like I know the resort so well, even though I haven't been there yet. So I'm glad that it will continue - and I hope there will be a link to it in the Resort Board. :3dglasses

You'll get information from this thread without having to read through so many pages. this thread will be everything you need to know about the resort and if you have any questions, you'd do better by asking them here and they will be answered in the first thread so you don't have to remember what page you posted on to try to get your answer. The other one, as wonderful as it is, got so long it was hard to find details. Today I will be adding a link to that thread for all discussions and first-hand reports. When you have questions, they will defer you to this thread to ask so it will all be in one place.

Who's on first? :teeth:

I appreciate and love all the info and I understand the need to separate the two because I also like to chat, and laugh, and lurk love that Kimmar thread (still waiting for the tag fairy to sign me up for the bunch. I'm glad I have two different places to go for my AKL fix. I also LOVE the idea for a picture thread like they have for the Poly. I think AKL has the BEST pictures (get them together for us Flosbolna) :goodvibes.

Hi!

I'm new to the thread.

I'm planning a stay at AKL, being converted from the Poly. ;)

First question: Are "Pool View" rooms noisy?

TIA

Hi!

I'm new to the thread.

I'm planning a stay at AKL, being converted from the Poly. ;)

First question: Are "Pool View" rooms noisy?

TIA

On the lower floors...a bit. If you leave your slider open, or are out on the balcony. With the doors closed, you might get a hint of noise during the afternoon wafting up from the pool, but it's not distracting, IMHO. At night...I've never, ever heard a thing.

On the lower floors...a bit. If you leave your slider open, or are out on the balcony. With the doors closed, you might get a hint of noise during the afternoon wafting up from the pool

Thanks for you reply.

I ask because we usually get up very early and my kids (and hubby) nap during the afternoon. Hmmm.....

Hi, I have three suggestions:

First, there is one question with answer:

"I got the pool view room because my son (15) wants to be closed to the action, lol. Can somebody tell me whether or not you need to pass the lobby area to get to the pools? Is there a better pool view room preference?

...if you get a room in the Giraffe Trail, there is also an elevator (which we used OFTEN!) about halfway down the corridor, that goes directly to the first floor..it lets you out near the small bridge that is at the front edge of the pool (opposite the pool bar)...."

I would suggest to split up the question and to phrase the answers as follows:

I got the pool view room because my son (15) wants to be closed to the action, lol. Can somebody tell me whether or not you need to pass the lobby area to get to the pools? Is there a better pool view room preference?

Both Giraffe and Zebra Trail have elevators in the middle of the trail which can take you down to the first floor for direct access to the pool without having to pass the lobby.

Is there a better pool view room preference?

Pool view rooms are located in either Giraffe or Zebra Trail. Giraffe Trail has the advantage of not being very long, so you are never far away from the lobby. Also there is a direct access to the walkway to the busses. Zebra Trail has the pool on one side and Arusha Savannah on the other side. So when you walk down the hallway to your room you will pass windows from where you can see the Savannah. It might give you more of a feel of being surrounded by magic. Also there is a laundry room on Zebra Trail and Mara might be slightly closer, but it is not far from the Giraffe Trail rooms either.

Second, in my experience the following question comes up regularly:

I have seen pictures of Uzima pool and it looks like the water is murky. Is it not cleaned?

The water in Uzima pool is crystal clear, however it is designed to look like a watering hole. The bottom of the pool is not painted bright blue, but a rather "murky" blue for that effect.

And thirdly, I know this might make even more work, but you have already assembled a large number of questions. I would suggest of grouping them into different topics (rooms/concierge/pool/dining/shop etc.).

Thanks for all the great work!

Post has been updated and moved around a little as suggested. Didn't take too much time. Let me know how you like it!

Can anybody tell me what kind of beer and wine selection my in-laws can expect at Zawadi Marketplace? Also, do you have any idea what price range they should expect?

(I'm hoping to be able to advise them about whether they should take a cab offsite or just purchase at the resort. We've already suggested ordering groceries through gardengrocer, but, apparently they don't have alcohol.)

Who's on first? :teeth:

I appreciate and love all the info and I understand the need to separate the two because I also like to chat, and laugh, and lurk love that Kimmar thread (still waiting for the tag fairy to sign me up for the bunch. I'm glad I have two different places to go for my AKL fix. I also LOVE the idea for a picture thread like they have for the Poly. I think AKL has the BEST pictures (get them together for us Flosbolna) :goodvibes.

I'm wondering if I missed something...is there a picture thread going around that I don't know about? There are so many AKL threads going around that I forget where I got my info from :laughing: . Just goes to show how many out there love the AKL!

Flossbolna: I like the idea of grouping the FAQ's. This thread is going to be as jumbled as the Jambo one if it goes on long enough. Btw..thanks for posting that about the pool. I've often wondered why the pool water looks so dirty in the pictures.

Can anybody tell me what kind of beer and wine selection my in-laws can expect at Zawadi Marketplace? Also, do you have any idea what price range they should expect?

(I'm hoping to be able to advise them about whether they should take a cab offsite or just purchase at the resort. We've already suggested ordering groceries through gardengrocer, but, apparently they don't have alcohol.)

Here's the "issue" with the question:

Prior to DVC being "installed" at the lodge, the pickings were slim. Think Budweiser, Miller Light, Coors kind of selection (maybe Heineken, too). Wine selection was likewise limited at Zawadi (but Jiko could be "convinced" to sell you a GREAT South African bottle to be taken back to your room sometimes), and what they did have was expensive.

Since DVC came in, I've been told the selection has expanded a bit...but not been given specifics. And I haven't made my first trip as a DVC member, yet (January is coming fast). And even "expanded", it's not what one would call expansive, if you get my drift.

You're really going to want to get info from someone who has recently been there (the last few months) which is likely why you're not getting a quick response. Given the state of flux that's occurred, recently, nobody is sure.

If you can wait for an answer for 7 weeks-ish, I'd be happy to check when I arrive and report back.....but if the trip is soon, that's not going to help much.

Ok, earlier this week I booked AKV for April 27-May4th, and when I called back today they told me that construction will be going on 24 hours a day, and we could hear noise.

anyone know if this is happening now, and how bad it is? I'm starting to regret my ressie, and wonder if I should change it.

I'd hate to not be able to sleep at nite!!

Just back. Can't help on beer as didn't take the beer drinking DH with us this time, but I brought home the wine list from Zawadi Marketplace.

White:
Pearly Bay Sparkling Wine - $14.95
Porcupine Ridge Sauvignon Blanc - $16.95
Indaba Chardonnay - $14.95
Goat Door Chardonnay - $18.95
Avondale Sauvignon Blanc - $18.95
Fair Valley Chenin - $14.95
Avondale Chenin - $18.95
Avondale Rose - $18.95
Frog Hill Chenin Blanc 1/2 bottle - $10.95
Lion Hunt Sauvignon Blanc - single serving - $6.95
Lion Hunt Rose - single serving - $10.95

Reds:
Indaba Merlot - $16.95
Indaba Shiraz - $16.95
Brampton Cabernet Sauvignon - $18.95
Brampton Shiraz - $19.95
Avondale Pinotage - $18.95
Wolf Trap Red Blend - $14.95
Frog Hill Pinotage - 1/2 bottle - $10.95
Lion Hunt Merlot/Shiraz Blend - single serving - $6.95

I had both of the Pinotage wines and they are great. I get the pinotage everytime I go to Boma or Jiko too - just don't find it at home much and it is a really nice wine.

Here's the "issue" with the question:

Prior to DVC being "installed" at the lodge, the pickings were slim. ...
Since DVC came in, I've been told the selection has expanded a bit...but not been given specifics.

Yes, we were there, after dinner at BOMA, in Sept. We took note of the changes and the integrated DVC inventory of food products, but, we didn't think to do an inventory. I just assumed that I could look this stuff up on the grocery order form available for DVC stays. But, the alcohol isn't included.

Just back. Can't help on beer as didn't take the beer drinking DH with us this time, but I brought home the wine list from Zawadi Marketplace.

Fabulous! Thanks!

I'll pass this on to my in-laws.

We don't go until the middle of Jan. So, if nobody else has beer information before then, I'd appreciate you checking it out for me in 7.5 weeks, pilferk.

not strictly an AKL answer, but I think I have read somewhere that gardengrocer does alcohol, but you have to email them about it, it's not on the website.

Hi, I have three suggestions:

First, there is one question with answer:

"I got the pool view room because my son (15) wants to be closed to the action, lol. Can somebody tell me whether or not you need to pass the lobby area to get to the pools? Is there a better pool view room preference?

...if you get a room in the Giraffe Trail, there is also an elevator (which we used OFTEN!) about halfway down the corridor, that goes directly to the first floor..it lets you out near the small bridge that is at the front edge of the pool (opposite the pool bar)...."

I would suggest to split up the question and to phrase the answers as follows:

I got the pool view room because my son (15) wants to be closed to the action, lol. Can somebody tell me whether or not you need to pass the lobby area to get to the pools? Is there a better pool view room preference?

Both Giraffe and Zebra Trail have elevators in the middle of the trail which can take you down to the first floor for direct access to the pool without having to pass the lobby.

Is there a better pool view room preference?

Pool view rooms are located in either Giraffe or Zebra Trail. Giraffe Trail has the advantage of not being very long, so you are never far away from the lobby. Also there is a direct access to the walkway to the busses. Zebra Trail has the pool on one side and Arusha Savannah on the other side. So when you walk down the hallway to your room you will pass windows from where you can see the Savannah. It might give you more of a feel of being surrounded by magic. Also there is a laundry room on Zebra Trail and Mara might be slightly closer, but it is not far from the Giraffe Trail rooms either.

Second, in my experience the following question comes up regularly:

I have seen pictures of Uzima pool and it looks like the water is murky. Is it not cleaned?

The water in Uzima pool is crystal clear, however it is designed to look like a watering hole. The bottom of the pool is not painted bright blue, but a rather "murky" blue for that effect.

And thirdly, I know this might make even more work, but you have already assembled a large number of questions. I would suggest of grouping them into different topics (rooms/concierge/pool/dining/shop etc.).

Thanks for all the great work!

Hi pyrxtc, the grouping of the questions looks great, however you missed out to make the heading "room questions" big and blue :goodvibes

Also, I am not sure whether you forgot about the two first points in my post, or whether you did not want to use it :confused3 I just thought I'd highlight it again :goodvibes

I'll fix it. The computer I put the answers on just failed so ahve to save new files and I'll add it in.

Oh, and thanks for the "room questions" catch ! I'll update it all tonight.

We don't go until the middle of Jan. So, if nobody else has beer information before then, I'd appreciate you checking it out for me in 7.5 weeks, pilferk.

We arrive at AKV on the 5th of Jan and I KNOW we're going to get net access the first day, and the last day, at least. I'll check, and post, what I find upon arrival, probably that first night.

We arrive at AKV on the 5th of Jan and I KNOW we're going to get net access the first day, and the last day, at least. I'll check, and post, what I find upon arrival, probably that first night.

Just a tip to anyone arriving at AKL/AKV (or any other hotel). If you are going to access the internet, it pays to check your first day. If the person using the room before you paid for access, you will get the rest of their 24 hours to use. At least, I am assuming that happens since the first time I logged on, I wasn't required to pay but the next day, I had to pay the $9.95 for the next 24 hours access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter