• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The 5 trips of My "Disney Free Year" - A Mermaid, A Buzz, A Boat and A Steak - 7/8

Panic & DH

Meanwhile, Panic and DH set out with the crowd and headed towards Space Mountain. DH was anxious to see the updates that they were doing when we were there in January. I think last time he was on Space Mountain was 2004.

On their way to Space Mountain, they went and picked up FPs for Buzz Light Year, so when they got to SM, there was a 15 minute wait – not bad at all, but a stark contrast from what we experienced.

102_1101.jpg

102_1102.jpg

102_1103.jpg

Even with the updates, this ride still looks a little worse for wear

102_1106.jpg

102_1107.jpg

102_1108.jpg

Oooohhh Space stuff!

102_1109.jpg

102_1110.jpg

Apparently Space Mountain has caught onto the DIS trick of taking a picture of your ride picture so you don’t have to buy it…

102_1111.jpg

DH still talks about the exit thing with the pictures.

102_1113.jpg

They said they liked it, but it was really choppy. Perhaps more telling was when DH and I went to the MK by ourselves, I offered to go on SM with him, and he said “no, it’s okay”

After their ride on the Mountain, they set out to find us. When they got to Pirates, we were on the ride, and since there was still no wait, they rode Pirates too!

I think this guy was in line for WWOHP….

102_1115.jpg

102_1119.jpg

102_1122.jpg

102_1123.jpg

102_1133.jpg

Are you sick of pictures from Pirates yet?

102_1135.jpg

102_1136.jpg

After Pirates, we decided to head over to Frontier land to see what the line for Big Thunder was…. 10 minutes longer than we wanted, but we hopped in anyway!

IMG_1574.jpg

It ended up being about a 7 minute wait.

IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

Queenie and Grumpy sat this one out, so the 3 of us set out for the wildest ride in the wilderness.

Doesn’t he look thrilled?

IMG_1572.jpg

Which was fun as always.

After we returned safely from our runaway mine cart, we were all starving. So, we decided to head to the Main Street Bakery for some fortification.

The Space Mountain line is actually pretty cool - for those of you who haven't been on it since 2004. They added video games! it's a simple 3 button touch station where you race / battle your colored spaceship against the other players in line on a huge screen. It wouldn't have been awful to wait in line with a game like that available.

We were walking a bit fast through the line so we couldn't stand and play, but took great pleasure in trying to hit all the buttons as we walked past, sending all the little spaceships careening into one another.

^_^'

Wow! The crowds were great that morning. Walk-ons are the best!

I can’t believe the cracks in the ceiling on Space Mtn. You’d think that’s something they could’ve fixed while it was down. We loved those games they installed in the queue. So simple, but a nice way to waste time!

What a great morning! That's amazing that you were they only ones in the stretching room at Haunted Mansion. That sounds fantastic.

For those of you that are interested, I found this the other day. It is the official recipe used at Universal.

Here's the recipe for the formerly fictional drink made famous by Universal Studios Orlando’s Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

BUTTERBEER

Start to finish: 1 hour (10 minutes active)

Servings: 4
•1 cup light or dark brown sugar
•2 tablespoons water
•6 tablespoon butter
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
•3/4 cup heavy cream, divided
•1/2 teaspoon rum extract
•Four 12-ounce bottles cream soda

In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar and water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook, stirring often, until the mixture reads 240 F on a candy thermometer. Stir in the butter, salt, vinegar and 1/4 cup heavy cream. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Once the mixture has cooled, stir in the rum extract.

In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar mixture and the remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Use an electric mixer to beat until just thickened, but not completely whipped, about 2 to 3 minutes.

To serve, divide the brown sugar mixture between 4 tall glasses (about 1/4 cup for each glass). Add 1/4 cup of cream soda to each glass, then stir to combine. Fill each glass nearly to the top with additional cream soda, then spoon the whipped topping over each.

WARNING: DO NOT STIR ^_^'

The Space Mountain line is actually pretty cool - for those of you who haven't been on it since 2004. They added video games! it's a simple 3 button touch station where you race / battle your colored spaceship against the other players in line on a huge screen. It wouldn't have been awful to wait in line with a game like that available.

We were walking a bit fast through the line so we couldn't stand and play, but took great pleasure in trying to hit all the buttons as we walked past, sending all the little spaceships careening into one another.

^_^'

Chris is Still Talking about those games. But the ride - not so much.

Wow! The crowds were great that morning. Walk-ons are the best!

I can’t believe the cracks in the ceiling on Space Mtn. You’d think that’s something they could’ve fixed while it was down. We loved those games they installed in the queue. So simple, but a nice way to waste time!

Yes, if we ever go around Christmas again - we'll definitely do the early mornings again - we had pretty much done everything we wanted to do at the MK by noon!

The games sounds fun - but I like my spine :cutie:

What a great morning! That's amazing that you were they only ones in the stretching room at Haunted Mansion. That sounds fantastic.

It was so funny - you know at the beginning when the voice is like "step to the middle of the room and make room for everyone" Queenie started going towards the middle of the room, and stood dead center, then looked back at us and realized that she didn't actually have to go to the center and just shrugged. Okay, maybe you had to be there, but it was so funny!

For those of you that are interested, I found this the other day. It is the official recipe used at Universal.

WARNING: DO NOT STIR ^_^'

Queenie will be so happy. We might have to try it this weekend!

When you’re in Frontierland, and need to get to Main Street, and your traveling with my DH, what do you do?

Ride the train of course! ( I know you were all as proud of him as I was for going a whole hour in the MK without forcing us ride the train with him...)

IMG_1575.jpg

This is an awful picture, but it is hilarious,…

IMG_1576.jpg

So funny story, We (DH, Panic and I) ran to catch the train and the gate CM yelled to Queenie and Grumpy “run, the train is leaving”

They didn’t run – they only have 1 speed!

So she was teasing them, and us that we would have left them, and we said it was our plan. She said she sympathized, and she tries to loose her mother too.

So as we’re pulling out, Queenie yells, “and Call your Mother!” The CM was doubled over laughing!

IMG_1577.jpg

Next stop, Toon Town.

IMG_1578.jpg

Good bye Toon Town, It’s been nice knowing you.

IMG_1579.jpg

This was as close as we got to Toon Town this trip, and now we won’t be back until after it is closed. Bummer.

We got off at the Main Street Station, and headed to the Bakery.

It was crowded but I was able to strong-arm a spot for us

IMG_1581.jpg

The breakfast was okay, but not memorable.

After breakfast, we headed back down main street to Tomorrowland.

Here’s my attempt at a funky balloon shot.
IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg

Our first stop? Only my all time favorite – the TTA!

IMG_1586.jpg

Grumpy was ready for the excitement to begin

IMG_1588.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg

I kind of wish Progress City would have been built.

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1592.jpg

About ½ way through, the enthusiasm had died down…

IMG_1596.jpg

102_1140.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

Astrorbiter – the ride that looks so cool, but I have no desire to ever ever ever ride. No thank you!

IMG_1598.jpg

102_1145.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

Love the train (though not as much as your DH seems to :laughing: ) and the TTA. Looks like you guys had a nice time on them.

It certainly wouldn’t be a trip to the MK without some time on the train! Too funny about the interaction between your mom and the CM.

I also love the TTA. Such a nice break from the crowds. Except when we were there last year, we ran over to it as our last ride before we headed back to the hotel. There was a 20 minute wait! I couldn't believe it!

Love the train (though not as much as your DH seems to :laughing: ) and the TTA. Looks like you guys had a nice time on them.

I'm pretty sure Walt himself didn' t love the steam trains quite as much as my DH! I never really thought of the train as a "cool ride," but I'll admit after the steam train tour I have a new respect for it - and *glup* I like it too! (though I'll deny it if DH ever calls me on it :laughing:)

It was a really nice relaxing morning at the MK!

Love the update!

Thanks - there's more where that came from coming right up!

It certainly wouldn’t be a trip to the MK without some time on the train! Too funny about the interaction between your mom and the CM.

I also love the TTA. Such a nice break from the crowds. Except when we were there last year, we ran over to it as our last ride before we headed back to the hotel. There was a 20 minute wait! I couldn't believe it!

Since I have a DH who has been know to make me go to the MK JUST to ride the train and then leave, I am painfully aware how incomplete a trip to the MK is without the train. There's a lot of pouting and tears... :rotfl:

We had that on our September trip. I love the TTA as much as, if not a little more than the next guy but a 20 minute wait - are you kidding me?

There was no one in front of or behind us when we went this time!

Next up? It was time to use our FPs for Buzz.

IMG_1602.jpg

I don’t know why, but I just love these batteries.

IMG_1603.jpg

Cadet Panic, reporting for duty.

IMG_1604.jpg

Capt'n Queenie - at your service!

IMG_1605.jpg

Panic and Grumpy were in a car together, Queenie and I were together, and DH double gunned it in his own car.

IMG_1606.jpg

I sucked, as usual. Queenie kicked my butt!

IMG_1607.jpg

Next up, Queenie really wanted to go on CoP.

IMG_1609.jpg

Apparently I was taking too many pictures, because DH took one of me taking that picture.

102_1147.jpg

Panic was not pleased, but there was no line, so we hopped on and saw our “Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow”

IMG_1611.jpg

After that, we hit up the Laugh Floor.

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

I found this so funny

IMG_1614.jpg

We got into the show, and I snapped this picture before I got yelled at…

IMG_1616.jpg

I’m torn, I want to like Monster’s inc. I did like Monster’s inc. But after seeing Crush, it’s just not good. Bummer.

After Monster’s inc, we headed to Mickey’s PhilharMagic!

IMG_1617.jpg

On the way we checked the line for Snow White – 35 minutes!

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

After Mickey’s PhilharMagic, we pretty much had done everything we wanted to at MK, and we were getting hungry, so we headed to the Monorail.

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

What a nice day at the MK!

I rode Space Mountain a bunch of times on my last trip, and I realized that there's a huge difference, jerkiness-wise, between the front seat and the back seat. You wouldn't think it would make such a big difference with just three seats, but somehow it really does! The front is way smoother.

Just in case you ever decide to risk your spine again. Not that I'm suggesting you should, or anything. But just in case.

What a nice day at the MK!

I rode Space Mountain a bunch of times on my last trip, and I realized that there's a huge difference, jerkiness-wise, between the front seat and the back seat. You wouldn't think it would make such a big difference with just three seats, but somehow it really does! The front is way smoother.

Just in case you ever decide to risk your spine again. Not that I'm suggesting you should, or anything. But just in case.

Thanks for the tip. DH and I always have the conversation if we should go or not. There's a part of me that wants to try it one more time. Good to know that if I insist on a front seat, there's a chance for me. I Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to try it :thumbsup2

not disney related, but i have to- WERE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!! BOOOOOYAH!!!!!:laughing::woohoo:

I know!!!!! They gave me a heart attack or 12 getting there, but they did it! YAY GO PACK. Football talk is always allowed on my TRs - and in this case, it's totally IS Disney related because *when* they win A-Rodg will totally be saying "I'm going to Disneyworld!" See - totally Disney related :rotfl: :rotfl:

The first monorail ride of the trip! YAY!

We got off at the Poly. DH and I stayed at the Poly for our honeymoon, and even though I'm not sure I'd ever stay there again - the rooms were not the best - the shower was eye level for 5' 2" me - it is hands-down my favorite resort. I just love everything about it. The restaurants, the bar, the shops, the decor, the everything.

Hello gorgeous, how I’ve missed you!

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

And decided to try our luck walking up with no ADR to the Kona Café

IMG_1622.jpg

We had no problem getting a table, and we all decided to get appetizers to share. Sticky wings and Pot stickers for us.

IMG_1623.jpg

The sticky wings were good as always, but they slathered them in mustard, which was new for us. I thought it was too much mustard, but the wings themselves were good as always!

IMG_1624.jpg

The pot stickers were their usual goodness.

IMG_1625.jpg

After lunch, we decide we all want dessert. Looking at the menu, Queenie asks, what’s a Kona Kone? So we tell her it’s the child’s dessert, and we point to a child at a different table that has one. So she emphatically declares that’s what she wants.

We looked at her like she’s nuts, but she knew what she wanted.

DH and I shared the chocolate volcano (I think that’s what it is)

IMG_1629.jpg

Yum!

Panic got the banana crème brulee

IMG_1630.jpg

Yes, this is the dessert my adult parents ordered.

IMG_1627.jpg

Queenie was so excited about it – it was hilarious!

IMG_1631.jpg

Then Panic dared try to steal some cotton candy…

IMG_1628.jpg

Which lead to..

This cotton candy is MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE… Yooooooooooou can’t have any!

IMG_1632.jpg

Overall, a great lunch!

IMG_1642.jpg

After lunch we wandered around the Poly for a while.

IMG_1644.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

There was a display of gingerbread houses

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

They were cute, but kind of a letdown after the boardwalk and Beach club…

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

So, after lunch, I checked the wait times at the MK on my phone, and they were in the 60-90 minute range, so we decided to head back to the room for a rest.

IMG_1646.jpg

We got back to the room around 3, and though Panic, DH and I discussed going to another park for a while, all 5 of us took a nap. We’re a really exciting crowd.

We stayed at the poly last year. And you are right...the rooms are definitely a bit run down...but I loved everything about staying there. It'll be so hard for me to want to stay anywhere again. Of course, the financial situation will likely have an impact :laughing:

I've got to admit...when we ate at Kona Cafe my dessert was none other than the Kona Kone!

Cute update!! Love the little gingerbread houses!

Thanks!

Almost all the resorts had the little gingerbread houses. I think it was like at Halloween where the different departments at the resort had a little friendly competition. It was a cute touch!

We stayed at the poly last year. And you are right...the rooms are definitely a bit run down...but I loved everything about staying there. It'll be so hard for me to want to stay anywhere again. Of course, the financial situation will likely have an impact :laughing:

I've got to admit...when we ate at Kona Cafe my dessert was none other than the Kona Kone!

The Poly is so wonderful. The great thing about Disney is that you can stay at the POP and easily get to the Poly and just pretend you're staying there :rotfl: And bonus - you get a shower you can use without getting a crick in your neck!

HAHA. Okay that makes me feel better that you got a Kona Kone too. When we were there the only other people that had them were all under the age of 10. :lmao:

DH and I got married at the Happiest Place on Earth. It was a magical day that spawned 6 amazing trips this year and a lifetime of memories to come.

Sorry if you've already seen them, but I just have to share a few pictures with you...

JC14831-24-10.jpg

JC12361-24-10.jpg

JC15801-24-10.jpg

JC19501-24-10.jpg

JC20261-24-10.jpg

Happy Anniversary to my dear DH!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter