• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The 12 days of... the Disney Deluxe Dining Plan! 11/16 Update ...Complete!

minnie.gif
Day 2: Lunch at Yak & Yeti

He was also very specific in letting us know that gratuity was not included in the bill.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Great review of Yak and Yeti! That is so funny the waiter kept reminding you about the tip, that would have irratated my DH.

Loving this so far! The rating system is great and all the photos have me watering at the mouth. Cant wait for more! :D

Thanks for another great review. We're dining at Yak and Yeti for the first time in July and I can't wait....I just hope I get a different server than you had ;) .

I'm so in- I love your reviews- keep em coming! I'm especially interested in the Kouzzina (sp) review- we have that as an option on the one meal I'm not sure of...

mickey.gif
Day 2: Dinner at Boma

Thank you everyone for following along on our magical food adventure. Sorry for the delay, lots going on around here lately ;)

On to one of our favorite restaurants, Boma!! I just love how richly detailed the entire resort is, the exquisite lobby, the cool lounge overlooking Boma, and just how differently the Boma restaurant's decor is. What keeps bringing us back to this buffet, be it for breakfast or dinner, is the variety that you just can't get anywhere else on property.

We specifically booked a day that had the ribs because I have heard so much about them, and never really paid attention to the day we booked before. Unfortunately, although the ribs had a nice spicy taste, they were very tough and just not worth eating compared to all the other goodies available. From yummy carrot ginger soup, the hummus/tapenade with pita, strip loin, fufu, falafel, etc.

_MG_3901.jpg

_MG_3903.jpg

But don't forget to save room for all those decadent bite size desserts. Chocolate mousse with cinnamon (delicious!!), caramel cheesecake, coffee tart, bread pudding with vanilla rum sauce. We might be in the minority from all the praise the Zebra Domes get, but we just don't enjoy them as much as the other desserts :)

_MG_3910.jpg

Our wonderful server even brought out a special dessert for us!! I find the wait staff here to be pretty consistently good, spot on with drink refills even when I threw in a Jungle Juice curve ball for dinner :rotfl2:

_MG_3908.jpg

They definitely did not disappoint (aside from the ribs, but there was plenty of other choices to enjoy) and we will certainly be back whenever we return to the World!

One thing to note, especially with the addition of the bus stop at the Kidani Village, is that it takes a pretty long time to get to these restaurants from any of the parks. If your relying on buses to get here, definitely make sure to give yourself some extra time to get there on time.

The Ratings:
Food
mickey.gif
3.5_Mickeys.png

minnie.gif
4_Mickeys.png

Summary: Quality of the ribs were a disappointment, everything else was delicious

Decor
mickey.gif
4_Mickeys.png

minnie.gif
4_Mickeys.png

Summary: African theme, love the decorative lights and theming

Service
mickey.gif
4_Mickeys.png

minnie.gif
4_Mickeys.png

Summary: Drink refills spot on, multiple servers took dirty dishes away quickly, server brought out wet naps for ribs without being asked, presented anniversary dessert

Cost
$66.01 (1 credit per person)

Overall
mickey.gif
3.5_Mickeys.png

minnie.gif
4_Mickeys.png

Summary: A meal full of delicious variety not found at any other buffet on property, wonderful themed restaurant that's full of energy

On Deck: Day 3: "Breakfast" at The Hollywood Brown Derby

Loving your TR!! Yall went to alot of the places on my ADR list for December. Still finalizing what I want so this information is awesome!! Keep 'em coming!!!!!:goodvibes

So glad I found your reviews, I'm in the process of picking restaurants for my DH and my first trip alone. I've been trying to figure out which restaurants to eat at while on our upcoming trip. I'm thinking about doing the Regular Dining Plan, the deluxe is just too much food for us. I'm hoping to try different restaurants that I've never eaten at before, so your reviews of the different restaurants is great. Keep them coming, it will make it easier to pick the right place after reading your reviews.

minnie.gif
Day 3: "Breakfast" at The Hollywood Brown Derby

Hi everyone! Sorry for the delay between postings, we had a busy weekend. Saturday was my baby shower and we had a lot of fun. There was even a relay race where my girlfriends had to push a Mickey plush around in a stroller through an obstacle course. And of course, we want to wish all the mothers out there, and those (like me) who are about to become mothers a wonderful Mother’s Day!

Back to the dining reviews! This is what you’re looking for after all. :rotfl:

Our "breakfast" or "first lunch" on our third day was at the Brown Derby, our first time eating here and we were both excited. We checked in early for our 11:30 ADR hoping that we could get sat earlier but they didn’t open until 11:30; so we took a seat in one of their comfortable couches and relaxed in the nice AC. At around 11:15, the hostess approached us and asked if we wanted to open the restaurant, we weren’t sure what all this included but we said “sure.” At 11:30 they called us over to cut a red ribbon while they announced our names and that we were celebrating our 8th anniversary. After we cut the ribbon we got to walk down the stairs into the main seating area and the wait staff threw Mickey confetti at us and took our picture. We were lead to our table, a booth, also covered with confetti and given our menus. It was a fun experience and towards the end of the meal they brought out this great souvenir they made us that included our pictures as if we were celebrities dining at the restaurant, we brought it home with us to put in our vacation scrapbook (if there was ever enough time in the day to finish one). :rotfl2:

Our server was great; he talked us through the menu and answered all our questions. DH ordered an iced-tea to drink and I went with a sprite. He also returned with a bread basket that featured warm bread and soft butter, a lovely combination. I had heard so many wonderful things about the cobb salad at the Brown Derby I was really looking forward to trying one. However, the lunch menu only included a cobb salad for two under the appetizer selection. I asked our server if it would be possible for me to try it without DH ordering it as well since he wanted to try something else and he said that wasn’t a problem. So I enjoyed the cobb salad (finely chopped greens, turkey breast, egg, bacon, tomatoes, crumbled blue cheese, avocado, chives and Cobb dressing, I had mine without the blue cheese) and it was delicious, I enjoyed every last bite.

IMG_3701.jpg

DH ordered the blue crab cake (with potato crust, green cabbage slaw, cognac mustard sauce, and remoulade) for his appetizer and he really enjoyed it. We live in Maryland and we eat a lot of crab cakes; the potato crust on this one made for a different taste/texture that we both really enjoyed.

_MG_3958.jpg

For my entrée I ordered the Loch Daurt Salmon (with Scotch whisky maple glaze, fruits and barley filled crepe, and buttered sweet asparagus). I really enjoyed this dish and the fruit and barley filled crepe was so much more tasty than it sounds.

IMG_3702.jpg

DH ordered the Sterling Silver Pork Chop (topped with smoked gouda and apricot preserve served over Napa cabbage, bacon and potato hash with apple cider jus). He loved it; the sweet and savory were a nice combination.

_MG_3962.jpg

For dessert, we both ordered the world famous Grapefruit Cake (Light Layers of Yellow Cake with fresh Grapefruit Cream Cheese Icing). Yum, yum, yum!!

_MG_3964.jpg

The Ratings:

Food
mickey.gif
3.5_Mickeys.png

minnie.gif
4_Mickeys.png

Summary: Loved that he let me order the half order of the cobb salad, our entire meal was delicious and well paced. We didn’t feel rushed and were able to enjoy being the “celebrities of the day.”

Decor
mickey.gif
3_Mickeys.png

minnie.gif
3_Mickeys.png

Summary: We both liked the open spacious dining room. The color theme was a lot of white and dark wood, which made for a nice contrast and helped the large area feel more personable. The drawings of various celebrities hanging on the walls were fun to look at.

Service
mickey.gif
3.5_Mickeys.png

minnie.gif
4_Mickeys.png

Summary: We both agreed that our server was wonderful. DH even commented that his subdued personality worked well with the theme of the restaurant, he was very attentive without being over the top. He wasn’t there all the time, but we always had our drinks refilled and dirty dished cleared away when we were finished.

Cost
$112.23 (2 credits per person)

Overall
mickey.gif
3.5_Mickeys.png

minnie.gif
3_Mickeys.png

Summary: Overall, we enjoyed our lunch at the Brown Derby very much! All three courses were delicious and our server was attentive without being overbearing. It was funny because at one point he came by and we were both writing notes in our dining books and he was like “What are you guys doing? Are you rating me? How am I doing?” :thumbsup2

On Deck: Day 3: Lunch at Mama Melrose

Yay! A pic of the sterling pork chop. I've been searching for one of those. (Sad, I know.) Hmm...may have to try that in September. Thanks for all the great reviews! And congrats on the baby making!

~Beka~

Excellent reviews!! Your food at Boma's looks absolutely delicious, especially the desserts. The cobb salad you ordered looks great as well!! It's so neat that you got to open the Hollywood Brown Derby!

These are the best dining reviews I've ever seen.. keep it up, keep it up.

I'm going 9/30 with BF. I haven't been in 2 years, and he's only been once for a day trip. We're doing 4 nights, so I'm really struggling with all the great restaurant choices. I KNOW I want Jiko (he's from South Africa) and California Grille.

We're doing the regular dining plan.

This is so fun.....I could read these all day.

PamNC

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter