Test Track to open in 44 days

cvjw

DIS Veteran
Just took the Undiscovered Future World tour, and was at the part of the tour that is behind the scenes at Test Track. Our guide was showing us the new cars, and giving us some details on the new ride. She said she wasn't sure when the new Test Track was slated to open, but just then, one of the Test Track Imagineers walked by. She asked him when opening day was, and he said "in 44 days". She got all excited to know this info, as they didn't know it yet in guest relations where she worked. Just FYI, in case anyone is interested! We thought it was kinda neat to hear the info from the Imagineer that is working on the new Test Track.

Just took the Undiscovered Future World tour, and was at the part of the tour that is behind the scenes at Test Track. Our guide was showing us the new cars, and giving us some details on the new ride. She said she wasn't sure when the new Test Track was slated to open, but just then, one of the Test Track Imagineers walked by. She asked him when opening day was, and he said "in 44 days". She got all excited to know this info, as they didn't know it yet in guest relations where she worked. Just FYI, in case anyone is interested! We thought it was kinda neat to hear the info from the Imagineer that is working on the new Test Track.

I will remain hopeful but skeptical, sorry.

The WDW website has it on the calendar as closed until November 30, 2012, that 44 days would mean it was about 2 weeks ahead of schedule. Not unheard of-- it could happen-- but I wouldn't count on it until I saw something official.

The Imagineer does not issue the final occupancy permit; the local code official does, so he is not the final say.

Someone else will be scheduling staff to do final cleaning; run through and determine if security is up and running; staff will need to be scheduled to cover the opening; facilities people and maintenance will need to be trained in the maintenance of the new system - all of which the Imagineer has no control over.

So in short, while the Imagineer is hopeful it will happen, a lot of other people have to work towards that goal to achieve.

I work as an architect and a construction manager for Division of Facilities Management, so we go through the same thing every time we open up a new/renovated facility. You hope a lot goes well; but a lot can go wrong.

It is an extremely complicated ride due to safety reasons. So if there is any question at all about safety it won't open. That's why it's original opening was delayed. They had to rewrite the control software.

Just hoping that it is open by May when we will be there. It has been down our 2 last visits.

ktlm said:
The WDW website has it on the calendar as closed until November 30, 2012, that 44 days would mean it was about 2 weeks ahead of schedule. Not unheard of-- it could happen-- but I wouldn't count on it until I saw something official.

Especially since most other rumors have it *behind* schedule.

Just hoping that it is open by May when we will be there. It has been down our 2 last visits.

I think even the most pessimistic among us would feel fairly safe guessing it would be back up by May 2013.

Sounds like a throwaway comment the imagineer made to get the guide to shut up about it. He's probably tired of answering the same question every day as the backstage tours cycle through. I'm kind of surprised he didn't say "8 years, 2 months, 17 hours, 54 minutes, and 12 seconds! Approximately!"

No one knows an exact date at this point.... it's still waaaaaaaaaay too far from completion. A multitude of events could cause delays, at this point. Not to mention, as PPs have pointed out, it's not even entirely up to Disney staff.

Everyone - please take the comment with a grain of salt. The Imagineer could have said nothing, but he didn't - he gave a specific date. Our tour guide was giddy with the news - she couldn't wait to go back to guest services to let everyone else know. Was the Imagineer telling us the truth? Who knows - he said 44 days, smiled and walked off. Our guide also told us one other tidbit of knowledge. She said that she is behind the scenes at Test Track 2-3 days a week, and the workers have really stepped up the pace lately. She said there is alot more activity back there now than a few weeks ago.

The Imagineer does not issue the final occupancy permit; the local code official does, so he is not the final say.

Someone else will be scheduling staff to do final cleaning; run through and determine if security is up and running; staff will need to be scheduled to cover the opening; facilities people and maintenance will need to be trained in the maintenance of the new system - all of which the Imagineer has no control over.

So in short, while the Imagineer is hopeful it will happen, a lot of other people have to work towards that goal to achieve.

I work as an architect and a construction manager for Division of Facilities Management, so we go through the same thing every time we open up a new/renovated facility. You hope a lot goes well; but a lot can go wrong.

the imagineer may not have control over most of these things but typically with any project, someone (a project manager) has timeline for completion with deadlines. i am sure training, etc is built into that as well. i would assume the imagineer sits in on meetings where everyone makes sure they are on schedule and the latest meeting could have said its 44 days out. though, any project can have unexpected delays (permits, etc).

I've heard rumors on other sites of 11/21. Also heard the behind schedule rumors. I don't trust anything at Disney until it happens, but in order to meet the Fall 2012 deadline they set for themselves in print, that would require them to be done before 12/21... so here's hoping!! :)

Please! Can't it be 43 days? The last day of or vacation is 43 days from today. Even with all these negative comments about the early opening, I am going to keep my hopes up!

Please! Can't it be 43 days? The last day of or vacation is 43 days from today. Even with all these negative comments about the early opening, I am going to keep my hopes up!

Our last day will be 42 days from today.

I'll be on the lookout for any "soft" openings right up until that day. But I've already told the grandkids that Test Track will be closed, and I don't plan to say anything different to get their hopes up.

the imagineer may not have control over most of these things but typically with any project, someone (a project manager) has timeline for completion with deadlines. i am sure training, etc is built into that as well. i would assume the imagineer sits in on meetings where everyone makes sure they are on schedule and the latest meeting could have said its 44 days out. though, any project can have unexpected delays (permits, etc).

Exactly what I was thinking. My DH is a project engineer and even when a project isn't "his" if he is responsible for any part then he knows deadlines and how they are on the schedule. If that imagineer is doing any work on the project he knows completion dates and how it is going on schedule.

All the things that have been listed on here darn well should have been taken into account and already scheduled if their project engineers are worth their salt. And a project this big in the last 44 days should not be experiencing any new surprises or someone didn't do their job very well.

This isn't exactly Disney's first ride or project.

Being a Project Manager, albeit in telecomm, but same basic methodology applies across all industries, my opinion here would be the imagineer gave the date as per the last status update. It would be as good a date as any at this point. I would assume that once risk is low enough of no further delays, Disney will then officially communicate a date. This of course assumes that Imagineer is a member of that project team and not just passing along 2nd or 3rd hand info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter