Terrible Mickey Interaction at Animal Kingdom

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by meuseman, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ILUVALASKA

ILUVALASKA DIS Veteran

Thread will be locked in 5..4..3..2..1

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. rlilly79

rlilly79 Mouseketeer

Lol, my 2 year old son was fast asleep in his stroller during many of the pictures... so I agree, you capture a moment in time and laugh about it later

4. rlilly79

rlilly79 Mouseketeer

Lol lol lol why yes how did guess?? Lol i actually just noticed i spelled like a goof and went back for an edit...gotta love tiny phone keys!!!

5. Disney_Princess83

Disney_Princess83 DIS Veteran

I've never had them take photos and then sign, it's always been the other way around for us. I would absolutely complain about your experience.

6. Luvchefmic

Luvchefmic DIS Veteran

sorry a 2 y/o was crying sorry Mickey may not have noticed but honestly is the child even goin going to remember this ? Writing to WDW seems overboard to me, if this had not hsppened were you going to write to compliment the other interactions

I think what is disturbing the most is how rigid the child is and this behavior is being taught by example There's no joy when everything has to be regimented no room for flexibility and surprises in life Sorry I just don't see the trauma in this
    drama yes

7. TotalDreamer

TotalDreamer Mouseketeer

It seems pretty unreasonable that Mickey couldn't just sign first, especially since more time was wasted trying to do it the other way around and your kids were crying. Sorry that happened!

I definitely recommend explaining to your kids now though that sometimes they do things differently, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

:thumbsup:

8. Mom2six

Mom2six DIS Veteran

What I find disturbing about this is that the interaction was so regimented by Mickey. It is sort of like turning the human interaction into an assembly line. And also, I find it disturbing that so many people think it is okay to be rude to
    A little boy because he's just a kid. He asked Mickey to sign his book first and Mickey said no.

If you went to a restaurant and asked the waitress to bring coffee with your meal and she said no, she personally brings water first and won't bring coffee to dessert. Would you just go with the flow and agree you need to be flexible?

Also, what if you didn't want a picture at all? It is a meet and greet - I don't thnk pictures should be required. Maybe you just want to say hi and get an autograph. So many people said the 2 year old should be flexible, but he did not ask for anything unacceptable or that is not done. I think Mickey should have been flexible and changed up the Oder for the "guest".

9. DeluxePrincess

DeluxePrincess DIS Veteran

Sure, he could have done that, but not doing it wasn't a terrible thing to do. OP said he tried to intervene, but his DS was still upset. It's ok. Sometimes our kids get upset. You can't really be logical with a 2 year old. Hopefully his other interactions went smoothly.

10. kris4360

kris4360 DIS Veteran

She didn't call any one person a name, she was saying ignorant people in general. As for being banned from the board, you just start a new account.

11. Golf4283

Golf4283 Mouseketeer

I think this thread has gotten way out of hand and it seems to just be arguments about parenting.

Sounds like everyone is just going to have to agree to disagree here.

to the OP. You asked if anyone has had experience with this and I will just change my answer to no because I honestly never paid attention to the order of character greet events to begin with. I can't comment.

Good luck and hope your kids had a great rest of the trip!

12. Kona65

Kona65 Taking it slow and easy!

My thought is that Mickey should have signed the book, than took the picture. Why did Mickey, and the handler have to make such a big deal out of it? TDBIASWS :thumbsup2

13. kris4360

kris4360 DIS Veteran

Exactly We don't know why! We are only hearing one side of the story so nobody can give advice.

14. smitch425

smitch425 DIS Veteran

Her posts were getting heated and sarcastic, and I just wanted to let her know the rules so she didn't get in trouble. :goodvibes As for a new account, you must have me confused with someone else because I have never been banned and I have only ever had one account, so I have absolutely no idea what you ate talking about. :confused3

15. Sam81

Sam81 Mouseketeer

OP -I hope you documented the time and place this happened. I would suggest filling out the comment card and sending an email/letter to WDW. This is completely unacceptable and that CM should no longer be employed. I am so sorry that you had to endure that hardship.

16. mdsoccermom

mdsoccermom DIS Veteran

Wow. I really hope this is sarcasm and that I'm just being a bit slow in picking up on it. Now we're calling for firings?

Because if it is serious, we are truly in the snowflake generation. Instead of teaching a child to adapt, we need to fire people who do not completely please the child.

17. ElCapitanAmerica

ElCapitanAmerica Earning My Ears

I was going to drop this, I think most that can be said has been said, but wow ... some people really think this is a "fireable" offense?

The restaurant comparisons earlier don't really apply. Restaurants have applied cultural norms that have been established for at least hundreds if not thousands of years.

We don't have such a thing for getting signatures and pictures of people dressed up as imaginary corporate characters. "Mickey" also has a lot of limitations, I'm not surprised he can't "even see" or understand most of what is going on a lot of the time. You could make the case that his "handler" could have been more flexible, but again if they politely stated what they understood the policy to be (even if they were wrong), it's not a big deal.

I don't mean it as a commentary on the general parenting of the OP, but just from the way it was described I think most of us can only advise on how to handle it from a parent's perspective, and I think you've gotten a lot of advise in this area. You're free to completely dismiss it and disagree with it of course.

18. meowmarie

meowmarie DIS Veteran

"Endure that hardship?" Really? Sorry but enduring a hardship would be having to cancel your WDW trip because your spouse loses their job, or because your parents took ill. And you think someone should be fired because they didn't understand an interaction with a child that had already gotten Mickey's autograph twice? I mean wow, seriously. Maybe you're being sarcastic, my meter is off lol. But I think everyone is a little to blame here and should have been more flexible, no reason to ruin someone's life over it.

19. kris4360

kris4360 DIS Veteran

I wasn't talking about you! Sheesh!

20. MrsDuck

MrsDuck DIS Veteran

Ditto.

Yeah, I'm not really understanding the issue. Sometimes, in big corporations, things change. Like the autograph/picture policy. Big whoop. I'm sorry your little ones were confused but I don't see how this could be labeled as a "terrible" interaction. :confused3

21. angelmav

angelmav DIS Veteran

Wow. Kids cry when meeting characters ALL THE TIME. Especially 2 year olds. I imagine Mickey/handler had no idea why this particular 2 year old was crying, almost from the instant that the kid was put forth in front of Mickey.

1. Shocked this is posted here.
    2. Shocked so many people have such a strong opinion.
    3. Glad I don't work in customer service!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.