Terrible Mickey Interaction at Animal Kingdom

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by meuseman, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smitch425

smitch425 DIS Veteran

:rotfl: Why are you so shocked? It was right there in the first post. He picked up his kid and his wife took the books from Mickey. :goodvibes

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mousermerf

mousermerf DIS Veteran

Previously someone made a comment to me - not on the DIS, just in life - that people in the theme park fandom suffered from mental illness. I thought this was a very nasty blanket statement and didn't give it much thought or credence.

I have since spent more time reading this forum. The way people react to things boggles the mind. It's not healthy.

4. MrRomance

MrRomance Planning and Plotting

I genuinely don't see the validity in the complaint here. I'm not aware of any "hard and fast" rules about character M&Gs! A 5 year old and 2 year old can not be considered "experienced" at anything. They may have gone through the process several times, but that doesn't make them experienced and it doesn't mean that this particular M&G has to go the same way as others they have experienced.

Whether or not Mickey was having an off day is really not the issue here. The issue for me is that the OP was told that Mickey would comply with their expectation just in a different order. In this circumstance, I would have explained that to my children, completed the process and moved on.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm left :confused3 here. I don't see the problem and I don't see any real reason to complain.

5. minnie mum

minnie mum Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

So let me see if I've got this straight.... Anyone who happens to disagree with the OP is a Disney Apologist. This is what you are saying? Kind of a narrow view, wouldn't you say? And because we have voiced a contrary opinion to the OP's actions and opinion, then we must be automatically branding the OP as a terrible parent? Again, a rather sweeping and baseless generalization. Over-exaggerated and taken to an extreme.

I don't really care if it was Mickey Mouse or the Easter bunny. I don't care if this happened at WDW or at the local mall. I don't agree with what the OP did and I don't think any blame for this incident falls on Mickey's shoulders. I don't think, in this instance, that the parents handled the situation well. This does not mean that I think the OP is a bad parent. It means that I think the OP was human and perhaps had an unfortunate moment. The fact that I am a WDW fan is immaterial- that does not make me, automatically a Disney apologist. I can find plenty about WDW to criticise- feel free to read some of my posts on other threads.

It really burns my bacon when I see posts like this that sees any opposing views as coming from a so called "Disney Apologist". A meaningless term that is bandied about with too little thought.

6. mousermerf

mousermerf DIS Veteran

I believe the term you need to remember is "snowflake." It'll all make sense once you process that tidbit.

7. mousermerf

mousermerf DIS Veteran

He's not talking about just your response/reaction. He (or she, i dunno) is talking about several posts combined and the general mentality.

8. Iforgetmypassword

Iforgetmypassword "I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Me too. :confused3

9. michsig

michsig DIS Veteran

Honestly, what's the big deal? Just because the order in which you're used to didn't occur, I don't really see that as a problem?

10. meredith1

meredith1 DIS Veteran

And with that, I am off with a giggle....you made my day.

11. starjazz

starjazz DIS Veteran

I never called you specifically anything at all. You presuppose that this thread even called for "opposing views". The OP posted his experience, and asked if it had happened to anyone else. He didn't ask for an analysis of his or his wife's parenting abilities.

There are a whole lot of people in this thread and others that are SOOOOO in love with Disney that there is just NOOOOO way that any of their employees could do any wrong. Those are the apologists, whether you like the term or not. Its a description of a certain type of person.

I doubt the OP cares whether you personally think he did the right thing in the moment or not. If people only had 2 paragraph glimpses into my daily life, I doubt they'd paint an accurate picture of my parenting skills, or husband(ing) skills, or anything else.

And by the way, I love burned bacon - the crispier the better. :)

12. Jacquie668

Jacquie668 Mouseketeer

You're not a bad parent and if anyone is implying that then just ignore them. It isn't worth the trouble. Some people just like to wallow in drama and use that drama to hurt and attack others.

As for what happened, I can see how the situation would be negative for you and your son. I do think that some of the actions of Mickey were misunderstood and not intentional to hurt your son, like hiding the book behind his back. I think that was an attempt to be "childlike teasing," but obviously it did not work. You could give feedback officially to Disney, you never know, every little bit of feedback helps.

I can understand and appreciate your point of view OP and yes the situation probably could have been handle better on both sides, but hey we all have bad moments happen. That doesn't make you a bad parent because you made a choice to comfort your child! It just was a bad situation, which I hope never happens for you again!

On a side note, don't feel the trolls! Ignore em! :thumbsup2

Exactly.

13. minnie mum

I realize that s/he was speaking in generalities. That was my point. A sweeping generality and baseless condemnation. I'm not saying Disney Apologists don't exist. But that poster appeared to be tarring all of the dissenting posters with the same brush.

14. tlkgt76

tlkgt76 "If you can dream it, you can do it." Walt Disney

That's what I was thinking too.

I didn't quite agree with the OP's reaction to the situation and it's not the way I would have handled it, but that doesn't mean I stated that this person was a bad parent.

The only point I have is that over-reacting by a parent could cause over-reacting by their child. Remember the anti-drug commercials on TV, "I learned it by watching you!"? That's what comes to mind. Kids, even as young as infants pick up on the moods of their parents and react. Two year olds will unhappy at times, that's life. I'm pretty sure the same child will have situations later in life where plans will change and they'll have to learn how to appropriately deal with it. Would I expect said child to deal with it rationally at two years old? No. That's why it could have been considered a learning opportunity.

This is a discussion board. You can't post ANYTHING without the expectation that somebody, at least one person, will disagree. It's OK to disagree and discuss it. It's OK for somebody to have an opinion that's different from yours.

15. nchulka

nchulka <font color=purple>it was funny when the creepy gu

I think this IS the problem. Parents go around making things so perfectly perfect for their kids all the time that jr. can't deal when things don't go his way! Kids that realize early on the world doesn't revolve around them will be much better suited to deal with issues when they come up than ones who have lived with the delusion that everything is supposed to be fair and perfect all the time. Parents who pave the way for their kids and make sure they see no injustice are not doing them a favor!

I do believe the pp who posted this was being sarcastic, at least I hope he was!

16. minnie mum

Do you know what happens when someone posts something on a public forum? People will comment. People will voice opinions. Some of them will be "opposing views", whether the OP wanted them or not. That's what public forums are for. You may not like what you read all the time, but it's the nature of the beast. You may disagree with the substance of a contrary response. But being outraged over the very existence of a dissenting opinion is naive at best.

17. Granny square

Granny square Always planning a trip!

I don't think that the road should be paved but I also know that we all carry expectations and are affected when those expectations aren't met. Yes, we need to learn that skill, and in this instance a simple redirect would have probably settled the issue, but expecting a two year old to not react when something goes awry is a bit much. I just vacationed with a bunch if sick people. Everyday I had to choose to let go of expectations and enjoy what actually is. Surprisingly difficult at 50 some days! And mine was anything but paved!!!

18. MikeOhio

MikeOhio Mouseketeer

When Disney does something wrong (like terrible ride maintenance) people on the forum jump all over them. I expect alot of disney and criticize them when they mess up (which is fairly often). But in this case Disney did absolutely nothing wrong and saying that doesn't make me an apologist. An apologist excuses bad behavior. Here there was no bad behavior to excuse. Also I'm sure the OP expected comments on the situation considering they posted in on a MESSAGE BOARD.

19. psac

psac DIS Veteran

How about they get rid of the whole autograph thing completely. That would really speed things up in the lines, and prevent incidents like this. Pictures make sense. Autographs? nahh.

20. davedmaine

davedmaine DIS Veteran

Spoiler alert: You guys know that Mickey is just a person in a costume, right?

21. tlkgt76

tlkgt76 "If you can dream it, you can do it." Walt Disney

WHAT?!?!?!?!? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lmao:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.