Terapin's Journal: 5 yrs running! Couch to Goofy, Fracture to Fab, Baby to Dopey. Comments welcome!

I finally got the chance to read your whole journal....and all I can say is wow! This was just what I needed to push me back out the door. I had been a "runner" awhile back, managing 3-6 mile runs...but then I just stopped. Now that I've started this new adventure, I've wanted to get back into it, but I've been so self-conscious about it this time around. Reading your journey was just what I needed!!! Thanks!!!

Thanks for posting that - that was really sweet! :love:

I get lots of inspiration from reading others' posts - I've been reading yours too!

Hi Carolynn -

just read this thread from start to finish -- WOW! Your journey has been so inspirational. All of your hard work and determination has really paid off. I hope you are enjoying a much earned rest. (Ha -- I know vacations are sometimes hard work, too! But at least it's DIFFERENT hard work, right?)

You look great and happy and (though this sounds a little strange, coming from a stranger...) I'm really proud of you.

Can't wait to keep feeling inspired by you as you reach your next goal!

Best,
Sunny

P.S. -- Happy belated birthday!

I didn't reply before - oops. Thanks for posting. And that for being proud of me! Doesn't sound strange at all. :hug:

Glad your trip is going well! And how exciting to be in any of those Disney races!! Go you!! :-)

Glad to hear you liked the Grand Californian. It truly is a wonderful resort. I love the pool area especially! The special entrance to CA is also great.

Have a great week!
Mike

It was SPECTACULAR! Loved it. Can't wait to go back someday.

Glad to hear you had a great trip! I'll be staying at the Grand Californian for the first time in October. Unfortunately, it won't be with the family as I have a business trip there and coincidentally, the GF is one of the host hotels! Lucky me! lol.

Way to go keeping up your working out while you were on vacation!

Glad to hear you had a great trip! I'll be staying at the Grand Californian for the first time in October. Unfortunately, it won't be with the family as I have a business trip there and coincidentally, the GF is one of the host hotels! Lucky me! lol.

Way to go keeping up your working out while you were on vacation!

I think you will really like it. It is a beautiful hotel. What a nice business trip destination!

Today was a great day. We did the Fiery Furnace hike in Arches NP. It was terrific - harder than we anticipated but not *too* hard. It was a very good trail hike that was mostly full body rock climbing, jumping, sliding, crevice creeping, canyon wall shuffling and scrabbling. Very intense and oh-my-god amazing. Also helped 5 year old accomplish same which added intensity and effort. Loved it.

Then we did a short hike to some of the arches. In total, did about 3.5 hours of serious hiking.

Ate a yummy lunch-dinner of fried chicken, quinoa salad and baby romaine and orange salad. The fried chicken wasn't the best choice, but oh so satisfying after a long active day. It wasn't very greasy and I didn't eat all of the skin. Breakfast was a cheese sandwich on whole wheat and a blueberry, milk, water and ice smoothie. I also had a 100 calorie bag of baked cheesies on the trail (needed something salty), and later a coffee, and a Starbucks skinny mocha (only a bit: the kids stole most of it!). So I am done eating for today, unless I have some raspberries for a snack. Not a great day, but not too bad.

Soon we are heading swimming where I will do some laps. Total exercise today should be about 4 hours of serious activity. I am pleased with that.

Hope you have a great night!

Good morning! Back home since Sunday and falling back into life. I am blessed to be off until the end of July. Woo hoo!

Weight still coming down. Have lost 52 pounds - sitting at 218! Loving that being under 200 is so close...

Last night was my first session back with my Coach. I was hoping to have a few minutes to talk to him to refocus and understand what my summer would look like. However, he was pretty busy and had someone else right after me, so after our session, I just got a few moments to talk to him. Have sent an email with some questions around pacing and goal times.

My next race is next Thursday. I am running the Angus Glen 5 miler. Apparently it is a hilly course, as it is set on a golf course. Afterwards there is a nice dinner. I'm not sure of a goal time yet, but thinking about 56-58 minutes.

Last night was a track night of 800m repeats. I did 6 plus warm up and cool down for a total of 8k. I ran over all 7:30 including the active recovery walks, and ran the 800m repeats all about 6:48/km. I was really happy to see the speed picking up! Apparently the plan is for more track work - next week is shorter intervals I think.

Today is the last discount day for the Goofy. I think I am planning on doing it. It means running a half in the fall says my Coach, rather than having the Marathon weekend at Disney be my first half. I'm feeling like a bit of an impostor signing up for Goofy as a newbie runner - like if I think I am at that caliber that is laughable. But shooting high is good, right?

Hi Carolynn -

Welcome back! Your trip sounds wonderful. DH's parents are coming for a visit from the UK in September and we're taking them down to do a "canyon lands" road trip. I don't think we'll be able to get much hiking in (they're a little frail) but I should be able to at least get my runs in most mornings.

About Goofy -- having read your journal I know you have the determination to accomplish anything you set your mind to! As long as you are willing to go into the training with a goal -- and perhaps be flexible with that goal -- you can have a fantastic time. When we did the Goofy in 2010, our original goal was to finish happy -- and our strategy was to walk most of the half and then run the full. But when DH broke a bone in his foot in November, 2009, our goal was just to get to the starting line both days! (With a stretch goal of finishing, of course!)

I hope to see you in January. :)

I've only read a small portion of your journal and I've got to dash but I just wanted to say congratulations! I'll be doing the 1/2 in January so hopefully I'll see you long enough to cheer you on in the Goofy!

I've only read a small portion of your journal and I've got to dash but I just wanted to say congratulations! I'll be doing the 1/2 in January so hopefully I'll see you long enough to cheer you on in the Goofy!

Thanks! That would be cool to meet other WISHers!

Hi Carolynn -

Welcome back! Your trip sounds wonderful. DH's parents are coming for a visit from the UK in September and we're taking them down to do a "canyon lands" road trip. I don't think we'll be able to get much hiking in (they're a little frail) but I should be able to at least get my runs in most mornings.

About Goofy -- having read your journal I know you have the determination to accomplish anything you set your mind to! As long as you are willing to go into the training with a goal -- and perhaps be flexible with that goal -- you can have a fantastic time. When we did the Goofy in 2010, our original goal was to finish happy -- and our strategy was to walk most of the half and then run the full. But when DH broke a bone in his foot in November, 2009, our goal was just to get to the starting line both days! (With a stretch goal of finishing, of course!)

I hope to see you in January. :)

Thanks for the reply! I am definitely just hoping to finish the Marathon. The Half will be my real race. I know it means a lot of training - that's what I am afraid of. The race will be relatively easy compared to all the training days!

Heading out for a bike ride for 45-60mins then trying out my new medicine ball and bosu board!

Good evening!

Had a good run tonight, not long though because of the heat. Went 4k plus 1k warm up and cool down. Ran it at a good pace: 7:21/k. The temp was scorching and it was super humid. Blech.

Bought a bosu ball and medicine ball. Going to start on core and foot strengthening. Seeing the physio tomorrow. That is my quick update!

Having lost all sense, I just signed up for the Tower of Terror 10 miler. :scared1: I'm running with Autism Speaks. If any of you folks would be willing to sponsor me for this run, even $5, I should would appreciate the support and it is a great charity to give to. PM me should you be interested! Thanks!

Still running every other day or so. Ran 4k last night at a good pace. Today or tomorrow is a long run. Eek!

Today I did a long run - about 10-10.5 miles/16-18k. My watch died during it. It was a trail run that turned into a train run/hike due to getting lost on the way back and adding an additional 75 minutes to our run! I thought I was reading the trail blazes correctly, but we ended up at the same loop twice, and almost a third time. Got out of there finally with help from my iphone compass. LOL Was on my feet either running or hiking for 3.25 hours. Tired now. Had a gel with me and some water, but should have had more. Lesson learned. Home now and had a recovery packet in some coconut milk (I think about 12g protein in total) and having some noodles. Will focus on more protein later.

Tomorrow is track.

Today was a track day. Felt really good, performed really well. At one point my Coach, who just did an Iron Man yesterday as training for his 100 miler in September, said, "you're really running out there, not jogging, RUNNING!!" which was a huge compliment, because, of course, I am/have been slow. But I am getting faster!

I did a 1.6k warm up, then 8x 400 meter repeats at 6:20/k with an active recovery in between of about 60 seconds/100 meters, then off again. Then a 1.6k cooldown. In total was 7.2k.

Tomorrow is a bike day with my new clips and shoes. Gone is casual biking. Coach said I need to get out for 2 hour bike rides as part of my cross training 2-3x a week on my non-running days. This is what I get for signing up for Goofy. His training plan includes lots of back to back running. I need all the time I can get with my ambitious plan, and really can't get injured. I have a lot of endurance to build.

If and when I succeed, I think he will have good bragging rights as a coach to take me from a very newbie slow runner to doing the Goofy in less than a year.

Very happy to make plans for the TOTTM today: got our hotel and flights booked, and even some meals! DH and I are staying at the GF CL for our first night, and then Kidani on our second (we will really just be there for sleeping as we plan to be out late at the after party). Excited to make it an adults weekend. DH and I are both running the 5k in the morning, and I am running the 10 miler in the evening. It is part of Coach's plan for back to back runs. In September I also have a 10k, then a 5k zombie run later that day - I was contemplating doing both, but now it is part of my training plan. Eek!

TOmorrow I am seeing the physio again. My shin pain went away with the extra rest on vacation and shorter runs, but she has tested my right foot as being far less flexible and weaker than my left. My hips are also very tight, as are my calves. Last week was active release and some acupuncture. This week she is going to teach me some exercises to improve my foot flexbility and ankle strength. Very excited to be actively working on stuff.

FInally, I am experimenting with energy and recovery stuff. Bought lots of different kind of gels, electrolyte tabs and protein stuff for post-running. With my long trail run yesterday my hands were quite swollen, and I had a bit of nausea and a mild headache. I know I needed electrolytes, but just had water. So, I will now use the electrolyte tabs and see how that goes.

After running tonight I had a great dinner of a protein shake, some raspberries and some seaweed salad. I had a small meal about 2 hours before my run of some salty bbq chicken and some carrot juice. I'm ashamed to admit that lunch was a hotdog at Costco and a Coke Zero. :scared1: It was a really good hotdog though, and I loaded it with onions, sauerkraut and mustard, so at least I enjoyed it. Breakfast was a coffee, and orange and toast. Not a great day. We were out of most things, including fruits and veggies, but now the fridge is stocked full. Tomorrow dinner is salad (arugula and spinach) and baked salmon and quinoa.

Apparently I am a chatty Cathy tonight. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter