• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Terapin's Journal: 5 yrs running! Couch to Goofy, Fracture to Fab, Baby to Dopey. Comments welcome!

Yesterday was a rest day. Today I ran 4k at a tempo pace (almost - missed my tempo time by about 10 seconds a kilometer). Was about 7:23/km. Also did 20 minutes of core work. Total kilometres this week is 25.

Fundraising for my ToT run is going well: half-way to my goal. Have asked permission to post link here.

Tomorrow is a 3k tempo run with my group. Should get in a bike ride, too, for some cross-training.

Weight is staying steady, bloody *&#$

Yesterday I abandoned my short 3k tempo run in favour of a hike on a hiking trail where the highlight of the hike was a river hike in the stones and rocks and water. The water was up to our knees and it is such good exercise for my feet and ankles as I had to place each footstep. The water was warm and refreshing. The best part was my hiking companions: my three kids, my sister, and three of her four kids. The cousins loved the hike and got very wet. I took lots of pictures - will post one later. It really was a halcion days kind of afternoon. Our hike stopped at a train trestle bridge, and while the kids lounged on the rocks submerged a train came by, whistle-blowing and all.

After the hike we came back to my place and we made homemade sushi and miso soup. We also had seaweed salad and kimchi. My sister and I sat on the patio while the kids bounced on the trampoline. No surprise that my 5 year old slept almost 12 hours last night! :rotfl2:

Tonight is a 4k steady run with my running group.

So close! Only $35 away from my goal of $750 in my TOT Autism Now fundraising. There is a contest to win park passes if you raise $750 by July 15th. Now I am super excited to be so close. Maybe I will win those passes - that would be awesome. I would use 2 for my ToT weekend and 2 for my Goofy weekend.

Hi Carolynn!

I feel like I've been super absent from the boards -- just getting caught up on your journal. Glad you're going Goofy in 2013! And I'm sorry that things didn't work out with your coach -- but glad the "break up" went well.

Have a great weekend!
Sunny

Thanks Sunny!

Been plagued by some digestion problems x3 days. I'm trying to flush everything out. I think I ate too much kimchi :rotfl:

Yesterday was a non-running day but I went for a good brisk 45 minute walk. Today is just 3k at a steady pace (no intervals) and tomorrow is 9k with 10:1 intervals. The weather here, as in many places, is hot and humid. Very hot. Will drink lots of water and try to run early. I'm not running now, so today I failed on the run early part. However, just 3k should be ok. I am also going to get in 20 minutes core (UPDATE: did 15 minutes core and 15 minutes upper body - my arms are now slightly slow on the uptake lifting glasses).

We are having friends for dinner - yay!

Super excited to have my dining plans booked today for the marathon weekend. Have all my plans for the ToT race too, except the 5k race registrations and dining plan added. I will do that next month when I have the cash.

Have made my fundraising goal! Now to exceed it. So keeping my fingers crossed that I win those passes! That would be awesome.

I was a bad runner and didn't do my run yesterday. I did core and upper body conditioning and am sore today! I did walk Friday the 3k I was supposed to run on Saturday, but...

Today I ran 9k - took me 1:13:00 or about 8:00/km. Feel good and worn out.

Today it is super humid - like 75% and 80 degrees out. Luckily no sun. At around 3k I got super hot hot hot. Felt like I couldn't cool down, so I walked. Walked for about a km and then picked it up again and finished strong. Strong enough that my time was in the target zone for our running club. I had been at the back of the pack, but after my little walking siesta I picked it up and approached these two young guys. As soon as they saw me behind them they started running again (ego maybe couldn't take being chicked by a fat chick!). But soon enough I passed them and finished well ahead of them. I think they went out too fast. Anyways, I was cheered by that because they *looked* much fitter than I but I ran better.

Going to eat and hit the bathtub. My knee is a bit sore. Will likely have a nap too as I didn't sleep well last night. Had caffeine too late and then had a horrible dream. Lazy Sunday after a good hard run is sweet.

Got out for a 3k run (well, run/walk actually). Was extremely hot (almost 100 degrees), humid and so sunny. Got through it anyways because the schedule said I had to. DD and I going to a movie tonight so wanted to get in the run.

Yay for determination.

Today was 15 minutes core and 15 minutes upper body weights. I will be doing 4k steady tonight at running group. Feeling good. Want this weight to shift. Weight is stable, though.

Maybe I should try logging my food:

Coffee with milk and tsp honey
low fat yogurt pot

english muffin with slice processed cheese and one egg (no oil)

Still stuck on a plateau.

I ate really well yesterday. Dinner was stir-fry snap peas and bok choi, plus vegetarian dumplings, roast chicken. Fresh strawberries for dessert. After my run I had a small bowl of Mesa Sunrise (gluten free multigrain cereal) with milk.

This morning I am starting off with vanilla greek yogurt (meant to get the plain but grabbed the wrong thing), fresh strawberries, and some coffee.

My mid-morning snack was some cherry tomatoes with a little olive oil, a little sesame oil, some apple cider vinegar and some sesame seeds. I think I will aim for a lunch with little or no sugars as my morning food has had sugars in it.

Update: Lunch was some lean turkey over arugula and spinach with some more of the sesame dressing (homemade, very lightly dressed).

Snack was 6 whole wheat and sesame crackers with 2 tbsp queso dip (salsa and cheese dip).

Pre-run light dinner: 2 cups of thai noodles in curry soup

After run dinner: baked salmon over arugula and spinach greens, glass milk, 30g dried strawberries and raspberries, coconut water, 3/4 c vanilla ice cream

Today I did 3k at 7:20/km

Did my 4k yesterday. :cool1: Ran it at 7:30 which is a tad slow for the pace I should have been keeping which was destroyed by a short walk for Ventolin, water and a nose wipe- LOL. Today is another 4k.

Poor DH is also trying to lose weight and he lost his first 25# crazy fast (he wasn't being stupid, it just came off quickly). Now, despite going to the gym and really working out 5x week and watching his diet carefully, he is also at a plateau. I think he is building muscle - but it is so discouraging for us both.

When I look back 6 weeks ago I was 5 pounds heavier - so it is going - I just haven't lost anything in 3 weeks. Hopefully watching my diet closer and continuing on the core and weights will help shift it. I'm not really sure what I am doing any different?

Anyhow, it is more about the life changes than the weight loss, and here's to hoping that the weight loss will follow... :hippie:

Weight is up a little this morning but I am feeling bloated. I seem to be hovering between 215-218. Gotta keep my eyes on the horizon and keep strong. It is discouraging though.

Today I am having lunch with some friends/business partners and heading to my sister's place. We are taking the kids to a waterpark (just the small neighbourhood kind), taking a hike, and then my sister and I are going for a run. It isn't a run day for me, but she has run so many times with me around my neighbourhood that it seems only fair that I allow her to show me hers.

(Just saw a lovely purple finch outside my deck doors! The birds are crazy active this morning).

It is lovely and cool this morning and breezy - we may not do the waterpark thing if it doesn't warm up I realize.

Tomorrow I am doing my LSD of 9k. Thinking of trying some shorter intervals to see how that feels a la Gallaway. I need to also do some core today or tomorrow.

Breakfast:
-coffee with milk and honey (1/2 teaspoon)
-multigrain seed bread toast with small amount butter
-glass of milk (children's glass size)

Lunch:
Indian buffet, staying away from bread and too many carbs, focussing on the tandoori meats and veggie dishes

Yesterday I got in a quick run at the end of the day 10pm. Just 3k and slow. Had been feeling gross all day due to a headache and nausea.

Got up at 645 this morning so I could do a 9k run before heading out of town. The kids and I are going to camp! I volunteer as a camp 'nurse' and the kids get to go to the camp. It is a nice outdoor-crafts-games-swimming kinda of camp: old school. Just fuelling up now for my run. Had a pear, small sachet of instant oatmeal with a tsp honey, coffee and water. Still not feeling 100%. Thinking of doing some short intervals today a la Gallaway and see how it goes.

Yesterday was exciting: we bought a new car! We have a 2008 Honda Odyssey we are replacing. I love that van but the payments are high and it is out of warranty now. For work I need something ultra reliable and the car is starting to show its age. We bought a VW Tiguan! It is top of the line and loaded and we got an amazing deal through one of the clients of my clinic. The payments are hundreds less per month. While we will be making payments for 3 more years than we would have on the van, we realized that we likely would not have kept the car much past the time that the loan was paid off, so it was smart to get rid of it now and start saving the difference in payment. I have tended to get a new car every 4 years and can mostly write it off.

Weight is still stable.

OK, gotta run! Literally!

Got my run in. Made a mistake and ran 3:2 instead of 3:1 :rotfl2: Finished feeling great! :rotfl: My per km time was 8:20, which is just a bit slower than usual, which totally surprised me. Maybe this Galloway guy has a clue. :joker:
Going to try 3:1 and see how it goes, but likely will do 5:1 and try to get close to a km in with each interval.

I am at camp now - which is quite boring for me. Not much to do beyond entertaining myself, and I have to stay available to kids so I can't really wander around much. Will go down to the pond later. I also have to entertain the 5 year old who isn't old enough for camp yet. It is very hard to fit in a run. My mom might come tomorrow which will be nice to have the company and someone to entertain the little.

I am going to try and do 20 minutes of core each day. I have a 10k race (Stomp the mega Quarry) on Saturday. So maybe this week is like a taper (not that I would normally taper much for a 10k).

It is hard to not want to snack out of boredom. Brought tea and coffee to hopefully stave off the munchies.

Got in a 3k run at 7:40/km on a very steep gravel driveway and the rolling hills surrounding camp. Part of this run was on part of the route for Saturday's race. Definitely not a flat course.

Also got in 20 minutes of core (mostly glutes and hip muscles) and 15 minutes upper body.

Camp is going well - my mom came to visit and help with my little one, and to keep me company.

Feeling good physically. If I were at home I would expect the scale to be going south. Will have to wait and see.

Looking forward to getting home and getting the new car. I go back on call on Monday at 11am and have mixed feelings about that. I have had an amazingly long vacation of 10 weeks, and am grateful for that. Has been just terrific. I gotta go back to my responsibilities. As a partner in the business I have stayed involved, but not truly shouldering my part while off. My two other partners are off on vacation for August and September, so it is my turn to shoulder the business responsibilities. I am also looking forward to reconnecting with my pregnant mamas and seeing their babies birthed. I can't complain: I am off for the month of October. Being on call for me is 24/7 except one weekend a month. At times it is 90 hours a week of work, other weeks just 30 or so. It is hard to stick to a training schedule with my hours, especially now with running 5 days a week. But I seem to manage ok, but often at the expense of sleep.

Hoping to get in 5k tomorrow morning before my mom leaves camp. Then I think I will take off from running until Saturday's race. The hill going up to the road is brutal: not sure I want to run it again as it started me off brutally. Maybe I will do it at the end of my run tomorrow... Maybe the rolling hills are enough (they really are good rolling hills: the kind that swallow cars at their nadirs).

Have been analyzing my runs as I feel so slow. What I found was somewhat surprising: my short runs are faster than they were in April and May: about 00:10 to 00:30/km faster. My long runs however, have been a bit slower, 00:13 to 00:19/km slower. This tells me I need to push a little more on the longer runs. I am running about 7:30-7:40/km on my shorter 3-5k runs, and about 8:00-8:15/k on my longer runs. I am running about 21k a week right now, ran 18k a week in June, ran 23k/week in May, and 25/k a week in April. My mileage will go up quite a bit as I prepare for the Half in October.

Just was interesting to see the stats.

This is my race report from my 10k Stomp the Mega Quarry Race on July 28th:

The race was billed as a diverse course that includes rolling country hills and trails. It was held in a little town. There were about 40 Half-marathoners, 39 10 k participants and about 250 10k walkers/5k runners/5k walkers. We parked away from town and were brought to the start line by hay wagon! Fun, but I was picking straw out of my shorts for awhile after I got there. Here is a pic of me on the hay wagon:

315428_10150947825841931_1156756277_n.jpg

The first 3k was on rolling gravel hills. The run went right past the camp I was being camp nurse at and DH and my little one greeted me and cheered me on, and gave me a wet washcloth :cheer2:

Then the route diverted into farmer's fields where a trail had been cut in the grass/hay. I stopped running at this point because the ground was so unstable, the grass was very hard, and there were dirt clumps that were hidden but causing me to turn over on my ankle even when I was being careful. Then came the hills:

484009_10150947846951931_1940287496_n.jpg

This wasn't the worst hill. It was long and steep though. I took this pic about half-way up. At the top was another hill! Then after those hills we diverted away from the 5k racers and through another field. Some women I had been running with were stopped ahead. This is why:

484559_10150947843306931_377015683_n.jpg

Those cows were lowing so loudly! They were not happy that we were in their space. First, we had to climb this:

550992_10150947863766931_630698627_n.jpg

Once over, we decided to go around the cows, who were standing right on the trail. We picked through the cow patties and around the cows, and then the trail turned to more forest (the Bruce Trail). In the forest there were more cow dung piles to step around and tree roots, and obstacles, so it was slow going in here. Another cow fence ladder thingie to go over.

Finally, we were out of the beautiful forest, and were rewarded with an unending gravel hill. It was BRUTAL. It was about a km long, and my watch said 10% grade. I'm not sure if that is a lot or not, but it kept going. A cute police officer checked on us, but drove away in his air conditioner cruise, quite cruel, actually. ;)

Finally we made it on to the regular rolling road again with finer gravel, and were rewarded with a water station, and some kind firefighters who sprayed us with water from their hoses (manual ones, not the high-pressure hoses!

We were on the final stretch. I realized that there were no runners behind us so I really pushed the last kilometer so I wouldn't be last to finish. I finished 15/17 of the women, but really we all finished within seconds of each other. I think my chip time made me the slowest by a few seconds of the running 10kers, but the gun time I wasn't the last. Small race - I knew that I might be last but that's ok!

557437_10150947865491931_813302852_n.jpg

560950_10150947852696931_1245566571_n.jpg

Don't think the photos are very flattering - but whatever!

My time was super slow: 1:38:01 but the trail was so challenging. It wasn't a road race - it was at least half trail, and completely hilly, even the road bits. The half-marathoners were all pretty slow - and they looked like strong runners - when I saw their finish times.

I guess I am a bit bummed that I finished so slowly, but I really wasn't racing and it was an enjoyable race, cows and hills and all. I had FUN. Even though I came alone I met some terrific women and so that was a bonus. They were more experienced runners than me with a half marathon under their belts and we agreed that it was a difficult race, and finished together. Just wish I were naturally faster with better endurance. But heck, I came out and finished. And I finished very, very strongly, running about a 6:30-6:45/km for the last 1.5k so I am happy with that. I finished with lungs burning and at 100% effort, so that is good. I'm just not willing to run on unstable ground, or where the likelihood of injury is very high. I just wish I had a time of which I could be proud.

Oh and I am finally working through my plateau: 214 today! 56 down, 15 to my next little goal, and 34 to my medium goal, 44 to my dream goal!

Oh, and I did a 4k trail run today. Tomorrow is a complete rest day (I have been working on my arms and core/abs as well) as everything is quite achy. I run again Tues, Wed (hill training!), Thurs, Sat and Sun (LSD of 10k).

And 213 today! Yay!

My kids are sick with the pukes, as is DH. So far I have been unscathed. On laundry and bucket cleaning duty before I head to work at 11. Oh joy! Ironic that the only night I lost sleep while I was on vacation was the night before I head back on call. I really would have preferred to be well-rested. Instead, I got to see every hour on the clock after being awoken by the sounds of imminent puking beside me from my 5 year old. Gosh my reflexes to get that bucket underneath him are fast! LOL! :rotfl:

Thank goodness today is a rest day from exercise.

Congrats on the 10k! That seems like one (crazy) fun race. Ugh on the family sickies. I hope everyone feels better soon and that you escape unscathed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter