• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Terapin's Journal: 5 yrs running! Couch to Goofy, Fracture to Fab, Baby to Dopey. Comments welcome!

Ugh - feeling quite upset in the tummy - eek! Hope I don't get what everyone else had...

On a good note I am just cooling down from a great run. I really pushed myself and ran 4k straight at 7:16/km pace. Super happy with that! Been feeling like my endurance is down and my speed is down and that was a really good run for me. Now to build on that!

Good morning!

Yesterday was a tough day. I had clinic from 9-6, attended a birth in the middle of it, and felt crappy all day. Laid down a few times - just low level nausea. Went to my run class even though I was feeling dreadful at that point, and figured I would do what I could do. We did about 8.75k. The first 2.5k was a run to the hills. I walked a wee bit as I was feeling so lousy. We did 3x 500m hill repeats (so 3k in total). I ran the hills, now with stomach cramps, but did walk the declines. I walked the 3k back - just wishing for a magic taxi to come pick me up. I felt dreadful. Came home, had a bath and hit the sack. I slept about 9-10 hours and feel back to normal this morning.

Happy to report that I am down to 212! That is a total of 58# lost! :cool1:

13 more pounds to leaving the 200s!!! That concept seems so surreal.

I skipped my run (which I hate doing, and feel so guilty about) on Thursday as I felt nauseous and so tired. I figured that the rest day would help me get back on my feet, and that a run might prolong my illness.

So I rested and now I feel back to normal!

Today is an easy run day of just 3k run steady. I am heading to a client's birth after that. I'd like to get in a bike ride today, too - I need the cross-training. Maybe DH and I can go out together.

I went for Pho soup on a quick date with DH and so didn't weigh this morning: that broth is so salty I have noticed that my weight is higher the next morning with presumed water retention. Will eat light today and flush it out. Breakfast so far has been a coffee, a banana and a small piece of fresh sourdough bread with a bit of butter. I will eat better after my run. We went shopping last night so the house is stocked with yummy food. I think dinner will be fish and stir-fry veg.

Yesterday's run went really well: just over 21 minutes. It was hot, humid and sunny (go Summer 2012!) but I ran well, and there was a breeze that made it bearable.

Today's run is 10k. I am up early to eat. Leaving home to join my running group in about 30 minutes. Breakfast was a yogurt, banana and coffee so far.

Yesterday I snacked too much. Back on the wagon today.

The weather looks ominous outside: grey, about to rain, but still getting warm for so early in the day (already 25c).

My little one wants to choose smiley guys:

:badpc::happytv::3dglasses:furious:

Got my 10k in. It was an easy paced run. Did it in 1:24 so 8:19/km/. Glad to be done. Was hot and humid and at times the air was so heavy and still. A nice breeze was around some corners, but some places it was miserable. All done!

Yesterday was a 4k tempo run. I was pretty slow but got it done without stopping.

Today was 8.5k with 4k of hill repeats. Quite sore now. Did it in 1:13:00. Feeling proud because I was called out to a birth last night at 1am and didn't get more than a couple hours of broken sleep afterwards, and had 8 hours of clinic before meeting my running group. Glad to be home. Heading into the bath.

Had a great homemade chocolate banana shake with bananas, cocoa powder,milk, water, and hemp hearts. Tired.

Yesterday was a 5.5k steady run in the light rain. Was nice for a change. Ran it at about 7:30/km. Did stop for about 2-3 minutes and walk briskly as I needed my ventolin and let my lungs cool down a bit. After that I was good and not only caught up with the gals I had been running with, but surpassed them!

Today I splurged. A lot. :confused3

First, I bought a pair of Newton Gravity shoes. Love them. Going to use them for my shorter runs for now, and work in to them. I don't know if I will use them for longer runs or what, but will stick with them for my short runs and see. I really wanted to try a more minimalist shoe that what I have been using, even if I don't transition into them full-time.

Then I bought a pair of Nike Free 3s! :lmao: These are my new shoe-shoes. I needed shoes for work and everyday use and I really liked how they felt. I might run a bit in them, I don't know. I will use them to strengthen my feet.

THEN I bought some Cw-X compression tights. They are 3/4 length. I wanted to try them and they feel comfortable. I have varicose veins getting more prominent as I lose weight and I want to support them. I also wanted to see how my legs felt after a longer run with the tights. And, I like the feeling of them on. I have a pouchy belly so I like the support of them there, too.

Today is a rest day. Just me, my coupon for 20% off at the running store, and my VISA.:sad2:

I will get some core in today. Weight is sitting at 212-214.

Oh, and I got a corporate donation to my Autism Speaks ToT race charity fund from DH's work! Super happy! Have raised over $1300!

Yesterday was a quick 3.5k run in my new Newton's. Back to my Sauconys for my 12k run today. Have been worried about the distance this week: I have not run 12k before! Eek! I'll be happy when it is underway and I can stop worrying!

Weight is stable - I haven't been as careful in restricting my calories and carbs so I am going to get back on that.

Breakfast:

small juice box
1 cup oatmeal with 2 tbsp chia seeds
1 small yogurt pot
coffee with milk and agave syrup
water

It is cooler this morning so hoping the run goes well. Tried my compression tights last night and really like them. They look AMAZING on me!

Have a great day!

Done! 12k in 94 minutes which is 8:00/km. Yay! Done and feeling it! Sore feet, quads, and many other muscles!

Now treating myself to a few episodes of Breaking Bad and an easy afternoon.

I am excited!

I am running with the NF Canada Dream Team for my October 14th Scotiabank Half Marathon! My son, who is 14, has NF1 and I am thrilled to be able to participate in raising funds for NF Canada in his honour. It is so hard to watch your child struggle with a disease, and I can use this event to channel my feet on the pavement to raising funds for this terrific charity.

I'd so appreciate if anyone donated, big or small.

https://www.giving.runningroom.com/hm/?sub=3&charityId=183&id=AGIKNANuBWs=&item=8&guest=1&lan=1

Started off my fundraising well with two donations of $50 from a former client and her husband. I need to raise $400 more, but am hoping to raise $1500 in total.

Yesterday I went for a 30 minute moderately hard bikeride before dinner. Did 8k. Felt good to be back on the bike!

Today I will do 20-30 minutes core, 15 upper body weights, and a 4k steady run.

My weight is sitting right at 212-214. I need to rev things up. I have been allowing in little treats and carby foods too often. Today I will be great! I want to see 209 within 2 weeks.

Breakfast:
coffee with milk and agave syrup
3/4 cup fat free cottage cheese
1 cup blueberries.

Hi Carolynn! I just read your 10K report. Wow, those are some HILLS! Makes me tired just looking at your pics! Way to go on getting it done! :cool1:

Hi Carolynn! I just read your 10K report. Wow, those are some HILLS! Makes me tired just looking at your pics! Way to go on getting it done! :cool1:

Thanks Liz! I wanted a way better time but I really couldn't go too much faster!

Today was busy with an early birth that saw me up at 530. Then I came home for a quick shower and headed to clinic for a few hours of appointments. Then I wolfed down some dinner ( mistake) and headed out the door for my running class. We did 9.5k including 5k of hill training. Sooooo glad when it was done!!

Tried KT tape for me sore knees. I had knee pain during the run. He true test will be tomorrow when I will see if the knees are sore or not.

Tomorrow is 5k temp0, but I may shorten that and go to an open house for the local dragon boaters, canoeists, and stand up paddle larder association as I am keen on all three for next summer. Excellent cross training methinks! Hoping to get some water time tomorrow and especially hope to try e paddle boarding. I live very close to Lake Ontario and there are lots of little inlets where recreational boating and paddling take place. Why has it taken me so long t get on the water here?!?

Just wandered over and found your journal, and read the whole thing in one sitting! You're doing an amazing job! I'm a relatively new runner, and your journal is just inspiring! :)

Thank you SillyLily! It is really nice to have someone post, too!

I tried stand-up paddleboarding for the first time last week on Thursday! It was super fun. I didn't fall into the water, so that is a good thing! Quite wobbly at times but I made it through! It was such a good workout for my legs - they were burning when I was done. Lots of little accessory muscles at work trying to keep balance.

I have had such a busy birth work week. Lots and lots of Mamas birthing. I managed to get in my scheduled 4k run yesterday after a few hours sleep after being up all night Friday through Saturday. I ran pretty slow, and walked the last km just because I wanted to go easy. I had been on my feet about 26 hours straight before I got some sleep, so my legs were a bit weary. Brisk walking was a nice treat.

This morning I am up nice and early for my running class run of 14k. I have never run this far! I am a bit nervous. Last week was 12k. I'm going to take it nice and easy and see what I can do. It is cool so far (16c/61f) but it will warm up. Just having a coffee. Had a breakfast of oatmeal and applesauce.

Not sure about the KT tape. I find the hill training very hard on my knees. Not sure if it helped or made it worse. Will use today for my long run and see how I feel later.

Update: 14k dooooooooooone! Knees feel much more comfortable! Having steak for dinner (yay!) then out to do 3 visits.

So happy! Hit 210 this morning which means that I have lost 60#! It has taken exactly 60 weeks. I'm feeling super good. I'd like to get down to about 185, so 25 more to go. Perhaps 175, but I think I will stop trying to lose weight at 185 and just see where my body goes.

Here are my updated measurements with loss from 8 weeks ago:
Waist: 37.0 (down 1")
Hips: 44.5 (down .5" and I don't carry much weight here so don't expect to see much more coming off here)
bust: 46.0 (down 1.5" - yay for regular size bras now!)

Total loss: 3" in 2 months. Total loss in 8 months: 20"!!!!

Today is a rest day - yay! Got some core in after my run. Will do upper body and more core today. Happy to rest my legs though: a little stiff and sore after my long run. I hope that as I up the mileage that doesn't get worse: as of yet I don't feel any worse after longer and longer runs. Suffice to say I am stiff enough to walk down stairs needing the handrail but it isn't over the top. I could walk down without the handrail, but I feel more comfortable with it. I kinda feel like you feel when you have been in bed sick for a few days: a little sore and a little stiff.

My knees are definitely better with the KT tape for my long runs. I think that it doesn't work for the hill training though.

Any way, happy to post a happy result!

Taking the kids to see Timothy Green with my sister and her kids. Debating popcorn or no popcorn. LOL

Copied this from another post I made because I thought it would be good for my journal:
My 14k run went well. I didn't have enough water so I needed to stop off for some water at a convenience store . I am a slow runner: it took me 2 hours in total, but it was a LSD and my longest run ever, so I am just happy I finished and felt good afterwards. I usually do my LSD at about 8:00/km but this was slow even for me. It was not a flat route, and there was a monster hill that I walked briskly. Mostly I did 10:1s but did take a few longer walk breaks to fuel up as I don't like running and eating goo. I want to run comfortable, not all dripping with goo and with my mouth all sugary.

I used about half a pack of Honey Stingers gel candy thingies, one PowerBar gel, and a Nuun tablet in my water. I had three running water bottles - I needed a fourth. So I stopped at the c-store and bought a vitamin water as a treat with only 3k left to go. Was gooooooood and cold. I think that I need to get some salt tablets for these longer runs, after I do some research, although everything that I ate/drank had sodium in it. My shirt and face and grossly, my running shorts, were all encrusted with salt stains when I was done. HOTNESS! I think I did a good job of the fuelling and hydration in the end because I had a decent pee when I got home that was light (TMI?) and felt pretty good. I am recognizing the signs of being in need of fuel on a run: a little foggy brained, and my muscles feel heavy, and I feel weary. Luckily I have had no stomach upset at all so far, except a wee bit after chugging some of that vitamin water crap.

I think I need a hydration pack as the kilometers creep up. More than 3 of those little water bottles feels clunky and heavy around my waist. Yay! More money spent on running gear! Ack!

I just finished your whole journal and you are an inspiration! Can't wait to read more Carolynn! You rock!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter