Ten Sleeps in Disney World!! - An Aug Trip Report *5/9 Departure Day & Final Thoughts

He was v cool, wonder what products Disney has of him, would be cool to have him as a plush :)

Oh he would be cute to have. A trip to the Disney Store is in order I think.... they'll have plenty of Alice items right now!

It may be awhile before you see my DHS pix.....;)

Good things come to those who wait.... and wait.... and just for fun, wait some more. :rolleyes:

i agree, the cheshire cat was AWESOME! :ccat::ccat::ccat:
If i had to pick a favorite character though, i would have to go with the mad hatter ... jonny depp does such a terrific job with all of his characters! :wizard:

At the end of the day, I asked Ariana if she liked the movie. She gave me an emphatic, "yes!" I asked her who did she like best from the movie. She answered, "Hatter.... he's Jack!" :rotfl2::rotfl2:

I have looked in the UK stores and all they have available is a Cheshire Cat ring. Maybe you will have better luck :)

I have looked in the UK stores and all they have available is a Cheshire Cat ring. Maybe you will have better luck :)

I haven't made it there yet, but a ring sounds intriguing. I asked a friend of mine today who went to the Disney Store to buy a Dopey plushie and she said there weren't many Alice things there. That's disappointing. :sad1:

Today’s update marks the start of our last full day of our Ten Sleeps trip :sad2:. We’d come back to DHS on a non-Fantasmic day and the crowd levels were noticeably lower. Our family has only ever done August/September trips and I’ve always scheduled our park days on EMH days to give us longer times to roam in the parks….. so crowds have always been second nature to us. I’m considering booking our schedule for our next trip away from EMH to see the difference it would make, but I’m not sure I want to give up those extra available hours that help us stick with our slow and leisurely pace. As you can tell if you’ve been reading along all this time, we are not morning people. We enjoy the ability to sleep in and wander the parks in the evenings.

So, EMH or no? Thoughts or preferences anyone? :confused:

Anyhoo, back to the update. We arrived at DHS bright eyed and bushy tailed at the rub your eyes early time of 10am. :lmao:

2009_0824pics0001.jpg

2009_0824pics0003.jpg

2009_0824pics0004.jpg

We’d discussed a game plan for the day on the bus ride over. We were going to head over to Toy Story Mania first thing, we had an ADR at 6:30pm …. and that was it. :laughing: Whatever else we wanted to do, we’d do it.

So, within five minutes of arriving at the park, we’d scratched the first item off our list.

2009_0824pics0005.jpg

2009_0824pics0006.jpg

I can’t remember who was sitting beside me this first round, either Ariana or Demetri.

2009_0824pics0007.jpg

Next was a slow stroll over to Playhouse Disney Live on Stage!

2009_0824pics0008.jpg

I love that wall.

This show is so much fun, but along with everyone else I’ve heard talk about it, I’ll chime in and proclaim they need seats, benches in here, anything!! I don’t like sitting cross legged on the floor and I was fidgeting a lot. I forget the finer details of the storyline, but I believe the characters from the four shows were helping prepare a party for Minnie.

First up…. Meeska, Mouska,….. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse!

2009_0824pics0011.jpg

Then it was time for Handy Manny! This is currently one of Demetri’s favorite shows. He’s learning a lot of Spanish.

2009_0824pics0013.jpg

2009_0824pics0015.jpg

2009_0824pics0018.jpg

Next was the Little Einsteins. This show has been wonderful introducing him to classic works of art, opera, historical structures and famous places in the world. It’s amazing what he remembers.

2009_0824pics0019.jpg

2009_0824pics0020.jpg

Finally it was turn for My Friends Tigger and Pooh. I wasn’t a big fan of the show at first but Darby has grown on me and Lumpy has always been a favorite character!

2009_0824pics0022.jpg

In the end, Minnie’s party is a resounding success thanks to everyone working together. Awwwwww.

2009_0824pics0024.jpg

Stretching our legs and squinting our eyes against the bright summer sun, we walked past this

2009_0824pics0025.jpg

And this (she seriously wasn’t doing anything!)

2009_0824pics0026.jpg

To get to this

2009_0824pics0027.jpg

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST....

We were early but didn’t mind the wait, this is one our favorite things to do at DHS. Our view was front row, centre. :goodvibes

It is with deepest pride and greatest pleasure that we welcome you tonight. And now we invite you to relax, let us pull up a chair as the dining room proudly presents – your dinner! --Lumiere

2009_0824pics0028.jpg

2009_0824pics0029.jpg

2009_0824pics0030.jpg

2009_0824pics0031.jpg

2009_0824pics0032.jpg

2009_0824pics0033.jpg

2009_0824pics0034.jpg

2009_0824pics0035.jpg

2009_0824pics0036.jpg

2009_0824pics0037.jpg

2009_0824pics0038.jpg

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I always love it when they hand out the rose at the end of the performance. They haven’t picked us yet – maybe next time! :flower3:

It was just past noon now and we were looking for some lunch. I’d wanted to go to Pizza Planet, (new for us!) but asked everyone if they wanted to do anything different. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Ok! Pizza Planet it is! :thumbsup2

2009_0824pics0040.jpg

2009_0824pics0041.jpg

2009_0824pics0042.jpg

2009_0824pics0043.jpg

2009_0824pics0045.jpg

Very yummy pizza and a very fun counter service. We didn’t play any of the games though… if I let them loose on those babies, we’d be there all night!

Next up was a meet and greet with Lightning McQueen and Mater. This was the first time, from what I can remember, that they had their own area for pictures. My last set of pictures just showed them coming out of big wooden gates with a painting of Radiator Springs on it. The problem at this point in time however, was the lines for pictures was incredibly long and we had a Stunt Show to get to. Last year, Demetri had been very excited to see Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show but it had rained out. He’d been looking forward to it this year and the weather had been perfect for it. But now he was faced with either going to the stunt show, or visiting and getting his picture taken with McQueen and Mater, his all time favorites.

So, what do you think he chose? :confused3

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST....

Well, he chose the stunt show. But we couldn’t let the photo-op go completely to waste, so we took a picture of someone else’s visit :lmao:

2009_0824pics0048.jpg

and grabbed a quick shot of Mater in between guest visits from the side where the roped off area was….

2009_0824pics0049.jpg

... and lastly, a quick shot of Demetri standing in front of the roped off area just before another guest got set up. Just ignore those random people, will you? Thanks! :rolleyes1

2009_0824pics0050.jpg

So on we went to the Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show! I could give or take this show. I’ve seen it a few times now and while it’s an extremely cool show to watch, for my taste it’s a little long and it’s very hot sitting there. Add in the fire element of the show and depending on where you’re sitting, you have to check if your eyebrows are still there after some parts.

2009_0824pics0051.jpg

The boys love it though, and while Ariana and I could have gone somewhere else for a little bit, I wanted to get some pictures and video as a keepsake so we stayed. And no, I couldn’t have given the camera to one of them to take pictures …. That’s just crazy talk!

2009_0824pics0052.jpg

2009_0824pics0053.jpg

2009_0824pics0054.jpg

2009_0824pics0055.jpg

2009_0824pics0058.jpg

So boys, what did you think of the show?

2009_0824pics0059.jpg

We backtracked a little bit to go see Muppet Vision 3D, another new thing for us. I remember my parents watching the Muppet Show when I was younger and I have this fleeting memory of bird muppets bouncing up and down on a wire singing to ABBA’s Take a Chance on Me. Never been a big fan. :confused3 Ariana, on the other hand, really enjoys the Muppet videos given to her, and so here we were.

2009_0824pics0062.jpg

2009_0824pics0063.jpg

2009_0824pics0064.jpg

2009_0824pics0065.jpg

And then out we went. I think I’m in the minority here, and even Alex disagreed with me, but I thought it was horrendously bad. I won’t dwell on it, but I won’t ever be seeing it again. I’ll wait outside by the annoying Miss Piggy fountain.

2009_0824pics0061.jpg

Moving on, we went next to Star Tours. I once again mischievously begged off this ride so Daddy would go with them and watched some Jedi Training Academy while I waited. I always enjoy this show. The premise is the same, but the children are so unpredictable that you never know what will happen and it’s always funny.

2009_0824pics0066.jpg

2009_0824pics0067.jpg

I moseyed on over to Tatooine Traders and amused myself while waiting.

2009_0824pics0068.jpg

We were reunited and surprisingly I didn’t have to wait too long for them to get out of the shop. Lots of fun stuff in there, especially where they can take your picture and put you into various Star Wars scenes. Last year Demetri posed as a young star fighter and the picture turned out so well we actually bought it.

This year, we opted not to get anything at all and headed on over to the photo-op of the speeder bike. We’ve done this each year we’ve been and like to do funny poses and faces just to make it interesting. Imagine our surprise to find out it wasn’t there! What the heck?!

2009_0824pics0069.jpg

Not a sign, notice or anything to explain why it was missing. I’ve seen it on TRs since we were there so it must have just been out for refurbishment or something but boy, were we mighty miffed at first it was gone. Then we decided to make our own speeder bike to the amusement of other park guests. :lmao:

2009_0824pics0070.jpg

Next up: More DHS!!

You didn't mention what side of Toy Story Mania was your score.. :rotfl:

Can you believe, even though it's my favorite movie, I still have yet to see the Beauty and the Beast show? That's definitely something I'll be doing in May.

And I love Pizza Planet! I've heard people say the pizza isn't good... but I've definitely had worse - I guess they don't remember school lunches! :rotfl:

hahaha, nice speeder bike! :rotfl:

Mmm, Pizza Planet. One of my favorite QS places though I always thought it would be cooler if it was more like the Pizza Planet in the movie. :teeth:

Great update :thumbsup2

You guys really love DHS and you looked like you had a great last day. Looking back through the pics, the one where you are all eating at Pizza Planet, how cute does Demetri look with pizza sauce round his chops :rotfl:

I love the last pic, v creative :laughing:

Looking forward to seeing where you went for dinner :goodvibes

The best part about scheduling a Free Day is that you can do whatever you want with it! If relaxing is important, you can hang at the resort all day and if catching a bit more park time is in order, you can do that too! :thumbsup2

Ariana immediately goes for those books the way Billy does with DVDs! ...An irresistible temptation! :rotfl:

Going back now for DHS Part II....

Kathy

YAY! An update!!:goodvibes

Love the picture of the boys wondering where the speeder bike went!! Too funny about making their own!!:rotfl:

I definitely agree about Playhouse Disney...cute show and Noah loved it!! But...they could really use some seats in there!! I think for the kids it's fine but for the adults it's a little bit harder being all smushed together!:rolleyes1 Hmm...maybe if they did something like the seating at Turtle Talk w/Crush but on a larger scale....:confused3

Glad you enjoyed Toy Story Pizza Planet!! We like it there too and visit every time we are at DHS! I've heard a lot of bad reviews about the pizza but I think it tastes yummy! (at least the veggie one does;))

Great pictures of Lights, Motor Action and Beauty and the Beast!!!:thumbsup2 As you can imagine my boys love the stunt show!! But...I'm hoping to talk them into Beauty and the Beast instead in April.:cloud9:...it's not looking very promising as of yet.:rolleyes:

Can't wait for more of DHS!!popcorn::

The best part about scheduling a Free Day is that you can do whatever you want with it! If relaxing is important, you can hang at the resort all day and if catching a bit more park time is in order, you can do that too! :thumbsup2

Ariana immediately goes for those books the way Billy does with DVDs! ...An irresistible temptation! :rotfl:

Going back now for DHS Part II....

Kathy

George surprised me in the planning stages of this trip. He was the one who suggested we add on the extra days, not only to accommodate the water parks and DisneyQuest option, but to give us the leisure time too. I love having that flexibility. :goodvibes

She's too funny... she'll curl up on the floor in front of the bookstands and just make her way right threw them. Gentle reminders now and then to be careful with the pages and she's good to go. :thumbsup2

You didn't mention what side of Toy Story Mania was your score.. :rotfl:

Can you believe, even though it's my favorite movie, I still have yet to see the Beauty and the Beast show? That's definitely something I'll be doing in May.

And I love Pizza Planet! I've heard people say the pizza isn't good... but I've definitely had worse - I guess they don't remember school lunches! :rotfl:

You'll definately enjoy the Beauty and the Beast show.... the wig on the Beast (in human form ;)) makes me cringe a little bit though. Not sure why, maybe that's just me.

I really liked Pizza Planet... we all did. I seem to remember thinking they needed to increase their selection of salad dressing choices but.... :confused: nothing wrong with anything else.

Oh man, and I just laughed out loud at your recreation of the speeder bike!

We were giggling about that for a long time that day. :rotfl2:

hahaha, nice speeder bike! :rotfl:

Mmm, Pizza Planet. One of my favorite QS places though I always thought it would be cooler if it was more like the Pizza Planet in the movie. :teeth:

:rotfl2: It'd be cool if the perspective of the movie was the same for us in there.... like we're little Buzz and Woody's trying to get the heck out of there!

Great update :thumbsup2

You guys really love DHS and you looked like you had a great last day. Looking back through the pics, the one where you are all eating at Pizza Planet, how cute does Demetri look with pizza sauce round his chops :rotfl:

I know! I couldn't keep up with the napkins! :rotfl2:

I love the last pic, v creative :laughing:

Yep, sometimes we can be pretty silly :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing where you went for dinner :goodvibes

It was a new place for us and it didn't disappoint!

YAY! An update!!:goodvibes

Love the picture of the boys wondering where the speeder bike went!! Too funny about making their own!!:rotfl:

People were laughing as they posed... somewhere out there are other versions of that picture. :rotfl2:

I definitely agree about Playhouse Disney...cute show and Noah loved it!! But...they could really use some seats in there!! I think for the kids it's fine but for the adults it's a little bit harder being all smushed together!:rolleyes1 Hmm...maybe if they did something like the seating at Turtle Talk w/Crush but on a larger scale....:confused3

I'd be happy with that, I think George and I said as much to one another as we were ever so elegantly trying to unfold our limbs. Kids handle the dreaded "move in! move in!" direction to squish together better than adults.

Glad you enjoyed Toy Story Pizza Planet!! We like it there too and visit every time we are at DHS! I've heard a lot of bad reviews about the pizza but I think it tastes yummy! (at least the veggie one does;))

I'm surprised it took us so long to get there. I remember one year trying to find it and for whatever reason we just couldn't so we ended up at the place right beside Star Tours. :rolleyes:

Great pictures of Lights, Motor Action and Beauty and the Beast!!!:thumbsup2 As you can imagine my boys love the stunt show!! But...I'm hoping to talk them into Beauty and the Beast instead in April.:cloud9:...it's not looking very promising as of yet.:rolleyes:

Can't wait for more of DHS!!popcorn::

Mmmmm, yes I can see where that might be a tough sell. Cars! Squealing Tires! Fire! Jumps! versus love, romance, dancing and kisses. ;)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

"When Life hands you lemons...."

Kathy

That's about it eh? :goodvibes We find the fun in everything!

Great update! About emh we always do the evening emh and stay till the parks close. We are not morning people either and I want to have every minute in the park that we can so we always pick the one with emh.
We had never done the speeder bike before and we were excited to get a pic with it last year and it was gone when we got there too. I asked a cm who didn't know what I was talking about and he asked another one who said they were repainting it. I hope its there when we go in Oct.
We tried Pizza Planet in 2007 and I thought it was the worst pizza we had at Disney and we had alot. It looked good in your pics so maybe we'll try it again this year. Ds6 lives off of pizza at Disney.
I could do without the stunt show too but with a little boy we have to go everytime. And yes it is looong!
I can't wait to see what happens next I'm so sad the trip is almost over:sad1:

Great update! About emh we always do the evening emh and stay till the parks close. We are not morning people either and I want to have every minute in the park that we can so we always pick the one with emh.
We had never done the speeder bike before and we were excited to get a pic with it last year and it was gone when we got there too. I asked a cm who didn't know what I was talking about and he asked another one who said they were repainting it. I hope its there when we go in Oct.
We tried Pizza Planet in 2007 and I thought it was the worst pizza we had at Disney and we had alot. It looked good in your pics so maybe we'll try it again this year. Ds6 lives off of pizza at Disney.
I could do without the stunt show too but with a little boy we have to go everytime. And yes it is looong!
I can't wait to see what happens next I'm so sad the trip is almost over:sad1:

Likely we'll stick with the evening EMH days unless anyone convinces me otherwise. I don't think we've ever stayed to the end before, but even just not having to worry about the throngs of people leaving at the same time is a perk. :thumbsup2

Guess our timing sucked eh? Too bad they don't have more than one speeder bike so they could just switch them out once and a while....

Oh wow, really? The worst pizza ever? Oh I hope it's changed since your 2007 trip... I really did find it tasty. It wasn't identical, but it reminded me of the Pizzafari pizza in AK.... different then the other counter service or table service pizza options.

I'm sad to be wrapping up too, but I've dragged it on long enough that people going this August can use it for ideas! :laughing:

Plus, I also have a new PTR to start soon :banana:..... but more on that later! :ssst:

Likely we'll stick with the evening EMH days unless anyone convinces me otherwise. I don't think we've ever stayed to the end before, but even just not having to worry about the throngs of people leaving at the same time is a perk. :thumbsup2

Guess our timing sucked eh? Too bad they don't have more than one speeder bike so they could just switch them out once and a while....

Oh wow, really? The worst pizza ever? Oh I hope it's changed since your 2007 trip... I really did find it tasty. It wasn't identical, but it reminded me of the Pizzafari pizza in AK.... different then the other counter service or table service pizza options.

I'm sad to be wrapping up too, but I've dragged it on long enough that people going this August can use it for ideas! :laughing:

Plus, I also have a new PTR to start soon :banana:..... but more on that later! :ssst:

YAY!!! :banana: excited for your PTR! since this is almost over :guilty:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter