Tell me about donating plasma...

This is a medical procedure and not something to be taken lightly. Check out where you would be doing this, is the person qualified or some over worked tech. Is the building staffed, how is the atmosphere, is everyone running around or is it calm and professional. Is the building clean, are all the instruments opened in front of you. Talk to people using the facility. The reason I say this is about 12 years ago I worked with a girl who did this for extra money as she was a single mom, and they called her one day and said there was a problem, so she went in, and there was a possibility that gave her the wrong blood back and there could be a possibility that she could have been infected with HIV. Well they did give her back the wrong blood and 6 months later she tested positive for HIV. She had 2 small kids, so far she has been able to remain healthy, but she has had to move in with her parents because the medicine is so costly.
I know that this is important, and there are precautions that are set in place. But make sure that you know the risk and are comfortable with your surroundings, be informed, double check everything, you have to protect yourself if not it could cost you your life.

From what I understand, donating plasma will leave you "understaffed" in the antibody department until those antibodies regenerate...so, if you are exposed to anything where you've built up immunity you're more likely to get sick/sicker than you would have otherwise. I heard this in a biology lecture podcast from an undergraduate class, so have no reason to doubt it. I would just do your homework before assuming it's risk free.

Okay, since this is what I do for a living, I feel the need to clear up a few things.

This is a medical procedure and not something to be taken lightly. Check out where you would be doing this, is the person qualified or some over worked tech. Is the building staffed, how is the atmosphere, is everyone running around or is it calm and professional. Is the building clean, are all the instruments opened in front of you. Talk to people using the facility. The reason I say this is about 12 years ago I worked with a girl who did this for extra money as she was a single mom, and they called her one day and said there was a problem, so she went in, and there was a possibility that gave her the wrong blood back and there could be a possibility that she could have been infected with HIV. Well they did give her back the wrong blood and 6 months later she tested positive for HIV. She had 2 small kids, so far she has been able to remain healthy, but she has had to move in with her parents because the medicine is so costly.
I know that this is important, and there are precautions that are set in place. But make sure that you know the risk and are comfortable with your surroundings, be informed, double check everything, you have to protect yourself if not it could cost you your life.

How plasma is collected now is WAY different than how it was done 12 years ago. At our center there is NO way you could be given the wrong blood back now. You are hooked up to a machine the entire time. I would imagine even our competitors are using similar machines, so I cannot see this being an issue.

Used to do it all the time in college, too. They verify signatures, etc. to make sure that you're getting your own blood back.

Started again after DS was born, and one time was fighting off a cold. The next time I went in I was called back into one of the offices, where I was told I'd tested positive for HIV. :scared1: Totally, totally wrong, but totally, totally wigged me out.

I was told that I had a "lifetime ban" on donating, but I can't imagine that would be true -- haven't tried since.

It's really not a big deal, if you have the time available.

Again, I cannot imagine a chance of getting someone elses blood back. And, yes if you test positive for something (even if it's a false positive) you are no longer allowed to donate. At our center, that includes our facility and any of our facilities in the country.

From what I understand, donating plasma will leave you "understaffed" in the antibody department until those antibodies regenerate...so, if you are exposed to anything where you've built up immunity you're more likely to get sick/sicker than you would have otherwise. I heard this in a biology lecture podcast from an undergraduate class, so have no reason to doubt it. I would just do your homework before assuming it's risk free.

Okay, plasma is mad up of about 90% water and regenerates after ~24 hours, that is how you are able to donate so often. Whatever antibodies you do lose, you will reproduce very quickly.

Also, please remember that plasma centers are audited by many bodies, including the FDA. It is serious. Just double check the center you are going to. If they have not had quality issues or been shut down, you are fine.

Did it once and got so sick from it..I remember lying there feeling very ill, got their attention and they took me off the machine. Then, I went to stand up and fainted..they had me rest a little, tried to get up again and fainted a second time. They asked me nicely to never come back.
:lmao:

I had eaten a good breakfast too, and I'm not the squeimish type either..so I'm not sure why I got so ill from it.

Thank you all for your insight! I think I'm going to check it out this week.

There's nowhere like the Dis!!! You're all awesome!

My husband did this a few times a couple months ago.

Just a few things,
Firstly he put down that my friend refered him because she would get extra money. What no one explained to him or my friend was that the extra money they paid her came from what he would have made. He still got like $25 but was counting on $35. There was no way to undo the referal so he lost out each time.

More important note though, eat a good breakfast or whatever meal before you go. He did not the first time and got sick. The second time he did and felt fine. Stay hydrated.

Hubby said just the intial stick was painful the rest was fine, he was bored. He could not see the TVs and forgot a book. 2nd time with book he said he enjoyed himself :)

I tried to do it but they said my veins were too small, they said I could drink a lot of water and come back in a few weeks but I never did. I am squeemish. They said to drink a lot of water for a few days before going in also helps everyone.

Hi I use to donate all the time at the Red cross so I did not get paid but i imagine it is the same there as anywhere.I just don't have the time anymore to do it. It takes anywhere from 60- 90 minutes does not hurt othe than the initial stick, you do get cold and tingly.The machine is right next to you filtering your blood so I don't see how you could get anyone else's blood back.
However one time about half way in to the donation my vein collapsed and extravasated so I did wind up with a gigantic (my whole arm) bruise.(because of the blood thinner mixed in.) Luckily it was 2 mos before my wedding. The brusing took about 1 month to go away, so I wouldn't go before any events where a sleeveless dress is going to be worn. It didn't hurt at all but looked awful, it was just one of those things that never happened after.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter