Tell me about donating plasma...

debbiedana

DIS Veteran
I could use a few extra bucks in my Disney fund. Ever done it? Good or bad experiences? Helpful tips?

The place I'm looking to go has locations all across the country and has been there for quite a while, so I'm fairly sure it's safe and clean.

TIA!

I could use a few extra bucks in my Disney fund. Ever done it? Good or bad experiences? Helpful tips?

The place I'm looking to go has locations all across the country and has been there for quite a while, so I'm fairly sure it's safe and clean.

TIA!

I see that you're in the Chicago area.

I drive by the place in Aurora every now and then and the parking lot seems to have quite a few cars in it. I've always wondered what's involved and how much they pay but I'm not sure that I could do it. I had problems trying to donate for myself before my second C-section.

I did it when I was around 20 a few times. It wasn't horrible, made me a little dizzy but any blood draw does. The people there are usually experts at doing the initial stick that gets the blood running. It's like giving blood but they return your red cells from what I remember. I'm old now and may not remember things quite right from 35 years ago.

My brother does this, maybe he's stopped but he did it very recently ~ I always tease him, you're not donating it your selling it ;) If you don't get reimbursed for it then it's donated.

I can't comment on the process but wanted to commend you for considering it. :thumbsup2 I have a child who dealt with a blood issue (ITP) for 5+ years who received IvIg (a product made form blood plasma) too many times to count. Through donations like the one you are considering, many peoples quality of life will be improved. :lovestruc

I use to sell my plasma when I was in college, so we are talking about 15 years ago. When I did it, you could donate twice a week. They paid on a 4 donation cycle. 1st donation: $20 2nd donation: $15 3rd donation: $10 and 4th donation $25 Then it started over again. They take your blood in cycles, put it through a centrifuge, remove plasma and then return your blood. I have very small veins so they would often have trouble finding my vein. I eventually quit because when they would miss, my arm would turn black and blue all over. My dad finally said enough already. You look like someone is beating you. LOL For the record, it wasn't just the plasma center than had trouble finding my veins. Happens at doctor's office and hospital too. It really was an easy process. If I remember correctly, I was there about an hour. I would read a book while waiting. It was very easy money for a poor college student.

I did it in college. A little time consuming, but take a friend to talk with and it will go fast. I got sick afterward, seems you are supposed to weigh 105 and I was 90 so that may have had something to do with it.

I did it back in college and tried to do it again back when I lost my job about 2 yrs ago...the second time around it didn't work out too well, I kept being denied because this or that was not in the guidelines (iron or protein levels-I don't remember now) so I gave up.

At the center I went to you first had to schedule a "physical" with their nurse. At that appointment they went over a ton of health questions to be sure you qualified to give.

The normal donations usually took 1 1/2 hours, give or take. First you answer a series of questions (things like have you ever taken a certain drug, have you received ny immunizations since your last visit, are you feeling well today, etc.) then they weigh you, check your temp, pick your finger and check levels of certain things in your blood, look at your arms for bruises. Then, if you are all good you go and actually donate.

Donating is a lot like donating blood, except the red cells are sepaarated from the plasma and they return the red cells to you. They also give you some saline at the end.

I think the pay around here was $20 a visit, but if you went twice in the same week the second visit paid $30 and if you donated twice a week for the whole month you got another bonus (maybe $250 per month). Then there were other programs like get a tetanus booster and donate so many times after it to receive a bonus and things like that.

Our center even had a child care center included for free.

It was not a lot of money and did take some time, but a decent menas to earn a little extra cash. It just didn't work out for me. Between failing my finger picks and them not being able to find my vein in my left arm--it was a PITA.

My brother does it and Dh is in process of going to do it. YOu can donate 2x/wk with at least a day between donations. PLace they go is on a 5 donation cycle 40/30/40/20/30 i believe.

I do it a few times a year. I have never received money for it. The Blood Center usually calls me when they need it and I go in. They do buy lunch usually for everyone who is in there because it takes so long.:goodvibes

I did it when I was around 20 a few times. It wasn't horrible, made me a little dizzy but any blood draw does. The people there are usually experts at doing the initial stick that gets the blood running. It's like giving blood but they return your red cells from what I remember. I'm old now and may not remember things quite right from 35 years ago.

In the dark ages when I was in college you needed to have been sober for 24 hours or something. So people would time it for beer money on the weekends.

I never did it, but there were people who did it often. A former boyfriend of mine paid for his living expenses while he studied for the bar exam off sold plasma.

I became a regular platelet donor about a year ago when my bestfriend's son went back on chemo and became dependent on platelet transfusions.

While the donation process does take a little while (about 90 minutes) and the process is different than blood donation, there is not much pain at all. Just the regular discomfort of being stuck with the needle. The needle they use is a little larger than what is used for regular blood donation because they use this needle to give you the red blood back. The hospital I donate at does one arm donations, so the same arm is used to take and return - leaving you a free arm. I did feel slight pressure when the blood is returned but it is not painful, you can just feel it. (Hope that makes sense)

One last thing, when your blood is given back it is mixed with an anticoagulant which prevents your blood from clotting. It leaves your nerve endings tingly and a funny metal taste in you mouth.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Hope that helps.

Ahh the good old days. I sold plasma a ton in college as did all 5 of my roomies. We would pool the money together for our beer fund each week. I remember fondly when one of my roomies had Mononucleosis and for some reason they were paying like $150 a donation for 2 weeks after he was infected. We all literally dragged him down there to donate cause boy you could drink a lot on $150 back in late 80s. :rotfl2:

I remember places like this advertising, back when I was in college. I never knew anyone, personally, who did it. I do have a friend who happens to be a student, who considered this recently. She went to a couple appointments and just said you have to sit there and relax.

It can get chilly in there, so you may want to dress warm or bring a small blanket (unless that just happened to be at her particular facility). I'd bring it anyway- it's better than freezing that entire time.

Used Plasma donation to pay my car payment for a year. It was a good quiet time to read, extra cash in my pocket and a feeling that I was really helping someone. If there was a place close to me now I'd still be doing it.

Used to do it all the time in college, too. They verify signatures, etc. to make sure that you're getting your own blood back.

Started again after DS was born, and one time was fighting off a cold. The next time I went in I was called back into one of the offices, where I was told I'd tested positive for HIV. :scared1: Totally, totally wrong, but totally, totally wigged me out.

I was told that I had a "lifetime ban" on donating, but I can't imagine that would be true -- haven't tried since.

It's really not a big deal, if you have the time available.

I did this several times in my area about a yr ago. What I can tell you is that if its your first time you should get there very very early. First time doners had to have a "physical" and see a nurse before they could even donate. They only took like 10 new doners a day or something like that. After that the process was fairly fast. First they checked your blood presure and iron and if either of those were off you had to go home. But this was after the first "physical" Then you were called in and donated. It was all pretty easy but a bit time consuming. Because even after the first donation you should still get there as early as possiable. The wait is often the hardest part. Baised on where you go I would think that they would be croweded.

I just started last week- so I have donated twice and have my third tonite. I called and made an appt for my first time ( for the physical etc) but now I can make my appts on line. Everything is very techno-based. They took a copy of my fingerprint and you scan in for your appt, to answer questions, and to register after. All my money is loaded on a debit card as soon as you finish donating. They have free child care which is awesome. Make sure to take a blanket and a book or Ipod...and stay hydrated. I can do mine in 50 minutes or so as your donation is based on yor weight and I fall into the medium category. Making sure I have eaten some protein that day is also really important! The payment is $25 a session and $50 bonus after 4 sessions.

i did then i had to stop cause i got pregnant so im waiting for my 6 months post parturm so i can do it again. here they pay $40 then $25 then $40 then $35 the $40. after that they do i believe $35 and then $25. i have very small veins and "jump" and they can still get me! first time takes about 3-4 hours then after that its about an hour.

I actually work at a Plasma Donation Center. How much you get paid will depend on the center and where it is located.

If there are several in an area, they tend to pay a bit higher, to be competitive.

It is a fairly easy process. Once the needle is in, it should be pretty much painless.

If you have any other questions, I would be happy to answer them!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter