Team Rebel Alliance Marches On...

disney_mommy

"Dear god, what am I doing? This is half a man."
Welcome Rebels!!​

April thread is here.

About W.I.S.H

Within the DISboards, there is a group of DISers that like to talk about getting healthy or staying healthy, and all of the things that entails. They are called W.I.S.Hers. On this thread, TXBelle (Heather) shares the history of W.I.S.H. and how it all began.

You are always welcome to post on the W.I.S.H boards and ask questions, or to offer advice for someone else. Once you've posted, you are automatically a member of W.I.S.H!

Within W.I.S.H there are smaller teams of about 20 people each. You do not have to be on a team to be a member of W.I.S.H and you do not have to be a member of W.I.S.H to be on a team. They are just a way for smaller groups of people to get to know each other and to offer more personalized advice and suggestions.

How can I join a team?

Right now, jmasgat (Maura) is coordinating the teams. Go to this thread and post that you would like to join a team. You might also like to mention if you are an experienced athlete or just starting out, if you are a runner, a walker or a biker or what your goals are. She will try to match you up with a team that will benefit from your current fitness levels and goals.

Maura maintains the team leaders and members and makes sure the numbers stay pretty even. She will decide when it is time to start a new team and will coordinate that effort.

About the Rebels

On February 7, 2009, windwalker asked for a volunteer to lead a new team he named Rebel Alliance. It didn't appear that there were many people eager to take on that job! Soon however, Suzann and scoolover (Scott) stepped up and offered to share the duties of heading up the new team. Back then, every team member had to announce their monthly miles and minutes and the team captain kept a team total.

Before long the team had 11 members and by June we were up to 14. One of the latest monthly threads was started in July of 2009 by Suzann until K80K (Katie) started one in September of that same year. October was skipped and a November thread was started by wdwprincess (Jane). By this time, most members of the team had drifted away. "Real life" got in the way, training slowed down, there was an injury... For whatever reason, it appeared that the Rebels had disbanded.

In January of 2010, deekaypee (Debra) started asking for opinions for the new year and scoolover (Scott) offered to re-start the Rebels. He started a thread asking if any past team members were interested in coming back, and a few did. Then jmasgat (Maura) started filling the team in with brand new people who were either new to W.I.S.H or were ready to join a team. The numbers rose quickly and before long the team had 20 members.

Because of personal reasons, scoolover (Scott) asked disney_mommy (Andrea) to take over as team captain in February 2010. She accepted and the team is in its current state.

Helpful Tips/Links

Need general information about a variety of topics, including running, walking, programs, gear, pacing? Check out this great thread by chimera. It includes links to a huge number of resources you might find useful.

Looking for a fun way to get in some extra walking? How about joining the Walk to Disney Challenge? Keep track of your daily walking miles (by pedometer or GPS) and log them in. See how close you would be if you were actually walking to The World!

Many Rebels are signed up on DailyMile.com, a site to post your workout miles/minutes and talk about them. It could be called the Facebook of workouts. If you sign up, feel free to "friend" the Rebels listed below. Be sure to include a note in your friend request mentioning you are a Rebel!

disney_mommy - DM username "disney_mommy"
luckymum22 - DM username "LuckyMum22"
jenanderson - DM username "jenanderson"

If you are interested in getting a ticker for your signature (for a weight loss goal, or just for an upcoming vacation), the DIS has its own options now. They can be found here.

If you would like a Userbar for your signature, check out this thread. bellaDisneydncr created a bunch of W.I.S.H userbars as well as Rebel Alliance specific bars (they are on page 2, post #27, or here). Also on her thread are bars for the Disney races.

The Rebels have several logo options, if you would prefer to have one of them in your signature. They can be found on this post. If you have any suggestions or ideas for more, please post it on our thread!

If you'd like to get to know your teammates on a personal level, please look us up on Facebook or Twitter. When you send a friend request, be sure to mention that you're a Rebel!

*************************************************​
Okay Rebels, here is our March thread. We have a lot of exciting things going on this month, so let's keep up the momentum! :cheer2:

Our updated member list:

K80K - Katie - Baltimore
wdwprncess77 - Jane - New York
french lady - Diane
mandac - Manda - Utah
Suzann - - Seattle
scoolover - Scott - Connecticut
cwnhokie - - West Virginia
ghoulishgirl - Tiffany - California
grstink - Gretchen - New Jersey
forceword - Liam - London
RENThead09 - Pat - Vegas
jenanderson - Jen - Minnesota
CapeCodRob - Rob - Massachusetts
sailors_wfe - - Virginia - Christy
luckymum22 - Barb (and Silent Bob) - Pennsylvania
G&GMom - Joy - Florida
j-sun - Virginia
deleckidesign - Michelle - Michigan
momto2littlemonsters - Shawna - Florida
krishouse - Kristin - Ontario
jwalker1 - James - Illinois
disney_mommy - Andrea - Virginia

Rebel Calendar:

February
WISH Valentine's Day Virtual 5K/10K
Mandac - 10K
jenanderson - 5K
grstink - 10K
ghoulishgirl - 5K

March
Disney's Princess Half Marathon and 5K
k80k
disney_mommy
G&G Mom

Walk a Mile in their Shoes 5K
momto2littlemonsters

Hastings Half Marathon
forceword

Sarasota Half
G&G Mom

Luck O' the IWISH! St. Patrick's Day Virtual 5K/10K
grstink - 5K
jenanderson - 5K

Lucky 7 7K
jenanderson

Frozen Foot 5K
luckymum22

April
Obesity Challenge 5K
jenanderson

Dismal Swamp Stomp Half
disney_mommy

Lincoln Memorial Half
jwalker1

Hagarstown 5K
cwnhokie

Ocean City Half Marathon
K80K

Logan’s Run 5K & Walk for Autism Awareness
luckymum22

Beaches Chapel 5K
momto2littlemonsters

May
Kenswick Half Marathon
forceword

The Human Race 5K
momto2littlemonsters

Edinburgh Marathon
forceword

SheROX Tempe Triathlon
ghoulishgirl

Frederick Half
K80K

Turkey Hill 11th Annual Country Classic 5K
luckymum22

Historic Half Half
K80K

Miles for Moms 5K to benefit Mom's House®
luckymum22

Maryland Half
K80K

Spring Sprint 5K
luckymum22

Ottowa Half marathon
french lady

June
Zooma Annapolis Half
K80K

SH7
K80K

Expedition Everest Challenge
cwnhokie

B10 10Mi
K80K

Run for the Pies 5K
momto2littlemonsters

August
Tour de Pain
momto2littlemonsters

Abe's Amble 10K
jwalker1

September
Bupa Great North Run
forceword

Disneyland Half
K80K

Children's Way 5K
momto2littlemonsters

Philly Rock ‘n’ Roll Half
K80K

Virginia Beach Rock 'n' Roll Half
disney_mommy

October
Disney Wine and Dine Half
K80K
disney_mommy

Race for the Cure
momto2littlemonsters

Boston Half
K80K

Lewis & Clark Marathon
jwalker1

Baltimore Half
K80K

November
Philadelphia Half
K80K

December
PUMA Hellrunner
forceword

Rehobeth Half
K80K

Frostbite Festival 10mile
jwalker1

January
Disney World Half/Full Marathon
forceword
luckymum22 - half
ghoulishgirl - Goofy
jwalker1 - Goofy

Thanks for the new thread Andrea!

Yesterday I had a BEAUTIFUL run! The weather in MN is about 35-40° right now, the sidewalks are beginning to be free of ice and snow and the sun is shining! I am so happy to be running in my new skirt (runningskirts.com - LOVE it!) and a lighter weight shirt. I am sure people who drive by wonder who the crazy lady is running in a skirt with bare legs while there is still snow at least 3 feet high on the ground! :rotfl: DH and I ran 3.15 miles in 35'02". We dealt with hills and talking (yes, talking is a challenge for me). Today was the weigh in for BL9 on the WISH and I am down only 1 pound this week but that is still good since my total loss in 9 weeks is 22 pounds.

All in all....I am happy for all the support I have found on the WISH and the new WAY healthier lifestyle I have found! Have a great Friday everyone!

Jen

Just wanted to let everyone know that I liked Scott's (scoolover) suggestion about a calendar for our team, so I've started it in the first post. I'll be in Disney this weekend (racing in the Princess half!!), so I won't be able to update it until next week, but I will do it. I'll go back over our original thread and pull the info from there, or you can post it here on this thread and I'll get it here.

eta - this calendar is for all races or events, not just Disney.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I liked Scott's (scoolover) suggestion about a calendar for our team, so I've started it in the first post. I'll be in Disney this weekend (racing in the Princess half!!), so I won't be able to update it until next week, but I will do it. I'll go back over our original thread and pull the info from there, or you can post it here on this thread and I'll get it here.

eta - this calendar is for all races or events, not just Disney.

WOW! You are getting us so organized....I LOVE it! :lovestruc

I will post mine here so you don't have to look for it (knowing you will be gone and will do it later). :goodvibes

Virtual Valentines Day 5K - completed :thumbsup2
Luck of the iWISH 5K
Lucky 7 (7K) on March 20th
Obesity Challenge (5K) on April 17th (I am meeting up with Corinna from Team Ohana!)

That is it for now. Thanks for all your hard work Andrea!

Yabadabadou!!! a new thread. Not too busy at work. A lot of people coming back from vacation (all schools were closed for winter vacation in Québec this week). It seems that it was cold everywhere this week: Jamaïca, Mexico, Florida and Cuba.
I will go for a short run today; it is supposed to warm up to 40F. We will see. Yesterday, I just learn that my favorite running store will open in my town at the end of April :cool1:: it is called the Running Room and it is very popular in Canada. They have classes for every distance so I will not have to do my long distance all by myself anymore :yay:

For the race calendar, I am doing the Half marathon in Ottawa,Ont on May 30.

have a nice day
Diane

Good morning everyone! I am getting ready to drive over to Disney to run in the Princess 1/2 tomorrow. My kids have ball game this morning and then we will head over. My wonderful mom flew down last night to go with us. I'm a little nervous because my last runs have been terrible. This is my first long race so if I can just finish then I will be happy. Especially considering 6 months I couldn't run around the block.

And for the race calendar - I am doing the princess race tomorrow, and the Sarasota 1/2 on March 14.

Andrea, thanks for pulling this all together!

Today I did W5D3 of the C25K, I ran for 20 mins straight. I'm considering doing a 10K on May 1st. I need to do 4 miles on my next run if I stay on track with the training. Right now that will probably take me 2 hours.

Andrea:
You are doing an awesome job. I made a wise choice. :banana:

All is pretty well here in CT. I have been loving the weather. It is almost time to put away the jeans. Even if it's cold, it's still worth wearing the shorts. Psychologically they feel good.

I have been busy getting the nursery ready for the baby that is supposed to come at the end of May but the Dr's keep saying that they will be happy to get to 34 weeks. We are 6 weeks away from that. It has not been a typical pregnancy but we are making due.

Most importantly, ;) I have kept my running streak alive. I am over 3 months and approaching 100 days. If we get out of the class early tomorrow, there is a 3 mile race I'd love to run. I don't see it happening though.

Glad that everyone is doing well and feeling inspired by the WISH!

Good morning team,

What a beautiful day it was. I went for a short run in the afternoon and like Scott said, it was almost warm enough for a run in short :sunny:. Spring is in the air at last.
Good luck today for those of you doing the Princess.

Diane

Hey, Rebels! Just wanted to share my excitement - I completed the Princess this morning! My time was so slow, but like I heard someone say on the course: "The medal looks just the same whether I come in first or last, so why kill myself?" But I did it, so I'm ecstatic! Full report will follow, once I've recovered.

Diane - We have a store called The Running Room here as well. I am wondering if it is the same running store...I saw on their website one is opening in Ontario so it could be. I plan on joining some of their weeknight runs now that I can run far enough.

Joy - I hope that your Princess run went well! Can't wait to have you come back and report about it!

cwnhokie - Sounds like you had a nice run on your C25K program. I would love to consider a 10K but I think it is going to be a bit before I try one.

Scott - It is great to get an update from you! I am happy to hear that your wife and baby are doing well. I don't do typical pregnancies so I totally understand that! Both of mine came early as well. Glad to hear that you are still finding time to run. Isn't it great to run in shorts again?

Andrea - CONGRATULATIONS! Way to go! :yay: I think it is amazing to just finish and to know that your time was fast enough NOT to get swept and fast enough TO earn a medal! I can't wait to hear your report when you return. I want all the details! I am hoping that you do a full trip report!

AFM - It was totally beautiful here this weekend. Our temperatures were in the 40°s and the sun was bright! I was able to wear my running skirt all weekend and felt like I could tell winter is coming to an end.

I ran twice this weekend. On Saturday, DH and I did a "long run" (not for most of you but this is HUGE for me)...we went a full 7K without any walking! It felt great. Our final distance was 4.65 miles and we averaged a 11'30" min/mile. Today, DH and I just took an easy 2 mile run while DS rode his bike. We were both a bit sore after yesterday's run and wanted an easy day. This week I logged a total of 15.44 miles and it feels great.

Two things that I am thinking about lately...the first is a new running plan. I finished the C25K. I consider myself a successful graduate but need something new. I would like to train for either a 1/2 or a full marathon next. I know I will be doing a 1/2, I don't know if I will do a full. I would like to think if I trained for one I would do it. Anyways...as I look at new programs - I have no clue where to start. The biggest thing is do I start at week 1 of a new program (that seems like going backwards)? Do I start at week 9 (seriously...4-5 mile runs are a regular thing)? Do I start someplace in the middle like at week 4? I would love to hear from anyone who did the C25K first and moved on from there.

My next issue is heat. As I said, right now it is in the 40s here and I am already very comfortable in a shirt and a very light weight long sleeve shirt. Yesterday I wore a hat and light weight gloves but took them off by mile 2. By mile 3, I would have almost taken off my shirt and run in my sports bra but I was sure that would have caused people to be a bit concerned for the crazy runner! :rotfl: Anyone else get way too hot as you run? Is it just me?

Alright...I will sign off now. Congratulations to our Princess runners!
Jen

Well done Andrea.

You finished so far ahead of all those people who didn't even make it to the start.

You should be very proud,

Liam

Yeah Andrea!:woohoo:
Congratulations on your finish at the Princess!

Bob and I just got the "Official Results" of our last 5K. They took 2 weeks to post! The next (and last) 5K in this Frozen Foot series is next weekend. If you remember my last posts, on the first one in the series, Bob ran with me and we got passed by old ladies and dogs! So with this last race he ran on his own-here's how we did:
Barb- placed 316th out of 365 runners, 15th out of 21 women ages 40-44, time 33:52.5
Bob- placed 191st out of 365 runners, 24th out of 37 men ages 40-44, time 27:04.8
On our last race on this course we both came in at 34:33.
I guess I am just a back of the pack kind of runner! I'm ok with that as long as I don't get swept at the WDW Half Marathon in January.
I think Bob is happy to see where he ranks among other men his age rather than being last like last time just because he was holding my hand (literally and figuratively!)
We haven't decided how we will run next week, together or separately, but I know this is the last time for this course! We are anxious to try something new and different in April~
what upcoming races are you all signed up for?

Hi Rebels! I am just poking my head in the door for a message on today's Monday Mixer.

Since Corinna is traveling today, I have volunteered to host the Mixer for a day.

So have a drink, relax a bit and join in the Monday Mixer with us…..
In honor of those who ran the Princess Half as their favorite princess (and other Disney races as their favorite characters), tell us all a bit about your favorite Disney characters.

7903.jpg

Congrats to all the princess runners out there! Yesterday, 4.5 miles, my program is up to a 7:3 run/walk ratio, so when the half hour is up, I just walk the rest.

This morning 1300ish yards swimming. Today I am exactly 2 months from SheROX Tempe triathlon. There are other tri's that some friends are trying to get me to sign up for, so we will see! I haven't committed to anything yet.

Andrea: So proud of you! You did awesome! So happy to have finally met you in person. I love the idea of a group calendar. Here is my plan for the remainder of the year:
04/24/10 Ocean City Half Marathon 1/2
05/02/10 Frederick 1/2
05/16/10 Historic Half 1/2
05/23/10 Maryland 1/2
06/06/10 Zooma Annapolis 1/2
06/13/10 SH7
06/19/10 B10 10Mi
06/27/10 13.1 Boston 1/2
09/05/10 Disneyland Half Marathon 1/2
09/19/10 Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly 1/2
10/02/10 Disney Wine and Dine 1/2
10/16/10 Baltimore 1/2
11/21/10 Philadelphia Half Marathon 1/2
12/03/10 Rehobeth Half Marathon 1/2

Wow Katie-you are queen of the Halfs!

Bob and I are lined up for some local 5K's for now:
03-14 Frozen Foot 5K, Elizabethtown (#3 of 3 in Series)
04-10 Logan’s Run 5K & Walk for Autism Awareness-City Island, Harrisburg PA
05-01 Turkey Hill 11th Annual Country Classic 5K, Lancaster, PA
05-08 Miles for Moms 5K to benefit Mom's House® Lancaster, PA
05-22 Spring Sprint 5K race-Masonic Village, Elizabethtown

We are going to do a 10K in August to get qualified for a corral placement for the WDW Half. We are also hoping to increase miles and do some 5 miler races and 8K or 10K's as we move into summer. Still checking over local road runner club websites for announcements-very exciting!
~Barb & Bob

Barb - I think your 5K time on your last race was good! I am impressed. I am scared a bit that you think that the time is a back of the pack type of running - my 5K is going to be at least 33 minutes. Sounds like you are happy this is the last run of the series coming up...it will be good that you can try something new after it.

I think it is great that you and Bob are signed up for so many races. From the looks of your schedule, you will be busy running this spring and summer!

I have a 7K in 2 weeks and then a 5K in April - nothing after that though. I need to find some other races to sign up for. There are tons of races in my area but it is difficult to tell which ones would be great for such an inexperienced racer like me.

Katie - WOW is all I can say! I can't believe how many races you have planned! I think it is great, I just can't imagine what type of runner you have to be though to run all those 1/2 marathons. I am thinking that a run a month seems like a lot! :rotfl:

I can't wait to hear about your experiences with them though. I learn so much from all of you who are serious runners.

Tiffany - Great job on getting all the miles done. I finally got to the point where I can run 4.2 miles. I will admit to my ignorance...how far do you have to run in a tri? I would love to hear more about these. I think that it must take a lot to train for all 3 events.

AFM - Tonight I am totally taking the night off. I am not going to exercise at all. Monday was a cross training day and I lifted weights as well as walked 2 miles. On Tuesday I had to run on the TM because it is cold and rainy here right now. I only did 5K because I really do hate the TM. I would much rather be running outside with below zero temperatures. I had planned to try to put in a few extra miles this week but we are suppose to have rain all week so it is probably not going to happen.

Hope everyone is having a great week!
Jen

Katie - WOW is all I can say! I can't believe how many races you have planned! I think it is great, I just can't imagine what type of runner you have to be though to run all those 1/2 marathons. I am thinking that a run a month seems like a lot! :rotfl:

A slow but obsessive one, lol. I declared this year the year of the half marathon with hopes of getting my Half Fanatic status off of Uranus and up to Saturn. It is also a way of getting in my running fix without running a full.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter