• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Target 10% off - GC's included?

Didn't want to make another thread but last night, i went to Target. Brought in a $25 gc with me, ended up spending $27. Used the remaining on my redbird card. did not get the 5% off. I think some rules are changing... probably will no longer carry my redbird card...

anyone know whats going on?
You paid for a $27 purchase with a $25 Target GC and your REDCard? That means that all of $2 was being paid by your REDCard. You should have gotten 5% off of the two dollars, which means that your REDcard would have been charge $1.90.

You paid for a $27 purchase with a $25 Target GC and your REDCard? That means that all of $2 was being paid by your REDCard. You should have gotten 5% off of the two dollars, which means that your REDcard would have been charge $1.90.

hmm, i will have to double check the amount but like, it usually will show a 5% discount, which didn't appear on my receipt...

hmm, i will have to double check the amount but like, it usually will show a 5% discount, which didn't appear on my receipt...
The 5% is only on the amount paid using the REDCard. If you partially paid using GCs, it will not apply to the full amount.

If there was tax in the 27 there probably wouldn't have been much of a discount depending on the rate. 9.5% here so my 37.90 pre tax purchase saved me 1.90 and after tax on 34.11, had one candy thing and there's no tax on food, was 3.24, so I paid 39.24.

i got charged the full amount... :\

NWqdADF.jpg

unless i missed something somewhere...

i got charged the full amount... :\

NWqdADF.jpg

unless i missed something somewhere...

It says you used an Amex. The redcard discount is only when using a Target redcard credit card or debit card. So there shouldn't have been a discount and you were charged properly.

And even if a red card had been used it would have been 5% of 4 cents which is a zero discount.

It says you used an Amex. The redcard discount is only when using a Target redcard credit card or debit card. So there shouldn't have been a discount and you were charged properly.

kmJLmDf.jpg

And even if a red card had been used it would have been 5% of 4 cents which is a zero discount.

ehh? $2.04 * 5% = $.10 no?

Edit: wait, im guessing it doesnt take tax off then huh? i should pay attention next time...

My guess is that the prepaid AMEX RED card works differently than the "regular" (debit/credit) RED card.

kmJLmDf.jpg

ehh? $2.04 * 5% = $.10 no?

Edit: wait, im guessing it doesnt take tax off then huh? i should pay attention next time...
I think you've nailed it with the tax. Target cannot discount the sales tax that you pay because the state wants their full %. In some states, the sales tax is calculated only on the amount that the customer pays for an item (such as %-off deals or prices reduced by coupon use). But when you pay with a GC, it's the same as paying with cash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter