Talk to a Stranger or Nose Stuck in a Cell Phone?

MIGrandma

Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.
Which are you?

Here is something my oldest granddaughter posted on Facebook this afternoon. It's long, but it sure made me stop and think.

"I was waiting to get an oil change and like anyone else I pulled out my phone to pass time. I was sitting next to an elderly man and he turned to me and said "is that one of those iPhone things?" I replied yes and he proceeded to tell me about how his nephew prank calls him all the time on an iPhone. What started out as a polite conversation quickly turned sour as he proceeded to tell me that iPhones have ruined the world. I had put my phone away and engaged in a real conversation with the man at this point but none the less felt embarrassed that instead of willingly engaging in conversation upon my arrival I pulled out my phone. For the next 20 minutes, the man and I bonded over the work we were having done on our vehicles, the loss of my great grandfather and his wife to Alzheimer's, and many stories about his past. My car came off the lift and I stood to go pay my bill. I thanked the man at the front desk and turned to the man and said "it was very nice meeting you. I hope you have a good day." In reply the man said "thank you for having a genuine conversation. It was something I thought your generation forgot how to do. It means more than you think to a lonely old man who doesn't have anyone." I then hugged this stranger and our paths separated. It's moments like these that make me so thankful for the upbringing I was blessed to have. Respect your elders and speak when spoken to were two big morals that my parents imposed on my brother and me. It was because of these morals that I was able to have the amazing conversation with a stranger while getting my oil changed. It's something I will never forget."

Wow, really made me stop and think about how I would have handled that type of situation. As I have grown older I find it increasingly difficult and uncomfortable to have a conversation with someone I don't know. In all honesty I probably would have kept my nose stuck in my phone instead of engaging in conversation with the man. Oh, I would have smiled at him and answered his questions politely but I wouldn't have pushed the conversation to continue. But I'm not too old to learn by example, even from my young granddaughter. Put my phone away and talk to people. So, which type of person are you? One who would willingly engage in a conversation with the man, or keep your attention focused on your phone?

I responded to my granddaughter by telling her she brought a tear to my eye, and that I was proud of her. And I said that cell phones can be a wonderful thing, but sometimes I kind of wish they were still "bag phones plugged into the car." :)

I find the older I get the easier it is for me to talk to strangers. I won't usually strike up a conversation but if someone talks to me I will definitely talk back. I'll try to be interested unless I am getting a bad vibe from them for whatever reason.

I'm definetly the 'talk to a stranger' type. I'm constantly talking to people I don't know- not crazy stuff, but general conversation. In WDW, I usually start it off by "so, where are you from". I've met some fastinating people by doing this.

I never talked to strangers before cell phones and I don't now. And it definitely isn't the cell phone's fault.

Before we had cell phones, I would have my nose buried in one of the magazines provided in waiting areas. I also often had a book in my purse I could pull out.

if you think about it it was the iphone that actually helped start the engaging conversation so sometimes it can be an icebreaker.

personally though i don't use my phone much in public.
when i'm waiting for something such as waiting for my name to be called at a dr's appointment i just sit there and think about things.

sometimes people start talking to me and sometimes i chime in on a conversation i overhear and start a conversation that way.

i think there are people that are just very shy and they are probably happy that in today's society they can just bury their nose in the phone so people don't interact with them and that doesn't bother me.

if you think about it it was the iphone that actually helped start the engaging conversation so sometimes it can be an icebreaker.

personally though i don't use my phone much in public.
when i'm waiting for something such as waiting for my name to be called at a dr's appointment i just sit there and think about things.

sometimes people start talking to me and sometimes i chime in on a conversation i overhear and start a conversation that way.

i think there are people that are just very shy and they are probably happy that in today's society they can just bury their nose in the phone so people don't interact with them and that doesn't bother me.

You're probably right about my granddaughter's cell phone starting the actual conversation. :)

I have always been shy, and even moreso as I get older. Maybe it is partially from being an only child and not always having someone to play with, spending time by myself quite often. And when talking to strangers I just seem to not really know what to say. My Mom was always a talker, and I was always wondering how she could think of things to talk about so fast. :) I did not take after her in that department. :)

I kind of take offense. I frequently use my cell phone in waiting rooms, but that in no way means I'm not capable of holding a "genuine conversation". If I was on my phone and someone engaged with me, I'd put it down and speak with them. Me using my phone doesn't mean I'm a mindless zombie. And it's not the "younger generation" that's ruined either. I know plenty of people in their 70's that are glued to their phones as much as younger people!

I talk to everyone, always have always will. Sometimes I initiate it more times than not someone else does. My kids were mortified when they were younger that no matter what we were doing, no matter where we were, someone was always talking with me. They constantly rolled their eyes and sent out deep sighs.

Now one is a high ranking military officer and the other is a realtor. I guess both of them are talking to people now :chat:

I never talked to strangers before cell phones and I don't now. And it definitely isn't the cell phone's fault.

Before we had cell phones, I would have my nose buried in one of the magazines provided in waiting areas. I also often had a book in my purse I could pull out.
Yea, this. I'm horrible and awkward at small talk. I'm not good at keeping it going. Or I'll completely overshare and have a tmi moment. So I just don't bother.

I love talking to strangers. I do read on my phone though when somewhere like that, but would certainly talk to people around me. I don't feel phones have ruined the world, just changed it.

I kind of take offense. I frequently use my cell phone in waiting rooms, but that in no way means I'm not capable of holding a "genuine conversation". If I was on my phone and someone engaged with me, I'd put it down and speak with them. Me using my phone doesn't mean I'm a mindless zombie. And it's not the "younger generation" that's ruined either. I know plenty of people in their 70's that are glued to their phones as much as younger people!

I'm sorry. No offense was intended. :flower3:

Sometimes people don't want to engage in a conversation with a stranger. Nothing wrong about that at all. Cell phones are wonderful now for waiting rooms, bus rides, etc. You can read the news, keep in touch with family or friends by texting, play games. All great things to help pass the time.
Now if you are talking loudly and disturbing others on your phone that's one thing. (And loud talkers are annoying no matter if they are talking on a phone or to someone)
My mother in law has to take/drive my father in law to many doctor apts and wait for long periods in waiting rooms. All of her children got together and got her a smart phone and iPad to keep in touch with us - and give her something to do while she's waiting so often. It's "her" time to herself often because she has to car for her husband so much!

I don't like talking to strangers .(I feel some people feel everyone should be an extrovert because they are.) Even if I don't have my phone, I almost always have a book.

People are way too obsessed with how people should talk to strangers. Why? Public small talk is extremely draining to me.

Not from you. I mean if I were in the conversation with that gentleman I would have been offended at his comments.

Oh, okay. :) I didn't take his words offensively, I just thought it was something to think about. About how some people seem to spend so much time on their phones, either talking or texting or checking e-mails, or playing games, etc. And often not having a real conversation with a real person. I'm as guilty as the next person on that as well. My brother-in-law comes to mind, as he is a big "phone person" and is on it almost constantly. But that's a whole other thread! :laughing:Anyway, I thought it was sweet of my granddaughter how she stopped a sour moment and turned it into a nice conversation with him that seemed to make his day and got me to thinking about how I handle situations like that myself.

I usually try to strike up conversations because I'm bored easily. I don't like looking unapproachable by using my phone/book. I often feel drained when I look at my phone for too long. Like my eyes will just roll into the back of my head.

I go through phases. Sometimes I am reading a really good book and will try to grab even a minute to keep the story going while waiting at Starbucks.

I have heard some people say that they take a book, phone or headphones because they don't want to talk. So I give up.

I make friends in an empty room and I'll talk to anyone willing to listen. I LOVE asking questions and listening to the answers. I LOVE it when I find that one thing that lights someone's eyes all up and glowing about a subject.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter