Talk to a Stranger or Nose Stuck in a Cell Phone?

I try my best to never make someone uncomfortable. I know that many people don't want to chat. I do carry a book to keep me entertained. You know what I really miss? Small talk on the plane. I fly at least once, if not more, a month and sometimes I'd just like to have conversation about something other than work during these trips.
And that is the difference between introverts and extroverts :). I despise somebody trying to talk to me on a plane. It is not that I am rude or don't like people, I just crave and enjoy solitude.

And that is the difference between introverts and extroverts :). I despise somebody trying to talk to me on a plane. It is not that I am rude or don't like people, I just crave and enjoy solitude.
And I don't bother anyone anyone sitting next to me on the plane. I just open my paperback book and read. If someone wants to chat, I'm more than happy.

I'm the one with my nose in a phone or an ereader. And before smart phones and ereaders my nose would have been buried in a book. I'm an introvert and not only hate talking to strangers, I love the time by myself with my phone/book.

That being said, I am polite and will respond and converse if someone starts a conversation with me. But if it goes on too long, I'll probably try to get myself out of the conversation.

Last edited:
Because all people you don't know are all evil with bad intentions so its best not to even acknowledge them?

With a toddler, yes, everyone is dangerous and has bad intentions, if you read the news and know the world we live in right now, it is not the world I grew up in. IF she ever got lost or separated from an adult, she knows exactly where to go and who to speak to, beyond that, my child doesn't speak to anyone I don't know... PERIOD!!!

I'm usually like this too but there was one time during a flight with some extremely strong turbulence. A man across the aisle decided to talk to me maybe out of nervousness, and I actually enjoyed the conversation. Since I was traveling alone, it helped keep me from completely freaking out too. :)

With a toddler, yes, everyone is dangerous and has bad intentions, if you read the news and know the world we live in right now, it is not the world I grew up in. IF she ever got lost or separated from an adult, she knows exactly where to go and who to speak to, beyond that, my child doesn't speak to anyone I don't know... PERIOD!!!

Actually times are much safer now (assuming you grew up in 70s/80s/90s) than when you grew up (at least in the U.S.). The number of stranger abductions has gone waaaay down, but with the increased availability of media at the fingertips it has created a sense of more danger.

I never talked to strangers before cell phones and I don't now. And it definitely isn't the cell phone's fault.

Before we had cell phones, I would have my nose buried in one of the magazines provided in waiting areas. I also often had a book in my purse I could pull out.
I always had my "waiting" tote bag with me. Book, magazine, cross stitch or crochet project, water and maybe a snack. I never pulled them out right away and I don't pull my phone or iPad out immediately either. If I leave the house it's a pretty good bet I'll have a conversation with someone. Today I helped an older gentleman pick out dishwasher detergent and heard about his bad knees from being in the service. I like to talk to people but I'm also content to sit quietly.

Because all people you don't know are all evil with bad intentions so its best not to even acknowledge them?
What is it to you? It's not a personal affront because people don't want to talk to strangers. Is there some law saying you must speak to people that are needy for attention?

There have always been people who don't like to make small talk with strangers, it has nothing to do with "those iPhone things". Like others have said, we introverts just used different methods of avoiding these kinds of conversations before cell phones existed, such as reading books or magazines.

I never talked to strangers before cell phones and I don't now. And it definitely isn't the cell phone's fault.

Before we had cell phones, I would have my nose buried in one of the magazines provided in waiting areas. I also often had a book in my purse I could pull out.

It's a waiting room, not a dinner table. There's no requirement to have conversations with those waiting next to you. I'm an introvert, and I don't enjoy small talk at all. I would have politely responded, but I don't care how old he is, it's rude of him to have criticized her generation to her face.

The problem is the older generation thinking it's young people's fault for using technology. It's not. There's nothing wrong with being on your phone in a waiting room. Would he have had a problem if she had been reading the newspaper or a book? I doubt it. But they see and electronic and think there's a problem with "kids these days." Yawn.

I'm sure many will disagree with this post as I see many threads about "kids these days" here too.

I agree with both these posts.

When I'm waiting at the doctors', or in an airport or whatever, I'm not interested in having conversations with random strangers. I'll be either reading a book/magazine/newspaper/phone, or 'chatting' with my friends via text/Facebook.

It'd be incredibly rude of someone to interrupt me for a conversation, simply because it's what they want to do, or think I'm antisocial for minding my own business whilst reading.

I am a speech therapist. Talking to people is what I have to do all day, everyday.

When I get off, other than my family, I really don't care to talk to anyone else. I am the one looking at my phone or kindle.

Talking to strangers while waiting is not something I want to do.

Our last couple of cruises we have specifically requested at table for just our family. Nothing worse than making small talk over 2 hour dinners for 7 days.

When I was younger (high school), I was ALL extrovert and would talk to anyone and everyone, all the time. I'm 26 now and over the past 5 years or so, I've definitely become more of a "situational" extrovert. I'm still more extrovert than introvert, for sure, but I've come to value silence and peace a bit more. Sometimes I talk to the person next to me, and sometimes I read a book or just sit quietly. It depends on the mood and where I am. For instance, I am not the kind of personally who generally excitedly starts up a random conversation on a plane or subway. If someone speaks or comments, I will laugh and comment back, and leave it at that. However, if I'm teaching (I'm an art instructor) a room full of 30 adults, I tend to be very talkative and animated and high energy. My husband is an introvert to the highest extent and living with him has taught me how to handle different situations and different people :thumbsup2

It'd be incredibly rude of someone to interrupt me for a conversation, simply because it's what they want to do, or think I'm antisocial for minding my own business whilst reading.

Maybe those are the ones who should be learning a lesson ;)

[QUOTE="MIGrandma, post: 53750668, member: 248447"

"I was waiting to get an oil change and like anyone else I pulled out my phone to pass time. I was sitting next to an elderly man and he turned to me and said "is that one of those iPhone things?" I replied yes and he proceeded to tell me about how his nephew prank calls him all the time on an iPhone. What started out as a polite conversation quickly turned sour as he proceeded to tell me that iPhones have ruined the world. I had put my phone away and engaged in a real conversation with the man at this point but none the less felt embarrassed that instead of willingly engaging in conversation upon my arrival I pulled out my phone. For the next 20 minutes, the man and I bonded over the work we were having done on our vehicles, the loss of my great grandfather and his wife to Alzheimer's, and many stories about his past.

My car came off the lift and I stood to go pay my bill. I thanked the man at the front desk and turned to the man and said "it was very nice meeting you. I hope you have a good day." In reply the man said "thank you for having a genuine conversation. It was something I thought your generation forgot how to do. It means more than you think to a lonely old man who doesn't have anyone."

I then hugged this stranger and our paths separated.t."
:)[/QUOTE]

Honestly? It really sounds like a script for the Anti-Cell Phone people

20 minutes you discuss so many topics
(my oil change place takes MAYBE 10 minutes)
and then HUG THE STRANGER? It really sounds like a script of a Lifetime Movie
seriously-I would NOT HUG a stranger!

I will talk to anyone and everyone about anything. I mean my job is to talk to strangers. BUT sometime I want a break from it and I will pull put my iphone.

[QUOTE="MIGrandma, post: 53750668, member: 248447"

"I was waiting to get an oil change and like anyone else I pulled out my phone to pass time. I was sitting next to an elderly man and he turned to me and said "is that one of those iPhone things?" I replied yes and he proceeded to tell me about how his nephew prank calls him all the time on an iPhone. What started out as a polite conversation quickly turned sour as he proceeded to tell me that iPhones have ruined the world. I had put my phone away and engaged in a real conversation with the man at this point but none the less felt embarrassed that instead of willingly engaging in conversation upon my arrival I pulled out my phone. For the next 20 minutes, the man and I bonded over the work we were having done on our vehicles, the loss of my great grandfather and his wife to Alzheimer's, and many stories about his past.

My car came off the lift and I stood to go pay my bill. I thanked the man at the front desk and turned to the man and said "it was very nice meeting you. I hope you have a good day." In reply the man said "thank you for having a genuine conversation. It was something I thought your generation forgot how to do. It means more than you think to a lonely old man who doesn't have anyone."

I then hugged this stranger and our paths separated.t."
:)

seriously-I would NOT HUG a stranger![/QUOTE]

Wow. Yes, honestly. My granddaughter is a very sweet, caring and loving person. I am extremely proud of how she handled the situation with that man.

I enjoy striking up conversations with strangers, or being on the receiving end.

About the only time I've found it uncomfortable was recently in the waiting room before my colonoscopy. DW & I were half an hour into a show on Netflix on her iPad when a stranger tried to engage us in a political rant that was only slightly related to the news program that was airing. And he went from one tangent to the next.

Some strangers are obviously more interesting than others :)

I can strike up a conversation with a rock. I talk to everyone. That is one of the great things about living in a tourist destination. I always ask people where they are from and, often, have a pleasant conversation. I've talked to people from all over the world. I can usually tell within the first few seconds if the person doesn't want to talk. If so, I back off. Fortunately, most people are pleasant and willing. You just have to take that first step and say "hello".

The thing about introverts, they don't mind being lonely :)

I don't really use my phone, but I always have my nook on me. I really don't want to make small talk with strangers, I want to sit quietly reading my book until whatever I'm waiting for is finished. If someone says hello, I'll say hello back, but I'll put my nose right back into my nook so I don't have to have any further conversation.

I'm like this, too. If it's not my phone, then I'm reading my Kindle. Conversations with strangers are very draining for me because I don't always know what to say or how to respond. Small talk is not easy. So If I don't engage in conversation with someone, it's not because I'm rude, it's because I prefer to spend my time doing something else. I'll smile politely and say hello, but that's about it. We live in an extroverted world and it's unfortunate that so many of us introverts get unfairly judged because we prefer quiet and solitude.

My husband will talk to anyone, anytime. He can learn more about a person's life in a 10 minute conversation than I could in 10 conversations with that person. I'm very content with letting him do most of the talking when we're around strangers or casual acquaintances. :thumbsup2

We really should. Are you like me and can sense an introvert and let them off the hook by NOT talking to them? I love that instant relief they exude when that happens.

This made me laugh because that is exactly how I feel when someone realizes I'm not interested in a conversation! It's nice to know that there are people out there who can see that and respect it without judgement.

seriously-I would NOT HUG a stranger!

Wow. Yes, honestly. My granddaughter is a very sweet, caring and loving person. I am extremely proud of how she handled the situation with that man.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't mean that people who wouldn't have handled it the same way aren't sweet, caring, and loving as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter