Talk me out of getting a dog (please)

Thanks everyone! It's nice to see that there's consensus on this one! I will tell DS that the Disboard says "No dog -- get a cat instead!"

One more cat question: The apartment I think I'm moving to is in a building with an interior courtyard/garden. It's surrounded on all sides by the building with no way in or out except through the building. Obviously a cat can't get hit by a car or attacked by a coyote in this courtyard.

If we were with him/her would this be a safe place for a cat? I assume there are rules against leaving it alone, but if I took it out when I went out, and brought it in when I came in, would it OK. Could I take it on a leash? I've heard so often that "all cats should be indoor cats" but I'm not really sure what the risks would be in situation -- perhaps a bird of prey, or fleas, or getting stuck in a tree (only little trees though, which is good 'cause the fire department would never get in). If I did let the cat out there, and later on moved someplace without this "perk" would the cat miss it?

Thanks!

Well I have to say that all this talk about "dirty butts" has my LMAO! Cats are quite possibly the cleanest animals God ever created. I have been looking at cat and dog butts everyday for nearly 18 yrs and I can count on two hands the number of times I've had to "attend" to something in the nether region of my pets. (I had a long haired cat with diarrhea once, that wasn't pleasant).

I have had a snow white cat (Scottish Fold) for 5 years, and I have to tell you, his butt sparkles. I also have a pure white dog (West Highland White Terrier) and I never have any problem with her backside, either. Now, we did just adopt a new cat about 10 days ago, and she has longer hair so occasionally I may have to cut the hair around the tail, but no big deal.

OP, I highly suggest a cat. They sleep most of the day anyway. If dirty butts may cause you concern, just don't get one with long hair. If you can, adopt one that is a few years old. Our Scottish fold was 5 when we adopted him, and our new cat is 4.5. By that age they are still playful, but have stopped a lot of the kitten behaviour like scratching furniture, etc. They are also very, very grateful to have a home.

I concur about cats -- we would really love a dog, but we just don't think we're the right household for one. So we have two cats -- one is okay by itself, but two just ups the entertainment for each of them and for us (just watched our 10 year old cat leap onto the tail of the other one who flew up 2 feet, all puffed up...laughed so hard I choked! :rotfl: ). Plus there's a cuddle partner when you're not around.

I have had cats my whole life. As a child my parents always let my cats go outside...and not a one of them lived past the age of 8 (average life span of a cat is about 14...my friend's cat is 19!). In fact, my mother just had to put to sleep her outdoor cat b/c it had gotten feline AIDS and finally gotten sick from it, and a few months ago my sister's cat was killed by either a coyote or dog that somehow got under or over their fence :sad2: This is the same cat who lost one of its eyes b/c some neighborhood kid shot it with a BB. Do some internet research and you'll see that they estimate the average life span of an outdoor cat is around 4 years. Now you'll get lots of people who've had animals who were perfectly fine being outdoor cats, but you can't ignore the increased danger from cars, cruel people/kids, animals (if not killed, attacked by...even birds, once saw a cat get knocked off a fence by a blue jay), you have to pay for flea treatments, ear mites, worms, poisoning or stomach upset from eating things that are bad for them. Also, with an out door cat definitely no skipping those annual shots esp. feline leukemia, etc. And if all that doesn't get to someone, the financial bottom line is that you're more likely to have vet bills related to the risk of being outdoors.

Good luck walking a cat though :rotfl: Unless by walking you mean dragging his/her limp body across the lawn. I know some people, like the lucky person above, manage to get it to work...but some people have cats who like to surf. ;)

T
One more cat question: The apartment I think I'm moving to is in a building with an interior courtyard/garden. It's surrounded on all sides by the building with no way in or out except through the building. Obviously a cat can't get hit by a car or attacked by a coyote in this courtyard.

If we were with him/her would this be a safe place for a cat? I assume there are rules against leaving it alone, but if I took it out when I went out, and brought it in when I came in, would it OK. Could I take it on a leash? I've heard so often that "all cats should be indoor cats" but I'm not really sure what the risks would be in situation -- perhaps a bird of prey, or fleas, or getting stuck in a tree (only little trees though, which is good 'cause the fire department would never get in). If I did let the cat out there, and later on moved someplace without this "perk" would the cat miss it?

Thanks!

As an owner of 2 indoor/outdoor dogs and 3 totally indoor cats, I second the cat suggestion. If you get a cat, I would strongly suggest you keep it inside. If you get a young kitten or an older cat that has only been an indoor cat, they will probably be quite content to stay inside. Our vet has told us that it is not unusual for a cat to live to be 25 years old if they are an indoor cat, because most death is caused by attacks from other animals, contact with another cat who has feline leukemia or another disease, getting run over, etc. With that being said, we had a cat who we adopted at 6 months old who had been basically a barn cat. She adapted very well to being inside, but was always trying to run out the door when it was opened. We were actually able to walk her on a leash (she took to the leash very quickly) and that seemed to satisfy her desire to go outside. I also agree with the suggestion of getting two cats. Animals like company too!

Well I have to say that all this talk about "dirty butts" has my LMAO! Cats are quite possibly the cleanest animals God ever created. I have been looking at cat and dog butts everyday for nearly 18 yrs and I can count on two hands the number of times I've had to "attend" to something in the nether region of my pets. (I had a long haired cat with diarrhea once, that wasn't pleasant).

I have had a snow white cat (Scottish Fold) for 5 years, and I have to tell you, his butt sparkles. I also have a pure white dog (West Highland White Terrier) and I never have any problem with her backside, either. Now, we did just adopt a new cat about 10 days ago, and she has longer hair so occasionally I may have to cut the hair around the tail, but no big deal.

OP, I highly suggest a cat. They sleep most of the day anyway. If dirty butts may cause you concern, just don't get one with long hair. If you can, adopt one that is a few years old. Our Scottish fold was 5 when we adopted him, and our new cat is 4.5. By that age they are still playful, but have stopped a lot of the kitten behaviour like scratching furniture, etc. They are also very, very grateful to have a home.

If you have a short haired cat that doesn't clean the "immediate area" let's say:rolleyes1 you can see... erm... residue, KWIM? Now I'm not sure this would transfer to sofas and such but it's possible. I had a manx that had this little problem and I think I found a couple smears over the years:crazy2: . I read on a manx website that they are known to have this problem if they don't clean themselves properly.

Having said that manx make great cats for boys. They are known as the man's cat because they act in alot of ways like a dog. We have dogs and cats and my son actually prefers the cats! Though he still loves his dogs he says cats are smarter and don't stink:rotfl: . Maine Coons are great cats too, if your looking for a breed, but calico cats have the best personalities IMHO and they're usually giving them away.

Dogs should never be left alone for that long, it's not fair to the dog and they need to walk daily or run and an apt. has no yard and they cost a lot! Food, toys, treats and vet bills. I'm glad you see that it would be a huge mistake. I don't know much about cats. We got my boss 2 kittens for Christmas (we heard a "friend" would be a good choice and he really wanted 2) with everything to go with it (it was quite expensive as we got the self cleaning litter box) he gave them away after 8 months to another friend because they were distructive when left alone for long periods. We worked 9-5, 4 days a week and he was gone 2 evenings for social things, so they weren't alone that much.

I have been looking at cat and dog butts everyday for nearly 18 yrs .

omg, please tell me you're a vet :rotfl2:
either that, or you may have just earned one of the funniest tags ever

:lmao:

to OP, the courtyard may seem like a fortress to a human, but cats are masters of escape. all it takes is one interesting bird, squirrel, etc, & they wiil jump high enough to get out (unless the wall is at least 20 feet high, with no trees or other "climbing devices" near, or it is entirely enclosed including the top & not even a little opening anywhere along the ground). it's not that cats try to get away from their owner, but they are very curious & hunters by nature. we've adopted previously outdoor cats, & like pp said, they will try to get out for quite a while (you're best not giving them that "taste" of outdoors, imho).
the suggestion of 2 cats is great, also. they are less likely to get bored (as in seeing how far they can "flip" things off a table :sad2: ) ~ watching 2 cats play can be one of the funniest thing ever too!! :lmao: (just try to train them not to use drapery rods as a racetrack tho). and you get a furbaby for each lap in your house :lovestruc
i'm really excited for you & your DS....add a furbaby to your home, & you'll never understand how you got along without one! :)

We're moving into an apartment that allows pets, and DS8 really really really wants a dog. He's been talking about it for a long time, and to be honest I think it would be great for him. However, I'm also pretty sure that us getting a dog wouldn't be fair to the animal. Here's my situation:

1) Single mom, one child, 2 bedroom apartment
2) Hoping to adopt a second baby, toddler or preschooler within the next few years.
3) I work long hours, DS is involved in a lot of sports etc . . . -- we're probably gone from home 7:45 till 7:00 most weekdays, I might be able to shave that a bit, but not much.
4) Money is an issue. I'm confident that I could afford food and regular vet care, but I have several friends whose dogs have had such separation anxiety that the neighbors complained and they had to put them in doggie daycare to avoid being evicted because of the noise. Doggie daycare is NOT in the budget on a regular basis. Maybe once a month if I'm staying late at work but not Monday through Friday.

DS talked me into looking through petfinders, and some of the older pets caught my eye -- 6 - 10 year old dogs who are described as sweet and gentle and are being rehomed because the owner moved to a nursing home or some such thing. Even then, though, they'd need to be exercised more than every 12 hours right?

I am really bad at letting DS talk me into things -- he's a little spoiled :rotfl: , and like I said I think that having a dog would be great for him (it was great for me as a kid), but I think I need to hold firm on this one -- don't I?

I'm going to disagree a little with many posters. I don't think that your lifestyle is a good fit a dog--or a cat. Not all cats are loners who would be happy to be left alone all day, every day. Our cat would be heartbroken. She loves having us home and is often glued to my hip, or my foot or lap, most of the day. When I'm subbing and DH is traveling, she is very needy when we get home. You can tell that she really missed us. Some cats really need/love/thrive on companionship.

Other than a fish, I just don't think that there's a pet that's a good fit for a house that's empty twelve hours a day.

Good luck!

From what you listed in your opening post, it sounds like you already know that a dog is just not the right fit for you.

I agree that a cat may not either, at least not if you plan on getting a kitten/younger cat. Contrary to popular belief, not all cats are aloof and distant. My cat loves being around people and having companionship. If she were alone for 12+ hours a day on a consistant business, she would be miserable.

If you really feel like a furry companion is absolutely necessary, adopting an older cat may be your best bet but it seems like the timing right now may not be fair to you or the potential pet in question.

Also, as to your apartment complex courtyard, you may want to check with the complex managers. I know at my apartment complex, cats are allowed, but have to be kept in the apartment at all times. Most complexes I'm aware of have rules similar to this, so it's likely that you wouldn't be allowed to just let the cat out in the courtyard anyways. If owners want to give their cats a taste of the outdoors, they usually put them on a leash and harness and go out with them for supervised playtime.

Talk to you local shelters - see if they have a program in place for children to volunteer maybe once a month or so. This way he can get exposure to the animals and help take care of them without the burden of day to day responsibilities. It will also serve as a great way for him to get a feel for how much work goes in to taking care of a pet before you commit.

Good luck!

OK, this post will be, admittedly, no help whatsoever. That said...

:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :laughing: and :happytv:

Thank you! I SO needed the laughs today. :flower3:

Now, back to a more useful, on topic post.

I agree with what everyone's said about having a dog - looks like now's not the right time - it'll happen!

IF you do get a cat, get two from the same litter (or adopt two kitties who already live together) so they already have a buddy to entertain them during the day (getting two kitties who don't know each other can be tough - a lot of time and energy goes into making a peaceful home when that's the case!). But ONLY get a cat if you reeeaaallly want one - indoor cats can live upwards of 19-20 years! :goodvibes

get a cat. you can domost everthing u can with a dog with less trouble. our cat even plays fetch and walks on a leash

omg, please tell me you're a vet :rotfl2:
either that, or you may have just earned one of the funniest tags ever

:lmao:

to OP, the courtyard may seem like a fortress to a human, but cats are masters of escape. all it takes is one interesting bird, squirrel, etc, & they wiil jump high enough to get out (unless the wall is at least 20 feet high, with no trees or other "climbing devices" near, or it is entirely enclosed including the top & not even a little opening anywhere along the ground). it's not that cats try to get away from their owner, but they are very curious & hunters by nature. we've adopted previously outdoor cats, & like pp said, they will try to get out for quite a while (you're best not giving them that "taste" of outdoors, imho).
the suggestion of 2 cats is great, also. they are less likely to get bored (as in seeing how far they can "flip" things off a table :sad2: ) ~ watching 2 cats play can be one of the funniest thing ever too!! :lmao: (just try to train them not to use drapery rods as a racetrack tho). and you get a furbaby for each lap in your house :lovestruc
i'm really excited for you & your DS....add a furbaby to your home, & you'll never understand how you got along without one! :)

To clarify -- the "yard" is interior to the building. It doesn't have a roof but is surrounded on all sides by a 4 story building, it's all one building so there are no cracks or gaps, and because the building has a basement parking garage there is no way to dig under it.

I think the issue giving them a "taste" of the outdoors is the big one -- if I move somewhere where this isn't an option, which I hope to do eventually to get into another school district when my son hits high school in 5 years, I don't want to end up with a miserable cat (or pair of cats).

ETA: I'm not considering letting the cat(s) outdoors alone, I'm considering taking him/her/them out for a half an hour or so with a human, most likely on a leash to prevent it from taking hours to get it to come back inside.

We're moving into an apartment that allows pets, and DS8 really really really wants a dog. He's been talking about it for a long time, and to be honest I think it would be great for him. However, I'm also pretty sure that us getting a dog wouldn't be fair to the animal. Here's my situation:

1) Single mom, one child, 2 bedroom apartment
2) Hoping to adopt a second baby, toddler or preschooler within the next few years.
3) I work long hours, DS is involved in a lot of sports etc . . . -- we're probably gone from home 7:45 till 7:00 most weekdays, I might be able to shave that a bit, but not much.
4) Money is an issue. I'm confident that I could afford food and regular vet care, but I have several friends whose dogs have had such separation anxiety that the neighbors complained and they had to put them in doggie daycare to avoid being evicted because of the noise. Doggie daycare is NOT in the budget on a regular basis. Maybe once a month if I'm staying late at work but not Monday through Friday.

DS talked me into looking through petfinders, and some of the older pets caught my eye -- 6 - 10 year old dogs who are described as sweet and gentle and are being rehomed because the owner moved to a nursing home or some such thing. Even then, though, they'd need to be exercised more than every 12 hours right?

I am really bad at letting DS talk me into things -- he's a little spoiled :rotfl: , and like I said I think that having a dog would be great for him (it was great for me as a kid), but I think I need to hold firm on this one -- don't I?

Our dog turns one today. We finally gave in to my daughter. We wish we wouldn't have. Dogs get into things just like kids do. They take time and money, too. It is a big responsibility. If we could go back in time, we never would've gotten one. The fun and newness has left for my kids. Now we have a lot of years of work. My kids are 13, 8, and 4. We have 2 cats also. It is so much harder to leave now and when we go somewhere we have to pay a lot to have the dog cared for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter