Taking Kids Out of School

You just never know if you will need to pull them out due to sickness. A bout with strep or the flu could have them out for days as well.

This is very true. You can also catch something in WDW (especially during flu season) and then if you pulled them out to go on the trip, you're looking at even more consecutive days missed when you come home and then have to recover. I know this because it happened to us...twice. Not fun!

I am also a teacher. I have students every year that take vacations during the school year. Some of them are just fine and some well, not so much. I think it would depend on what kind of student you have. I can take one of my kids out no problem, but one of my other children couldn't handle all the makeup work.

Make sure you check with your school district to find out if: 1) vacations count as unexcused absences or 2) there is a maximum on the number of absences a child can accumulate before penalties are applied. Especially if you are considering an extended absence of longer than a week for a vacation.

You have 2 kids in high school. Be sure they can miss that much work.

How does your 12th grader feel about this? Are they in AP classes? How will it affect their graduation?

A lot of parents here seem to feel that, once they get out of elementary school, it's really tough to pull them out of school. Also, what sort of extra curriculars are you children involved in? When is state testing?

As a teacher and mother of two- I say take them out and have a fantastic time as a family.
I would in a heartbeat.
I can't leave my job during the school year- and they need to learn why- but they have time to learn about that.
When the are young- seize the opportunity - there is so much to learn at wdw from social skills, geography, history, math- and it's fun.

Take them, the stuff they are learning at this point will not make or break careers choices in life. Yet the memories you make with them now they will have forever.

Take 'em out! If they're in elementary school they'll be fine. A week in Disney World will do more good than another week in school. They'll make up the work in no time!

I got taken out twice when I was a kid. They were the two best weeks of my life. And I only got held back once! ;)

This!! :thumbsup2

DW and I have been going to Wdw for thanksgiving for 20 years--- we stay until dec 6th or 7th

When our DD started school we worried about taking her out once she started 1st grade--- her teacher happened to be a disney fanatic and told us that she would learn more in "Epcot" a few days than she would in the 5 days of school that she would miss--- all this being said, if she wasn't doing well, no trip-- but it gives her incentive --- and we will never get these years back!

In elementary school, it's no problem pulling them out IME. We did it 3 times. No way could we do the same for middle or high school. Too many quizzes and tests missed, let alone the actual instruction and homework.

Take them, the stuff they are learning at this point will not make or break careers choices in life. Yet the memories you make with them now they will have forever.

Not sure I agree with this. With college admissions being what they are now and even the best of the best being on a razor's edge, dropping an A to a B can be a big risk that is not worth taking. In my daughter's classes, missing a full week would entail missing about 10 quizzes and 5 or 6 full tests. It's not a matter of catching up on some reading. 8th grade? No issue. 10th and 12th? I'd hate to think that the colleges my daughter is looking at would ding her because I decided that I had to go to WDW during her senior year. And if an A became a B, it could happen. Not saying this is cut and dried, but it isn't simply a matter of saying that Disney is great and everyone should go for it.

I know that this is mostly a question for their schools, but we are now thinking of going to WDW in February. Lighter crowds and less money. But it would mean taking the kids out of school on an extended absence. It would also mean they'd need to (probably) bring homework. (I went when I was in 9th grade [and my sister in 7th] and I had a week's worth of math to do before we went which I did in a day.)

Who else has taken their kids out of school? By the way, I should mention that my kids will be in grades 8, 10 and 12.

Even if it isn't an issue with your school as far as attendance is concerned (and you should check), I would caution you on taking kids this age out of school. I'm not saying it's "undoable", but do your homework before you commit to this.

Even if it isn't an issue with your school as far as attendance is concerned (and you should check), I would caution you on taking kids this age out of school. I'm not saying it's "undoable", but do your homework before you commit to this.

Are there really schools that won't let you take your kid out of school for a family vacation? I would never send my kid to a school like that... I do agree that 10th and 12th grade is risky- depends on your kids, if they are the type that will be on top of things before they leave then go for it. I know my parents took me out of school for plenty of vacations, family trips to Cubs games, etc. I never got a perfect attendance award at awards ceremonies- but who cares I still got plenty good enough grades :confused3

Are there really schools that won't let you take your kid out of school?

Not really a matter of "allow". But it could be considered an "unexcused absence" and a certain number of those can have ramifications. 5 in a single marking period could be an issue. Not uncommon.

I used to be one of those that would bet take their kids out of school for vacation. The last few times we have been to Disney we have always gone during their vacations. Now that I have a 5th grader, a 7th grader and an 11th grader, my feelings have changed.... It has dawned in me that I have three years left with my oldest son. Three years before he heads off to college. Will we go on vacations after that? Sure... But will it be the same? Probably not. I've decided to heck with it. I'm pulling them out this year for cheaper prices and lower crowds. Will they fall behind? Possibly.... But 20 years from now will we be saying, "I wish we hadn't taken that vacation.." If anything we will be wishing we had taken more. I've had close friends recently lost children... Teenagers.. In tragic and unexpected events. It has just made me change my opinion on things and makes we want to make even more memories with my kids. Time goes so fast... And we aren't guaranteed another day! Go on that vacation whenever you please and don't think twice about it!

I'll echo the others who said it depends on your child. We're pulling our 2 who will be in 5th & 3rd grades. We're going the week after labor day. I'm not concerned with what they'll be missing. The county fair is that week and they have 2 days off already, so they'll just miss the 3 days.

I've never been one to take my kids out of school for trips, but I certainly wouldn't take out my high schooler. DS just finished his freshman year and missed two days (not consecutive) because he was sick. At his school, if you miss a day of P.E., you have to go for 30 minutes during a lunch period and do a workout with one of the teachers. But you have to find out which days they lead the make-up workouts, which are not always the same days each week. If he missed a week, he would have to spend a week making up the workouts. One day he missed reciting a Spanish dialog and had to schedule a time with the teacher and his partner to make it up (not during class time). He missed the beginning of a new unit in his math class, and had to find someone he could copy the notes from. Most people who offered had really awful notes, so it took him a while to get some that he could actually read and understand. He missed a lab in his Honors Biology class and had to make it up, again not during class time. After missing just one day, it took him almost 2 weeks to get everything made up. No way would I take him out for a reason other than illness or an emergency.

Totally agree that it depends on the students. Obviously if they are low performing students, they shouldn't miss the time, but if they are good students, missing a week of school shouldn't be an issue. We always pull or kids for about 4 days, and because they are straight A students, we have no problems with their grades suffering.

I've taken ds out in elementary school, but I'd have a hard time taking out a middle schooler and high school students,. There is so much work to be made up.

Do they have a few days off that you can combine a trip with?

I used to be one of those that would bet take their kids out of school for vacation. The last few times we have been to Disney we have always gone during their vacations. Now that I have a 5th grader, a 7th grader and an 11th grader, my feelings have changed.... It has dawned in me that I have three years left with my oldest son. Three years before he heads off to college. Will we go on vacations after that? Sure... But will it be the same? Probably not. I've decided to heck with it. I'm pulling them out this year for cheaper prices and lower crowds. Will they fall behind? Possibly.... But 20 years from now will we be saying, "I wish we hadn't taken that vacation.." If anything we will be wishing we had taken more. I've had close friends recently lost children... Teenagers.. In tragic and unexpected events. It has just made me change my opinion on things and makes we want to make even more memories with my kids. Time goes so fast... And we aren't guaranteed another day! Go on that vacation whenever you please and don't think twice about it!

^^^This!!!

We really have such a short time with our children before they begin their own lives. I have a 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th grader, and I am pulling them out for 5-6 days in Jan for a trip. My 10th grader will be missing jazz band competition, a show choir competition, and school. Really, when they are teens, there is no good time to go and they will miss something. Do I really feel it will affect his grades, maybe a little. Will it ruin his life? For sure not. What is meant to be is meant to be. It is ONLY school. When did we all get so competitive, where every last point counted. Where every test, competition, every game, every practice is more important than family time?

And trust me, my kids would not want a disney vacation with me when it is hot, humid and crowded. They would have much more fun at school ;)

Not really a matter of "allow". But it could be considered an "unexcused absence" and a certain number of those can have ramifications. 5 in a single marking period could be an issue. Not uncommon.

Ah ic- the schools around us only give unexcused absences for unannounced vacations in high school- as long as you let them know five days in advance, then you are excused for vacations and they don't require documentation for "sick days" until you've had 6 or more "sick days" in a semester so even if you forgot to notify the school five days in advance you could just call the kid in sick for up to five days - I didn't realize there were schools that were so strict about absences.

We plan on doing it with my 8th grade son this coming February. He is a 3 sport athlete and the only time he could go other than summer is the 2 weeks after wrestling season and before track season. He is a straight A student so it will not be difficult for him to make up the work. Luckily our school provides every student a MacBook Air and 99% of class work and home work assignments are done through the computer. All we will need is an internet connection and he will be fine. I realize most people are not as lucky and have to lug books and paper with them.

Once he gets to high school then it will probably be a different situation. Much harder for the high school kids to make up their work and be caught up upon returning from vacation. (in my opinion)

But February is a great time to go. If you feel like your kids are able to handle doing the work load on their own, I say go for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter