Taking Kids Out of School

Are there really schools that won't let you take your kid out of school for a family vacation? I would never send my kid to a school like that...

Ah ic- the schools around us only give unexcused absences for unannounced vacations in high school- as long as you let them know five days in advance, then you are excused for vacations and they don't require documentation for "sick days" until you've had 6 or more "sick days" in a semester so even if you forgot to notify the school five days in advance you could just call the kid in sick for up to five days - I didn't realize there were schools that were so strict about absences.

In all California public schools, more than three unexcused tardies (30 minutes late) or three absences (or any combination of tardies and absences that totals three) constituent truancy. Absences for vacations are not and cannot be excused by parents.

Heck, out of state family funerals only rate three days of excused absences.

So if you would never send your kid to a school with that kind of policy, don't move to California, or be prepared to pay for private school.

http://www.fusd.net/students2/sarb.pdf

or be prepared to pay for private school.

Honestly... (and no offense is meant) but this is part of the reason we do send our daughter to a private school. She is gifted and ahead of public school curriculum, has been since pre-k so we send her to a school that has an advanced curriculum. I love her school. It is a great community and they are very willing to work with the parents. Students are allowed to miss 20 days before they flunk a grade (K-5). Any absences over a school year totaling 10 or more means a meeting with the teacher & principal... but they are very willing to schedule meetings with parents if absences are known about in advance. It also seems like most (if not all) families at my DD's school take their kids out for a vacation at one point in the school year. They have different rules for the 6-8 students because of the advanced curriculum, some of the 7th and 8th graders are earning AP credits!

I have taken my daughter out of school for a week long Disney vacation almost every year since she was 6. I will be taking her out of school again this Fall for a Disney Cruise/ Disney World vacation. She'll be in the 8th grade this year. Family time is extremely important to me. She has always been able to make up the missed work. It would be impossible for me to get time off from work during Christmas or Easter vacation because I don't have enough seniority, and I am not willing to go during the hot summer. The times when she would be off of school would also be PACKED at Disney, so sometimes you have to pull your kids out of school. They're your children, so nobody should be able to tell you what you can or can't do as far as pulling them out of school. ;)

THIS! :thumbsup2
You know we were at a friends place the other day and she had to sign off that her DS had completed some housework as part of his home work and I though wait WHAT? That's none of your business. Of course even my 2&4 year olds have chores but its not for the school to control that is up to me as the parent.

Funny thing is even in high school our school would even take us out of school for periods of time and they felt the experiences were making up for the other classwork. For example if you tool PE you went on a week long camp, if you took French you went to Noumea, they had a yearly ski trip, hell the hiking club went to Nepal for 3 weeks.

My Wife is a middle school teacher who already has said we'll be taking our son out of school for future vacations. Her recommendation is to do it the week before they have a scheduled school break, so when you return from WDW, the kids have a week to do all their makeup work.

I can see this not flying with a lot of districts.

1. in essence kid has 2 weeks off
2. a lot of tests are given the week before a break.
3. you can go during that break a week away.

As we all get older, reflecting back on our lives with our families, maybe missing our kids who've got their own families now and busy lives, I don't imagine anyone will be saying, "Gee, I wish we had taken less family vacations and spent less family time together. We have too many memories from too much time spent together! Or, "Gosh, we might not have many of those silly ole family memories we could have made but, gee, didn't the kids do good in school!

Once the time has passed, it's gone forever, we really can't make up time missed with our kids once they are grown up and finally out of school. Time spent together, makin' memories, is one of the most precious things we can do for our families!

*No disrespect meant to any posters. I realize there are many variables on families being able to vacation together, and choosing what is best for their family.

I'm a teacher too and this is the part where I am supposed to tell you that their education is being interrupted and blah blah blah...TAKE THEM! You never get this time back and I promise you the memories you make on your vacation will outlast ANY being made in a math or history class!

I used to be one of those that would bet take their kids out of school for vacation. The last few times we have been to Disney we have always gone during their vacations. Now that I have a 5th grader, a 7th grader and an 11th grader, my feelings have changed.... It has dawned in me that I have three years left with my oldest son. Three years before he heads off to college. Will we go on vacations after that? Sure... But will it be the same? Probably not. I've decided to heck with it. I'm pulling them out this year for cheaper prices and lower crowds. Will they fall behind? Possibly.... But 20 years from now will we be saying, "I wish we hadn't taken that vacation.." If anything we will be wishing we had taken more. I've had close friends recently lost children... Teenagers.. In tragic and unexpected events. It has just made me change my opinion on things and makes we want to make even more memories with my kids. Time goes so fast... And we aren't guaranteed another day! Go on that vacation whenever you please and don't think twice about it!

In all California public schools, more than three unexcused tardies (30 minutes late) or three absences (or any combination of tardies and absences that totals three) constituent truancy. Absences for vacations are not and cannot be excused by parents. Heck, out of state family funerals only rate three days of excused absences. So if you would never send your kid to a school with that kind of policy, don't move to California, or be prepared to pay for private school. http://www.fusd.net/students2/sarb.pdf
One of many reasons I would never live in california! Like pp said I would probably pay for private school- I have family in California and they all go to private school

School districts are out of control. The only real reason they have these "unexcused" absence policies is because their funding gets dinged. They couldn't care less about the kids -- just the money.

Know where your kids are academically to be sure they will be ok, confide in the teacher (if trustworthy, as most are), and write a note saying they were sick. I live in California and I can assure you that I do not allow any school official tell me what I can or can not do with my child ....EVER!

Most school officials will back down, if you are firm. They love to make rules and just hope parents are too meek to challenge then. ...I am not that parent. :rotfl2:

For what it's worth, I don't think anyone is saying "Don't take a vacation." or "Don't go to WDW." No one is against buidling memories or sharing family time.

Some are saying that, since you asked, their opinions are that the vacation might be better timed to coincide with a school vacation.

In the end, they're your kids... do as you think best.

We have taken our son out of school for trips to wdw when he was 8,10 and 15 without any problems from our school district as long as they were notified ahead of time. All work had to be complete and turned within the week they returned. Our next trip will be when he graduates next year. To the op, I see your looking at going in February. School districts in the New England area have either the second or third week off and many families head down to Disney around that time. Just check easywdws crowd calendar for the week your going. This past Feb I think the third week had a crowd level around 6-8. Not sure if other areas of the country have time off in February.

I know this is a hot button topic, so I'm going to answer without reading everyone else's replies. We have taken my DD out of school for a few days at a time to make a one week trip out of a three or four day weekend. That was back in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade.
I personally won't do it anymore, but that's because my daughter struggles to be an average student. I think missing days would be tough for her.
If she were a strong student and was ok with missing class, i would have no problem continuing to take her out of class.

School districts are out of control. The only real reason they have these "unexcused" absence policies is because their funding gets dinged. They couldn't care less about the kids -- just the money.

Know where your kids are academically to be sure they will be ok, confide in the teacher (if trustworthy, as most are), and write a note saying they were sick. I live in California and I can assure you that I do not allow any school official tell me what I can or can not do with my child ....EVER!

Most school officials will back down, if you are firm. They love to make rules and just hope parents are too meek to challenge then. ...I am not that parent. :rotfl2:

Of course it's about the money. If every kid in the district took a week off for vacation, it would be a financial disaster & they'd probably have to eliminate multiple jobs to cover the shortfall.

And then people wonder why the district is doing fund raisers & asking for tax increases..........

Look, respect is a 2-way street. People expect the schools to bend to their personal wishes & schedules. The least we as parents can do is be a little understanding as to WHY that's not easy for the schools.

I am a first grade teacher & a mother. I took my son out for a week when he was in first grade. I let his teacher know way ahead of time and asked for a packet of work that he would be missing to be sent home the weekend before we left. I worked with him at home that whole week. I didn't want him to miss out on important instruction, so I had to "fill in the gaps".
Now, with that being said, we made life-long family memories on our trip. I do believe that there are things in life that should never be taken for granted. My husband and I always find ourselves saying, "They'll only be _ once" They'll only be 7 years old, 8 years old,,,,,so on and so on. We all love Disney and these moments are the ones I live for!

I take my daughter out of school every year. She will be a Junior in the fall and has carried a 4.0 gpa for the last 5 years. Her school is on a Day A, Day B schedule so I can pull her out for 4 days and the most she will miss is 2 of each of her 8 classes. Our experience has always been very positive and the teachers know she will make sure she completes all assignments, tests, etc. immediately upon returning from vacation. (Benefit of a school with only 250 students)

Normally we schedule our Disney trip the 3rd week in October when she has a Thursday & Friday off, then we can go for an entire week and she only misses 3 days of school. Our dog sitter planned a trip for the same week this year, so we have to improvise. Instead, I've scheduled our trip to coincide with the start of the 2nd quarter, since most exams and big deadlines will be the days leading up to the last day of the quarter, which is on a Tuesday.

We will fly out Monday night after school/work, she will miss the last day of the quarter and first 3 days of the new quarter.

Are there really schools that won't let you take your kid out of school for a family vacation? I would never send my kid to a school like that... I do agree that 10th and 12th grade is risky- depends on your kids, if they are the type that will be on top of things before they leave then go for it. I know my parents took me out of school for plenty of vacations, family trips to Cubs games, etc. I never got a perfect attendance award at awards ceremonies- but who cares I still got plenty good enough grades :confused3

States have laws about school absences. It depends on the state as well as the school.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Honestly I don't have a firm opinion on pulling kids for vacation. I can see both sides. For us, since Disney can be scheduled during school breaks, that's what we do. It may be more expensive and more crowded, but it is doable. I might think differently about a trip that could not be done during breaks for some reason.

But for anyone who is interested in the rather off topic discussion, here's more on CA truancy laws: https://oag.ca.gov/truancy I am sure funding plays into it as well, but they have some hard numbers on kids missing school and the long term consequences. Now, I'm not saying that's how it would play out for any individual child, but in the aggregate school attendance is important. As far as I know every state has some form of truancy law, the question is how strict is it. CA's is pretty strict and the link gives an explanation of the law and the reasons for it.

Now that dd is getting older, I don't feel it's right to pull her out. We loved going at the less crowded times, but I feel too guilty to do it now! Especially since her work load is getting heavier.

We go during the summer now, and build just as wonderful memories as we did in the less crowded times. At our school, vacations are unexcused absences and they will not give work to take along, you have to wait until they return to get the work. I also worry because an illness can easily knock out a week of school and you just never know, they could take a week off for vaca, get sick a week later and have to take another week off.

I know plenty of parents at our school do pull kids out for vaca and it all works out fine, I just feel for us it's better not to.

As a high school teacher, I have mixed emotions. I understand that for some families, the school year may be the only time they can take a vacation. I am more than willing to work with a family to keep the child up to date during the absence. However, for many classes such as AP and dual credit, missing class for an extended period of time can be devastating. In addition, states are now requiring passing end of course assessments in order to receive credit for a class. You may be putting an undue burden on your child in terms of being successful on these exams.

Of course it's about the money. If every kid in the district took a week off for vacation, it would be a financial disaster & they'd probably have to eliminate multiple jobs to cover the shortfall.

And then people wonder why the district is doing fund raisers & asking for tax increases..........
Amen! of course it's about the money. There are many many districts in this country that *rely* on that money to be able to provide an adequate education..I'm not just talking about teacher salaries, but supplies. The district I first worked in as a teacher, my budget for the *year*? $175. I saw every child in the school, K-5, and all I had was $175 to provide a year's worth of supplies to all 400+ of them. Needless to say, I spent a LOT of my own personal money when I worked there. And it's not like I had a large salary either.

Look, respect is a 2-way street. People expect the schools to bend to their personal wishes & schedules. The least we as parents can do is be a little understanding as to WHY that's not easy for the schools.

Exactly! I don't have an issue with people taking their kids out of school. Your kids, your decision. That said, schools have a policy as to how they handle that. Know what your school's policy is, and be prepared to accept it.

For example, in that same school district, I was not *allowed* to give work ahead of time for a student who would be out. I get that that is frustrating to parents, but there are rules that teachers have to follow too, so don't get upset with the teacher if they say they can't do something.

If they are allowed to give you work ahead of time, be kind in acknowledging that it is a decent amount of work to put together whatever packets of work you may get to take with you on vacation. Make sure your kids actually do the work that the teacher took the time to put together for you. It may not be fun to do homework on vacation, but if you're going to ask that the teacher take the time to provide the work then show respect for the teacher by having it done when the student returns to class. If you know before your trip that you're not going to get the homework done while you're gone, then don't ask for it in the first place.

I did this twice when the kids were in elementary school without any issue. Our last trip, DD was is 6th grade and DS 4th grade, and making up the work was quite challenging. DD's school would not give any work ahead of time so she had to scramble to get the rest done afterwards and she found it a bit stressful. That being said, there were no long term effects so I will probably choose to pull them again, but I may try to work around a holiday weekend so they only miss 3-4 days of school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter