Take our three year old to the world or put it off a year?

My 3 year old gets the bad end of the deal most days because two infants are TOUGH! The babies are staying at grandma and grandpa's house this go around so she can have our much deserved, undivided attention. We'll go again when the babies are 3 ish and Emerson is 5.5.

I guess we feel like it's our get away too and want to stay somewhere nice. My H was all about the GF. I'll check out some of the other resorts. When I inquired about resorts in the beginning on DIS everyone said a monorail resort was a must with a younger kiddo. Thank you so much for all the great advice!

The Contemporary and the Grand Floridian are wonderful. Wilderness Lodge is, too. I hope your trip is as magical and wonderful as can be, for you, your DH, and your little girl. Sprinkling all the pixie dust I can muster pixiedust: Best wishes!

We have been planning to take our 3.5 year old daughter to the world for our first trip at the end of November/first week of December.

I am having second thoughts. After it's said and done, the trip is going to cost us about six thousand dollars. My worry is that she isn't old or mature enough to really enjoy it. She tires very easily after running a half day of errands with me.

Spending this kind of money, I want her to be mature enough to really enjoy herself without getting grumpy and making us all miserable. I am/was planning on naps every afternoon after lunch.

My question is for those of you who have gone with older toddlers. Were you glad you did it? Was it was worth the money or do you wish you would have waited another year to get the full impact, enjoyment and your money's worth out of it?

Thank you so much for your input....I'm really struggling with if we should go now or put it off another year until she is 4.5 years old.

I know for a fact my daughter who will be almost 2 is going to love WDW when we go in October. She screams Mouse and Minie when we watch Mickeys Clubhouse! She requests Fantasia and The Princess and the Frog every other night. :rotfl:

I would personally wait if I were in your shoes. My reason: FANTASYLAND EXPANSION! Another year is another growth spurt. Another year to save and plan.

We took DD right after she turned 3 and she did great...BUT...she is really easy going and go with the flow. She was fine with not taking a nap all day. She could have walked all day with out an issue etc. If you are concerned about how she will do and how much fun she would have then I would wait another year.

I think it depends on the child. We took the boys to Tokyo Disneyland last year when the eldest had just turned 3 and the youngest (now middle child) was 16 months. The 3 year old (now 4) remembers it and talks about specific things, but he really didn't get overly excited. BUT, he doesn't really do excitement at all about anything! He's a very practical, logical child and a bit of a smarty too. The 16 month old (now 2.5) never mentions anything specific about the trip so I don't know if he remembers it at all, but the look on his face while we were there will never EVER be forgotten by me or my DH. He is definitely our Disney baby and totally gets and feels the magic :)

Basically if I had my time again, I'd probably NOT take my oldest as a 3 year old, but I'd LOVE to take my middle child as a 3 year old :)

My 3 year old gets the bad end of the deal most days because two infants are TOUGH! The babies are staying at grandma and grandpa's house this go around so she can have our much deserved, undivided attention. We'll go again when the babies are 3 ish and Emerson is 5.5.

I guess we feel like it's our get away too and want to stay somewhere nice. My H was all about the GF. I'll check out some of the other resorts. When I inquired about resorts in the beginning on DIS everyone said a monorail resort was a must with a younger kiddo. Thank you so much for all the great advice!
We have been going to WDW since our kids were 2, 3, 4 and 7 and we have never stayed at a monorail resort with them - it is NOT a necessity at all. In fact, now that the kids are older they choose to be at the value resorts. The Poly is my absolute favorite resort and the kids have been there many times for dinners and shows, but they still pick All-Star Movies over The Poly. You don't have to stay at a deluxe resort or spend a forture to have a magical, wonderful Disney vacation. There will most likely be a free dining discount in December, as there has been the last 3 years. The three of you could stay at a value resort with a free dining discount for about $1,800 plus airfare and your family would have just as magical of a trip as staying at The Contemporary and spending $6,000.00.

Our youngest has been at 8 months, we went twice when he was 2, he celebrated his 3rd birthday there and we will celebrate his 4th birthday there next month. He LOVES it - and has every trip. Even at 8 months, he loved the characters and being on the rides. I think age three is so magical. Our oldest was 3 the first time we took him and he had the best time. Both our boys talk about Disney, and ask to go back constantly.

I think your daughter (and family) would have a magical time. Go! Go! Go!!!

I think you answered your own question..if your priority is that she remember it, chances are she won't and you should save your money...
That said, we brought our twins for the first time at 14 months and we had a BLAST. Frankly I don't care whether they remembered it or not...we couldn't think of a more family friendly place to go...we went slow, we took our time, we took breaks and all of that...at the end of the day, they are memories my husband and I will always cherish. Fast forward in time...my twins will be 9 in August and our youngest is 6.5. We will be taking our sixth or seventh trip in about a month...every age is different, every trip magical in its own way...even every child is different..what my twins loved and love is definitely different than what my youngest loves...and that's ok....Disney has something for everyone...you have to adjust your expectations to your child's speed and if you are at peace and real about that then it should be great. If you spend a half a day in the park and your child naps and then you spend half the day at a pool but you are all happy and enjoy each other so what? If that is our speed right now, go with it because that child will never be 3 again...just whatever you do, take lots of pictures...and then take some more...but if you are going to be resentful or cranky if you don't feel you are getting your moneys worth or whatever if your child can only do a half day in a park then stay home and wait until her speed and your speed are more compatible, kwim? Good luck.

We took Chaeli for her 3rd birthday last year and we had a blast! It was such an awesome age and she truly loved it there. I would say go for it!

It really is up to you when you take your daughter. Is this going to be your only trip? If so, then you might want to wait a year. If you plan to return at some point, then this might be a great year to take her! We are taking DD 16 months for her first trip in 24 days and I KNOW she will have a blast. I might not get to ride every roller coaster (though I might!) and I am fully prepared to have to go back to the resort for a nap every day...but that stuff is the little details. I get to see her face as she sees the castle, hear her squeal when she hears the hot dog dance song and watch her reaction when she meets Mickey Mouse. Those are the things that are exciting for her in this trip and I'm excited to watch them happen and see how she experiences WDW (and also how DS 7 experiences things...and that will be a whole other bag of chips!).

As for the trip costing $6000...that is about what our trip will be costing when all is said and done. We got a GREAT deal on a value resort ($69/night S-THurs., $82 Fri/Sat we are staying 15 nights) basic DDP, 1 day base ticket (but have to upgrade to 8 days wpfm tickets). Our hotel/DDP/Ticket cost was @ $2700. Our flights were $1069 (we live in North-Western Canada so that was a great deal). We have a Garden Grocer order that cost $140 that included diapers, wipes, milk and foods for my 1 yr old DD. We also have a 5-day car rental because we plan to spend 4 days off Disney property and we will be visiting Sea World, USIOA and John Kennedy Space Centre, as well as a day at the beach. Once you add souvenirs, tips, tolls and misc. expenses I'm sure we will be around the $6000 mark (though hopefully less).

OP--good luck with your decision, and have fun!

If your next trip would be years and years away, then I'd wait a year. If you're planning on going again fairly soon, then I'd go. I've done three trips with three year olds involved. The first one we did due to meeting up with family - otherwise I wouldn't have attempted it. We had a 2 month old and barely 3 year old. It was tough - and the 2 month old was not the tough part. It was the 3 year old. So, we did what any Disney fan would do and came back again, 6 months later. That time, our trip went MUCH better. The challenge was still the 3.5 year old, but we knew how to manage it better and those few extra months helped immensly. Our next trip was three years later - with an 11 month old, 3.5 year old, and 6.5 year old. That was a different 3 year old and she did great - but again, the 3 year old was the most difficult one of our crew. We're going back soon, but no 3 year olds in the group this time - though there's a 2.5 year old so that might be a challenge.

I figure that it's worth the challenge- as long as we're coming back. Plus, it's not an expensive trip for us. We usually get free hotel (Swan/Dolphin with credit card points) and always drive down. (Though we paid for a resort this time). We do a 10 day never expires ticket and break it up on more than one trip. We have a car making meals cheaper too. There are other trips we would like to do with the kids, but they're much more expensive - like 5K or more. We're waiting on those since we know those will be once-in-a-childhood trips.

Our almost five year old still talks about things we don't remember about the trip when he was 2(until he reminds us)!! ie-the leaves and bubbles falling during the playhouse disney show.

It's totally up to you, but if you're worried about your child not having fun....I wouldn't. Even if they don't remember all of it, you will and it's the kind of fun that will last a lifetime.

I took my 3 year old DD (and her 1.5 y/o lil bro) last December and she still talks about it ALL. THE. TIME. No regrets here. There's so much magic at any age but I personally feel like the wonder and awe from a preschooler is so special and it only lasts a short time.

The only benefit I see to waiting one more year is that your DD may or may not quite be at the 40" to get on some bigger kid rides. My DD was tall enough (just barely) and it added some extra excitement that she could go on a few mini thrill rides that her lil bro couldn't. Of course if you have a tall girlie then I have no idea what the benefit to waiting would be. Just my opinion.

It will be magic no matter what you decide. :lovestruc

I think it all depends on the child. My youngest was 3 1/2 when we went and he never even got out of the stroller:rotfl2: All he did was get pushed around by my dh while me and the girls went on all the rides. That was just the kind of kid he was...very shy, very nervous. All he remembers from the trip is eating pretzels in the stroller! On the other hand, we went when my oldest was 2 1/2 and she had a blast. All she wanted to do was meet the characters and go on a ride once in a while.

Look at my signature, DD has been to Disney 9 times, will be going on her 10th trip in September and will turn 3 in October. We were VERY nervous when we took her on her first trip at 7 mos old, but, it turned out to be such a great trip, that while were there, we added 2 extra days. I know she won't remember that trip, but, DH and I have such wonderful memories of her first trip. My favorite photo of her is from that trip, we had just asked her if she loved Disney and she gave us such a beautiful smile. That photo is on my desk at work and everyone loves and comments on it. We also enlarged and framed it and it's on our living room at home. If we had not taken that trip, we would not have that photo. I do agree with the others, if you are feeling guilty with the amount of $$ you are spending, downgrade. If been close to the MK is important to you, try the Wilderness Lodge, it's only a 5 minute boat ride to MK and it's way less $$ than what you are paying at the Contemporary. It's a beautiful hotel, with nice restaurants, great food court and filled with amenities that your kids will love. I personally would stay at POP (and have, many times) than cancel a trip to Disney in order to create more wonderful memories with my DD.

:cloud9:

I say take her! We took our DS when he was 3 1/2. It was September so it was really hot but he did great and LOVED it! He still talks about the hotel we stayed in (CR) and the pool even though we have been back since! I would highly recommend you stick to your plans for nap/rest times but also bring a stroller. My DS didn't nap anymore at that time but we took advantage of rest time at the resort. Have a great time and enjoy!

It's sort of funny that I noticed this topic today, since this morning my six year old was looking at pictures from our trip when he was 3 and telling us what he remembered about that trip.

We took our DS the first time when he was 2.5. He had a great time, but he doesn't remember anything from that trip at all. We stayed at the Boardwalk, because we like Epcot best and we like to walk there for dinner. (We also like to be able to walk to DHS, although its our least favorite park.) That first trip was a week long, which is really longer than DS needed. He was scared of the characters, would not go on any ride that looked at all frightening to him (which included Dumbo), but he loved the pool and went swimming every day. He had a very good time, and it was a fun trip, but quite honestly, it was for us as much or more than for him at that age.

We made the next trip about 9 months later, and stayed at the Grand Floridian. We knew we wanted to stay at a monorail hotel for Magic Kingdom access that trip, and the GF appealed to us most. This was a shorter trip to WDW, just 4 days, because we also spent 4 days at a resort on the Alabama coast. Our son loved this trip, and still remembers it and talks about it. He still didn't love the characters or a lot of the rides that seemed scary to him, but we had a good sense of what he would and wouldn't enjoy at this point, and didn't push him to try things we knew would stress him.

The second trip (when he was just shy of 3.5) was good enough that we knew we were going to be visiting WDW pretty much every year, sometimes twice a year, and so we finally bought DVC. We'd been considering it for a while, since DH and I both enjoy WDW, but we'd switched to doing cruises when DS was really little because cruises just seemed like easier and more relaxing vacations with a baby.

I agree with the people who say that if you're only likely to make one trip in the next few years, you might want to wait a year. 3.5 is a good age for a trip to WDW, but a child is likely to get more out of it a little older. If you think you might do one trip now and another in two or three years, I'd say go ahead and do it.

As far as the money goes, $6000 is a lot of money. Don't get me wrong, we always stayed at deluxe resorts club level before we bought DVC, but we always got some sort of deal that made the prices a little less insane. (We got a "buy x nights, get y nights free" deal one year, free dining a couple of years, and straight discount codes sometimes.) We didn't go when we couldn't find some sort of discount, but we were flexible about when we traveled, and eventually always found a discount. (I know there are people who love the values and moderates, but quite honestly, for us since we could afford it, it's been all about location, location, location, particularly with young children.) When we actually purchased DVC, we did it because we were pricing another many thousand dollars vacation and realized we could buy DVC for not much more.

The only people who can decide if the expense is worth it are you and DH. You will have a good time if you go, but you can also have a good time if you find a less expensive vacation. (Our DS loves to cruise, as it turns out, and we can often cruise for a lot less money than it takes to go to WDW.)

Good luck with your decision!

We took our 3.5 yr old son and 24 month old daughter in May and it wasn't the easiest trip. They both still napped and both refused to sleep in the stroller. We were staying off site which was a bad decision and they both fell apart on day 3, and it was a hot hot week which made things harder. We had fun but it would have been easier for our family if we had waited a year till everyone was older.

It would have been a lot easier if we just had the 3.5 yr old so I totally understand if you want to leave the twins at home with the grandparents. The grandparents will love spending time with them and they are too young to under stand.

If it's a once in lifetime trip, I would say wait till 4.5 and more endurance, no naps and tantrums over (however, it's going to be harder to leave the twins at home at 2 then at 9 months). If it's a trip for you and DH to have a nice vacation which you deserve after twins, treat yourselves and your DD to some quality time then definitely GO. Your daughter will love it and it will be a fantastic vacation for all of you.

If you are 2nd guessing spending the money now, if things do not go as planned you will be even more upset during and after the trip.

Looking at your signature you have 9 month old twins. If it would be me I would be waiting a year and having a great time with the entire family.

We took our DS to DL when he turned 5 and left DD1 at home with Grandma. While we had a fabulous time, I really regretted that we waited until he was 5. He loved all the rides (especially Space Mountain) but the trip was not as magical as I had hoped. He was simply too old to be mesmerized by the characters.

We are going as a family next year. DD will have just turned 4. I'm hoping it will be the magical vacation I've always dreamed of!

So, to answer your original post - yes, yes, yes! Go! Go! Go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter