• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Table for 2 - A couple of big kids explore Disney (W/ pics) COMPLETED 9/18!

burberryplaid

<font color=darkorange>Addicted to SOARIN's Orange
Hello!

Welcome to our post trip dining reviews with pictures! We visited the World 9/3-9/10 2007 with Free Dining

We will be doing reviews for:

Table Service
Whispering Canyon (dinner and breakfast)
50's Prime Time Cafe
Kona Cafe
Le Cellier
Crystal Palace (Breakfast)
Rose and Crown
Jiko

Counter Service
Roaring Fork (Day 1 Day 7 )
Toluca Turkey Legs Co
Captain Cooks Snack Company (breakfast)
Columbia Harbor House
Sunshine Seasons ( Day 4 Day 6 )
Earl of Sandwich

Your hosts on this expedition are myself, Stephanie. I'm 32 and I love food! This was my first ever visit to the World!

My partner in crime is my DH Bill, also 32. He also shares my passion for food. This is his first trip to the world as an adult.

We both like good quality, flavorful food. It doesn't have to be fancy, just good. We enjoy a good hot dog or hamburger as much as a good steak.

With the introductions complete..let's get right to the reviews. Up first is Roaring Fork and Whispering Canyon Cafe....

Roaring Fork - Counter Service

We arrived at Wilderness Lodge around 2 PM and we were starving as we hadn't had anything substantial to eat that day. We had an ADR at Whispering Canyon a bit later in the evening, so we decided to go to Roaring Fork and have a counter service meal.

I ordered the Ham and Tillamook Cheddar on Whole-Grain Mustard Rye which came with a small serving of pasta salad. For dessert I got a chocolate dipped rice krispie treat.
dis9.jpg

The sandwich was cut from a big round, that looked like a muffaletta. It was very tasty. The pasta salad was ok, very light and full of veggies like carrots and roasted squash. I didn't try the rice krispie treat right away, but it was delicious! I've had rice krispie treats before, but this was particularly yummy for some reason..must be Disney magic!

DH ordered chicken strips with fries and also got a chocolate dipped rice krispie treat.

dis10.jpg

These were also yummy. They were made to order, so they were nice and fresh. The chicken appeared to be all white meat. The fries were also good. You could tell they weren't pre-made fries.

Dinner was at Whispering Canyon Cafe. I was a little nervous because WCC has gotten some bad reviews lately, but we decided to chance it. We arrived about 20 minutes early and were seated within 10 minutes. Our waitress, Heda Lettuce was extremely friendly! She took our order and then brought us our drinks and about 8 straws! (None of them fell on the floor..thank goodness!) She refilled our drinks without being asked through out the meal, and was wonderful in general. She wasn't over the top in any manner and was very attentive. She also interacted with us through out the meal, along with the manager who asked where we were from and egged Hedda on. Being adults without kids, I'm sure we weren't harassed as much as we could have been..we were able to just soak up the atmosphere around us.

On to the food..we decided to both get the skillet. Our only appetizer option was the salad. It was good..nice and fresh, but DH and I don't care for vinigrette too much, so it wasn't our favorite part of the meal. It was acceptable though

dis18.jpg

The skillet came next and included: fresh baked cornbread with mashed potatoes, coleslaw, cowboy beans, corn on the cob.
Smoked pork ribs, pulled pork, oven-roasted chicken, and Peel-n-Eat shrimp

dis19.jpg

Everything was good. Neither of us like coleslaw, so we can't comment on that. We both really liked the mashed potatoes which were served country style with skins included. They were buttery and fluffy (but not too buttery) The cowboy beans were ok, but being from Boston we prefer baked beans which have a different kind of sauce to them. The corn was good, but we could tell it wasn't fresh. The ribs were ok, but we like them a bit more saucey. The chicken was good, nice and moist inside, despite having an extra dry skin. The shrimp was good, but I like shrimp that is already peeled (I'm lazy) so DH enjoyed most of those.

When we were asked if we wanted more, we only got pulled pork and potatoes and were happy with those.

Lastly came dessert

I got the very rich S'mores cheesecake

dis21.jpg

It was yummy, but a little too rich for me and it didn't taste much like S'mores. It was good though.

DH got the cinnamon vanilla tortilla (or as Heda called it, the Cinnamon Vanilla dustbowl)
dis20.jpg

This was very yummy. The tortilla had a nice, sweet crunch and the bananas and caramel were perfectly matched with the vanilla ice cream.

Overall, we really enjoyed dinner at WCC and would go back again.

Coming Up: Lunch at Toluca Turkey Legs Co. and Dinner at 50's Prime Time.. stay tuned and thanks for reading so far!!

My boyfriend and I love WCC! I haven't seen any of the negative reviews, but I think that regardless of the restaurant there is always good reviews and bad reviews.

As for the cheesecake there... You are right, it doesn't taste like Smores... but it is really good! I think it's "Smores" because its got marshmellows and chocolate topping and a graham cracker crust. But I never had a smore with cheese in it! ;)

I'm tuning in. Thanks for sharing! :goodvibes

I can't wait to hear about Rose & Crown. I've read some mixed reviews lately and am considering it for my next trip. Awesome review for WCC by the way. All the reviews I've read lately have raved about the staff. WCC is on my to do list for next year's trip, because everyone says it's so fun!

Good morning!

I'm happy to see so many people here already...can't wait to share more!

Yummmmmmmmmm!!!!! Thanks so much for the great review! Can't wait to see more! :)
Thanks for visiting..more is on the way! :)

Great start !!
Did you know Hedda Lettuce is a DISer ? :cool1:
Thank you and no, I didn't know she was a DISer..that's awesome!!

Can't wait for more!!!!!
Thanks for visiting..part 2 is on the way! :)

I'm in! I'm looking forward to more yummy pictures!
Happy to have you here..more on the way shortly!

My boyfriend and I love WCC! I haven't seen any of the negative reviews, but I think that regardless of the restaurant there is always good reviews and bad reviews.

As for the cheesecake there... You are right, it doesn't taste like Smores... but it is really good! I think it's "Smores" because its got marshmellows and chocolate topping and a graham cracker crust. But I never had a smore with cheese in it! ;)
Happy to have you..and we really loved WCC too. I think some couples may be afraid of it, but it wasn't bad at all and we are shy people. so for us to recommend it, you know it has to be tolerable!

And I never even thought of it, but you're right, a proper S'more does not have cheese in it! :rotfl:

Great review and pictures! I can't wait for more!:thumbsup2
Thanks for stopping in..more on the way!

Hey thats me!!!

Burberry plaid, I'm glad you had a good dinner.
How cool is this?!! I'm so glad you came by and visited! We adored you! Thanks for making our 1st night memorable!

I'm tuning in. Thanks for sharing! :goodvibes

I can't wait to hear about Rose & Crown. I've read some mixed reviews lately and am considering it for my next trip. Awesome review for WCC by the way. All the reviews I've read lately have raved about the staff. WCC is on my to do list for next year's trip, because everyone says it's so fun!
Thanks for tuning in, and I say definitely give WCC a try next time. It was very fun!

Subscribing!! :cool1:
Glad to have you!

Thank you!

Now with all the greetings done for now..Part 2 of our review will begin....

Day 2 was our first day out at the parks and based on my research, we decided to start at MGM. We brought breakfast stuff with us to have in the room, so we didn't have lunch until around 11 or 11:30. Based on an episode of the Food Network show Unwrapped we decided to try a turkey leg

dis36.jpg

As part of the dining plan, we got a turkey leg, a bag of chips, and a large drink.

We bit into the legs only to find the meat was red. I think this is how they are supposed to be, because they appeared to be cooked, but still it wasn't appetizing. We both ate some of it, but needless to say, we were disappointed and we won't be having turkey legs again. At least the chips were good!

After our nap, we returned to MGM for our 6:30 ADR at 50's Prime Time. DH had eaten here as a kid, and I was excited to try it, again, because of an episode of Unwrapped that highlighted it.

dis40.jpg

The atmosphere was wonderful. It was just like a 50's style home. The old style TV's played clips of 50's TV shows that we watched while we waited for our table.

dis41.jpg

dis42.jpg

We got there about 20 minutes early and waited about 10-15 minutes for our table. In that time, we saw about 3-4 people without ADRs turned away. The main reason, in my opinion, is because this is not a big place at all.

Cousin Joey was our waiter, who was very attentive despite being very busy. The first thing he had us do was sign a birthday card for one of our cousins who was having a birthday. It's very strange to be signing a card for someone you don't know, but we went with it anyhow.

DH started off with a Caesar Salad and I got the shrimp cocktail

dis43.jpg

dis44.jpg

The salad was good..a very typical Caesar salad. DH's only complaint was that the croutons were a bit too hard.

My shrimp cocktail was good. I got 6 decent sized, ready to eat shrimp. The cocktail sauce was sweet and tangy, a pretty typical sauce.

Next came dinner. DH had the meatloaf and I had the pot roast.

dis45.jpg

dis46.jpg

DH loved the meatloaf. I thought it was ok. I am not a fan of Ketchup on my meatloaf, and that's not the sauce I use when I make it, but it wasn't bad. The potatoes were good, but we prefer the country style potatoes at WCC. The green beans were good, nice and crisp. DH ate these first, as we had been warned by cousin Joey that we had to ear out vegetables. DH didn't want to chance it! :rotfl:

My pot roast was delicious. It came pre-shredded with the carrots and onions mixed in and the potatoes underneath. It was tender and flavorful. Again, the potatoes were good, but we prefer the WCC potatoes.

Between the skillet the night before and the turkey leg at lunch, I was on meat overload! I ate as much of the pot roast as I could, but I still had some left so Cousin Joey got out the airplane and made me have one last bite! DH enjoyed that quite a bit! :rotfl:

Dessert for me was S'mores (I'm a S'mores addict, what can I say?!)

dis48.jpg

These were delicious! The chocolate was nice and melty. The marshmallows were just how I like them, a little charred to give a little crunch. It is a simple dessert, that is very enjoyable.

DH got a chocolate sundae

dis49.jpg

Again, a simple dessert but yummy none the less.

Coming up - Day 3...Tonga Toast at Captain Cook's, Columbia Harbor House, and Kona Cafe

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter