• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TA or Not TA

I am wondering about people's experiences using travel agents. I've done both, but historically have been frustrated with the TA experience because I can't get in online and mess around with my booking. What are your experiences?
I guess it is a little bit of personal preference, some people just have to be hands on.
DW and I work full time, no way we have time to wait on hold to do things.
In a Travel Agent we got an expert for free.
She waited on hold and booked the cruise.
She knew where to find the best price on air fare and took the time to book it.
She knew where to find the best price on hotels and booked it.
She knew the best transfer opens and booked it.

We wrote the check and enjoyed the cruise.

We talked to a TA at AAA and he quoted us a price that was exactly the same as I saw when I looked online myself. There was no incentive to book with him, so I did it myself through Costco for the gift card.

I'd never booked a cruise before, and there were some questions I had throughout the process, but really I found all my answers here and through similar resources.

I'm kind of a DIY vacationer, anyway. I have to look at every possible option before I go with my first instinct anyway - I'd probably drive a TA insane!

matter of personal preference

never saw the value or need for a TA in all of years of extensive travel and travel for work via world tours

but we booked this past year our wedding cruise for us and all of our guest with Dreams Unlimited Travel...and boy we now know the value of using a TA

Tracey H with Dreams is amazing and very knowledgeable even for uber Disney self proclaimed experts as ourselves
she brought so much to the table...we could have never done it all without her. So many great tips and suggestions.
and nice to know when life gets busy...you have someone you can turn to for help

also peace of mind knowing that they monitor prices and will alert you if price lowers or a promo comes out that you can take advantage of. Just takes allot of time and effort to do that on your own.

we were still able to book all of our excursions and so forth on the DCL prior to our cruise
though Tracey was there to do all of that for us...but I sill like the waiting around 5 minutes before booking window opens...refreshing that page...to grab those popular things that book out so quick

we also like the fact that Dreams Unlimited (and some other TA) offer onboard credits for booking with them
always nice to have a few extra bucks on your stateroom account. Our guest loved their credits too...we had a number of couples who walked off the ship not paying DCL another cent past their original cruise fare (thanks to their Dreams OBC)

While using a TA is up to you
we certainly highly recommend Dreams Unlimited (sponsor and owner of Dis Board & The Dis Podcast)
check them out here:
http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/

Did ya'll hear about the change to the Booking on Board and it's added flexibility? No longer have to book a dummy cruise, can put down $200.00 to hold a cruise with the OBB for 24 months. I have yet to read the fine print, but it seems a pleasant change!

We have used a TA for all of our Disney Cruises simply to increase our on board credit. We are a family of four and have never had a problem or request that our TA couldn't remedy within the same/next day.

Booking on board? I fill out the slip stop it in the quote box, get the quote that evening, then tell them to book it. I am on vacation I do not want to waste time.
Exactly, easy enough and if you want your TA to handle it you can switch it to them as soon as you get back.

I find it extremely convenient to contact my TA with my parameters for a cruise (dates, budget, number of people, destinations, etc) and letting them do all the work. Of course I get OBC and sometimes a gift from my TA on certain cruises. I have also been lucky to have been on several of the same cruises with the owners of the TA company I use. It's great to sit down with them on a cruise and listen to their experiences and give them some feedback from a customer. My TA has also arranged for special private port adventures on one of the cruises I was on for the same price DCL was charging for the same trip but our included more benefits including a bottle of wine after the tour. When I book new cruises while onboard the ship I always transfer the credit to my TA. I am lucky to have found a great TA.

I would only use a TA if I was getting some kind of good deal or considerations like onboard credit that made it worth it to me. Like you, I like to play around with my reservation.

Exactly the way I feel too. The only reason I used Costco is to the get the credit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter