TA or Not TA

DisneySisters

Mouseketeer
I am wondering about people's experiences using travel agents. I've done both, but historically have been frustrated with the TA experience because I can't get in online and mess around with my booking. What are your experiences?

I've had two, bad experiences with both. I'll be trying Costco next I guess... :headache:

The last few days show why a TA helps they have the booking, no long waits on the phone, no cutting off the phone, no taking a day off to book it, a TA is someone on your side if something goes wrong, like a union they have power, and you can still book aslo and shore trips online you gain control you do not loose any and get on board credits,

If I were brand new and wanted hand-holding, I would use a TA that was totally available to talk to me, that had traveled, that really knew what they were talking about. Frankly, I'm not sure I've ever been that new, LOL...

So I use a TA if I get something from it. A good onboard credit, cash back, etc etc. I don't need hand-holding. I've found that with both Royal and Disney I can call in and do a variety of things, as long as I tell them WHAT I want to do before telling them my reservation number. That way they know what I'm asking about, and they don't stop me with the "you booked with a TA" bit. So it's requesting distilled water for a CPAP, requesting an extension cord, once I even changed the spelling of DH's name when the phone call with the TA had resulted in a misspelling...that sort of thing.

You have to go through the TA to change rooms, add people, subtract people...the things that will change the costs of the cruise.

Having a TA limits you, but not 100%.

Never had the need to make any changes to my booking and I can't generally see me needing to do so. I don't book something unless I have a serious intention of travelling on that date. If something happens and I need to make a change, I'd rather have the TA spend the time on the phone. In fact, I prefer to go to my TA, lay out what I want and then leave it in her hands to make all of the arrangements. Since I can still make all of my onboard and excursion bookings myself, there's no advantage for me to do it myself. If anything goes wrong while I'm on my vacation or beforehand, I have one person to call who knows what to do, who to contact, and has the weight of the agency behind them. About the only thing we do is book our own flights often because we use points and we have to do that ourselves. Other than that, I don't think I've ever booked my own vacations, not just WDW and DCL but any vacation, without using a TA. They have the expertise, the contacts, and the industry know-how that I lack and have the time (and patience) to sit on the phone.

I use a TA for reasons mentioned above. I was at work all day yesterday, working, while my lovely TA handled getting us b2b reservations, which included long wait times. Also, she is a wealth of information (even though I am pretty good at figuring things out myself) and is there if something goes wrong. I tell her what I want and she gets it with minimal effort on my part. It is sometimes frustrating to have to go through her to get changes made, but it is a very minor frustration. Also, we do receive OBC from her. Nice to have when/if something goes wrong.

Just as others have stated....I like having a TA because I have a demanding job so I don't have a lot of time during the day to handle a lot of the issues and stay on the phone with DCL during the day. I like the perks of receiving the OBC also. I can still book my excursions if I want, so I don't feel much loss of control. I lay out all of my wants in detail and she makes it happen with minimal effort on my part.

Be careful if you complain about a TA, lol, I did and got a couple of annoyed posters telling me I shouldn't 'bash' them. Crazy emotion on opening day of DCL pricing. Good grief. I tried to use one this time and just didn't get the details I needed without having to go back and forth. It was frustrating. I think it really depends on having a relationship with a TA before you need them to get the best value. But if you have the time and knowledge, it can be frustration to wait on someone who may not actually be faster or better than you.

We use Eileen Smith at DU and she has been the best. We currently have 3 cruises booked with her and she has provided the best service. Between our inquiries about pricing, stateroom availabilities, changing a sailing, changing a passenger on that sailing, Eileen has been able to get it all done for us. I can't imagine booking on opening day or even expecting detailed results on those days. I just believe that some expectations are too unrealistic. If you are the type who is going to make constant changes to plans, then I don't think a TA is the way to go.

I've only booked two cruises - one without a TA and one with a TA. I did equal work for both.

I only used the TA for OBC this time. I gave the TA every detail needed to book my cruise - if anything, adding the TA in the loop added to the amount of time I had to spend; rather than clicking the last "BUY" button the Disney site, I had to reach out to the TA, wait for a response, then wait for them to push "BUY" for me. But, for that extra time, I got OBC out of it.

I've had no reason to change anything so I haven't seen the value of the TA.

If I book again, I'll definitely check the TA option, but only for the OBC. Free money, right? ;)

We use Eileen Smith at DU and she has been the best. We currently have 3 cruises booked with her and she has provided the best service. Between our inquiries about pricing, stateroom availabilities, changing a sailing, changing a passenger on that sailing, Eileen has been able to get it all done for us. I can't imagine booking on opening day or even expecting detailed results on those days. I just believe that some expectations are too unrealistic. If you are the type who is going to make constant changes to plans, then I don't think a TA is the way to go.
I am curious, how is expecting details on the full cost of a cruise on opening day any different than any other day. Wouldn't it be foolish to book any day without details of what you are paying for? I can get those details online... why should it be too much to ask for a TA provide them on opening day? But it sounds like you do make a lot of changes and yet Eileen is still working well for you, so you've found your sweet spot.

I have done two Disney cruise's without a TA and I wouldn't have it any other way. Every time I have called DCL to get information or to give information based on my needs during the cruise, they have always been very nice to deal with and I have not had to wait on hold more then 5 minutes. My vote is for no TA, but that's just me.

I am curious, how is expecting details on the full cost of a cruise on opening day any different than any other day. Wouldn't it be foolish to book any day without details of what you are paying for? I can get those details online... why should it be too much to ask for a TA provide them on opening day? But it sounds like you do make a lot of changes and yet Eileen is still working well for you, so you've found your sweet spot.

Let's be realistic. There were many people looking for pricing on opening day, these boards were full of posts about anticipated release dates. TAs around the world were busy trying to get prices and stateroom availabilities for prospective clients. Not everyone could be first, just a simple dose of reality. It appears that your TA tried to satisfy as many requests as quickly as possible, just not as detailed or prioritized as you expected. Unless you were booking one of the limited itinerary cruises, there was no reason to rush. The standard 7nt Fantasy sailings and the 3/4nt Dream sailings are still going to be priced at or near opening day pricing. I'm sure that the TA you are unhappy with has more time available in the coming days, as opposed to the frenzy of release day pricing and bookings.

Look how many posters on these boards requested quotes and are now complaining about how quickly the release day pricing increased on the limited itinerary sailings. How many of these quotes will just go unused as the reality of increased demand drove prices to ridiculous rates? You stated that you hope to work in the travel field, are you aware that your TA does not get paid commission for your trip until after your trip is completed? Lot of work for a small reward and then to be complained about by name here on the internet.

Be careful if you complain about a TA, lol, I did and got a couple of annoyed posters telling me I shouldn't 'bash' them.

Eh, who cares about people who are getting better service who somehow think it means EVERYONE gets that service? I tried to get a quote from DU, never heard back from them. When I wrote back "nevermind" (because I just booked it directly) they still didn't respond. I believe one of the DU people responded at some point when I told this, but I don't use social media in that way, and I'm not interested in an apology or whatever. I'm interested in service.

I think it really depends on having a relationship with a TA before you need them to get the best value.

Terrific point. So you have to go through the initiation of not getting great service, in order to get it in the future. That's how I see it.

why should it be too much to ask for a TA provide them on opening day?

Apparently because they are too busy helping people who are already customers.

It's why I use TAs where you can actually BOOK using their site. The getting-a-quote nonsense isn't something I'm interested in. And that means I'm using huge automated TA sites like www.costcotravel.com, and that's fine for me! :)

I use a TA for DCL - she's way more knowledgeable about cruising than I am (I still consider myself a newbie), so I get help/insight AND an onboard credit. I know people have bad experiences but my TA is awesome...guess i got lucky. :)

Have never booked OB, as desk was always busy. You can OBB and name a TA, just some agencies give reduced OB credit for the transferred booking and the transfer has to be done within 30 days of booking.

As for booking directly on DCL website, I have a specific stateroom that I prefer to book and it rarely shows available online.

What has been the experience with booking while on board vs. TA or yourself on the DCL site?
I booked onboard and when I came home I emailed my TA to get the booking transferred to her (they wouldn't do it on the ship for whatever reason) - so OBC and discount from DCL, PLUS the OBC from my TA! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter