SWW Accomodation Questions

ladyjubilee

Mouseketeer
Last year we ended up at the Studios on a Star Wars Weekend, had a nice time, but basically skipped most of the activities. Which was ok, I'm the fan and my son wasn't quite at the stage to get it.....but this year....I guess I should add that my son has autism and is very heat sensitive--and is non-verbal, so language processing and motor planning are issues.

Last year he only met 3 characters-one in MK and two in AK (Rafiki's area.) He really likes characters and he has started showing a real interest in Star Wars-particularly lightsabers.

I called Guest Relations and they did say they can accodmodate his needs for JTA--we're going to go back on a non-SWW day for JTA. Do you know what "accomodate" actually means when it comes to JTA?

My nephew really wants to see Ray Park---and if he gets to do it, my son will want to as well ((My son doesn't really know who Ray Park is, but if his hero does something, he wants to do it too.)) Do you know if there is any accomodation made for the line wait? Would the let me wait in the line, then let my son come into my place just before (I don't need to meet, but need to be close in case there is an issue.) How do they handle wrist bands when the child won't wear them?

The reason we skipped all the characters last year is that he can't wait out in the sun/heat--even a 10 minutes out in the direct sun/heat can be an issue. Would they let him wait in the shade then swap with me?

Last year we ended up at the Studios on a Star Wars Weekend, had a nice time, but basically skipped most of the activities. Which was ok, I'm the fan and my son wasn't quite at the stage to get it.....but this year....I guess I should add that my son has autism and is very heat sensitive--and is non-verbal, so language processing and motor planning are issues.

Last year he only met 3 characters-one in MK and two in AK (Rafiki's area.) He really likes characters and he has started showing a real interest in Star Wars-particularly lightsabers.

I called Guest Relations and they did say they can accodmodate his needs for JTA--we're going to go back on a non-SWW day for JTA. Do you know what "accomodate" actually means when it comes to JTA?

My nephew really wants to see Ray Park---and if he gets to do it, my son will want to as well ((My son doesn't really know who Ray Park is, but if his hero does something, he wants to do it too.)) Do you know if there is any accomodation made for the line wait? Would the let me wait in the line, then let my son come into my place just before (I don't need to meet, but need to be close in case there is an issue.) How do they handle wrist bands when the child won't wear them?

The reason we skipped all the characters last year is that he can't wait out in the sun/heat--even a 10 minutes out in the direct sun/heat can be an issue. Would they let him wait in the shade then swap with me?

Considering there is now a stamp that says "not to be used for celebrity meet and greets" I would not expect much.

I had several conversations with GS this weekend about "accomodations" without much success. I was told the usual "GAC is not used for meet and greets" etc. I was told CM's at the (non celeb) greets "may" work with us to avoid the sun. But success may vary depending on the CM, crowd, time of day etc.

GS did say that people line up early(sometimes over night) to get a wrist band to meet the "stars".

GS did say that people line up early(sometimes over night) to get a wrist band to meet the "stars".

True...my nephew's plan is to get to the Park around 4am---our plan was for one of the adults to go with my nephew get two wrist bands and the other adult to come the park at opening with my son.

But if there isn't a way for him to wait in a cooler place he'll just miss out (again). It is what it is, I guess.

For Jedi Training you sign up and get a time to return for your scheduled training. Everyone does this now. So you won't need anything special for that part. Being on stage, all the characters are very good at working with the kids, of every ability. They may allow you to help your son (or not, you'll have to ask specifically at guest services) but there really aren't any actual accommodations that can be made, or need to be made, other than saying that your son can participate to his ability. He doesn't necessarily need to actually follow the direction, and as long as he's not going after Darth Vadar in a harmful way (I've seen kids do this LOL) they'll just help him to the best of his ability and let him h ang out with his lightsaber and cape.

If he can't follow directions it might not be fun for him, or he might not understand when Darth Vadar appears that he's meant to put the routine he just learned into practice, but if he can simply mimic the movements of what the trainer is showing (which is what all the kids actually do) then he'll be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter