switched resorts on me!

Honeybug

Earning My Ears
In October my husband and 2 little girls under 3 were going to take a vacation to Disney World with my sister, brother-in-law and 2 nieces under 3. We booked the trip on my sister's credit card. When we decided to take this trip we agreed that we were going to stay from Oct.1st-Oct.9 at the Pop Century in connecting rooms. This WAS supposed to be a cheap (since we booked because of the great dining package) and fun vacation for both families.

go have a blast!!maybe you guys can meet up at the parks.also i was thinking (i don't do it often,i promise)maybe her's is a mistake?maybe you should bring it up to her as you thought disney made a mistake and see what she says?i still say go,go,go have a blast.if you really want meet up at the parks!the kids can still do disney together if you guys meet up at the entrances in the a.m. at the park.have fun planning!!!

one more thing, i think you guys will love pop!!!we have stayed at alot of different resort including the comtempary and in oct we will be visiting pop also for our third time at that resort.we really took to it,i will stay at pop before staying at a deluxe!that's just me.go have fun,trust me you will love pop it has great themeing for the kids.

im sure its not meant to be hurtful or mean, just a resort change, sometimes couples/families need there own room/space especially while on group trips, this doesnt mean you cant still meet up & enjoy the parks as a big family with your girls because youre at a different resort. of course you should still go, youve already paid plus your dd will still have fun & its still a great deal/opp to go to wdw.

While I totally understand being upset, I say GO!!!!

You will have a wonderful time with your family and your DD will love it! Why punish yourself and your family because of what your sister did? Besides, believe me, you won't be spending much time in the rooms anyway!

I am not sticking up for her, because she definitely should have discussed it with you....but maybe she just didn't know how to tell you they really wanted to stay at the Poly....especially knowing you couldn't afford it....

GO! GO! GO!

I agree with the other person who posted and would absolutely GO!!!

Don't let your sister have that kind of control over you!! :cheer2: Why should you pay your money and stay at home while they get to go and have fun just because she changed resorts without telling you? My family tries to do the same crap and walk over me and I said enough is enough and I just tell it like it is now and I don't let them get away with it. : :cool1:

This is just me, but I would mention it to my sister about switching resorts and just see if it is a mistake or if she is surprising you by everyone staying at the Poly-I guess just see what she says...check and make sure your reservations are still correct and have a Disney vacation!!

You could always meet up at the parks and eat together and have time to see everything together. You will have just as much fun staying at Pop as they will staying at the Poly...and you are making memories for your kids even though they won't really remember it since they are young they will have pictures to look back on and you will always have the memories of your trip. My daughter was 1.5 when she saw Cinderella's castle for the first time and I will never forget it.

Sorry my post turned out to be long! I hoped I didn't sound mean :rolleyes: but I've had so much "family drama" that I am nice to them but my hubby and daughter is who I do everything for, care most about, and I don't mean that selfish-they just mean the most to me that I tune out others and what they say/do.

Hope this helps-hope you have fun!!

Chelly

3 weeks 2 days until our next WDW trip!!!! ::MickeyMo :banana:

Why would you even consider throwing $2000 away by not taking your trip? You say money is too tight to stay at the Poly, but how is skipping your vacation budget-minded? Sorry, but I can't get past how ludicrous that is. I can't even fathom letting her hotel choice ruin your vacation.

Maybe she could've handled it better, but maybe she meant to tell you and thinks she did. People do that sometimes you know. My husband would tell you I most certainly do claim to tell him things he's never heard. Try to accept they wanted a different hotel without taking it personally. We wouldn't want adjoining rooms with anyone, because we can better enjoy
the company of others if we also have some privacy. It's really probably just that they could afford a deluxe hotel and wanted one and no comment on their relationship with you.

Now, look inside and ask yourself: Are you feeling worse about not being in adjoining rooms or missing out on the Poly?

There is a bright side. You'll both have your space, so if touring together isn't nirvana, it's easy to get a break from each other. If touring together is perfection, then she's scored a monorail resort which you all can use for a breather. Your family can join hers at the Poly's pool in the middle of the day.

I don't know your sister-but is it possible that this is some sort of surprise
for you and your family. You did say her husband makes more money than
yours. And she did not mention this to you and she did put it on their credit
card-mabey just mabey its a surprise.

I don't know your sister-but is it possible that this is some sort of surprise

I was thinking the same thing....

I agree with the other posters about still going! You will have a blast! And, I speak from experience here, travelling with family can be fun but STRESSFUL. It might be good that you have your own space.

(You can always read my trip reports "Children, Parents and In-Laws, Oh My! on the trip reports board.)

Go and have a great time!!!!!!!!!

My .02 worth: Go on your trip, and enjoy it! I would ask her about the change, but then let it go. If there was a surprise intended, how nice of her. If she was uneasy about upgrading her room knowing that your budget did not include a deluxe, well so what? You may have been handed a bonus by being able to go to separte resorts at the end of the day.

It could also be a blessing in disguise. I have heard of people going with their families and it being a disaster, myself included. After our last trip to WDW with my family I vowed I would never go woth them again they made it miserable for us. This may be the perfect solution. You could have time alone with you family and she with hers and then like others have said meet up later and have some experiences together. I would definitely not let this situation rob you of the fun you could have with your husband and children!

Oh...let me chime in with the trust me, it's really a blessing in disguise feeling! You sound just like me, and trust me, things never work out quite the way we oh so carefully plan it. :rolleyes:

Just think...now you can hop on a bus and head back to your resort and have some time with just YOUR family. That is ever so important! :cool1: You will of course see them at the parks, at the joint dining PS's already made, etc.

Yes, I agree, it would be incredibly hurtful to find out like that....but don't ruin your vacation because of it....just go and have a blast. And when the two nieces get cranky....just head off to Pop...Say, sis...I think we'll head back....I just can't get enough of that Hippy Dippy Pool, and can barely pull the girls out of Goofy's water jets! See you later! :rotfl:

I agree with all the other posts. If your sister has re booked elsewhere I find that a bit mean bearing in mind that both of you have small kids. Also I wouldn't rub it in my sisters face if we were in a better financial position either.
I say go. You will have a great time and the look on your kids faces is going to make up for this blip in the plans. At least this way you will get some free time and could meet up later at the parks/dinner.
As SCanne said read her reports they will make you laugh.
Have a great trip. I'll send you a :grouphug: to make you feel better.
p.s. If she has booked the Poly as a surprise I take it all back as she is a great sister :rotfl:

Princesa said:
Oh...let me chime in with the trust me, it's really a blessing in disguise feeling! You sound just like me, and trust me, things never work out quite the way we oh so carefully plan it. :rolleyes:

Just think...now you can hop on a bus and head back to your resort and have some time with just YOUR family. That is ever so important! :cool1: You will of course see them at the parks, at the joint dining PS's already made, etc.

Yes, I agree, it would be incredibly hurtful to find out like that....but don't ruin your vacation because of it....just go and have a blast. And when the two nieces get cranky....just head off to Pop...Say, sis...I think we'll head back....I just can't get enough of that Hippy Dippy Pool, and can barely pull the girls out of Goofy's water jets! See you later! :rotfl:

a sister after my own heart.....

I agree with other postres.

1. Your sister may be trying to surprise you.
2. Having gone with a variety of family size groups (from 4 - over 40 on one trip) it is WONDERFUL to have alone time. I have found that usually after a few days the "newness" of the kids being together 24/7 wears off they need some time apart.

Also--I'm not sure I understood how it was booked: as 2 different ressies but both with your sister's card or one ressie asnd you just paid her your portion? If it was one ressie, if everyone has to be on the same package how did they switch resorts?

My sister and her family are not trying to surprise me! I know this because our names are no longer under her reservation. They changed our reservation, but we are still at the POP. We had to get a new confirmation number to even be able to check on our reservation.

I am sorry that your sister has done this to you. Sounds like mine. I would never think of going on vacation with mine. That being said, I wish that it were possible.

I would go ahead and go in spite of her. Have you gone and talked with your sister and brother-in-law about this? It seems to me that you have alot to talk about.

Try to talk calmly with them. Explain to them that you found out and ask point blank why the change. Also ask about the change in your tickets. Being as you have invested $2000 in this trip, by all means, you have a vested interest in the answers.

Don't let your sister ruin your vacation. It is your vacation, too. Go and have a magical time!! :wave2:

Did you stop to think about it from your sisters POV?

I would not be happy staying at Pop. I wouldn't want to spend the money on a WDW vacation where I was staying at a resort I wouldn't be happy at. People have different expectations of their vacations. While some want to spend most of their days in the parks, others want to have time out for relaxing at their resorts. I would not be able to have the type of vacation that I want, and am accustomed to, at a value. It sounds like your sister feels that way as well.

That said, I think that there is a major communication breakdown happening here. We've been to WDW with family and friends on quite a few trips. In some cases we've just had everyone stay with us in a DVC unit. But on other trips we've gone with people who couldn't afford to stay in a deluxe. We didn't expect them to, but also made it clear we wouldn't stay in a value. The open communication was the key.

The trip worked out just fine, we would meet during the day at the parks, and have many of our meals together.

It is difficult when families have different budgets, but it can work as long as you communicate. In my case we took my brother and his family a few years ago. They stayed with us in a 2BR DVC unit, so where to stay wasn't an issue. But they had budget constraints, and we had a frank discussion about what their budget would be at the very start of the trip, and I planned our dining to fit within their budget. They were very pleased with the plans that I made, and even happier when they finished the trip under budget.

I highly doubt your sister was trying to slight you, but rather was planning her family's vacation to maximise what is important to them. Remember, they are also spending a lot of money for the trip, and want it to be "right" for them as well.

Anne

Honeybug said:
My sister and her family are not trying to surprise me! I know this because our names are no longer under her reservation. They changed our reservation, but we are still at the POP. We had to get a new confirmation number to even be able to check on our reservation. Also when they changed our reservation they somehow changed it from 8 park hopper tickets to 5. What happened to the 3 we paid for? What are we supposed to do now? My husband and I are so hurt. This was supposed to be a family vacation. My sister and I have been talking about this trip on a daily basis since we booked it. We planned our dining together, etc. We are even flying on the same plane to Florida (we live up the street from them). We just talked about Pop the other day and she said nothing. My husband and I know that they didn't tell us because they knew we would be upset. They didn't want to face us. BUT when were they going to tell us? When we got to Disney? I don't think that I can still go to Disney now and have a good time. I am so hurt that my sister and her husband would go behind our backs and lie to us. My sister has hurt me in the past, but WOW I didn't think she would do something like this.
Thanks for listening.

Could it be that her husband did it as a surprise to her?? I don't understand why you had to get a new confirmation number. Does that mean you had to book the trip again?? Somehow something sounds off. Check again to see if somehow you are booked at the Poly too. She could have moved the reservation and when they looked up your information saw an old request. I would just ask her about it. It's much better to be upfront. Also, don't let that ruin your vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter