Swine Flu - General Discussion and how it affects Disney

I live in Easley, and know someone in Greenville area who went to Tampa and came back with the flu. It wasn't the swine flu, just the regular kind. Makes me feel a little better (i think). I just talked to my pediatrician who told me to go ahead with my trip, just to was our hands frequently. So I am off to Disney on Saturday.:goodvibes

Please remember, the seasonal flu is just as dangerous. Anytime someone has the flu, it shouldn't be overlooked. By all means, they need to stay home and out of public. What is of concern with this flu, is that it is a "new" flu that we wouldn't have built up immunity to it yet. But the seasonal flu is a "deadly" flu just like this one is.

So good to here! I'm hoping the Mauldin High kids just have a regular cold and they are just taking the necessary precautions. I was glad SC was off the list, but to be on it now.....:scared1:

I know. That is why I went into panic mode and called the DR and asked should I cancel my trip. Luckily they said no.:goodvibes I think I Would have been more disappointed than the kids. I am a little concerned about my 19 mth old. He's healthy though, and a good eater so that makes me feel better. I will be taking LOTS of hand sanitazer with me too.:banana:

Let's pray we come home safe and unsick:sick:

there is talk more schools in texas are about to be closing its doors for 7-10 days. wonder how many families who are affected by school closings will be flooding disney next week? betting attendance will be higher than it normally would be.
reasoning is: how many parents can afford just to "be home" with kids because school is closed? betting a lot will be taking off of work and taking mini vacations during that time.
just my thoughts.

Probably alot and probably they should listen to the CDC> Just because the schools are closed DOES NOT MEAN TO HEAD OUT TO THE MALLS OR MOVIES( or themeparks probably).It means stay close to home to help preventthe spread of flu.Can you imagine the spread of it if lots of people in a confirmed and closed school district head to Florida? people don't need to panic, but geez use common sense.

Just wanted to let everyone know--if you are still planning on coming down, stock up on your supplies before you leave home. Our local drugstores (10 miles from WDW) are entirely out of masks and Purell. A few small bottles of store brand sanitizer. We were in Walgreens picking up a prescription, and from what we heard supplies are out all over the area. The Walgreens was slammed too. No idea what the prescriptions were, but the pharmacy line was wrapped around the store and they were backed up by over two hours.

Stay safe and healthy!

Funny you should post this. I just got back from Walgreen's. I'm in Ohio where we have one confirmed case. I went down the soap aisle, no low stocks. Plenty of Purell and other handsanitzers. I also checked out the baby aisle and got a box of Sani-Kids wipes, no low stock and there was a big display of masks in front of the store near the cash register, a few empty spots on the display but still plenty left.

Just a comparison, no idea what it means.

The newest records (as of 10:30AM) from the CDC
These are lab confirmed CDC sample results:

Arizona 1
California 14
Indiana 1
Kansas 2
Massachusetts 2
Michigan 1
Nevada 1
New York 50
Ohio 1
South Carolina

Texas
TOTAL COUNTS 109 cases 1 death

6 of those confirmed cases are hospitalized. The CDC guy himself did say don't pay attention to their numbers as they are way behind the real spread of this virus.
BUT GOOD NEWS ~~~~~ As of last night more state labs are able to test for this virus... including Mexico having their own mobile lab so some of the test should be getting results back sooner ~ at least those who had them sent to the CDC

Theres is 300,000,000 residents in the US. Hardly something to be getting worked up about.

Also, from all the confirmed cases throughout the world, only one of the people involved has not been in mexico recently, but his girlfriend has. that is a spanish couple.

Have you seen the conditions in mexico where people who have died are from?

Its wooden shacks they live in, and the water is brown.

I'll be extremely surprised if anybody from outside Mexico dies from this.

Please remember, the seasonal flu is just as dangerous. Anytime someone has the flu, it shouldn't be overlooked. By all means, they need to stay home and out of public. What is of concern with this flu, is that it is a "new" flu that we wouldn't have built up immunity to it yet. But the seasonal flu is a "deadly" flu just like this one is.

I do know that if my child gets sick (the dr says if they run a fever of over 101) that they need to go to the Dr. I just refuse to stay home and waste all my vacation time and money when we can go and feel fairly safe about it. Don't get me wrong, if the Dr had said we should stay home, I would be right here all of next week (probably crying):lmao:

Someone earlier mentioned about the workers at WDW. That really is a good point, here we all are wondering if we should take 7 days or so to spend in WDW, and there are people there who have to be there 8+ hours per day. Even if they have time to take off, they can't ALL take off at once.

Once I thought about that it really puts things into perspective. We have not heard of hundreds of CM's coming down with the flu, when they are the ones inside with all sorts of different visitors everyday!

True. I also think about my fellow healthcare workers. I know our local hospitals are already putting together "Disaster call lists" to be effected immediately if Pt care providers start to come down with the flu.If the facility calls you in you are to come to work prepared to stay( kind of like Hurricaine lists)

Funny you should post this. I just got back from Walgreen's. I'm in Ohio where we have one confirmed case. I went down the soap aisle, no low stocks. Plenty of Purell and other handsanitzers. I also checked out the baby aisle and got a box of Sani-Kids wipes, no low stock and there was a big display of masks in front of the store near the cash register, a few empty spots on the display but still plenty left.

Was very hard to find it in Fairfield Cty, CT. Also, several drugstores are out of Tamiflu.

I think I saw this a little while ago in another thread, but am I to assume that if the CDC shuts down WDW resorts and parks for 7-10 days, it's not covered in the Disney standard trip insurance clause?

I guess that's wishful thinking, eh? :flower3::flower3:

Is the general consensious that this will not affect crowds or airfare? I was kinda selfishly hoping people would stay away in fear of the swine flu

Yeah, here in Pennsylvania the Purell is actually on sale right now and there are still loads of it to be had. I picked up an extra bottle just to have for our trip in 3 weeks, but 3 weeks is a long time when looking at this, and who knows if we'll even need it by then.

Theres is 300,000,000 residents in the US. Hardly something to be getting worked up about.

Also, from all the confirmed cases throughout the world, only one of the people involved has not been in mexico recently, but his girlfriend has. that is a spanish couple.

I think if one of the 109 people sick were part of your family you would be "worked up".

The number of confirmed cases basically doubled over night.

I still don't think that panic is a good thing. We can't fix anything if we're panicking. However acting like Officer Barbrady from South Park ("Move along, nothing to see here") is equally Goofy.

Just be careful. :hug:

The CDC is doing a "live" Q&A right now, and they said you should NOT cancel any sort of trip within the USA. If you are sick, then perhaps you should avoid air travel so you don't spread it to anyone else, but if you have trips planned you should go ahead and take them. Very reassuring coming from them.

The CDC is doing a "live" Q&A right now, and they said you should NOT cancel any sort of trip within the USA. If you are sick, then perhaps you should avoid air travel so you don't spread it to anyone else, but if you have trips planned you should go ahead and take them. Very reassuring coming from them.

:goodvibes

That has to be the best thing I have heard all day!!!:banana::cool1::thumbsup2

The CDC rocks!:worship:

Huh, that's really interesting. I would think there would be more, not less, of a run on supplies where there's been a confirmed case. People here are scared, everyone's talking about it. I wonder why the panic is so much greater here. I am glad I posted this now, since it might never occur to someone that they couldn't get supplies here.

Kathleen Sebelius really talks with her hands. Wow - hard to actually listen to her with all that motion.

Woo Hoo! :cool1::cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter