Swine Flu - General Discussion and how it affects Disney

It's interesting how people react differently. I'm a Type I, also, albeit you're a pro compared to me, as I'm only in my 12th year of battling. I've yet to have a flu shot, and rarely do I get very sick. Diabetics as a rule, though, are more prone to infections. From what I'm reading with this Flu, and most strains of influenza, it is the secondary infections that cause the most problems, so you can see the concern for diabetics.

That being said. I'm packed and ready to go for Saturday! I'll do the same things I do year round to avoid illness, and, hopefully, the Disney magic will keep me healthy!

Absolutely, and not forgetting the ketoacidosis, yuck! I've developed other auto immune conditions as a result of the diabetes but that wasn't until after I'd been diabetic for 20+ years.

Have a fab time - I just got back over the weekend from a funfilled week at Disney, had no issues at all although I did use hand sanitizer and was more careful about touching things then touching my face.

For those on your way to WDW, have a great time!! :goodvibes

Wish I could have had a short trip this year, but being on a fixed income, my savings account was screaming, "Noooooooooo!!" LOL

Thanks guys ( ClareH and Toad_P )for the spelling and the info!:goodvibes

I developed type 2 myself and have some other mysterious autoimmune thing going on. (more tests this week..woohoo)

I didnt know it was considered a autoimmune thing. Makes sense now though.

And Toad_P have a great trip!

C.Ann I know what u mean.. My budeget is screaming " No" " Dont think about it" and a few other choice words... But not even swine flu can keep me away..:lovestruc

Wish I knew if that was the darn Swine flue that I already had a month back. Then I could run through Disney with wild abandon. lol

First of all...no one has "started" a new thread...this thread has been going days before the "panic" even started.

However, I think instead of a "panic thread," I am going to start a "PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST thread!"

I am so sick of this type of response to this thread. :headache: :faint:

Everyone I know, at this point, is still going to Disney.

No one is freaking out. No one is panicing. We are discussing.

And if you don't want to read about or discuss the flu, then read one of the other million threads on this board!!!!! And leave those of us alone that would like to discuss this interesting topic. :mad:

Besides...every time someone posts with this type of response...it just bumps the thread right back up to the top...if you don't want to read about or discuss it, then stop responding. :confused3

Sorry...but I am a little tired of this response to this thread. We have asked over and over - please respect us. I even posted a nice reminder on post #1 as well...and it is continually ignored. :headache:

Maybe if you stop changing the name of the thread people wont get confused.

Hey guys!

Did you see this speech from the Director of WHO? I thought it was interesting.

http://www.who.int/dg/speeches/2009/62nd_assembly_address_20090518/en/index.html

It sounds like she is pretty level-headed about the whole thing. Evidently the countries of Britain, Japan and maybe the UK (is that right?) asked WHO to hold off on calling for a level 6 declaration and she is going to take those comments into consideration.

They would like to know more about the flu so they can give a better severity index before they actually raise the level to pandemic.

Although, I am not exactly sure what would change when she does? Does anyone know? I guess certain countries have policies in place that would require them to do something different if the same flu is called a level 6 rather than a 5? :confused3

Hey guys!

Did you see this speech from the Director of WHO? I thought it was interesting.

http://www.who.int/dg/speeches/2009/62nd_assembly_address_20090518/en/index.html

It sounds like she is pretty level-headed about the whole thing. Evidently the countries of Britain, Japan and maybe the UK (is that right?) asked WHO to hold off on calling for a level 6 declaration and she is going to take those comments into consideration.

They would like to know more about the flu so they can give a better severity index before they actually raise the level to pandemic.

Although, I am not exactly sure what would change when she does? Does anyone know? I guess certain countries have policies in place that would require them to do something different if the same flu is called a level 6 rather than a 5? :confused3
Britain and the UK are the same place... :confused3

Anyway, the media coverage of swine flu over here is practically non-existant now, in newspapers at least. I'm not sure of the exact effect of raising the pandemic level; over here, the government are shutting schools as soon as one child gets it and I can't see them getting more militant about it than that until we see a death in Britain from it.

Anyway, the media coverage of swine flu over here is practically non-existant now, in newspapers at least. I'm not sure of the exact effect of raising the pandemic level; over here, the government are shutting schools as soon as one child gets it and I can't see them getting more militant about it than that until we see a death in Britain from it.

Hey, they could stop people from traveling overseas...that would mean less bodies at WDW! :thumbsup2
Hmm... wonder how bad it is in Brazil?................:rolleyes:

Yeah...I need a major Geography lesson!

:lmao:

I can't remember the three countries that asked the World Health Organization for restraint! But I am glad they did...whoever they are! :rotfl:

I just returned from Disney this Sunday and I am pretty sure am Swine Flu free:)

There is no need to cancel trips and such just go and have a good time and wash your hands and germX :) By the way the crowd level was LOW at MK Saturday it was wonderful! Never stayed in line for more than 5 min but we used a tourplan and 1 fastpass for Splash Mountain!!!:banana:

I just returned from Disney this Sunday and I am pretty sure am Swine Flu free:)

There is no need to cancel trips and such just go and have a good time and wash your hands and germX :) By the way the crowd level was LOW at MK Saturday it was wonderful! Never stayed in line for more than 5 min but we used a tourplan and 1 fastpass for Splash Mountain!!!:banana:

That is awesome news! :)

I don't know of anyone canceling trips anymore...just handwashing and alcohol based hand santizer!

In fact, FL seems to have fewer cases than many of the other major cities that folks are traveling FROM! :thumbsup2

That is awesome news! :)

I don't know of anyone canceling trips anymore...just handwashing and alcohol based hand santizer!

In fact, FL seems to have fewer cases than many of the other major cities that folks are traveling FROM! :thumbsup2

Anyone know about Brazil at the moment? We travel in July and the throngs of Brazilian teens will be in attendance - will it be fall in Brazil, thus the potential for those students bringing their germs to WDW?

We have never been sick in July as the sun is a pretty potent antibacterial agent, but not sure with this new flu strain, or the seasonal flu which is the bigger problem at the moment?

Anyone know, Tiger

Anyone know about Brazil at the moment? We travel in July and the throngs of Brazilian teens will be in attendance - will it be fall in Brazil, thus the potential for those students bringing their germs to WDW?

We have never been sick in July as the sun is a pretty potent antibacterial agent, but not sure with this new flu strain, or the seasonal flu which is the bigger problem at the moment?

Anyone know, Tiger

Brazil only has 8 cases and no new cases reported on the 19th.

In comparison, Chicago and suburb (Cook Co) alone have 531 cases.

We have 409 NEW cases in the US reported on the 19th.

Here is the source from the World Health Organization. They are a little behind on data, though. Probably by a few days?

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_05_19/en/index.html

I wouldn't worry about the Brazilian tour groups. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter