• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Swine Flu - General Discussion and how it affects Disney

According to this article (and others on the web) It is precisely those with a healthy immune system who are most at risk because their immune response is so strong. The group most at risk is right in the middle - not the very young or the aged. ....

Quote from the URL: "However, the middle age group--roughly age 15 to 50, give or take--tend to have an active, vigorous immune response upon invasion by a pathogen. Most of the time, this keeps us relatively free of disease from microbes, but some organisms tend to trigger this type of hyper-response that actually ends up harming the host--in some cases, fatally. This is what we've seen in some cases of H5N1 infection, and what's been induced in mouse models with the 1918 H1N1 strain."

(emphasis mine) -- Um, that's what I was saying -- middle aged people -- people in their mid-40's to mid-50's -- are at less risk than those between 15 and mid-30's or so. I know I said "15 to 34 are most at risk," but I also said "middle aged people are least at risk." And I think we all can agree that 50 is considered by most people to be "middle age." And your citation says "15 to 50, give or take." Give or take -- 45 to 55 are least at risk. Give or take. :)

That article is referring to people in the middle of an age group, and not making it synonymous with the idiom "middle aged." In other words, it divided people into broad categories -- the young (under 15), the next group (the middle group) age 15 to 50, and the older (51 and up). The exact quote: "Children have immune responses that are still developing, while the elderly tend to lose some immune function with the aging process. However, the middle age group...." It does not say "middle aged people are most at risk." It says those between "15 to 50, give or take" are, only using the words "middle age" to refer to the second of the three broad categories that they used. Hope this helps!

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

Now, Dad has some health concerns such as mild COPD, Hep C and cardiovascular disease.

And I am guessing your MD's response was somewhat directed to your particular situation and, if I had those same chronic conditions, I wouldnt go either.
Thanks for your information though

I appreciate your post but with all the differing advice that people are getting from their own doctors as well as "experts" on t.v., maybe people should call the hospitals and clinics down near Disney themselves and decide. What you reported was one Dr.'s advice and I am not trying to be rude, but the advice was a little odd to me when you stated he said people should stay away from the big cities. Don't take offense. I'm not doubting you. I just think people sometimes should hear things from the horses mouth in regards to things like this as opposed to following what someone who knows someone on the internet says. :hippie:

Well, the doctor also gave his opinion on people with no health issues as well. But garnering that information would require reading the original post in its entirety. Which I see is too much trouble for many posters.

Those of you that have been supportive, thank you. Whether or not you choose to go ahead with your trips, I wish you all the best. To the rest: Have fun, and I hope you're right and the health professionals in the Disney area are wrong.

And for the 100th time, the doctor didn't suggest that people living in big cities should leave. He advised against unnecessary travel to larger cities (though I hear there are some great deals right now in Mexico City if you're so inclined), and that people try to stay away from large gatherings to the extent that is feasible.

I wholeheartedly concur that people need to make their own decisions, based on their own research gathering. I wouldn't ever expect someone to make a decision based on something that someone said on an internet board. I was simply trying to add another piece of information to what is presumably a larger body of knowledge, and have been flamed for it all afternoon.

Does anyone know where to get travel sized lysol wipes / spray? I should add those to my list. I'm not really worried too much but I think my sister would want to wipe things down in the Villa (like door handles for example).

I just want to report that I just got off the phone with Celebration Hospital. I told them I was a tourist coming down this weekend and would like to know if there was any advice as to whether or not if I should be any more concerned right now being at Disney World with the flu outbreak. I was told that there is no outbreak there now and that they were not seeing any larger numbers than usual of people coming into the ER with flu symptoms. She said as of now there was no reason not to go on as usual.

That being said, please don't just take my word for it. You all can decide for yourselves what is best for your family. I just feel better that I talk directly to someone in the know.

Wow.. I have a suspected case of the piggy flu (samples are on the way to CDC in Georgia) and I don't even have Tamiflu yet. I go to military doctors and they're being stingy about giving them out to dependents. My doc said yesterday that if I was the servicemember showing symptoms they'd give it to me, but since my hubby is the one in the military I can't get it until they confirm my diagnosis. They know I have some form of influenza, just not sure what yet. Bleh.

FWIW - there is no shortage of tamiflu -governments are stockpiling it now. Doctors prescribe things on prophylactic basis all the time. Tamiflu isn't just for swine flu - we keep a script for it every year. Our daughter is extremely small and does not have much reserve if she becomes ill. I have no problem or guilt having medicines on hand for her. I'm a nurse, our doc is a family friend - he tries as much as possible to keep our kids out of his office because of exposure potential. They wipe down the office hourly, but why go in if you don't have too. I realize some folks don't get that luxury, but I'm not going to feel guilty because of it. I'm very grateful for it.

There are already regional shortages of it. Overall, there may be an adequate supply, but there are pharmacies running out of it in areas. I know Tamiflu isn't just for Swine Flu, but now is not the time for doctors to be prescribing for prophylactic basis.

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_042809HEB_demand-growing-tamiflu-JM.11d3948a7.html

http://www.fiercepharma.com/story/clamor-flu-drugs-clears-store-shelves/2009-04-29

Tell these people that there are no shortages.

DH and I are going to WDW in mid June with DS and DDIL. It's her first trip to WDW. DS is a teacher so we can only go in the summer and they can't afford to go without the 3/4 deal we got. They all think I'm crazy to worry about this flu outbreak but I'm really concerned. We have to pay off our balance on Friday and I am trying to decide whether to purchase the trip insurance. We would only lose $400 - $500 at most so I don't think the insurance would be worth it. I guess we will just ride this out and make a decision later. I'm hoping that this flu will die down during the summer like most flu outbreaks. Stay healthy everyone.

Does anyone know where to get travel sized lysol wipes / spray? I should add those to my list. I'm not really worried too much but I think my sister would want to wipe things down in the Villa (like door handles for example).

I have seen the travel size lysol spray and wipes at walmart near the registers

BTW we will be there the same time as you:thumbsup2

We leave in two weeks and we are most definitely still going! After Disney we're going on a cruise...not canceling that either!

Maybe by the time we get back the media will have found something else to over hype.

I was thinking that maybe an inquiry directly to a hospital or clinic that cares for patients who would come from Disney might be in order(Celebration hosptial, etc). I'm thinking that advice from them whether it's "safe" to be at Disney right now would put some minds to rest. I was also thinking that maybe thy would also be able to share any contingency plans that tourists should make should they get sick at while at Disney.

I just want to report that I just got off the phone with Celebration Hospital. I told them I was a tourist coming down this weekend and would like to know if there was any advice as to whether or not if I should be any more concerned right now being at Disney World with the flu outbreak. I was told that there is no outbreak there now and that they were not seeing any larger numbers than usual of people coming into the ER with flu symptoms. She said as of now there was no reason not to go on as usual.

That being said, please don't just take my word for it. You all can decide for yourselves what is best for your family. I just feel better that I talk directly to someone in the know.

:thumbsup2Bravo for taking your own advice...and have fun celebrating your birthday...

and the mom in me says - wash your hands a lot, and cover your mouth if you sneeze/cough:lmao: You don't want to get sick for your birthday:sick:

To OP - thanks for sharing the info. I like coming to this forum and reading a variety of information from lots of sources.

Wow.. I have a suspected case of the piggy flu (samples are on the way to CDC in Georgia) and I don't even have Tamiflu yet. I go to military doctors and they're being stingy about giving them out to dependents. My doc said yesterday that if I was the servicemember showing symptoms they'd give it to me, but since my hubby is the one in the military I can't get it until they confirm my diagnosis. They know I have some form of influenza, just not sure what yet. Bleh.

I hope you have a speedy recovery.

this is probably a bit OT but as far as WDW being a pool of germs....it always has been and always will be...I can't count the TR's I have read where somebody got sick at some point during their WDW trip...all you can do is wash and sanatize your hands as often as possible...
on another note: I bet the terrorist countries are having a field day with this...just sitting back and watching all of us in the US in a panic over this flu

I work as a waitress, and my husband is a FF/EMT (in a major tourist area on the Emerald Coast of Florida) and unfortunately we both come into contact with sick people all the time, so we are just as likely to catch something here at home as we are a Disney....in 10 days we will be on our way to WDW (sanatizer in hand);)

Anyone who has a trip planned should be aware and keep up on the latest info regarding spread of the virus. The fact is that they raised the rating of this flu again and are preparing for a pandemic event. Hopefully it won't happen but the flu is spread from human to human (this is proven) and obviously spreads quickly (note the schools infected) and can make other medical conditions worse.

If this flu spreads and is uncontained it won't be stopped by handi wipes and sneezing into tissues. We have a disney trip planned for the end of May and I am keeping my sanitized fingers crossed that we can go. But being a realist and not a pessimist I am taking a wait and see attitude. We should know more soon...the Mexican tourist that was tested in Orlando will get results of more extended testing of the swabs they took to the CDC. And here in Florida, due to our very transient and tourist population, the experts are saying its not a matter of IF but When the flu comes here.

Note that the news here in Florida said that there is already a shortage of Tamiflu medication and they are expecting the "stock piled" doses to be released by the feds soon.

If I were going to disney this week or next I would be packing my bags but I am worried about the next month or two. We will definately know more soon, one of the biggest questions they have is why the flu is more deadly in Mexico than in other areas.

Be safe and careful.:worship::goodvibes

I work in health care here in Nova Scotia. I also happend to work and live 20 minutes from where the first 4 Canadian confirmed cases occured. I think that demographics plays a role in ones opinions and it is a shame that people can be rude to someone trying to help.

Just because there are only so many confirmed cases, doesn't mean that there aren't hundreds of people quarantined in certain areas. Our lab saw 124 samples today, they do have to continue to a larger facility, but that is what was taken as potential cases. I want to state that I believe that what ever end of the spectrum you are, educate yourself and make a decision that you are happy with and then that is the right decision for you. Also keep in mind that all virus's live to thrive and will mutate over and over to ensure this. Any virus can be fatal in mass numbers, just because we have had scares over the years, doesn't mean that it can't happen.

I had a briefing session today and based on my location, here is what we are to keep in mind and pass along:

The alert level increase doesn't just happen for no reason

Keeping people out of large areas makes sense at this time. Remember, going to Target, you usually aren't as close to other people and only get in one line up which is the check out.

As usual, common sense or lack of it is why the media is sometimes, not encouraged but prompted to keep reporting because all of these sick people who have to continue their vacation, will do so even with a threat such as this.

Also keep in mind that government itself wants to be aware of how many cases there are and where they come from. The only way to help in pandemic possibilities is to learn as much as they can about how these can and will travel.

Please don't jump on the fear mongering thing, I too am just passing along info.

To the OP--Thanks for the info. I personally feel there are many flu cases roaming all over the US and have just not been confirmed. I was bringing my 75 year old mother for Mother's Day. I cancelled yesterday. It's not worth the risk to her health. If she gets sick here at home, that is fine. I would rather be in our hometown with our doctors and our family than stuck in Orlando. I do think everyone has to make up their own minds about their own family. Again to the OP, thanks for the info.

You certainly have to make the decisions that are right for you and your family. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, or with the doctor. However, my opinion is that a doctor who treats people coming in sick from Disney every day of his life may have a slightly better knowledge of possible swine flu infection at Disney than a pediatric surgeon in another state. I would, of course, expect your neighbor to have a better grasp on the situation in your area than this doctor would.

I think a lot of people on this board are hiding their heads in the sand, and acting like Disney won't still be there in a month or so when this thing blows over. But I'll defend to the death their right to their opinion. I won't, however, be accused of fear mongering for sharing information that comes from a reliable source.

It's the flu. It's not going away. What makes September better than now.
Don't send your kids to school. Schools are a cesspool of germs. So are restaurants, movie theaters, etc.

I'm sorry if I ruffled feathers, and I didn't mean to imply that our doctors pass out scripts carelessly, but there is a certain amount of short-cutting that takes place. Again I'm referring to non-serious medical issues. Our pediatrician knows our family on a professional and personal level, if there is any concern on either end we make appts. We have a 20 month old who is barely 17 lbs - we do keep standing scripts for her as she does not have a reserve to withstand severe illnesses. Again, I'm sorry to sound cavalier, but I do avoid taking my children into a health care setting unless absolutely necessary. Heck, I wear shoe covers regardless of pt diagnosis - shoes never come in the house, scrubs into the washer before I get in the house and I shower first thing when I get home. And in all honesty I'm not a germ phobe - just fully aware of how bad some of these bugs really are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter