Swan & Dolphin Weddings FAQ

Yeah, the Dolphin upgraded us too. That seems to be their policy for their wedding couples, as long as there's room available. I really liked our hospitality suite. People complain that the rooms are too plain, but I thought it was serviceable. We called down and had them bring in some extra tables, chairs and linens, and it actually looked pretty nice. I liked the balconies too. Plus, they're spacious! It was enough room for nine of us, plus four stylists, a nail technician, and the two people from Carolyn Allen who came to do steaming and pressing for our attire.

Yeah, the Dolphin upgraded us too. That seems to be their policy for their wedding couples, as long as there's room available. I really liked our hospitality suite. People complain that the rooms are too plain, but I thought it was serviceable. We called down and had them bring in some extra tables, chairs and linens, and it actually looked pretty nice. I liked the balconies too. Plus, they're spacious! It was enough room for nine of us, plus four stylists, a nail technician, and the two people from Carolyn Allen who came to do steaming and pressing for our attire.

I didn't think the rooms were too plain at all! I actually found them quite pretty....& their beds are soooo comfy :cloud9:

Hi all!
I have been a long time lurker and finally decided to start posting on the boards :) My fiance and I were recently engaged at the California Grill during wishes, and are now planning on a January 2016 wedding at the Swan and Dolphin. Since neither of us are into the whole dancing thing at a reception, we are thinking of just a simple dinner at one of the S&D restaurants.

We would love to incorporate some fireworks watching into the reception, but don't know how to go about this. Does Disney allow non-DFTW brides to book private Illuminations dessert parties? If so, does anyone have contact information for booking this?

Yes, you can book a private IllumiNations dessert party via Disney Catered Events (not through DFTW). You contact them at meetings@disneyworld.com or 321-939-7278.

It's not as advertised, but the Swan actually has some good vantage points for at least the aerial IllumiNations fireworks as well. They book their own fireworks cruises. We had our reception at Todd English's bluezoo, and we had the option of booking their private dining rooms through the end of IllumiNations. From one of the private rooms, you can exit onto a patio on the back of the restaurant and see some of the aerial fireworks from there.

Yes, you can book a private IllumiNations dessert party via Disney Catered Events (not through DFTW). You contact them at meetings@disneyworld.com or 321-939-7278.

It's not as advertised, but the Swan actually has some good vantage points for at least the aerial IllumiNations fireworks as well. They book their own fireworks cruises. We had our reception at Todd English's bluezoo, and we had the option of booking their private dining rooms through the end of IllumiNations. From one of the private rooms, you can exit onto a patio on the back of the restaurant and see some of the aerial fireworks from there.

The S&D offers their own fireworks cruises?? Wow, I had no idea! Do you happen to know the price and if the view is comparable to the Disney Illuminations Cruises?

Thanks!

The S&D offers their own fireworks cruises?? Wow, I had no idea! Do you happen to know the price and if the view is comparable to the Disney Illuminations Cruises?

Thanks!

I don't really know anything about the Swan cruises other than the fact that they exist. We didn't plan anything around the fireworks.

Thanks-do you know who to contact to find out more info about it? How did you hear about it?

It might have been mentioned by my planner or another bride. You can try asking your planner, or possibly Lindsey Cullen (the catering sales manager for the Swan and Dolphin).

Many of our guests ended up staying at the Dolphin too. It's worth noting that the Swan and Dolphin room blocks are tailored more toward corporate conventions than weddings. They require a minimum of 10 rooms per night that you block, and you have to pay 25% of EVERY room you block in advance. You're also on the hook for the balance if you don't fill all of the rooms you block.

I blocked 10 rooms for S/D wedding. You don't have to pay 25% up front. Also my rate is so much better than what is quoted for that time. I was also assured that if there is a better rate out there they will match it. So far my rate is $30 cheaper. You have to fill 80% of the rooms. Most of my guests are staying there though!

Hi everyone!

I'm part of the Swalphin facebook group, but I think this is the 1st time I've ever posted on this thread! We are considering a Sept 2015 S/D wedding, mainly because we both have large, spread out families. His is centrally located close to where we live, but mine is all over the US and we can't seem to find a good neutral location for everyone!

We currently live in rural upstate NY where my fiance grew up, I'm definitely not a native! I moved around a lot in my life so I don't really have a home base and I think that's what is making it so difficult to pick a wedding location. Plus, I don't love where we currently live and the only tie I have to it is my fiance.

So I'm thinking to have the ceremony in WDW with as much family (probably mostly mine) & friends that can make the trip, then have a reception back in NY. Plus, we both met when we were WDW CMs so it seems to make a lot of sense! (In my mind anyway...fiance isn't as big of a Disney lover like I am!;)) This will keep a lot of costs down, and if I'm going to ask my family to travel, I'd rather to be to WDW than farm country! :rotfl:

Ok so enough rambling and on to my questions! I really don't have any kind of guest count yet, but does anyone know anything about the Garden Grove as a lunch/dinner "reception" restaurant? I've tried to contact who I thought was the right person but I have yet to receive any replies. Anyone know anything about menus, prices, policies, etc? Any insight would be wonderful.

Has anyone done a Drink Around the World thing before or after the wedding? How did it go? Seems like it would be super fun, except it does make it a little harder because everyone would need park tickets.

Also, we LOVE Wilderness Lodge. Has anyone had any wedding pictures there? We like the Boardwalk, but Wilderness Lodge is much more our style. I was interested in doing a First Look, but my fiance is dead set against it. Is there anyway to do pictures after the ceremony there, then go back for a meal? Or would it make sense to do them the morning after maybe? Not sure how to work that out!

Hope everyone's wedding planning is going wonderfully! :goodvibes

MrsDuck had a fantastic experience with her reception at Garden Grove. I hope she'll be along soon to tell you about it.

We did hit up the Food & Wine Festival with some of our guests both before and after the wedding, but it wasn't officially for a "drinking around the world" event. I'd say about 25% of our guests didn't buy park tickets at all, so we purposely did not plan any scheduled, wedding-related events at Epcot.

I think that taking pictures at the Wilderness Lodge would take a lot of time between your ceremony and reception. Doing that the morning after isn't a bad idea, if you don't mind getting back in to your wedding attire and re-doing hair and makeup. You could also plan your reception for maybe Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge or the Hoop Dee Doo Revue at Fort Wilderness, which would give you a good reason to head over to that area after your ceremony.

I was interested in doing a First Look, but my fiance is dead set against it. Is there anyway to do pictures after the ceremony there, then go back for a meal? Or would it make sense to do them the morning after maybe? Not sure how to work that out!

What if you did one of those "no peeking" first looks where you hold hands around a corner? Also, have your fiance listen to this episode of the Disney Wedding Podcast, where a groom talks about how glad he was to do a first look and how his bride still took his breath away when he spotted her walking down the aisle later... ;) http://disneyweddingpodcast.com/2013/08/21/adding-first-look-photos-to-your-wedding-day/

Just wanted to chime in on the room blocks. We have chosen to do a room block at the Swan, and even with our usual discounts, the rate we were quoted was much better than any other discount. I was also hesitant about doing a room block because I had read not so great things about it on this board and the Facebook page. After calling, it seemed pretty standard and we decided it would work just fine for us. No credit card info was taken from us at the time we signed our contract, but there is a cut off date and if our rooms are not full, we will have a penalty fee which my future in laws have decided to risk paying so I'm not worrying about it. I would say if you are at all interested in doing it, call and get the info from the horse's mouth because this was the first time I'd heard information online that was very different than what the hotel offered.

I had my reception at Garden Grove and we had a BLAST!! Please feel free to check out my planning journal or ask any questions!

Quick Question as I left my Wedding Passporter book in my car that is in the shop today. I just called Disney Catered Events about adding on a Wishes Dessert Party after my Swan Wedding. The woman I spoke with said that if I wanted to wear my dress to the party then I would have to book through Disney Fairytale Weddings and meet their Food/Bev minimums which are much higher than just the site fee that is listed in the Passporter. Has anyone done this? Is this correct?

Quick Question as I left my Wedding Passporter book in my car that is in the shop today. I just called Disney Catered Events about adding on a Wishes Dessert Party after my Swan Wedding. The woman I spoke with said that if I wanted to wear my dress to the party then I would have to book through Disney Fairytale Weddings and meet their Food/Bev minimums which are much higher than just the site fee that is listed in the Passporter. Has anyone done this? Is this correct?
I know one of our girls, Teresa (icecoldpenguin), had a DP thru Catered Events. She wore a wedding dress (not the one for her ceremony/reception - this one was a little more casual) and did not even need to discuss a thing with DFTW. Granted, this was in 2012.

Perhaps things have changed... for the worse.

This is what Just Marry told me. "If you are hosting your wedding outside of Disney Fairytale Weddings, you will not be allowed to wear your wedding dress to the Grand Floridian. Any locations that Disney Fairytale Weddings have ceremony sites-you will be unable to wear your wedding dress. Such a unfortunate ordeal we have to abide by."

This is what Just Marry told me. "If you are hosting your wedding outside of Disney Fairytale Weddings, you will not be allowed to wear your wedding dress to the Grand Floridian. Any locations that Disney Fairytale Weddings have ceremony sites-you will be unable to wear your wedding dress. Such a unfortunate ordeal we have to abide by."
That unfortunately does sound like a familiar rule. :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter