Susan G Komen 3day

natale1980

"When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me!"..
Hi Guys!

Have any of you ever walked the 3day? Me and my friend will be doing it for the first time in August. I signed up last Friday and will be attending a meeting tonight.
I have lots of questions. Right now most of them are about raising money. How did you do it? We have a goal of $2,300 each.

Please tell me about your experiences.
Or if you want to donate there is a link in my signature :rolleyes1 even $1 would help.

Thanks!
nat

I have give some thought to doing this walk, but I am intimidated by the amount of money that you have to raise. I have a friend at work who did it a few times and she did fundraising all year round for this. She sold candy bars at school (we both work in the public school), had yard sales, raffles, craft sales... not sure everything she did. I can certainly see myself being able to raise maybe $500... but she told me that you are REQUIRED to raise at least $2K per person. That just seems like a lot of work for me and I am not in a position right now where I have a lot of time to do fundraising. I already do fundraising for DD's swim team and DS's Robotics team... that is enough for right now.

BTW, I could be wrong about this, but you might get in trouble for having that link for donations. I'm sure that plenty of people here would love to help you, but I'm not sure if it is "legal" within the Disboard rules to have that link. You might want to check on that. .............P

I have give some thought to doing this walk, but I am intimidated by the amount of money that you have to raise. I have a friend at work who did it a few times and she did fundraising all year round for this. She sold candy bars at school (we both work in the public school), had yard sales, raffles, craft sales... not sure everything she did. I can certainly see myself being able to raise maybe $500... but she told me that you are REQUIRED to raise at least $2K per person. That just seems like a lot of work for me and I am not in a position right now where I have a lot of time to do fundraising. I already do fundraising for DD's swim team and DS's Robotics team... that is enough for right now.

BTW, I could be wrong about this, but you might get in trouble for having that link for donations. I'm sure that plenty of people here would love to help you, but I'm not sure if it is "legal" within the Disboard rules to have that link. You might want to check on that. .............P

The amount of money does seem like alot. That's why I'm hoping some Disers would help out, just $1 at a time.
If you don't raise the money in time you have to promise to pay it yourself or not participate in the walk. I've already made several phone calls to my city and have a few possibilities lined up. One that we are going to do for sure is have a garage sale where 100% of the money will go to Breast Cancer research.

Before I posted the link, I emailed Webmaster Corey, he said it was ok :thumbsup2

-nat

The amount of money does seem like alot. That's why I'm hoping some Disers would help out, just $1 at a time.
If you don't raise the money in time you have to promise to pay it yourself or not participate in the walk. I've already made several phone calls to my city and have a few possibilities lined up. One that we are going to do for sure is have a garage sale where 100% of the money will go to Breast Cancer research.

Before I posted the link, I emailed Webmaster Corey, he said it was ok :thumbsup2

-nat

Glad they gave you the thumbs up for the link!

I had a fundraising yardsale a few years ago to benefit the treatment for a young boy in a neighboring town who needed a controversial treatment for a brain cancer. I contacted everyone I knew to donate "stuff", plus I put an ad in the local papers that I would come pick up significant donations at people's homes. I put a flier in all of my neighbor's mail boxes. I advertised everywhere I could. I stored EVERYTHING at my house for the time leading up to the yardsale (in my dining and living room... we didn't have a garage at the time). I did get some help from some neighbors (I couldn't have done it alone!!). We borrowed tables from everyone we could and pretty much blocked off my street like a block party. We did a one day yard sale (and the weather was WONDERFUL) from about 7 am to 1pm (this was of course, after spending lots of time sorting stuff and cleaning stuff and pricing stuff)... and raised a bit over $1,000!! We were THRILLED with the amount we made. We really priced the stuff to SELL. I always figured I'd rather have a $1 for it than to have to drag it to the dump at the end of the day! And I live in the BOONDOCKS.... I can't imagine how well we would have done if it was somewhere more on the beaten path.

Another time (a few years later) I organized another fundraising yard sale for church. Again, I held the donations at my house leading up to the yardsale day. We rented the local hall ($10/day) and had some guys with trucks bring everything to the hall the night before. We had a one day indoor yard sale in the early spring and raised a bit over $1,000 again.

This might be a good time to hit people up for donations of "stuff" as they are starting their spring cleaning. Just be prepared to accept donations of JUNK that needs to go straight to the landfill. Be wary of accepting things that you will have to PAY to dump if it doesn't sell (mattresses, construction leftovers like windows, electronics, large appliances). Maybe you should get a list from your local transfer station before you start accepting donations.

Consider selling things "by the bag" so that you don't have to price everything. "Fill a bag for $_____" really gets things moving and is good for things like books and clothes and linens.

Sorry for rambling. I wish you GREAT success with your fundraising and your walking!................P

What a great idea!
I'll work on the flier this weekend! Our city has a 'city wide' sale and I already contacted them, they said they would wave the $20 fee for registration. I hope we do as well as you did!

-nat

I walked this last year in DC. I am signed up for DS again, but I will likely change to another city once my son's football schedule is posted. Eventually, I would like to do the walk in every city.

I was lucky with my fundraising. Family and friends contributed. My husband was able to get matching funds for some of the donations. Once I had a bit of "seed" money, I bought a $60 gift card for the local grocery chain and raffled that off. This year I have a $60 Macy's card to raffle. I found that most people will give if you ask them. People will surprise you. Some of my largest contributions came from people I did not think could afford it. After the event I had several people ask my why I did not ask them to donate!! You can be sure they are on the list this year. :thumbsup2

You will likely find the 3Day to be an incredible journey and want to do it over again.

Thanks for finding out about putting that link in your siggie. I didn't think I could, so I just put the walker logo in mine. I will have to think about changing that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter