• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Survey: AP blockout dates after new attractions open?

Maybe they will phase out APs like they did NE tickets. Everyone has to pay every time they want to go to a park for a 14 day period.

are you @#$(*@#$*@#($*#@ kidding me?!?!?!?!?!?

BTW I didn't get this survey, do you happen to have an AP that has blackout dates on the AP itself? if they want to block AP holders, open the attraction while an AP is blacked out...
I have the Gold AP.

They're trying to determine if Silver and Weekday pass holders will come in the summer despite their blockout dates to see Soarin, Fro-Way, the new MK show, etc etc and if so, how will they do it.

They just lifted the summer blockouts for the 3 and 4 day FL tickets, I really don't see them adding more to any level of AP.
I would assume that is the case as well... I know they are presently pushing that for $170 you can upgrade from Silver to Gold so you don't miss the awaken summer promotion/new attractions opening

I shudder to see how much more the price jumps and how many more blackout dates come with it October 1st when the new rates come up {I'm due for renewal 10/31 and I'm kind of pondering renewing a month early to avoid that/be grandfathered into the present tickets/be able to book FP+ for my trip 60 days out for Wine and Dine}

I have the Gold AP.

ok so they sent this survey to ap holders that have blockout dates on their ap. I have a platinum without them and didn't see this survey.

That's really messed up if this one happens. I completely understand if they launch something when it's a blockout period, you purchased the ap knowing those dates.

I got the survey and I don't have any block out days (premier?). I wondered about the questions as well!

ok so they sent this survey to ap holders that have blockout dates on their ap. I have a platinum without them and didn't see this survey.

That's really messed up if this one happens. I completely understand if they launch something when it's a blockout period, you purchased the ap knowing those dates.
I feel the same way. It's acceptable to offer a product at a lower price point, but with more restrictions. It's not acceptable to add "surprise" blockout dates that weren't communicated at the time of purchase. :scared:

My AP goes back to last August so I have no blackouts and I got this survey as well.

There were plenty of fluff questions like the OP accurately quoted. But there were also plenty of opportunities to describe WDW as "greedy", "too expensive", "not worth it", etc. etc.

There were numerous questions where they wanted a little written explanation when you gave an answer that was less than stellar. There was also a question or two regarding other theme parks - UO, Sea World, Busch and your impressions of them and their value.

One question even asked if you brought your own food and drink to the parks.

I just took the newest AP survey & there was an "interesting" set of questions.

If your pass type was blocked out for about two months after a new attraction, parade, or show opened for the first time...
  • Would you buy regular park admission to visit while your pass was blocked out?
  • Would you upgrade to a pass type that wasn't blocked out during those dates?
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wonder how they'd block me from watching a parade once I'm in the park? If they wanted to block AP holders from riding a ride or seeing a show, then they'd have to have everyone scan their MB or show their ticket to entire said ride. That seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

I suppose they COULD program MDE to disallow an AP holder from booking a FP for a new attraction if they wanted to.

ETA: I read the question as blacking out an AP holder access to just the new ride or attraction, not the whole park (because my only AP experience has been with a pass that has no black out dates).

I think that's the question they're asking. They aren't talking about adding new blackout dates based on opening new attractions. Rather, they're asking if your existing pass is blacked out when a new attraction opens, will you upgrade?

This is a capacity planning question, not a "squeeze more money out 'em" question.

Not everyone. I have a Gold AP and I didn't get the survey.

So much for the days when AP holders got first "dibs" on a new attraction…I remember when Mission Space had a "soft" opening, and AP holders were allowed to ride…we rode it over and over again, to the point of being ill. Ah…good times. ;)
Yep I remember when Splash Mountain had a soft opening for AP holders too.....those were the days

I feel the same way. It's acceptable to offer a product at a lower price point, but with more restrictions. It's not acceptable to add "surprise" blockout dates that weren't communicated at the time of purchase. :scared:

I think people are confused about the questions,they're simply asking mostly those with silver or weekday AP's if they would upgrade their AP's or buy regular park admission to see the new attractions introduced during the summer,to me there's nothing sinister about asking this question.They're not adding any blackout dates to a pass or anything like that,in fact all they've done when they introduced the new AP's a couple of months ago was add a new AP level(gold) giving people more options.To me the silver(old seasonal)works for me as I have AP's to all the other parks in the area that don't have blackout dates and summer park touring is not exactly my favorite.I'm 4 hours away in south Florida and I might be moving to Central Florida in the next year or so and even if I do I don't see me having the need to upgrade the pass,visiting in Christmas would be the only reason I would upgrade,I'm more likely to just get the 2 waterpark AP to complement my silver AP to use in the summer,waterparks are simply the best place to be during these months,you don't even feel the heat as you go in and out of the water.

I think people are confused about the questions,they're simply asking mostly those with silver or weekday AP's if they would upgrade their AP's or buy regular park admission to see the new attractions introduced during the summer,to me there's nothing sinister about asking this question.

Disney has a history that when it's in a survey, it happens. I think Pete Werner describes it as disney is softening the blow of bad news. A recent example was asking about tiered ticket prices and that happened. It's going to happen, the question is when are APs going to change again and what will not be opened by that time.

The timing is interesting also. What exactly is going to open by the end of 2017 that they think helping the crowds is pushing some AP holders a couple months to see it. What rides are not even on our radar that might quickly be added/revamped that it's even a question on the survey. If pandora opens in spring and APs can't do it for 2 months, that makes it so summer crowd collides with ap holders. Is pandora going faster and we're looking at late winter and they want to push AP holders into april? Can toy story land open by the end of 2017? Is there a mass amount of people expected to get an AP soon or need to renew and they want to get it out sooner so they can put rivers of light into it too?

This survey has be wondering a lot of things.

I just took the newest AP survey & there was an "interesting" set of questions.

If your pass type was blocked out for about two months after a new attraction, parade, or show opened for the first time...
  • Would you buy regular park admission to visit while your pass was blocked out?
  • Would you upgrade to a pass type that wasn't blocked out during those dates?
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Universal sort of does this with their cheaper annual passes for Florida residents. For example, this summer Islands of Adventure is blocked out (New Kong ride). Last summer, Universal was blocked out (Diagon Alley).

Of course, Universal does not block out all their parks like Disney does -- at least you get to go to one park on the less expensive annual pass.

Disney may be considering blocking out annual passes when big new rides open in hopes of passholders buying a regular ticket, but its probably more a concern over the crush of crowds since they have been so slow to roll out new attractions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter