Surprising the Kids with a NYE Trip! Jan '16 PTR (Update 12/29 We're off! See ya in 10 days!)

Well, this week we had some MAJOR edits to our plan! The first thing that happened was on Tuesday night when my MIL called and dropped a bomb. The Bear Family, who we were supposed to go visit and who were going to travel with us, are MOVING!! :eek: And soon! Like, this summer soon!! We're excited because it means that they'll be closer to us and the rest of our family but that obviously means that we will no longer be doing the Southern Florida leg of the trip. I'm pretty sure that also means that they will NOT be traveling to Disney with us but as we've all learned, never say never! But as of now, its going to be an nuclear family only trip. I'm just glad they told us before we booked our flights!

Which brings me to the next big piece of news! WE BOOKED OUR FLIGHTS!!! :jumping1: So Southwest released their flights this morning through Jan. 4. This wasn't a big deal because Southwest doesn't necessarily book "round trip" flights anyway so we figured we could just purchase one leg now and the return leg when the rest of January came out in June. Eric couldn't sleep last night (he's a night owl) so he stayed up stalking the SW page until 3:00 am when he finally gave up. I woke up around 6:00 am and decided to hop on the site to see what was available. Well, all the Wanna Get Away rates were gone, if there were any to begin with, and just the departing flight was going to be $562 per person! :scared1: I was so bummed! I woke up Eric to see what to do. He said he'd seen round trip flights on Delta for $540 so that was a no-brainer. We got on the Delta website and hemmed and hawed over when we should leave. I wanted to leave on the 29th on the redeye and get in to MCO at 6:00 am on the 30th but Eric wasn't too keen on the idea. He wanted to leave on the 30th on a later flight that would have us in at 11:00 pm. I DID NOT want to do that and loose a whole day! There was another flight that would get us in at 4:30 pm on the 30th but that one was $100 more each! We were also trying to figure out if we could use our flyer miles... well at the price of $540 we would *probably* be able to use them. Our miles program allows you to "erase" a total bill but not a partial bill with miles. Our miles were close so it was possible that we'd be able to get two tickets free. So I said "Look. I know the redeye isn't ideal but it could save us $1000! If not, it at least saves us $400." Eric likes to save money so that convinced him so he said "Book it!" :banana: In order to use our miles effectively I had to book 2 of us on one transaction and 2 of us on another transaction. Well, when I went to book the first one, it gave us a message "Your flight is no longer available at that price. The price has been adjusted to $490." :cool1: Are you KIDDING ME?!! AWESOME!! :cool1: So, not only were we able to get two of the tickets free using miles, the other two came in at under $1000!! We had budgeted $2500 for the flights, I had been praying that we wouldn't have to pay more than $1600 but God decided to one up me and we got our tickets for $986!! :dance3:SERIOUSLY!!! I still can't believe it. Plus, we won't have the added expense of a rental car so there's THAT too! I'm sad that The Bear Family won't be joining us but all in all, these changes have saved us around $2000. So, yah. ::yes::

Any case, I couldn't be happier that another portion of our trip is booked, and paid for! So happy in fact, I'm going to torture you with more old Disney World photos from 1994. So, in honor of TBT:

1994 Epcot-2.jpg
I don't know why but my mom wrote on about 80% of our family photos before sticking them in an old-school album - you know the kind - with the sticky back and cellophane cover?

1994 Epcot.jpg
Good 'ol Horizons! RIP. Check out those old Disney strollers too!

1994 Epcot-1.jpg
Could our fanny packs and glasses cords BE any cooler?! :scared1: :faint: :laughing:

Okay, that's all folks! Thanks for stopping by once again! :goodvibes

That is amazing for cross country flights!!!! Score!! I'm a fan of the red eye when going west to east... Hopefully you can get a nap in and then try to get on east coast time!

So exciting, sad your family won't join you but hopefully you'll be able to see them more now that they are moving closer!

Love the old school photos! Strollers :rotfl2:

That is amazing for cross country flights!!!! Score!! I'm a fan of the red eye when going west to east... Hopefully you can get a nap in and then try to get on east coast time!

So exciting, sad your family won't join you but hopefully you'll be able to see them more now that they are moving closer!

Love the old school photos! Strollers :rotfl2:

That's what I figured about the redeye - I'd rather get the jet lag over and done with the first day. I know we probably won't be able to check in until 4:00 pm but I figure we can maybe hit up Magic Kingdom (I really want to see the Christmas parade!) then go back and lounge by the pool until our room is ready then take a long nap before dinner and get back to the MK for Fantasy in the Sky. HOPEFULLY its a nice day!

Those strollers!! lol! Our kids have no idea how good they have it with their Cadillac strollers and first class car seats!

Awesome news on the flights! I get so stoked when I can get a good rate, especially around a holiday like that. I booked our upcoming trip at 5 AM from our hotel in Denver and got a GREAT price Buffalo -> MCO that completely evaporated a few hours later. Less than $200 RT, and we booked 2 of 3 flights on points, meaning we spent <$200 on flights!

Southwest is brutal when it comes to the holiday flights. We booked flights to Arizona around the same time to Arizona last year and were able to get about $450 RT right when they went on sale. The prices never went down, just went up and up and up. Other times of year you'll see occasionally cheaper flights as time goes on, but not the holidays. SWA used to open up the flights around 9 AM eastern time, but now do it around 7 AM eastern time, which is probably why you got screwed out of them. West coasters have to get up pretty early to take advantage of those early fares! We have plans to go out again next February during our spring break, so we know that'll be a grab 'em ASAP.

Thanks! Getting a good rate on flights can really make or break a trip since you're really at the mercy of the market. As opposed to park tickets/meals/hotel that you can pretty much budget & save for. I can't believe you only had to spend $200 for your next trip! That's AWESOME!

Southwest is brutal when it comes to the holiday flights

Holy cow, yes! The rest of December had rates right around $180... Christmas week it jumped to $562 one way!!

SWA used to open up the flights around 9 AM eastern time, but now do it around 7 AM eastern time, which is probably why you got screwed out of them.

Darn! We missed the window by one hour!!

We have plans to go out again next February during our spring break, so we know that'll be a grab 'em ASAP.

I think the website said that flights through March will be released in June! Good luck! (And wow, your spring break is early!)

Last edited:

I think the website said that flights through March will be released in June! Good luck! (And wow, your spring break is early!)

Yeah, June 30th. That'll be perfect, as we are hoping to combine a visit to my mom in AZ with a DL trip. (Now that we are DVC hoping to get a couple nights at the Grand Californian.) :cool1: I recently discovered it is a mere 6 hour drive between the two.

I shouldn't really call it "Spring Break". We get a week of winter break in February and then usually another week around Easter, which is actual spring break. With easter being in March next year, it's quite possible they may push Spring Break into April though. We could do April, but lower crowds and lower points in February, plus we get out of the cold. June 30th is perfect for booking flights, because DVC booking window will open in July.

Yeah, June 30th. That'll be perfect, as we are hoping to combine a visit to my mom in AZ with a DL trip. (Now that we are DVC hoping to get a couple nights at the Grand Californian.) :cool1: I recently discovered it is a mere 6 hour drive between the two.

I shouldn't really call it "Spring Break". We get a week of winter break in February and then usually another week around Easter, which is actual spring break. With easter being in March next year, it's quite possible they may push Spring Break into April though. We could do April, but lower crowds and lower points in February, plus we get out of the cold. June 30th is perfect for booking flights, because DVC booking window will open in July.

Oooh fun! A Disneyland trip! The Grand Californian looks so cool. :cool1:

Well... THIS just happened!

Screenshot_2015-05-19-12-58-24.png

Yay for Magical Express! This is going to be the first time we've ever been able to use the luggage tags too. We've always arrived way too late so I'm kind of excited about that!

That is all! Thanks for stopping by!

Yay for ME! I actually just signed up for it today. As a DVC owner, you get no confirmation that you've successfully signed up until your tags show up. Goofy I know. Since we have a split stay, we have to sign up twice: once for arrival, and again for departure. Hopefully it all works flawlessly. One of my favorite things about these trip is the direct to room bags. Combine with SWA letting you take two bags, we always pack a ton of stuff for Disney! (And at least one empty suitcase for the trip back.

Yay for Magical Express! This is going to be the first time we've ever been able to use the luggage tags too. We've always arrived way too late so I'm kind of excited about that!

That is all! Thanks for stopping by!
Thrilled for you on both the Magical Express and the luggage tags! :smickey:

Yay for ME! I actually just signed up for it today. As a DVC owner, you get no confirmation that you've successfully signed up until your tags show up. Goofy I know. Since we have a split stay, we have to sign up twice: once for arrival, and again for departure. Hopefully it all works flawlessly. One of my favorite things about these trip is the direct to room bags. Combine with SWA letting you take two bags, we always pack a ton of stuff for Disney! (And at least one empty suitcase for the trip back.

Yes! I noticed that on their email they said that DVC ME reservations no longer show up with your other resies. So I guess that means they used to? Do you know why they changed that? Seems silly to me but oh well! It's not like we won't make it to the resort or anything! Lol!

That's one thing I'm going to miss about SWA. Flying Delta @ $25 per bag... ouch! I'm going to have to pack like a ninja for our large suitcase and everyone's going to have their cary-on + personal item!

Yes! I noticed that on their email they said that DVC ME reservations no longer show up with your other resies. So I guess that means they used to? Do you know why they changed that? !

I've only been DVC for a year, so that's the only way I've known it. From what they explained to me, ME is part of parks which is a different entity from DVC. Why they can't communicate I don't know. Our first trip we had no problems with ME. I'm a little nervous for the whole split stay bit, and whether that botches ME. If the stuff doesn't show in the mail 30 days out, I'll be giving them a call.

That's one thing I'm going to miss about SWA. Flying Delta @ $25 per bag... ouch! I'm going to have to pack like a ninja for our large suitcase and everyone's going to have their cary-on + personal item!

I know, it's such a difference. Last year when we went we headed almost directly to the park, so I tried to convinc DW to go no carry-on. She couldn't do it. SW makes that possible...with all other airlines you have to load up those carryons!

I AM curious to see how a ninja packs! I would think lots of black.

We used to do one checked bag per person and one backpack, it is too unwieldy for us now dealing with the chair too, it's just too much to have big carry ons. Now we put almost everything in the luggage and then just carry tiny carry ons and electronics.
Good luck ninja packing!

I AM curious to see how a ninja packs! I would think lots of black.

Very, very quietly :ssst: :rotfl2:

Now we put almost everything in the luggage and then just carry tiny carry ons and electronics.

^^ This is how I LIKE to pack! I hate taking cary-ons! But... I ordered a new bag (because i'm a bagoholic) and it's on it's way so we'll see if it might work as a good cary-on. If it is, I might order one for everyone... or at least the kids. If I ask Eric if he wants one, he'll say no then just try to steal mine! Lol!

The fanny packs are fantastic! Congrats on the flights! We're driving because the cheapest I could find was over $300 EACH way. That times 5 people is insanity!

That's great news on your flights! :yay: It's wonderful when things end up better than you expected!

Hooray for your ME reservation as well. I think you'll love the luggage service - we're big fans. :thumbsup2

I used the luggage service this trip for the first time and found it great! Pack a change of clothes and you'll be fine. It was nice to not have to worry about the bags.

The fanny packs are fantastic! Congrats on the flights! We're driving because the cheapest I could find was over $300 EACH way. That times 5 people is insanity!

Holy cow! If driving were an option for us I'm sure we'd consider it. Flights are so stinking expensive!

I totally remember having a meltdown about wearing that stupid fanypack! :rotfl2:My mom basically forced us to wear them (although now that i'm a mom, aka Family Pack Horse, I totally understand why ;) ) and I was so worried "someone" would see me and deem me a dork... who my 13 year old self thought that "someone" might be, I don't know! Lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter