Supercallifragilistic-ADR'sApproachUs! May '09 PTR *Trip Report has Begun! Pg. 208*

:scared1: :scared1: :scared1: I can barely stand 4 hrsw in a car... i don't think I'd ever be abole to do that LL!! At least you have lots of recovery time:worship: :worship: :worship:
Well, we'll be so excited to get to Disney that it will push us through. I'm not too worried about me, I am more worried about Marc wimping out. He doesn't do well with driving when he is even slightly tired. Pfffft. ;)

I give you credit for doing that in 24 hours. :scared1:

We made one stop last year when we drove, and even that was rough. My father was falling asleep at the wheel on the way home. Very scary. When I was a kid we always stopped 2 nights. There are just so many flat states with just mile after mile of nothing to look at but trees. It's just hypnotic.

I give you credit for doing that in 24 hours. :scared1:

We made one stop last year when we drove, and even that was rough. My father was falling asleep at the wheel on the way home. Very scary. When I was a kid we always stopped 2 nights. There are just so many flat states with just mile after mile of nothing to look at but trees. It's just hypnotic.

Hopefully we can do it, you are all scaring me now! :scared1:

We didn't make any overnight stops in 2003. It was just really tiring and cramped in space but we had four adults in a tiny car.

If your sharing the driving it might be better. My father on the other hand stubbornly refused to let anyone else touch the wheel. Men!

My first trip to Florida was in 1979 in the family wagon. It was my mom and dad, my brother and I, and my grandmother and aunt. (My brother and I actually sat in the far back of the station wagon the whole way with all the luggage - how times have changed!). My aunt was coming with us to Disney, and we were dropping my grandmother off at a friend's house. That was crazy cramped. I actually found some pictures from that trip last night. I remember going to the Stars Hall of Fame Wax museum in St. Augustine, along with the Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum. I bet those are long gone. I still have not gotten over the sadness that I never got to go to Circus World to learn how to fly on the trapezee. I know that closed years ago.

Since people are sharing their driving stories LL I will tell you about the first time I went to Disney World. My family and another family who are such close friends that they are family drove down to Florida. Well thats not so bad you are thinking well there were 12 of us all together and one of then was 7 or 8 months pregnant. We went to Circus World, WDW and Cypress Gardens. We also visited some other friends in Florida and Louisanna. I don't really remember us being that cramped though I am sure we were. I was only 6 at the time.

Since people are sharing their driving stories LL I will tell you about the first time I went to Disney World. My family and another family who are such close friends that they are family drove down to Florida. Well thats not so bad you are thinking well there were 12 of us all together and one of then was 7 or 8 months pregnant. We went to Circus World, WDW and Cypress Gardens. We also visited some other friends in Florida and Louisanna. I don't really remember us being that cramped though I am sure we were. I was only 6 at the time.

Circus World! I'm so jealous!!!

What kind of vehicle did you go in? It must have been crowded. Funny how those things don't phase you when you are 6.

Circus World! I'm so jealous!!!

What kind of vehicle did you go in? It must have been crowded. Funny how those things don't phase you when you are 6.

I don't really remember alot from Circus World except that some lady walked by my brother and stuck some stuffed animal into his hands and kept walking. It was new and had the tags on it. I was so jealous that he got something and I didn't.

We rode down in my parents van. It had a long bench seat down each side in the back along with a little closet and a sink. I remeber that the seats in the back didn't have and seat belts. Also the seats in the back turned into a bed. All of us slept in sleeping bags on the bed and the smaller kids slept on the floor. We drove mostly at night. I also remeber that we left on my moms bday (12/27) and left Florida to come back on (1/10) because that was one of the other kids bday. Isn't funny the things you remember?

Glad to hear about adding an extra night!!! I think you two can DEFINITELY do it!!! I am sure there is some beverages or something that can help keep you awake!!! The Disney Adrenaline helps so much too!!! So sad that you won't be swinging through my way---but I hope you have a fun road trip nevertheless!

8 nights!! That is fabulous!! You and Marc are going to have the best time ever!!

To reassure you, Phillip and I do all night (straight-thru) drives across the country at least 2 times a year with no problems. I take small naps and then keep him company at night to keep him awake or he'll listen to music and then we trade off ever 3-4 hours so he can take a nap too...so its very doable!!!

You guys are going to have a great trip and I can't wait to hear more about it!!!!!

I drive straight thru every time we go to Disney (or anywhere for that matter) the time in the car with all the kids asleep is a priceless comodity! I usually do it alone and just pull an all nighter with lots of diet pepsi and energy drinks!

I am seeing pink elephants by the time we get there but in my mind it is so worth the effort!

I am so happy you are staying at POR - I can't remember if I have told you that yet or not - I just love it there!

Wow LL you're driving now?! With gas and potty breaks (and don't confuse the 2) it took us about 24 hrs total on the way down and 23 on the way home. Its really a straight shot once you get past NJ. Make sure you start your toll money fund!

Once you renew your AAA membership, request a TripTik. We had this, plus a regular road map and our GPS. Made me feel much safer to travel that distance! They will also give you tour books with nearest hotels and information that is also very handy to have. :thumbsup2

One thing we learned about that fuel cost website, is that it takes the cheapest gas in that area. Usually the gas right off the highway is about 10-15 cents higher. Keep that in mind :goodvibes

The no restraints packing is a major plus, especially on your way home you can fit so many more souvies! :rotfl:

Come on everyone, no enabling LL. She'll be wishing she flew because the drive is going to cost her so much more in souvies.:rotfl:

If your sharing the driving it might be better. My father on the other hand stubbornly refused to let anyone else touch the wheel. Men!
My dad is like that. He hates letting anyone else drive but then boo hoo's about having to do it all himself. Pfffft. Men.

We drove down in an RV when I was 5. It was my grandparents, my parents, my brother, my uncle and myself. I don't remember it being that bad, except for the whole got the chicken pox while at Disney thing! :headache:

Glad to hear about adding an extra night!!! I think you two can DEFINITELY do it!!! I am sure there is some beverages or something that can help keep you awake!!! The Disney Adrenaline helps so much too!!! So sad that you won't be swinging through my way---but I hope you have a fun road trip nevertheless!

8 nights!! That is fabulous!! You and Marc are going to have the best time ever!!

To reassure you, Phillip and I do all night (straight-thru) drives across the country at least 2 times a year with no problems. I take small naps and then keep him company at night to keep him awake or he'll listen to music and then we trade off ever 3-4 hours so he can take a nap too...so its very doable!!!

You guys are going to have a great trip and I can't wait to hear more about it!!!!!
I think I should take the first shift of driving, since I'm working that day. Get myself good and tired and let Marc take over for a bit.

I drive straight thru every time we go to Disney (or anywhere for that matter) the time in the car with all the kids asleep is a priceless comodity! I usually do it alone and just pull an all nighter with lots of diet pepsi and energy drinks!

I am seeing pink elephants by the time we get there but in my mind it is so worth the effort!

I am so happy you are staying at POR - I can't remember if I have told you that yet or not - I just love it there!
See, I don't drink coffee or energy drinks. I'm going to have to find something to help me through! I am really looking forward to staying at POR, it's going to be lots of fun.

Wow LL you're driving now?! With gas and potty breaks (and don't confuse the 2) it took us about 24 hrs total on the way down and 23 on the way home. Its really a straight shot once you get past NJ. Make sure you start your toll money fund!

Once you renew your AAA membership, request a TripTik. We had this, plus a regular road map and our GPS. Made me feel much safer to travel that distance! They will also give you tour books with nearest hotels and information that is also very handy to have. :thumbsup2

One thing we learned about that fuel cost website, is that it takes the cheapest gas in that area. Usually the gas right off the highway is about 10-15 cents higher. Keep that in mind :goodvibes

The no restraints packing is a major plus, especially on your way home you can fit so many more souvies! :rotfl:
I'm budgeting a little over what they calculating for fuel anyways so we should be fine. Marc is so excited about that TripTik. Silly man.

NO MORE SOUVIES!! :rotfl: I don't know what came over me in September. I am usually not that into souvenirs, I went a little crazy. I plan to buy a lot less this time around.

Oops!! There goes that budget:rotfl2:
No, No, No. Must stick to the budget!

Come on everyone, no enabling LL. She'll be wishing she flew because the drive is going to cost her so much more in souvies.:rotfl:
:lmao: That's right, no souvie enabling!

I solemnly swear to never complain about my 8-hour drive again! :worship:
:rotfl: If I only lived 8 hours from Disney, I think I would be there once a month. :rolleyes:

See, I don't drink coffee or energy drinks. I'm going to have to find something to help me through! I am really looking forward to staying at POR, it's going to be lots of fun.

LL do you drink tea? My dh worked nights for like 11 years and he said that was the only thing that really helped him stay awake. He tried a ton of stuff but tea worked the best.

We also drive (although not at one go:rotfl: ) and I find that audio books help a lot. Especially if it's one I haven't heard before. And don't rule out power naps at rest stops. Sometimes a good twenty minute nap lets me drive another 6-7 hours.

LL do you drink tea? My dh worked nights for like 11 years and he said that was the only thing that really helped him stay awake. He tried a ton of stuff but tea worked the best.
I don't really care for hot liquids, but then again I don't like iced tea either so there you go. I think I will just drink my soda. I think I will be fine. I'm more worried about my sleepy husband.

We also drive (although not at one go:rotfl: ) and I find that audio books help a lot. Especially if it's one I haven't heard before. And don't rule out power naps at rest stops. Sometimes a good twenty minute nap lets me drive another 6-7 hours.

I :lovestruc audio books! I am going to have to search out some titles that both Marc & I will like. :thumbsup2 I have had to do a power nap or two at a rest stop before. I won't be opposed to that! :goodvibes

I don't really care for hot liquids, but then again I don't like iced tea either so there you go. I think I will just drink my soda. I think I will be fine. I'm more worried about my sleepy husband.

I don't like hot liquids either nor do I like tea. I do love my Mt. Dew though so that is what I drink when we drive from Omaha to Montreal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter