Summer perk - Top of World Lounge open to all members!

Tiger926

DIS Veteran
Just received an email from DVC about a special summer perk for all DVC members (July 8-Aug 25).

For this summer, all DVC members staying at WDW may access the TOTWL on a first-come, first-served basis. Normally you may only visit if you are staying at BLT, so this is a neat perk!

This is awesome, as we have wanted to check it out, but since we have cancelled our BLT reservations as we just can't part from OKW, we didn't think we'd be able to ever check the lounge out! :rotfl:

Happy summer to all! Tiger

is it for all members - or only members staying at a DVC resort on points?

Sorry, I didn't specify. I will change my original message.

All DVC members staying at WDW are eligible to visit the lounge during their stay.

Tiger :)

I think that is a great idea. When we stayed at BLT last summer we went up to TotW a few times and it was usually almost empty. While I wouldn't want to see it get so crowded that people staying at BLT couldn't enjoy it, I also don't want to see it stay so empty that it stops being a DVD member perk and is open to everyone.

New summer perk has Members feeling on 'Top of the World'

From July 8-Aug. 25, 2012, Disney Vacation Club Members staying at any Disney-owned-and-operated hotel at the Walt Disney World® Resort (whether they booked with vacation points or cash) may enjoy access to one of the vacation kingdom's most exclusive spaces: the Top of the World Lounge atop Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort.

The sleekly designed bar and lounge, typically available only to Members staying at Bay Lake Tower, operates from 5 p.m.-midnight daily and offers spectacular rooftop viewing of Wishes™ - the Magic Kingdom® fireworks spectacular - complete with the show's stirring musical soundtrack. The ability to access the lounge has been a frequent request from Members staying at other Walt Disney World Resorts since Bay Lake Tower opened in 2009, and Disney Vacation Club is thrilled to make that "wish" come true during this special summer period.

This perk is available exclusively to Members and those in their traveling party who are staying on that Member's reservation. At least one Member in the traveling party must accompany the group and present his or her current Key to the World card displaying a Disney Vacation Club Membership notation in order to gain admission to the lounge. If the Member's Key to the World card doesn't display a Membership notation, a Disney Vacation Club Member ID is required in addition to the Key to the World card to verify Membership.

Note that Members traveling from other resorts must use Walt Disney World Transportation, as parking will be unavailable to anyone not staying at Bay Lake Tower or Disney's Contemporary Resort. Upon arrival, Members must walk to the Bay Lake Tower main lobby entrance on the ground floor and check in at the Top of the World Lounge desk in the lobby.

This special Top of the World Lounge access is available on a first-come, first-served basis until the lounge reaches capacity. As the lounge is particularly popular during the Magic Kingdom fireworks, arriving as early as possible will give Members the best chance of gaining admission.

Thank you for sharing the information! We will be there (AKV) mid-August and will definately spend an evening there.

I think that this is great for members who are staying elsewhere and wanted a chance to check out the lounge!

I just received the email too! We are so excited and plan to go as well!!!:dance3:

Does anyone have an idea as to HOW early one should arrive?

I cannot help but wonder if Disney is granting this member "wish" with the hope of finally selling through Bay Lake Tower points before Disney's Villas at the Grand Floridian go on sale.

Think of it from a marketing standpoint: members see the lounge and the views it affords and decide that they should add-on a BLT contract.

I certainly want to take advantage of the opportunity, but see it more as a mini open house.

I just received the email too! We are so excited and plan to go as well!!!:dance3:

Does anyone have an idea as to HOW early one should arrive?

depends upon who else takes advantage of this offer.

so would say an hour before the fireworks? too many guests and you don't get the great views of the castle. (spoiled)

I cannot help but wonder if Disney is granting this member "wish" with the hope of finally selling through Bay Lake Tower points before Disney's Villas at the Grand Floridian go on sale.

Think of it from a marketing standpoint: members see the lounge and the views it affords and decide that they should add-on a BLT contract.

I certainly want to take advantage of the opportunity, but see it more as a mini open house.

Not necessarily. You don't have to own BLT points to stay at BLT. And when you do, you have access to the lounge.

They did some promotion thing when it first opened and members could go up there at certain times for some presentation thing.

I am disappointed that they are doing this. Honestly, it won't impact me as we arrive at BLT on 8/25 which is the last day they have listed. However, I hope they don't extend it into our stay. I feel that it was a perk of staying at BLT on points.

I understand the revenue thing though. By limiting the guests, they are limiting their revenue.

If the offer had been made two years ago, I might have agreed with you. But not today. DVD has less than 179,000 points left to sell at BLT. I doubt that DVD is too concerned about trying to close the deal on the last 3% that it can sell to the public.

depends upon who else takes advantage of this offer.

so would say an hour before the fireworks? too many guests and you don't get the great views of the castle. (spoiled)

Yeah, and I'll have two teens with me who may or may not get bored if we are hanging too long. I did figure arriving at the very least an hour before but more like 1 plus. I also read that the lounge accommodates 499 people but only has seating for 77.

Yeah, and I'll have two teens with me who may or may not get bored if we are hanging too long. I did figure arriving at the very least an hour before but more like 1 plus. I also read that the lounge accommodates 499 people but only has seating for 77.

499 includes the outside deck.

DVD has less than 179,000 points left to sell at BLT. I doubt that DVD is too concerned about trying to close the deal on the last 3% that it can sell to the public.

I often come across threads, similar to yours, that mention monthly point and contract sales and total points remaining for the current properties. Where is this information available and how do people know?

Also, do you know where Animal Kingdom Villas is with respect to selling through?

This makes sense. When I was there in June the lounge was pretty empty. It makes sense that they open it to all DVC members. Half of the BLT rooms have balcony views of the fireworks so that may be another reason the crowds were smaller. If the crowds become too large they could use advanced reservations and leave a certain number of spots for BLT guests. The only issue is you need a room key to get into the loby of BLT. Once in the loby the guy at the desk needs to bring you down a hall to the elevator and insert his key to get you to 16. With a lot of extra guest they may need an extra person or they could prop the doors around an hour before the fireworks and just have signs pointing to the elevator and then leave the guy With the key by the elevator.

I often come across threads, similar to yours, that mention monthly point and contract sales and total points remaining for the current properties. Where is this information available and how do people know?

Also, do you know where Animal Kingdom Villas is with respect to selling through?

Information about DVC sales is available on the Orange County Comptroller website (https://officialrecords.occompt.com/recorder/eagleweb/docSearch.jsp). There are several threads on the disboards and DVCNews.

AKV has sold about 5.45 million points to date, and has about 1.8 million more points that can still be sold to the general public. Monthly sales at AKV have been quite strong the last few months (see http://www.dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/financial/1975-monthly-sales-data-for-may-2012) and if sales remain high, AKV might sell out within 15 months or so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter