Summer perk - Top of World Lounge open to all members!

The one thing I read in the annoucement is that the perk is for MEMBERS and guests staying with them and not for renters. It even said that the TOTWL is normally for members staying at BLT on points.

That kind of clarifies the question about renters getting access.

sorta. I guess it depends on the time of year and the CMs. we stayed at BLT in sept. on points from friends (yes, friends we know personally) we were allowed in and, as I stated the CMs were crawling all over us to serve us.. they were THRILLED to have somone to wait on. I guess all the members staying on points at BLT didn't want to spend any money that night. (which is how the TOWL got into this situation in the first place, and why they are opening it up.)
I predict, unless members start going in the lounge for more than a glass of water, taking up tables, and start purchasing drinks and food, rather than BYOB, it will be less and less exclusive, perhaps opening up to BLT cahs guests, or anyone staying at CR.
next will be leasing it out to private parties, and there goes the perk.

DW and I have been to the TOTW 3 times, and have only ordered drinks once. The first time it was really dead, and the service was unbelievable slow. After 20 minutes of waiting for the CM's to finish their 'Shoot the Shxx' at the bar, we picked up ant left. Next time we did order a drink, but the food selection was so scant we passed on food. Third time we just came up to watch the fireworks.

Personally I support opening up the TOTWL to others. But they do need to make it more of destination event, such as a daily drink special (i.e., cheaper), a better food selection, and maybe a lounge act from now and then. I'm not too worried about overcrowding - 500 is a lot of people. Logistics control with the elevators would need to be addressed.

Now worse case scenario - what if TOTWL closes. It won't kill me as I'm not a real big lounge/bar drinker. However, they will need to keep the viewing deck open for BLT owners as I believe the deck is part of the resort as the TOTWL is not.

To make amends for our past, DW and I will support the TOTWL several times this coming Oct trip.

I think the viewing deck would go along with the rental of the lounge. that's kinda the whole point. the deck is being used. people are even bringing their own food and drink to the deck.. the lounge is hurting, so the whole thing is not a money maker.

maybe they should start charging an entrance fee to the deck, which can be exchanged for product in the lounge if you wish. (kind of a "minimum").

for those of us who did purchase drinks in the lounge first, it wouldn't make anydifference. but those who just want to see the fireworks would pay kind of a "user's fee".

this would help make money, and take some of the financial burden off the BLT owners.

The bottom line is, Disney is not receiving enough revenue from TOTWL and that is the reason for the "trial". I will be at BWV during this "trial" but will not visit TOTWL due to the parking restriction. If I am not staying at BLT I cannot see going to TOTWL for Wishes when MK is 600 meters away.

I do not see non-BLT people being asked to leave it if gets too crowded;
1.) If you were trying to get in and turned away, the CM's in charge of the door are not going to tell you how many guests are non-BLT visitors
2.) People who are visiting from non-BLT resorts will be more likely to feel obligated to buy something, and
3.) If someone staying at a different resort is buying lot's of drinks, etc., they will not be asked to leave.

Stephen

I am not happy about this. I will be staying at BLT for a few days in late July. Having the chance to use the Top of the World lounge was really one of the main reasons I booked there. I suspect a lot of people will be checking it out and so I am afraid that now I may not even be able to get in.

Perhaps a better move would have been for them to alternate with some days out of the week for BLT people and the others for everyone - especially during this trial time when no one really knows how many people will be trying to get in.

It will be interested seeing reports on how it is working out once it starts.

The one thing I read in the annoucement is that the perk is for MEMBERS and guests staying with them and not for renters. It even said that the TOTWL is normally for members staying at BLT on points.

That kind of clarifies the question about renters getting access.

When I have rented points in the past it has listed me as a DVC member on the KTTW card. When we have had non-members stay with us it has also listed them as members. (Unless they have changed this) Even renters will be able to gain access to the lounge.

The memo states:
This perk is available exclusively to Members and those in their traveling party who are staying on that Member's reservation. At least one Member in the traveling party must accompany the group and present his or her current Key to the World card displaying a Disney Vacation Club Membership notation in order to gain admission to the lounge. If the Member's Key to the World card doesn't display a Membership notation, a Disney Vacation Club Member ID is required in addition to the Key to the World card to verify Membership.

So if the KTTW still state DVC member on any reservation booked with points the only way you will be able to deny access to non-members is to require an actual membership card for entry.

I sincerely doubt that this "perk" is going to generate as much interest as some people fear. It's actually a nice piece of marketing. They tossed out a bone with this "perk" of access to TotWL for all DVC members, but they also tossed a monkey wrench in the works with the no parking at BLT bit as well. I can see people at VWL taking the boat over to check out the lounge, but that's about it.

It's a pain in the butt to get to/from BLT before and after the fireworks from any other hotel. Depending on the schedule that day, the Epcot monorail might be closing as Wishes starts and Hollywood Studios could already be closed for the night. Animal Kingdom is never open that late. That leaves either a monorail ride or walk to Magic Kingdom for a late night park visit and/or a bus ride with the masses. That's a lot of trouble for a fireworks show and a drink.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter