Suddenly Single

I have NO MILITARY experience whatsoever...but the only hope I have in this country hangs on the fact that the military may be the last source of fair justice in America. If OJ was in the military....Im pretty certain he'd be behind bars instead of writing books and profiting, not only from his crime...but the fact that he got away with his crime.
I hope the military does take care of their own.....when their own deserve to be taken care of. But "their own" is an IFy term....arent we ALL the military's own? Wouldnt the military see a criminal whose ridden on the shirtails of the army or any other branch the same way the captain of a ship would see a stowaway?
They hopefully do take care of their own....but sometimes a soldier's family does as much as the soldier....so the family would be taken care of as well. When a citizen need protection...shouldnt our armed forces be honored to serve and protect?

Sandra, I'm not sure what exactly he did, but it must have been bad. You and your kids are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope everything works out for you. Stay safe and keep us posted.

but in my 27 years as an Army officer

Just out of curiosity how much was what?

I was 36 years officer/enlisted -

22 years NG (About 2 of that activated)
8 years active
6 years break (ING) (resigned my commission when I came back from VN - long story)

In some ways the army does take care of it's own, but not in criminal cases and definitely not when dependants are involved.

By taking care of it's own it usually means more critical judgment not more lenient. Just my experience. If I had to choose, I'd choose a military court every time - at least it would be fair and just and not capricious.

MACV Team MASSTER (correct spelling). I was mostly NW of Saigon near Tay Ninh on the Cambodian border (and sometimes over the border :lmao: ) We were officially headquartered at Tan Sanut.

I was never really with a large unit at all - they had to assign us for admin stuff and support. We were doing some interesting things with REMBAS. Another long story.

GOOD GRIEF - I just realized this was almost 40 years ago!

I did 5 1/2 years active

21 1/2 years reserve split up over 3 separate times with the active duty time in between.

I had about a year in the IRR after my first active duty stint because nobody knew what to do with me, so I used that time to find my own job with the Army. I didn't count that in my reserve time, but I guess it counted for something.

Hey Jim it is none of my business, but I was wondering. Do they give you much of a pension as a reserve?

I know for a fact a full bird with 26 yrs gets around 6k per month pension. I know a retired 2 star with 38 yrs service. Heck he gets 12k per month pension. Only problem is he is too old to enjoy it. LOL But he is a great guy with some really great stories. The guy was in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. He certainly earned his pension.

Sandra,
I'm praying for you and your children. I know it's really not in your control, but please stay safe. We are all here for you. Please let us know if there is any way we can help you. This is one awesome group of really caring individuals. (Hey, some of us have guns, others know people who own crematoriums. ;) :laughing: ) :grouphug:

Hey Jim it is none of my business, but I was wondering. Do they give you much of a pension as a reserve?

I know for a fact a full bird with 26 yrs gets around 6k per month pension. I know a retired 2 star with 38 yrs service. Heck he gets 12k per month pension. Only problem is he is too old to enjoy it. LOL But he is a great guy with some really great stories. The guy was in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. He certainly earned his pension.

Reserve pensions work differently than active duty - we are on a point system, so you earn points for every day you are on duty. So the pension is much less, but still will be more than I made while i was on drill status. There are also medical benefits, which are nice. Unfortuneately, you don't collect any reserve pension until you reach age 60, and since I am only 51, I have to live another 9 years before I see any benefits.

I'm collecting mine, but I'm much older and cuter than Jim. By my calculations, my retirement pay should be around $100,000 a month, but the Army disagrees.

I'm collecting mine, but I'm much older and cuter than Jim. By my calculations, my retirement pay should be around $100,000 a month, but the Army disagrees.

I wouldn't be too proud about being cuter than me - it doesn't take much.

Sandra, I'm speechless.

My prayers are with you.

What level command are you talking about? Company, BN, BDE? My suggestion is that if his commander won't help move up the chain until you get someone who will.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I'm sure you know this, and someone else may have already said this, but dependents don't have to use the chain of command. (They like you to, but you don't have to).

Don't really have any advice, because I did not have the military to deal with. I was just married to a very clever little man who would emotionally and verbally abuse me non-stop until we were in public my mother thought I was making things up at first.

But, as a single woman, especially a mom, you will get through. We are a strong group.

The way it worked for me was auto pilot until I got a job, a safe place to live and distance I just went non-stop, don't know how I did it now, but you just do. So definitely do not make any more important decision than where you will live, because that's hard enough.

Then when all the basics are put in place you go in your room play some 80's pop music as loud as you dare and cry and beat the pillow.

I feel so bad for you, and my thoughts are with you. The more positive things you can say to yourself about yourself the better off you will be. You have to be your biggest fan right now.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

BIG HUG! :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter