• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Subway: Ordering off the menu??

Yes, I think we all understand the point, but the concept definitely seems too difficult for many people. Especially men...the totally confused ones are always men. :laughing:

:lmao: Yeah, men do sometimes have issues with too many choices.

Sounds to me that this is more about customers and not the employees who are just doing their jobs. We love Subway because we can get what we want. I've never had an issue with employees doing what they are trained to do.

Oh no, I "get" that Subway is all about customizing the sandwich. But if you've never been, you might see a sandwich on TV and think "hey that sounds good". So you stop at Subway and order it. It must be really confusing when the person who works at the restaurant "doesn't know how" to make the sandwich on the sign behind him. :confused3 That is their perception. The commercial says "chicken teriyaki sub!" and shows a picture. That is the chicken teriyaki sub, right? You might be in a big hurry during your lunch break when you discover that it's not really.

I'm not saying that I want the meatball to always come with mozzarella and be "standard". Maybe I want cheddar today, too. But if someone's obviously having trouble choosing or doesn't "get" the concept, I don't think it would hurt to ask "Would you like the standard options on that?" I think a lot of them would say yes gladly if they're confused or not sure what they want.

Too funny. Join the DIS to read about WDW and get sucked into Subway. :lmao: Oh well, I'm here now! And next time I have a party, I'll be sure to post about what goes on a ham sandwich!

I don't see it as people don't know what they want on a sandwich. I see it as people may be used to ordering something at many other fast food restaurants and expect that particular item to come made a particular way (like ordering a Chick-Fil-A chicken sandwich. I dot have to tell them which bread and it already comes standard with pickles).

I don't go to Subway often, but I have gone enough times to realize that I need to tell them what I want on my sandwich. When I first started going there, I was perplexed that they wanted me to basically design my sandwich. I had no idea that a "Chicken Onion Teriyaki" sub could be made any kind of way. If there is no particular recipe for a named sandwich, why give it a name. "Ok, I'd like the Chicken Onion Teriyaki sub, give me Italian bread, pepperoni, tuna, pickles, onions and pepper jack cheese". What?

Just like when I visit a restaurant, if I order the "Seafood Pescatore", I don't really have to say anything else in order to get it. It comes a certain way, but if I wanted something different about it, I would request a "change" to a particular ingredient.

Oh no, I "get" that Subway is all about customizing the sandwich. But if you've never been, you might see a sandwich on TV and think "hey that sounds good". So you stop at Subway and order it. It must be really confusing when the person who works at the restaurant "doesn't know how" to make the sandwich on the sign behind him. :confused3 That is their perception. The commercial says "chicken teriyaki sub!" and shows a picture. That is the chicken teriyaki sub, right? You might be in a big hurry during your lunch break when you discover that it's not really.

I'm not saying that I want the meatball to always come with mozzarella and be "standard". Maybe I want cheddar today, too. But if someone's obviously having trouble choosing or doesn't "get" the concept, I don't think it would hurt to ask "Would you like the standard options on that?" I think a lot of them would say yes gladly if they're confused or not sure what they want.

Too funny. Join the DIS to read about WDW and get sucked into Subway. :lmao: Oh well, I'm here now! And next time I have a party, I'll be sure to post about what goes on a ham sandwich!

This is my point exactly. I am not a Subway-newbie either. I know the concept of going in and ordering a Turkey Sub or a BMT and that basically means that I can expect and certain type of meat on either of those sandwiches and that I can choose to have mayo or mustard or both or cheese or not cheese and so on.

But when a company markets a very specfic kind of sandwich (the sweet onion teriyaki) and they market in such a way as to endorse a specific experience with that sandwich, I'm assuming that this sandwich as a specific construct to it and I want it. I guess I've totally missed the point of Subway.

So I guess then I could go in and say I want a sweet onion chicken teriyaki sub but please leave off the sweet onion and teriyaki dressing? I just figured there was a specific "recipe" for that sandwich. I am aware that I can add or subtract ingredients in that sandwich but in wanting to try what the TV has advertised to me I don't think it's odd to ask them to build their advertised sandwich and know what I'm talking about.

I love the teriyaki chicken with sweet onion sauce. but I have seen people order it with mayo or with a different type of sauce. And i like onions and pickles on it.

Maybe they should make it clear that the pictures are only suggestions, there is no set way for any of them to be made.

I think if they had a certain way that some are made, it would cause the need for more questions and lead to more confusion.

DS14 has had the same order for years--and it is a double meat combo that is not normally on the menu.

It was never a problem until 2 weeks ago, when he was told that he could only order "double meat" if he got two of the same meats and that they could not make it for him.

We chalked it up to being a policy of that one Subway (not one we had been to before) until this week when he got the same response at our local Subway. The manager, who knows DS, came out while DS was arguing with the new worker, and told us it is a new company policy :worried:

I do not know if that is ONLY in Germany--or all over, but the change only happened at the end of June here--so just a heads up in case it is the case all over.

I don't know the answer but everytime I go to Subway I kind of crack up because they can't seem to follow the menu. Example:

ME: (Pointing to the sign) I'd like a 6-inch Chicken Teriyaki sub on white.

SUBWAY: (Putting meat on the bread) Sure, what would you like on that?

ME: Uh, I'd like what comes on the Chicken Teriyaki sub. Whatever it is?

SUBWAY: Would you like cheese?

ME: Does the Chicken Teryaki normally come with cheese?

SUBWAY: (Looking at sign) No, I don't think so.

ME: Okay, no then.

SUBWAY: What toppings would you like?

ME: Whatever is on the Chicken Teriyaki?

SUBWAY: (Ponders the sign and adds no toppings).

SUBWAY: Okay what kind of sauce? Mayo, mustard?

ME: Well, how about teriyaki sauce?

This happens every time. It used to make me mad but now I find it kind of funny.

Honestly, if I saw that exchange, the person I'd be laughing at is you, not the Subway employee (I'd be feeling sorry for the employee). The whole point of having all those toppings there is that you can choose what you want. And I've definitely seen people add cheese and/or other sauces to a Chicken Teriyaki sub at Subway.

Honestly, if I saw that exchange, the person I'd be laughing at is you, not the Subway employee (I'd be feeling sorry for the employee). The whole point of having all those toppings there is that you can choose what you want. And I've definitely seen people add cheese and/or other sauces to a Chicken Teriyaki sub at Subway.

Even AFTER I stated to the employee that I would like it built like the advertised sandwich which clearly shows the built sandwich and advertises a sweet onion sauce sauce? When I said I wanted it "just like that" they still couldn't do it?

I definitely "get" the concept at Subway but when I ask for the sandwich as Subway has marketed it to me, shouldn't they just be able to make it?

Well, reading this thread, I think I have my answer.

Yeah - I'd load that bad boy up with veggies. And cheese.

And if you don't know what comes on it - how would you know if you like it? What if the worker thought it came with tomatoes and you don't like them? What if he thought he saw a jalapeno on the picture and threw them on and you hate them?

Years back, some sub shop had an A1 steak sauce sub. I don't know if it was subway or some competitor. Anyways DH told me he wanted an A1 steak sub without the A1. I dutifully went in and ordered it and then sheepishly said "That's just a regular steak sub, isn't it?" I don't know what that has to do with the topic at hand - but anyways I'll agree that Subway can be confusing the first time you go in. After a few times though, everyone should have the system down.

Yeah - I'd load that bad boy up with veggies. And cheese.

And if you don't know what comes on it - how would you know if you like it? What if the worker thought it came with tomatoes and you don't like them? What if he thought he saw a jalapeno on the picture and threw them on and you hate them?

Years back, some sub shop had an A1 steak sauce sub. I don't know if it was subway or some competitor. Anyways DH told me he wanted an A1 steak sub without the A1. I dutifully went in and ordered it and then sheepishly said "That's just a regular steak sub, isn't it?" I don't know what that has to do with the topic at hand - but anyways I'll agree that Subway can be confusing the first time you go in. After a few times though, everyone should have the system down.

This really isn't that hard. The picture clearly shows a 6"inch sub with chicken strips, lettuce, and tomato. All advertised as being top with their sweet onion sauce and the chicken strip being marinated in teriyaki sauce.

So, when I point at that picture and the sandwich artist looks at it that is what he/she sees too. When I say, I want that exact sandwich how Subway has advertised it, then it's pretty easy to follow. I was pretty explicit. What really got me was when he asked me what type of condiment I wanted on it. Believe me it wasn't in the vein of what type of "additional" topping might I live. He really didn't know what went on that the SWEET ONION CHICKEN TERIYAKI sandwich.

I have no issues with them checking to see if I wanted additional toppings. That wasn't what was happening. It was almost as weird as ordering a Turkey sub and the employee asking you what kind of meat you wanted on that Turkey sub.

This topic had me cracking up. I think the sandwich builder should prompt you on advertised sandwiches. Like they have spinach, do you want that? But I don't know if corporate gives a baseline with the advertised sandwich "recipe". It might clarify things.

Even AFTER I stated to the employee that I would like it built like the advertised sandwich which clearly shows the built sandwich and advertises a sweet onion sauce sauce? When I said I wanted it "just like that" they still couldn't do it?

I definitely "get" the concept at Subway but when I ask for the sandwich as Subway has marketed it to me, shouldn't they just be able to make it?

Well, reading this thread, I think I have my answer.
Christine, I get what you're saying and totally agree. When I think Chicken Teriyaki sandwich, I think chicken, maybe peppers and onions, and teriyaki sauce. Just like I wouldn't walk into an Asian place and expect cheese on my chicken teriyaki, or cucumbers or tomatoes.

I was thinking about trying the new Chicken Enchilada Melt sandwich. Instead I'll just go to Taco Bell, and get a chicken burrito there.

This topic had me cracking up. I think the sandwich builder should prompt you on advertised sandwiches. Like they have spinach, do you want that? But I don't know if corporate gives a baseline with the advertised sandwich "recipe". It might clarify things.

I would think they would give the franchises the basic ingredients for these signature sandwiches. Yes, I know I can add extra ingredients, but would like to be able to try the sandwich I saw in the commercial.

I totally understand Subway & may eat it more than most people here... we have one in the hospital where I work and it sure beats the cafeteria food, so I have Subway often.

The first time I ordered the Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki, I was a bit annoyed that I had to ask for the Sweet Onion sauce. Luckily, I didn't care for it anyway, so I won't have to remember to ask for Sweet Onion sauce on my Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki again. :laughing:

kirstenb1 said:
I would think they would give the franchises the basic ingredients for these signature sandwiches. Yes, I know I can add extra ingredients, but would like to be able to try the sandwich I saw in the commercial.

They have the ingredients they just don't automatically put them on.

The advertisements are an artists rendition and may not even be the best taste combo.

They have the ingredients they just don't automatically put them on.

The advertisements are an artists rendition and may not even be the best taste combo.

See I find this bizarre. Kind of like if Mcdonalds rolled out the BiG Mac without doing dozens of taste surveys. Why would Subway not do some market research/culinary research to find the best mingling of flavors for a signature item? Then again, why am I wasting my time? We rarely go there, because of all the carcinogens I've read about in smoked/salted meats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter