Stupid Question!!!

DisLUV

DIS Veteran
Yes we all have to ask them sooner or later. We are flying to WDW again this Dec and this time bringing ABBYMOUSE (4 yr old DD) with us. WHAT DO WE DO WITH THE CAR SEAT? I know we dont hook it up in the airplane seat but what do we do?

Please dont laugh to hard but I am chuckling a little just thinking about it!! Thanks for the help :earsboy:

Hi there

We will be down in Dec too. We will have both our DDs with us DD1 with be 2 and DD2 will be 5, both are very tiny girls and will need car seats, and I never thougth about needing car seats for them.

On the airplane we don't need car seats, do we?
and for the trip between airport we will be useing QuickSilver, and they have car seats if you let them know in advance that you need them. Once we get there we do not need the seats.

I have seen other families on airplanes with carseats, and the flight attendence usually stole them away for them.

Hope that helps

DDf

There are no "Stupid Questions" here.
You could check it with your luggage, or at the gate so they hand it back to you when you land (depending on the plane/airline). Also, who says you can't use it on the plane? If it attaches in your car using lap belts, it should also work in the plane seat.
The best advice I can give is "Check with your airline." They'll know what to do with your seat.

You can put a regular car seat into the airplane seat. We did that when my son was 2, and we were renting a car. We have never brought his booster because the airplane seat belts wouldn't work with his booster. Once when my daughter was still a lap baby, we checked her car seat at luggage, and it was fine.

This year we are using a town car. They will provide a car seat for my daughter and a booster for my son. She will just use the regular airplane seat belt during the flight.

Have fun!

A caveat: You can only use a booster seat on the plane if it uses a five-point harness. Otherwise you'll need to check your carseat with your luggage, and use the plane's lap belt for your child.

We just returned from our latest WDW trip. We went with our two DDs (ages 1 and 3.5). They are both still in five-point harness carseats. We bought seats on the plane for both of them and installed their carseats in the seats. It was fast and the flight attendant was not surprised and actually helped us install one of the seats while DH installed the other. Having your young child in a car seat (if still in a five-point harness seat) is truly the safest thing for them.

When I take a flying trip with DD I purchase a seat ticket for her and hook the car seat up in the plane. My reasoning behind this is that my DD knows that she has to be in a car seat and doesn't have a problem with it. So that makes the flight that much easier. She is not wanting or trying to get down or run up and down. I do unstrap her and we do projects while in the air. But she still enjoys it because in her car seat she sits higher up and can see out the window.

But you can always check your car seat as baggage.

Last year when we flew (Airtran) recommended a car seat for the girls. It had to be FAA approved though. Fortunately there's was.

HOWEVER....after being at the airport at 5am and unloading two almost two year olds, my mother, and six suitcases I totally forgot the carseats in my car after I went to park!!

It was no biggie they said it wasn't a requirement and they let them board without them. The towncar had carseats, but I had to request them when I made that ressie.

Have fun!!

We always take the car seats on the planes. We figure that the belts, like in cars, are made for big people, and that the children are safer in the car seat. Also, because they're designed for little people, the little ones are more comfortable.

In March with 4 yo Happy and 6 mo Sleepy, we took both seats. We had a large stroller with a canopy top (travel system) and we put both seats up on top and wheeled them through the airport. Then when we got to the gate, one of us went on first to set up the seats while the other waited with the children. Finally, when it was time for us all to board, we folded up the stroller and gave it to the flight attendant. They check them at the gate, like a wheelchair.

When we get off the flights, the stroller is waiting right outside the plane, with the wheelchairs.

We've done this many times, on American and Delta. Only once did we have a flight attendant challenge our seat, and it was on a flight home. When we argued that we had flown down with the seat, he said it shouldn't have been allowed, but let us use the infant carrier only, without the base.

click here for the FAA's FAQ on child safety seats on airplanes.

The FAA recommends that a child weighing:

under 20 pounds be placed in a rear-facing CRS.

from 20 to 40 pounds use a forward- facing child restraint. Although the safety technology of forward-facing child restraint systems in aircraft is still developing, current restraints offer dramatic improvements in protection compared to lap-held or unrestrained children.

over 40 pounds may safely use an aircraft seat belt.

Reminders:

Use an approved CRS when traveling to and from the airport, and when you arrive at your destination.

The safest place for a child on an airplane is in an apporved CRS based on the child's weight. While booster seats and harness vests enhance safety in automobiles, they are banned for use during taxi, take-off and landing. Although they are permissible for use during the cruise portion of flight, they do not afford the same level of protection as a hard-shell CRS.

In the United States, supplemental lap restraints, "belly belts," are banned from use in both automobiles and aircraft.

HTH!:sunny:

You can hook it up and some peditricians and experts say its best especially if you buy them a seat. Some models such as booster that use car shoulder belts obviously can't be hooked up with out the shoulder belts. But infant seats can be as can some rear facing convertable seats.

I will probably check mine if we don't buy her seat if we do I figure I will hook it up.

Someone mentioned getting a car seat when they pick up the rental car. Just remember those are not necessarily a guarentee and you may have to wait at the airport for one to get there. It is very easy to bring your own and if your daughter will sit in the lap belt just check the car seat like luggage.

We just flew w/DD 3.5 yrs old and we put her in her car seat. We have always done that because like Mom2Ashli said then the child knows that you are in your seat and can't get up and move around. The other reason we always have done it that way is because it is just safer. On this last trip down it was "beautiful flying weather" and about 2 hours into flight we had to make a "minor adjustment in altitude due to an oncoming plane that air traffic control misguided in our direction." Have a great trip!

ahilly

At 4 yo its 50/50 depending on the size and temperment of the child.

If you have a larger child using a booster seat in the car you can not use it in the aircraft. You can either check it through, gate check it or rent one with your rental car. If your not using a rental most of the town car companies will provide one free of charge if you request one in advance. BRU has a nice backpack type carrier for about $20.00.

If your 4yo is still using a traditional carseat with an integrated harness and it has the sticker on the back to indicate it is FAA approved you may use it on the aircraft.

However, we found that after the age of 3 or so it was really uncomfortable for my youngest dd. She could not put the tray table down and her feet were very close to the back of the seat in front of her. This made it almost impossible for her not to kick the seat just by moving the slightest bit to color or even eat. She really had very little room and on the return trip we checked the seat and everyone was much more comfortable.

If your child can understand the rules, stay in the seatbelt and stay seated you "may" be better off without it. Its really your call but there are many options available for you.

TJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter