STUPID AIRLINE FEES: Stand up and REBEL!!! (Getting around the fees)

So you expect airlines to operate at a loss just to keep prices where we like them...not going to happen, nor should it. Want to do something about it? Contact your US Senator and Congressman and DEMAND THEY PASS legislation that allows oil exploration within the US 48, Alaska, and all offshore waters, plus open the wells that have been capped. Yes it should be done with sensitivity for the environment, but it must be done. We cannot continue to be held hostage by foreign oil and OPEC. We must also build NEW refineries, and stop the 24 blends of gas we now produce. Pick the cleanest one and produce it for e1.

We have dug this hole for ourselves. We need to stop thinking about polar bears survival, and start acting for our own.

JMHO

That is an extremely short sighted "fix" if you can even call it that. Believe it or not the primary increase in the cost of oil is due to the weakening dollar. Referenced by this chart it shows the decline of the US Dollar compared to the increased value of Gold. The cost of oil in Gold has not increased all that much. Fix the US Dollar and that will start to fix oil prices.

That is an extremely short sighted "fix" if you can even call it that. Believe it or not the primary increase in the cost of oil is due to the weakening dollar. Referenced by this chart it shows the decline of the US Dollar compared to the increased value of Gold. The cost of oil in Gold has not increased all that much. Fix the US Dollar and that will start to fix oil prices.

I agree. The solution is not to squander the limited resources that are left in the world, but to start really conserving (I don't see habits changing that much in North America yet) and work on strengthening the economy and the dollar.

I agree. The solution is not to squander the limited resources that are left in the world, but to start really conserving (I don't see habits changing that much in North America yet) and work on strengthening the economy and the dollar.

Ah, the veiled "selfish American" bias raises its head. Again, the rest of the world is smarter than us, they are conserving fuel, while we "squander" it. Fact is, there are 8 trillion bbls of conventional oil on earth, so far, we have produced 1 trillion bbl total. There is another 6 trillion bbls of unconventional oil we expect to produce over a trillion bbls of. While it absolutely makes sense to develop new energy sources, this idea we are running out of oil is silly. The problem comes down to cost of getting it. Look up 'Alberta Oil Sands' and see how much oil is laying ON the ground in Canada.

However, speculators and the weak dollar is really part of what is driving up the price of oil. Between these two factors, that is around $60 per bbl of the current price.

I did not say anything in that regard, and I find it offensive that you claim to speak for me. The two posters above me said essentially the same thing, and I believe that they are American posters.

In fact I was giving some information to the Budget Boarders just yesterday about Canada having the second largest oil reserves in the world.

In fact I was giving some information to the Budget Boarders just yesterday about Canada having the second largest oil reserves in the world.

Shhhh....we were planning on taking over the world with our oil - don't tell everyone else about it :rolleyes1

I agree that the answer to a $25 baggage fee is not ignoring environmental consequences and "thinking about polar bears survival". The sustainable of energy sources may be central to human survival (okay, it is central to human survival), but a $25 fee is not. I know that the thread just sort of went OT, but it read as if it was either the polar bears or our ability to bring a bunch of suitcases on the plane without paying extra.

I did not say anything in that regard, and I find it offensive that you claim to speak for me. The two posters above me said essentially the same thing, and I believe that they are American posters.

I did not mean to speak for you. I was offended that you said North America had not changed it habits like the rest of world. You said fuel was being squandered. I found that to mean we are selfish in our use. How did I mis-read that?

And those prior posters never mentioned anything about North America changing their habits, that is what I what I had an issue with. I merely stated information that supports reaching the trillions of bbls that are there.

Having said all this, I should have kept my mouth shut the first time and not responded at all.

I did not mean to speak for you. I was offended that you said North America had not changed it habits like the rest of world. You said fuel was being squandered. I found that to mean we are selfish in our use. How did I mis-read that?

And those prior posters never mentioned anything about North America changing their habits, that is what I what I had an issue with. I merely stated information that supports reaching the trillions of bbls that are there.

Having said all this, I should have kept my mouth shut the first time and not responded at all.

Yes, we are selfish!!!

In the majority of the world the EXPECTED norm is not that there are two cars per household and that teenagers are entitled to thier own car.

In the majority of the world they don't need a giant SUV to take the kids to ball practice.

In many parts of the world they have actually INVESTED in public transport.

In other parts of the world public transport is not considered "only for the poor" (Trust me I take public transport to work and people have actually said that to me "I thought only folks who couldn't afford cars took the subway":lmao: )

In other parts of the world the response to ANY price increase is not automatically DRILL MORE OIL (which can't be refinded to gas right now so....)

Americans have always assumed that 'cheap oil' was some God given right and now that it's not they seem upset that this might impact thier lifestyle!

There are posters on here who are upset that other countries will buy oil at the current rates and don't care if we know it... Why? Just because we are American and built our lifestyle on the back of cheap oil doesn't mean we are entitled to cheap oil....

Sometimes speaking the truth is unpopular here. Ironically, just a few weeks before Skybus went bust, CarolA, Lewisc and other regular posters were bashed for cautioning readers and suggesting that they consider a more financially viable carrier than Skybus.

Americans pay far less for gas than their Canadian neighbours, and less than half of what Europeans pay.

I have long spoken the same message as many regular posters here, and based on the volume of PMs I receive here, many readers agree with us.

Shhhh....we were planning on taking over the world with our oil - don't tell everyone else about it :rolleyes1

Whoops! Second largest country in the world, second largest reserves of oil, seven percent of the world's renewable water resource - it may be time to alert Laura Secord that her services may be required again.... ;)

Yes, we are selfish!!!

In the majority of the world the EXPECTED norm is not that there are two cars per household and that teenagers are entitled to thier own car.

In the majority of the world they don't need a giant SUV to take the kids to ball practice.

In many parts of the world they have actually INVESTED in public transport.

In other parts of the world public transport is not considered "only for the poor" (Trust me I take public transport to work and people have actually said that to me "I thought only folks who couldn't afford cars took the subway":lmao: )

In other parts of the world the response to ANY price increase is not automatically DRILL MORE OIL (which can't be refinded to gas right now so....)

Americans have always assumed that 'cheap oil' was some God given right and now that it's not they seem upset that this might impact thier lifestyle!

There are posters on here who are upset that other countries will buy oil at the current rates and don't care if we know it... Why? Just because we are American and built our lifestyle on the back of cheap oil doesn't mean we are entitled to cheap oil....

Because we, as a country, has the means to have two cars does not make us selfish. If we were to say that other counties can not or we took steps to prevent them from having two cars, then we could be labeled selfish.

Lucky and unaware of our good fortune, agreed.

So what if people can afford a big car to take their kids to soccer practice? Countries that have money spend it. Watch what is happening in China and India. People that rode bikes are now buying cars, people that ate only rice now want chicken and beef. Should tell them what they should and should not do with their own personal money?

As far as public transportation goes, that only works in highly populated areas like cities. Here in Cleveland, there is only a fraction of daily workers that commute to the city; the vast majority of employees are scattered amongs the suburbs.

I do agree that there is way too much whining about gas prices. Further, look at the increase in food costs in developing countries. There is where the real tragedy is, not in how much our airfare to our vacation spot is.

Further, look at the increase in food costs in developing countries. There is where the real tragedy is, not in how much our airfare to our vacation spot is.
I am in full agreement that the food situation is a tragedy, and am glad that we have found something on which we can agree. :)

Please understand that part of what motivates me is what I have seen while travelling around the world over the past years. I agree with you that the food situation is alarming, due in part to biofuel policies, but due to other reasons as well (I won't start that discussion here!)

I have said it before, but it amazes me that some of the poorest people in the world were willing to give me so much, when they had so little. That humbled me and made me even more motivated to change, even if it is only a tiny bit that I can influence.

Because we, as a country, has the means to have two cars does not make us selfish. If we were to say that other counties can not or we took steps to prevent them from having two cars, then we could be labeled selfish.
/
In some ways it does, there is only a finite quantity of these resorces. It is about choices and whether you feel having 2 cars is right or an SUV is necessary or a smaller car is enough.

I'll just go on my way now.

At least these discussions are more interesting, correct?

To get back close to topic, I can't yet see that the owners locker is a great idea. Good, yes. Unless you are going at least twice a year.

Yes, the discussion is interesting.....

John/jdvm is also interesting!!! Owner's Locker is a great idea (I did start a thread about it last week on the Transportation Board)

For great conversation about a variety of topics AND great value, I highly recommend Owner's Locker ;)

did we manage to get this thread back to a discussion about the extra bag fees?

/
In some ways it does, there is only a finite quantity of these resorces. It is about choices and whether you feel having 2 cars is right or an SUV is necessary or a smaller car is enough.

What's selfish is not really our lifestyle but our reaction to anything that might require a change.....

At that point all we care about is "US" and RIGHT NOW! Not the future of our kids, not the environment, not anything but "what's going to allow ME to keep my lifestyle of cheap airfare and cheap gas"

Other's may be selfish too, I doubt we have a lock on it. But that doesn't make it right. (Think about it when your kid does something wrong have you EVER accepted the "everyone does it excuse"??? That's the same excuse folks want to use here.....LOL!)

And John's right. I use Owner's Locker and I can now do a pretty light carryon! It's a great service if you vacation at least annually at Disney!

I've mentioned before that I go to WDW at least 10 times annually and at that point the delivery charges for the locker are far too much for a traveler who takes many short trips. But for a couple of long visits a year it could work out.

Nala, we have a Premium Annual Plan ($179/year) with unlimited deliveries.
j

It's all intertwined. We cant fix the dollar if we continue to depend on everyone else for goods and resources. We are doing this to ourselves with corporate income taxes and environmental restrictions.

It's a matter of supply and demand, OPEC just recently refused to up production....why, they are quite happy with the price, and the likelihood of it continuing to rise.

If congress passed legislation, allowing expanded drilling, building of additional refining capacity, the price would come down rapidly. The speculators would back off quickly, which is a portion of the spike in prices. They understand the concept of supply/demand and are taking full advantage of the USA's unwillingness to take a step towards energy independence.

There are many steps to be taken. Right now, we need more oil, and more refining capacity. Our folks in Washington need to get off their butts and make the hard decisions that make sense for now, and develop a plan to get us, as a nation, less dependent on oil, as our main energy resource. We need to remember, those fine folks in Washington don't feel the pain we feel. They are all Millionares and live in a different world. D & R alike. They have no concept of life at, let's say 50K, with 2 kids, mortgage, car, and the other stuff. The only way to get their attention is to FLOOD them with MAIL and threaten their jobs.

We CAN build Refineries SAFELY.
We CAN DRILL and EXPLORE SAFELY.
We CAN use Nuclear Power SAFELY.

WHY AREN'T WE DOING IT?? Because WE AREN'T DEMANDING it.

(And it won't harm the POLAR BEARS.)

And when you get it out of the ground then what??? This is a great myth here on the DIS. WE just drill and our problems are solved!

However, one of the issues is that there is currently a shortage of REFINING capacity to turn that new oil into gas.......

And anyone on here want a refinery in thier back yard?

./QUOTE]

NO Drilling won't make it all better. But it certainly wont hurt. It's simple, MORE OIL = LOWER OIL PRICES.

I clearly made the point that refining capacity is BIG part of the issue. WE NEED more refining capacity, and have for years.

Their are many places where refineries could be be built that would affect NO ONE. There is plenty of govt. land that could be leased for the purpose.

Not producing regional blends would increase capacity as well, reduce down time to retool, pick the cleanest one and produce it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter