Strollers on busses and monorails.

That has not been our experience. Often we have seen buses doubled up in spots during peak times. And when we are with our children, we generally don't travel at peak times so that we can avoid standing room. It has been a while since I stayed late enough to see Wishes (except when we stayed at BLT) because I don't want to put my kids in situation where they would not be safe. When we traveled during the July 4th week, we never had to stand on a bus and more than once we were the only family on the bus. We planned well and were able to do what we wanted and still had seats when we needed them.

What resorts do you stay at?

We generally try to avoid the peak times with our little ones, but because this was a big family trip with school aged children, it was the only time it could be done.

I've been the week of July 4th quite a few times. Our anniversary is June 28th, we honeymooned at WDW and have spent a few anniversary trips at WDW prior to children. So I'm well versed on peak times of the parks and how to navigate the resort.

Staying at both Moderate and Value resorts, the majority of the time the buses were pretty full over July 4th week.

Now with 2 kids in daycare, we sadly don't go as often as we did before, so I am willing to have my kids out later at night so they can see the parades and fireworks, it really is a big part of the trip. We go back to the hotel during the day for naps.

I don't demand people to give up seats, but I do appreciate it when someone does.

I do find the lack of common courtesy a little frustrating sometimes though. It frustrates me that prior to having children, my wife and I would hit the parks from rope drop to closing on occasion, and even though our feet and knees were sore, when someone who needed our seat more than us needed it, we gave it up.

We're all at Disney to have a good time, sometimes schedules of the parks have us at parks later than we really want to be. I'm a little more slack with people with young children that fall asleep. Our kids were bouncing off the walls and did not appear tired at all. However on 3 occasions they did fall asleep on us. 1 was during the middle of the day as we were heading back to the resort for nap time. It's the time I mentioned above. Another time, we drove to MK, so it wasn't a problem, instead of taking the tram and having to get them out, we just walked back to the car. The only other time one of my children fell asleep was coming back for dinner one night, luckily this time the bus wasn't packed.

We stayed at All Star Sports resort, those buses tend to get extremely packed, especially when tour groups get on, I can literally think of 3 or 4 times on this last trip where the buses were not standing room only.

I've been to disney a lot, this was also the first time I've witnessed Disney hiring outside tour buses to shuttle people back and forth to the parks. It was extremely crowded.

What a hot topic. My daughter is tall. She's 4 and looks 7. At Disney she uses a stroller. She doesn't fit the umbrella because she is too tall. We use our single full sized stroller. Hubby pushes as he is tall and is better at avoiding people. I once did ram someone, apologized sincerely and profusely and all parties moved on. No problem at all. We did have a man run through crowds, slam into our stroller because he wasn't watching where he was going, then cuss us out and run off. I don't care how old your kid is in the stroller. It doesn't matter why you use one. I don't want to hear judgmental folks saying my kid needs more exercise and then they should be ok at Disney. I don't want to hear someone on a boat criticizing what time of day or night it is for a sleeping kid to be out. I have fallen asleep on the boats before after 10 pm. No one ever made snide comments to me about being out too late. It is all about consideration. Who cares if the family next to you is on a bus at 1 am with a sleeping kid? Do you have to take care of that kid? No. So just move on. I always wondered why people make comments about someone else's way of doing things. Buses and monorails will always be crowded. There will always be someone with a stroller on a bus or monorail. Whether you have a child you are holding or not if you see someone that seems to need a seat more than you, offer to give yours. Standing with a stroller or standing holding a small child is really no big deal. and of course strollers need to be folded up. even our full size stroller can fit in a bus seat with me and hubby when folded. Out of the aisle and out of the way. When we have to stand with a stroller we still can keep the full sized stroller out of the aisle. Be considerate folks. Everyone just wants to have a good time and get their money's worth on a not-so-cheap vacation.

Strollers do not have a legally defined size limit. While the condition of the stroller can be enforced for transportation on a bus (folded) for safety reasons it becomes very difficult to enforce an arbitrary size limit. Buses are regulated by the DOT. Rules and regulations are mostly set by the DOT. The monorail, while also regulated by the DOT has different rules because the space inside.

Well, Disney MAY do something in so much as they may "Limit" the size of the stroller as it (the very large ones) can be a hazard in the vehicle (be it monorail, bus, tram or ferry). Just like they banned Selfie Sticks as a hazard. Unlike selfie sticks, however, Strollers are a necessity for many (for whatever reason they use them). I do agree with you, however on the "Next Subject" part. :)

Disney actually has a limit on the size of the strollers in the parks. you can read about it here. Or take my word: Strollers larger than 36" x 52" (92 x 132 cm)

If they enforce the rule however....
:confused3

What resorts do you stay at?

We generally try to avoid the peak times with our little ones, but because this was a big family trip with school aged children, it was the only time it could be done.

I've been the week of July 4th quite a few times. Our anniversary is June 28th, we honeymooned at WDW and have spent a few anniversary trips at WDW prior to children. So I'm well versed on peak times of the parks and how to navigate the resort.

Staying at both Moderate and Value resorts, the majority of the time the buses were pretty full over July 4th week.

Now with 2 kids in daycare, we sadly don't go as often as we did before, so I am willing to have my kids out later at night so they can see the parades and fireworks, it really is a big part of the trip. We go back to the hotel during the day for naps.

I don't demand people to give up seats, but I do appreciate it when someone does.

I do find the lack of common courtesy a little frustrating sometimes though. It frustrates me that prior to having children, my wife and I would hit the parks from rope drop to closing on occasion, and even though our feet and knees were sore, when someone who needed our seat more than us needed it, we gave it up.

We're all at Disney to have a good time, sometimes schedules of the parks have us at parks later than we really want to be. I'm a little more slack with people with young children that fall asleep. Our kids were bouncing off the walls and did not appear tired at all. However on 3 occasions they did fall asleep on us. 1 was during the middle of the day as we were heading back to the resort for nap time. It's the time I mentioned above. Another time, we drove to MK, so it wasn't a problem, instead of taking the tram and having to get them out, we just walked back to the car. The only other time one of my children fell asleep was coming back for dinner one night, luckily this time the bus wasn't packed.

We stayed at All Star Sports resort, those buses tend to get extremely packed, especially when tour groups get on, I can literally think of 3 or 4 times on this last trip where the buses were not standing room only.

I've been to disney a lot, this was also the first time I've witnessed Disney hiring outside tour buses to shuttle people back and forth to the parks. It was extremely crowded.
OKW, AK, BC, BLT, ASMo, etc. We are rope droppers, who don't take a break, have dinner earlyish and hit the pool before bed. My kids are up a 6ish every day regardless of when they fall asleep so to prevent meltdowns I work around their schedule. It also happens that it allows us to travel in off peak times and get everything we want accomplished accomplished.

Although is it courteous to get on a bus when you know there are no seats, if you need seats? Doesn't courtesy run both ways? Its fairly easy to determine if there will be seats on a bus. IF you're not sure you can peak in a see and decide if its worth getting on.

OKW, AK, BC, BLT, ASMo, etc. We are rope droppers, who don't take a break, have dinner earlyish and hit the pool before bed. My kids are up a 6ish every day regardless of when they fall asleep so to prevent meltdowns I work around their schedule. It also happens that it allows us to travel in off peak times and get everything we want accomplished accomplished.

Although is it courteous to get on a bus when you know there are no seats, if you need seats? Doesn't courtesy run both ways? Its fairly easy to determine if there will be seats on a bus. IF you're not sure you can peak in a see and decide if its worth getting on.

Sometimes its not easy to determine if there are enough seats until you get on the bus. But I can see where this is going.

I'm at Disney to enjoy a vacation, its apparent our "touring plans" are different than yours.

I suppose your children have never fallen asleep on a bus either huh? I don't understand why so many people on here get so upset when they see a child falling asleep.

There are things that are ONLY offered at night time, our kids want to see them, so we're going to take them to see them. It's just as much their vacation as it is everyone's on that bus. If I have to hold them while the bus is moving, I'll do it. I just think its polite to to allow the ones that need the seats more to have them.

I follow that rule myself, i rarely sit on a bus.

One of my greatest memories of our trip last year was taking my oldest son from ride to ride to ride during the fireworks (he was afraid of them and didnt want to watch them). You should have seen the look on his face, I hadnt seen him smile or laugh that much ever before. We were taking advantage of the short lines and he loved it.

But I guess he should have been back at the hotel, how dare we take him out after dark at disney.

Oh, by the way, he stayed wide awake on the bus also.

No one has said your child can't stay and enjoy the fireworks. However, if you are worried at all about there being available seating on the buses, and think it is unsafe to stand, why not plan to use a taxi or rent a car? Or stand aside in the bus line until you are confident your family will have seats? I don't get blaming other people for your family being unsafe. If someone is worried about their family member's safety, then they should be proactive and do something about it. Not try and rely on strangers to take care of it for them.

I think a good number of people will offer up their seats for others if they think someone else needs it more. But the simple fact is that the Disney buses are designed to hold more people standing than sitting. Odds are not in your favor that you will get a seat. And it is not a good idea to go with the mind set that someone will probably give up their seat for you or your mom/dad/daughter/child. You are taking a risk. And if it is truly a safety issue, why are you taking any chances?

I can honestly say in 50 plus trips I have been hit by a stroller one time (and it was intentional and the lady admitted it) and my wife has been bumped by one ECV driven by an elderly lady who was very upset and freaked out by the mob exiting EPCOT.

Well, we've been 4 times in the last 2 years, and both of us have been run into on every trip. Sometimes more than once. Often by people who feel as if their stroller or ecv is a "battering ram" to get them through the crowd. We are not jumping into six inch spaces in front of these things or suddenly stopping. Yet we still get run into. I guess we are just good targets LOL.

The real issue is common courtesy on a very wide scale. There is way too much me, me, me now and no realization that 3 seconds means nothing in the big scheme of things.

Yep, that's exactly right. Which is why I wish people pushing strollers and driving ecvs would pay more attention to where the [expletive deleted] they are going.

Pregnant women, the elderly, AND parents with small children should get first priority seating. It's just the right thing to do.

We just returned from a 8 day visit with a 2 year old and a 4 year old, luckily my children only had to stand once. Children at that age should be seated, its the safe thing for them to do. I stood on this trip 90% of the time because I did have my double stroller folded up, either my wife, or my mother sat with the kids and had them on their laps if needed.

I was very impressed with how people handled the buses this year, people were giving up their seats for the ones mentioned above. I had one case where the buss was jammed full, someone got up for my 2 year old and let him sit in their seat. I was not in a place where i could grab him easily if he started to fall or anything, and of course he fell asleep. There was a nice older gentlemen sitting next to him that told me he would make sure he wouldnt fall.

A couple of years ago we went when my wife was pregnant, there were actually a few cases where she did have to stand on the buses, people were not willing to give up their seats. That I just don't understand, its a big safety hazard.
No one has said your child can't stay and enjoy the fireworks. However, if you are worried at all about there being available seating on the buses, and think it is unsafe to stand, why not plan to use a taxi or rent a car? Or stand aside in the bus line until you are confident your family will have seats? I don't get blaming other people for your family being unsafe. If someone is worried about their family member's safety, then they should be proactive and do something about it. Not try and rely on strangers to take care of it for them.

I think a good number of people will offer up their seats for others if they think someone else needs it more. But the simple fact is that the Disney buses are designed to hold more people standing than sitting. Odds are not in your favor that you will get a seat. And it is not a good idea to go with the mind set that someone will probably give up their seat for you or your mom/dad/daughter/child. You are taking a risk. And if it is truly a safety issue, why are you taking any chances?
I think a big car is a great choice for families with young children, and always suggest it to my friends from out-of-state who are bringing kids here. It allows so many options. Flexibility is the big one, but privacy and comfort, a cooler can keep snacks and drinks cold all day, amazing storage for more outfits and umbrellas and stroller accessories and bags-it's just great. The Disney transportation often seems like the wild, wild west to me. If I am really exhausted, I just am not comfortable taking a seat when a woman is standing with a 18 month-old or a older lady is standing. I rarely sit. A car gives me options that increase my comfort and allows me to relax. My husband and I are both from NYC, and we laugh that we would never survive dependance on public transportation again.

I don't think anyone is advocating riding the transportation when they feel it's unsafe. I think the argument was made about courtesy and perhaps one giving up a seat to another who could be more in need of it. While I may not deem it safe to "Free Stand" on the monorail because I am balancing a folded stroller in one hand and a child in the other, someone else may have better balance than I to accomplish this. Who am I to judge them. I know that if I cannot ride the transportation and feel safe (crowded or not), that I would be an idiot to ride it. As a result, I would not.

I won't lie and say I want a seat when I ride. I too spend a long day in the parks (or wherever) and want to relax too. However, when it's easier for me to stand than it appears it is for someone else (Stroller, handicapped, elderly, or whomever), I would be more inclined to give up my seat for them. Not because it's required, not because it's the right thing to do, but because it's who I am and I am (or try to be) courteous.

I think a big car is a great choice for families with young children, and always suggest it to my friends from out-of-state who are bringing kids here. It allows so many options. Flexibility is the big one, but privacy and comfort, a cooler can keep snacks and drinks cold all day, amazing storage for more outfits and umbrellas and stroller accessories and bags-it's just great. The Disney transportation often seems like the wild, wild west to me. If I am really exhausted, I just am not comfortable taking a seat when a woman is standing with a 18 month-old or a older lady is standing. I rarely sit. A car gives me options that increase my comfort and allows me to relax. My husband and I are both from NYC, and we laugh that we would never survive dependance on public transportation again.

I agree with you on the car, but the problem with the car, you still have to rely on disney transportation to get you to the park.

I know you can walk to the entrance to the ticket and transportation center, but you've still go to take the monorail or ferry boat to MK.

On the day we left WDW this year, we went to DHS for a few hours, our kids were hungry so we got them a snack to eat in the stroller and had planned to walk back to the car instead of taking the tram. I have no idea why, but a cast member would not allow us to walk back, I've never seen that happen before. We had to take a tram to get back to our car.

You have a stronger constitution than I do. Sights like the below have led me to rethink why I spend money on being a DVC member.

Stroller.gif

Is that the stroller rental area or people moving through the park????

Disclaimer: I'm childfree by choice... so you'll never see me wrangling kids or a stroller.

I'm just generally amazed at how many more kids are in strollers these days... I parents posting now of "DD8 doesn't use a stroller anymore, but I'm thinking of renting one for the trip in case she gets tired". Of COURSE your 8 year old is going to get tired at Disney. You're supposed to get tired after all the fun and walking. And if that means that you have to slow down a bit and take it at the child's pace, then that's what you should do. If it means that you only visit 1 park instead of 2, or take a midday nap, or don't stay from 8am to 1am, then that's what you do!

My first trip was at 5 years old... I was well out of a stroller in normal life, and therefore there was never any consideration that I'd need one at Disney. My parents just toured at my pace and took breaks when needed.

Thus endeth my 'parents these days' mini-rant.

First let me say...FUNNY! LOL

Second, as someone who went 40 years without a kid (judging other parents), then became a parent, I can honestly say...people have NO IDEA what it's like to parent a child, until you actually parent a child. I used to look at kids in the grocery store in May with a full on Batman costume and secretly judge the parent. Don't get me started on the 4 year olds with a pacifier in their mouths! While my DS wanted no parts of a pacifier after a month old, as a parent, I understand picking your battles. So, if they want to allow Susie to suck on a pacifier at 4, I say, have at it. Lol

My DS is only 1; however, when he's older, if he wants to be Batman in May at the grocery store, I say...go get your batman costume son! Lol we have bigger stresses than that.

I hope my son won't be in a stroller past 4 years old, but I won't judge anybody's kid who is (not saying you're judging, just using your post to share how I felt pre/post having a child). Heck, if it will make my life less stressful, he might be in one at 8 years old. Lol

When I became a parent (by far, the best thing I've done with my life...and I've done some pretty incredible things in my life prior to DS), I began to "get" why parents made certain decisions. It also made me really adopt the live and let live philosophy.

Again, funny post. I literally laughed out loud and saw myself two years ago. :)

Second, as someone who went 40 years without a kid (judging other parents), then became a parent, I can honestly say...people have NO IDEA what it's like to parent a child, until you actually parent a child. I used to look at kids in the grocery store in May with a full on Batman costume and secretly judge the parent. Don't get me started on the 4 year olds with a pacifier in their mouths! While my DS wanted no parts of a pacifier after a month old, as a parent, I understand picking your battles. So, if they want to allow Susie to suck on a pacifier at 4, I say, have at it. Lol

My DS is only 1; however, when he's older, if he wants to be Batman in May at the grocery store, I say...go get your batman costume son! Lol we have bigger stresses than that.

I hope my son won't be in a stroller past 4 years old, but I won't judge anybody's kid who is (not saying you're judging, just using your post to share how I felt pre/post having a child). Heck, if it will make my life less stressful, he might be in one at 8 years old. Lol

When I became a parent (by far, the best thing I've done with my life...and I've done some pretty incredible things in my life prior to DS), I began to "get" why parents made certain decisions. It also made me really adopt the live and let live philosophy.

Again, funny post. I literally laughed out loud and saw myself two years ago. :)

I totally get what you're saying... Luckily, I'm still entitled to opinions. :)

What actually kind of amuses me about it is really the cognitive dissonance going on and the length people will go to in order to justify their decisions. I'm not talking about one 4 or 5 year old keeping up with a group of adults. I'm not talking about kids with any sort of disability. It's the posters that blatantly say their kid is an only child with no limitations, then go on to say they need a stroller so they can keep up. And 2 posts later say the trip is for children, not adults. (And please note that I do generally see posts of this type more on Facebook groups than here...)

It always makes me think of a scene I saw at Epcot one morning where an 'older' child didn't want to ride in the stroller, they wanted to walk. And the mom point blank told him he couldn't because he would be tired later and she didn't want to deal with it. Cue the boy's screaming fit, and mom lecturing him that 'he wanted to come to Disneyworld, and if he didn't want to get in the stroller, they would go home'. It was just really sad to watch.

Last edited:

I too had a "Revelation" as I didn't get married until I was almost 40. Even before Disney, I used to think about the people at work always taking time off "Claiming" that their kid(s) had this issue or that problem or some other ailment. I couldn't help to think to myself, "If I was their boss, I would fire them for missing so much work." Well now that I am married with kids of my own, I understand a whole lot better. Plus there is 2 of us to share the tasks (sitting at home with the sick child while the other is working) so if you are a "Single Parent" it can be worse. Fast forward to those at Disney and I try not to judge anyone else too much for their choices. Do I still ponder about why child X is in a stroller when they don't appear to need it? Sure. I think it's human nature and can't be helped. I will even talk about it with my DW, but there may be a valid reason for it. I will not, however, call them out on it nor will I publicly fault them (or at least I try not to) for it. What I do hope is, that whatever their choices that they do it for the right reasons and in consideration of others as well. (i.e. if you are using a stroller, be mindful and courteous of others and not intrude upon their rights as well)

It always makes me think of a scene I saw at Epcot one morning where an 'older' child didn't want to ride in the stroller, they wanted to walk. And the mom point blank told him he couldn't because he would be tired later and she didn't want to deal with it. Cue the boy's screaming fit, and mom lecturing him that 'he wanted to come to Disneyworld, and if he didn't want to get in the stroller, they would go home'. It was just really sad to watch.
Cranky now or tired later? I could understand if the argument is that the child may not a be as safe (because it's hard to keep an eye on them and the stroller and navigating a crowded park all at the same time). Sometimes it's difficult to explain to a child your reasons for why you want them to do what you tell them to do. (Try explaining to the 4 year old that they cannot play in the front yard by themselves because of a threat of someone trying to kidnap children in the area. They just don't understand.) Arguing with them, however isn't the solution (in my mind) rather talking to them patiently and respectfully is much better.

Again, however, every child is different and can respond differently. I, much like you, would probably make a similar assessment of it, but the truth of the matter is, that we really don't know the whole situation.

I too had a "Revelation" as I didn't get married until I was almost 40. Even before Disney, I used to think about the people at work always taking time off "Claiming" that their kid(s) had this issue or that problem or some other ailment. I couldn't help to think to myself, "If I was their boss, I would fire them for missing so much work." Well now that I am married with kids of my own, I understand a whole lot better. Plus there is 2 of us to share the tasks (sitting at home with the sick child while the other is working) so if you are a "Single Parent" it can be worse. Fast forward to those at Disney and I try not to judge anyone else too much for their choices. Do I still ponder about why child X is in a stroller when they don't appear to need it? Sure. I think it's human nature and can't be helped. I will even talk about it with my DW, but there may be a valid reason for it. I will not, however, call them out on it nor will I publicly fault them (or at least I try not to) for it. What I do hope is, that whatever their choices that they do it for the right reasons and in consideration of others as well. (i.e. if you are using a stroller, be mindful and courteous of others and not intrude upon their rights as well)

Cranky now or tired later? I could understand if the argument is that the child may not a be as safe (because it's hard to keep an eye on them and the stroller and navigating a crowded park all at the same time). Sometimes it's difficult to explain to a child your reasons for why you want them to do what you tell them to do. (Try explaining to the 4 year old that they cannot play in the front yard by themselves because of a threat of someone trying to kidnap children in the area. They just don't understand.) Arguing with them, however isn't the solution (in my mind) rather talking to them patiently and respectfully is much better.

Again, however, every child is different and can respond differently. I, much like you, would probably make a similar assessment of it, but the truth of the matter is, that we really don't know the whole situation.

I absolutely agree with you on both quotes. I was one of those bosses who had little understanding for all the call outs for "kids issues". Now, I COMPLETELY understand and I've actually apologized to the ones I'm still in contact with.

The more I experience as a single parent, things I don't always share with even my closest friends, the more I hold to the saying..."You don't know someone else's story." My friends may think things are great with me and DS, when the truth is...some days we are just celebrating making it through the day. So, I don't know why that lady made her child get in that stroller, nor is it any of my business. People don't go to Disney to make themselves or their kids miserable. You just never know what people are dealing with. Being a parent has made me that much more aware of that.

However, I understand that there is no way to get someone who is not a parent to completely "get" that, because I was the same way. :)

We have specifically stayed at a monorail resort due to the ease of taking a stroller on the monorail or the ferry. This allows us to stay for fireworks and not have to wake a sleeping child if they fall asleep on the way back to the hotel. I think this is a big draw for those with small children to stay at one of the monorail resorts.

This is the exact reason of y we stay at a monorail resort. We will probably continue to stay at the monorail resorts until my younger son is old enough to walk the parks and we are strollerless. I hope they don't ban strollers on the monorail, that would honestly be a horrible financial decision

Would love to be able to put strollers in a compartment under the bus rather than stand on a the bus holding a stroller and a child.

^This. A 1000 times this. As someone who was there recently with the much hated double wide city mini, I would have loved to be able to put it below or hang it off the front bicycle style. Not only did I feel bad for having my giant folded double stroller taking up room and most likely hitting ankles and getting into peoples way, it's also a huge pain in the A.

Also, there seems to be some hate for stroller people in general. But as with many things, it's not the stroller or the kids that are the problem. It's the attitude of whomever is pushing the stroller. I despise when people are inconsiderate in general. This is exasperated with strollers and it makes the rest of us look bad. Pushing a double stroller through a crowded area without hitting anyone's ankles is hard enough as it is, but feeling like I need to make up for inconsiderate double stroller pushers makes it worse. We're not all bad! I swear it.

^This. A 1000 times this. As someone who was there recently with the much hated double wide city mini, I would have loved to be able to put it below or hang it off the front bicycle style. Not only did I feel bad for having my giant folded double stroller taking up room and most likely hitting ankles and getting into peoples way, it's also a huge pain in the A.

Also, there seems to be some hate for stroller people in general. But as with many things, it's not the stroller or the kids that are the problem. It's the attitude of whomever is pushing the stroller. I despise when people are inconsiderate in general. This is exasperated with strollers and it makes the rest of us look bad. Pushing a double stroller through a crowded area without hitting anyone's ankles is hard enough as it is, but feeling like I need to make up for inconsiderate double stroller pushers makes it worse. We're not all bad! I swear it.
You are right. It's Attitude that is the issue. Attitude of the person pushing the stroller AND attitude of the observer or person judging them. It's a 2 way street. Probably neither is right nor wrong. Just a different view point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter