Strollers on busses and monorails.

1) Alas, I disagree.
2) Carrying kids on the bus is the parents choice, not requirement.
3) I always surrender my seat to oldsters and handicapped.
. . . their condition is usually not one of their making
. . . the deserve our kindness AND OUR RESPECT
4) Holding babies usually is not a chore, as their are carriers that could be used.
. . . holding older kids, who could easily stand is a choice
. . . holding sleepy or tired or cranky kids is ridiculous *

* Parents know that their kids are getting sleepy-cranky-tired. But, they keep them at the parks. They seem to think the kids will act differently at Disney than at home. When the kids start to get out-of-sorts, the parents should know enough to take them back to the resort. I see parents straggling into the resort every day I work, when they should have brought the kids back much earlier. And, I will not go into the number of kid melt-downs caused by the children being cranky after being dragged all day in the parks.

I have an "older kid". She just turned 3. She's not yet walking or standing on her own. So yes, carrying her is a requirement. You can't tell she has developmental delays just by looking at her. It's always so nice to know how we are silently (and sometimes not so silently) judged in public.

To be clear, I would never expect anyone to give up their seat for us, and I would never ask such a thing. DD is happily a cuddlebug, and a very chilled out little girl so she really doesn't get cranky at all - not at home, and not in public. She's a dream to take out and travel with. I just think *everyone* deserves each other's kindness and respect - elderly, handicapped, adults without kids, adults with kids , and kids alike.

I have an "older kid". She just turned 3. She's not yet walking or standing on her own. So yes, carrying her is a requirement. You can't tell she has developmental delays just by looking at her. It's always so nice to know how we are silently (and sometimes not so silently) judged in public.

To be clear, I would never expect anyone to give up their seat for us, and I would never ask such a thing. DD is happily a cuddlebug, and a very chilled out little girl so she really doesn't get cranky at all - not at home, and not in public. She's a dream to take out and travel with. I just think *everyone* deserves each other's kindness and respect - elderly, handicapped, adults without kids, adults with kids , and kids alike.
See, when I find myself around children or adults who are sleepy/tired/cranky/angry/frustrated/rude/hostile, I find that it is my responsibility to make sure I am having a great trip and quietly remove myself. This way, I don't put myself in a position to be angry at or judgmental of others. It wastes time that I could be eating something yummy or enjoying a glass of wine or watching fireworks from any of the non-crowded locations. Am I to give other people that much power? Heck no! Take it upon yourself to plan ahead, and you'll find yourself rarely annoyed.

I starting going to DW in 1974 when my girls were 18 months and 3, we rented stroller at the parks, we went every other year and would go to park in the AM, then pool time and nap, then back out in the evening, never a tired and cranky child. Then along came DGD and we carried her, did rent a golf cart one visit a the Fort, but when we were their for the little ones, we fit our activities to them. Now we are all adults and well, life is much different and we go 4 -7 times a year.

We take a stroller as long as our little ones still take naps. After the nap is gone, so is the stroller. I personally don't like strollers for my kids. They need to learn to walk - the sooner the better.

And count me as one that thinks those huge strollers shouldn't be allowed in the parks. Using one of those in tight quarters is rude, in my opinion.

Darned if you do, darned if you don't. I wonder how many people who complain about kids strollers are the same people to complain if those children AREN'T napping in strollers and are cranky and crying instead sitting on mom or dads lap. In the same vein, how many of you who have been hit by strollers are the ones literally running through the park, dodging in and out of crowds, leaping right in front of strollers to get ahead one whole spot (since they're so easy to stop quickly and all....) Sometimes those strollers are the only things keeping little toddlers from being trampled!

smh :/

Yep....Angel Ariel, you really are an Angel :) You sum it up best.
I also think it's important to remember that just the act having a stroller is not inconsiderate or rude. Are there rude people who also have strollers with them? Yes. Just as there are rude people who don't have strollers with them. Just having a stroller does not make one inconsiderate or rude.

We did years without strollers, we now have a toddler. I agree with many other posters, just be considerate at every stage of your life.

See, when I find myself around children or adults who are sleepy/tired/cranky/angry/frustrated/rude/hostile, I find that it is my responsibility to make sure I am having a great trip and quietly remove myself. This way, I don't put myself in a position to be angry at or judgmental of others. It wastes time that I could be eating something yummy or enjoying a glass of wine or watching fireworks from any of the non-crowded locations. Am I to give other people that much power? Heck no! Take it upon yourself to plan ahead, and you'll find yourself rarely annoyed.
Also, I find just as many cranky, unruly adults who could use a nap as I do children! Seriously. Come on, people! Take yourself back to the resort and put yourself down for a nap by the pool! Life is short!

In the same vein, how many of you who have been hit by strollers are the ones literally running through the park, dodging in and out of crowds, leaping right in front of strollers to get ahead one whole spot (since they're so easy to stop quickly and all....) Sometimes those strollers are the only things keeping little toddlers from being trampled!

We, for two, have never been guilty of that behavior (I'm respectful of ecv's too, as my dad was in one for the last 10 years of his life). Yet we continue to be run over by strollers and ecv's. Mostly by parents pushing strollers and ecv operators who are paying absolutely NO attention to what they are doing. Since we are usually spaced a short way apart from each other, we have both observed the other getting run over. In almost every case, the person who ran one of us over was looking some other direction than their direction of travel.

Unfortunately, I can't bring a tank to WDW to keep us from being trampled, and I would look silly in a suit of armor, so I guess we'll have to just get used to cuts and bruises on our ankles and lower legs if we wish to continue to visit WDW.

I could further comment on the specifics of the groups that are more likely to run you over, but that would be profiling, and as we all know, that is wrong. Even if it is true.

you cannot have an unfolded stroller on a bus because strollers roll and move. And they will tie down scooters and wheelchairs, but they will not tie down your stroller. They don't have room for that. It's not because of consideration, it's a safety issue.

Disney is for kids, god forbid we make it easier for kids to go to disney without inconveniencing you.

Wrong Disney is for everyone its where all ages can be kids again just like Walt wanted. Also I pay to go to WDW and I don't have kids so no it's not just for kids or they would only let people with kids in.

On the topic strollers on the big boats and monorail don't bother me, they should make them fold stroller on the friendship boats they take up a lot of space on those boats and it would be smart to make a way for strollers to be stored under the buses or in front of the bus.

I dont mind giving up a seat for someone with a small child unless its after pm magic hours. Im sorry but I have been on my feet all day too at the park and I am not prepared to give up my seat for someone bringing a sleeping toddler on board. No excuse for a child that age to be out that late-bring them home at a reasonable hour.

I can honestly say in 50 plus trips I have been hit by a stroller one time (and it was intentional and the lady admitted it) and my wife has been bumped by one ECV driven by an elderly lady who was very upset and freaked out by the mob exiting EPCOT.

We've also made multiple trips with strollers and ECVs and the biggest issue is always clueless people who are so bent on getting to the next thing that they don't pay attention to what's around them. ECVs don't have breaks do if you see a 6 inch space and jump in front of one don't get mad of they can't check up. I get that you might be rushing for that next thing on your overly scheduled plan but I'm not going to run with our 2 yr old regardless of whether or not he's in his stroller.

The real issue is common courtesy on a very wide scale. There is way too much me, me, me now and no realization that 3 seconds means nothing in the big scheme of things.

So pregnant ladies, the elderly, the handicapped ( both visible and hidden) should give up their seats for kids? Not going to happen. I doubt that could be legally enforced in the first place.

Moot at this point, anyway. Current policy is that strollers must be folded on all buses and some boats. They are allowed on the monorail and do not (usually) need to be folded. I would like to see Disney limit the size of strollers allowed on Disney transportation. They already limit the allowable size for wheelchairs and ecvs.

Pregnant women, the elderly, AND parents with small children should get first priority seating. It's just the right thing to do.

We just returned from a 8 day visit with a 2 year old and a 4 year old, luckily my children only had to stand once. Children at that age should be seated, its the safe thing for them to do. I stood on this trip 90% of the time because I did have my double stroller folded up, either my wife, or my mother sat with the kids and had them on their laps if needed.

I was very impressed with how people handled the buses this year, people were giving up their seats for the ones mentioned above. I had one case where the buss was jammed full, someone got up for my 2 year old and let him sit in their seat. I was not in a place where i could grab him easily if he started to fall or anything, and of course he fell asleep. There was a nice older gentlemen sitting next to him that told me he would make sure he wouldnt fall.

A couple of years ago we went when my wife was pregnant, there were actually a few cases where she did have to stand on the buses, people were not willing to give up their seats. That I just don't understand, its a big safety hazard.

I dont mind giving up a seat for someone with a small child unless its after pm magic hours. Im sorry but I have been on my feet all day too at the park and I am not prepared to give up my seat for someone bringing a sleeping toddler on board. No excuse for a child that age to be out that late-bring them home at a reasonable hour.

It's disney world....

For god sake give that family a break.

My children were running around like crazy and having a blast, next thing you know you look down and they are passed out.

So you're saying you'd rather sit on your butt and allow a parent to stand on a bus while holding a sleeping child? God forbid that driver have to hit the brakes hard.

Maybe if you can't stand on your feet for that long, maybe you shouldn't be out at the parks either. Just sayin.

Darned if you do, darned if you don't. I wonder how many people who complain about kids strollers are the same people to complain if those children AREN'T napping in strollers and are cranky and crying instead sitting on mom or dads lap. In the same vein, how many of you who have been hit by strollers are the ones literally running through the park, dodging in and out of crowds, leaping right in front of strollers to get ahead one whole spot (since they're so easy to stop quickly and all....) Sometimes those strollers are the only things keeping little toddlers from being trampled!

smh :/

Yep....Angel Ariel, you really are an Angel :) You sum it up best.

We did years without strollers, we now have a toddler. I agree with many other posters, just be considerate at every stage of your life.

First trip with a double stroller this year, last year we did 2 single ones. We had a lot of problems last year with others cutting in front of us or not paying any attention to where they were walking and almost running into us.

This year was different, sure we had some people almost run into us, but not nearly as many as the year before. I only had one incident where I wanted to strangle someone. Getting on the ferry a young lady literally stepped over the front of the stroller and then just stopped. I did not run into her, but I let her know it was not ok to step over my stroller.

I did run into one person, however it was my sister. Did I mean to, or not? I guess we'll never know hahaha. But no seriously, neither one of us were paying attention, luckily it was someone in my party.

Pregnant women, the elderly, AND parents with small children should get first priority seating.
Well I sort of agree with this. I don't agree that by virtue of being Pregnant or elderly or with small children (or any other factor) entitles one to the right to a seat (versus me). That being said, each situation is different. As has been stated SOOOOO Many times, common courtesy (and decency) should be the rule.

To @AJ1983 Be careful about blanket statements about the child that is exhausted tired and sleeping. Disney is a special time. When I was a child, I remember when certain shows came on at night (Wizard of Oz, 10 Commandments, Etc...) that were on past my bed time, mom and dad would let us stay up later (for 10 Commandments, it was MUCH later as it's real long movie) so that we could watch it. I look at Disney the same way. It's a "Special" time and they should be allowed to enjoy it to the max just like you. As far as anyone knows, the parents with the sleepy children at the end of evening EMH may have taken them back at Lunch time, given them a LONG nap before coming back to the park at 8 PM so they were rested, but yet they still get tired, or maybe they were terrible parents and took them through the park at Rope drop and continued all night. The point is, we don't know. That being said, if you are exhausted and need the seat, that's fine, but I am sure (or at least hope) that if someone else was more in need of the seat than you (regardless of the reason), that you would give it up to them. That is the courtesy that we hope all will have.

There have been times I have given up my seat and there have been times that I have not. Every situation is different. I won't pretend that I like cramming in a bus/monorail/boat or whatever and certainly don't enjoy dealing with strollers/ecvs/wheel chairs or whatever, but I accept them as part of their experience to enjoy WDW and I try to make the best of it while still trying (my best) to be civil, polite and courteous. Saddly I am not always successful, but I try. After all, none of us are perfect.

It's disney world....

For god sake give that family a break.

My children were running around like crazy and having a blast, next thing you know you look down and they are passed out.

So you're saying you'd rather sit on your butt and allow a parent to stand on a bus while holding a sleeping child? God forbid that driver have to hit the brakes hard.

Maybe if you can't stand on your feet for that long, maybe you shouldn't be out at the parks either. Just sayin.
If you need a seat, you wait for a bus with seats. We never get on a bus with out children if its standing room only. If when we get to the front and there aren't seats, we step aside and wait for the next one. At peak times, its usually only a five minute wait. I don't rely on strangers to keep my kids safe.

Well I sort of agree with this. I don't agree that by virtue of being Pregnant or elderly or with small children (or any other factor) entitles one to the right to a seat (versus me). That being said, each situation is different. As has been stated SOOOOO Many times, common courtesy (and decency) should be the rule.

I agree with that. They don't have the right to the seat over anyone else, but its just common courtesy.

There was an older gentlemen sitting on the bus, a teenage girl came on, he stood up. The girl was like, no, please, do not get up, please sit back down. The guys wife said..."sweetie, you might as well sit down, no matter what you say to him, he's not sitting back down in that seat, that's just the way he is".

I wanted to give that man a high five.

If you need a seat, you wait for a bus with seats. We never get on a bus with out children if its standing room only. If when we get to the front and there aren't seats, we step aside and wait for the next one. At peak times, its usually only a five minute wait. I don't rely on strangers to keep my kids safe.

Sometimes you don't know if it's standing room only until you get on.

We were there at peak times last week, it wasn't every 5 minutes.

The only times that we saw a bus every 5 minutes, was in the morning at the resort to go to the parks. Otherwise it was the standard 20 minutes between buses.

The games people play about bus seating crack me up. We were leaving MK at about 10:30 one night; the bus was full but not cramped heading to SSR. A couple around our age came on with a toddler. Toddler was quiet, tired, and very well behaved. Mom was probably about 6 months pregnant. Being decent, my wife gave up her seat (and perched on my good knee). Instead of Mom sitting down, DAD sat and held the toddler as mom remained standing. Then they looked at us (clearly expecting us to give them another seat). Instead, I started chatting politely and asked how their day was, and where they were from. About 2 minutes into the ride, Dad stood up, Mom took the seat and the toddler, and we politely chatted until we reached the resort.

Sometimes you don't know if it's standing room only until you get on.

We were there at peak times last week, it wasn't every 5 minutes.

The only times that we saw a bus every 5 minutes, was in the morning at the resort to go to the parks. Otherwise it was the standard 20 minutes between buses.
That has not been our experience. Often we have seen buses doubled up in spots during peak times. And when we are with our children, we generally don't travel at peak times so that we can avoid standing room. It has been a while since I stayed late enough to see Wishes (except when we stayed at BLT) because I don't want to put my kids in situation where they would not be safe. When we traveled during the July 4th week, we never had to stand on a bus and more than once we were the only family on the bus. We planned well and were able to do what we wanted and still had seats when we needed them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter