• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stroller for a 6 year old???

Some people push their kids so hard that the children simply cannot physically stand it and need a place to sit down or they will just pass out. For people who simply will not stop for their children, a stroller is probably a good idea.

For children who aren't pushed too hard, an otherwise-healthy six year old will not need a stroller.

Some people push their kids so hard that the children simply cannot physically stand it and need a place to sit down or they will just pass out. For people who simply will not stop for their children, a stroller is probably a good idea.

For children who aren't pushed too hard, an otherwise-healthy six year old will not need a stroller.

I have to agree with this. We learned our lesson on our first trip with our 6 year old falling asleep doing anything... it was because we went commando and never really stopped. We haven't had an issue with that since and we've gone to WDW once and Sea World once. We probably will not be having a stroller when we go back. Our kids will be 6, 9, 9, and 16. If they get tired we will take a break and swim or have them play on a play ground.. which sounds like it would wear them out more, but both of those actually helped my kids energy levels. :confused3

My DS, just turning 5,hasn't used a stroller in our day to day life since he was 2,but I rented one in WDW this past summer and it worked well for us. I will so the same this coming August when he'll be 5 1/2. We didn't use it all the time, we would park it in one area while we toured and then pick it up again when we were ready to move on. It was particularly handy walking back to our car or to our room.

Every kid is different and to each his own, but there is nothing ridiculous about a 6yo in a stroller at WDW.

I was reading another thread and people are bringing strollers for their 6 year olds. I find this absolutely ridiculous I mean toveach their own but it got me nervous I'm taking my 6 year old DD this Jan and honestly a stroller never crossed my mind. What are others experiences with this?
~I would not bring a stroller for a Kindergartner or First grade child. I am a proud Disney Commando, our family tours "smarter" not harder.

~When my kids were 2 & 4, I brought one stroller that barely got used to the parks and we toured at their pace, so this eliminated the need to take breaks outside of what we normally planned -- also my kids had boatloads of energy when we were winded, lol.

~We never expect our kids to "keep up" with us. We tour the park at the kids pace and in accordance to their needs. With that said, I understand all kids are different and would never judge a child in a stroller. Have fun! :goodvibes

I was reading another thread and people are bringing strollers for their 6 year olds. I find this absolutely ridiculous I mean toveach their own but it got me nervous I'm taking my 6 year old DD this Jan and honestly a stroller never crossed my mind. What are others experiences with this?

Really, I wouldn't let the posts on the DIS influence you. We took dd for the first time at the age of 4 and went most years thereafter without ever needing a stroller. We did go at her pace and took breaks at the hotel in the afternoons. As long as you don't plan on a breakneck commando pace, I've found the kids always have more energy than the adults.

Of course, dd is 22 now so when she's racing around, I remind her that I used to slow down to her pace and make her slow down to mine. ;) Of course, she's now the one who makes comments to me when she sees big kids in strollers--"When I was a little kid, everyone was able to walk just fine." That's when I call her Grandma and ask if she had to walk uphill to school both ways, too.

OP--you'll be fine without a stroller.

I think it depends on the time of year you travel as well.

We have only been going as a family during The month of August.
The heat and humidity gets to you pretty quickly then.
It really zaps the kids of their energy, even super early in the morning.

We bought cheap umbrella strollers for my 6 and 3 year old.
Best decision ever!
However, my 6 year old may not have needed a stroller if they went to DW in January when temps are cooler.

We never used one.We took our daughter at age 4 , during the heat and humdity of September and she walked the entire time.We made it an expectation of the trip that she would walk( she hadn't used a stroller at home since age 3 and I didnt even have one anymore), and most days she long outlasted me and DH...We were at the parks most days open till close.If she was tired we rested.Disney is alot of walking, but also alot of waiting ,sitting and riding.She did fine.No complaints or whining, no lost child and no exhausted parents

My guys were out of the stroller by the time they were 4. They were outrdoors playing, riding bikes,etc. and didn't spend a lot of time in front of TV or playing computer games etc. We weren't commandos though and we were in the parks for them. We toured and did things at their pace. We sat and watched, we ate long lunches and dinners. We were usually there from open to close unless someone got too worn out-and sometimes that was mom-not the kids. So I think it depends on whether you are going to be running around trying to do everything at a fast pace or taking a vacation and enjoying what you do get to do with your family. We could care less if we rode every ride in the park or saw every show while we were there. Our goal was more have fun doing what you got to do, enjoy the family time, enjoy the little things, and enjoy the food. We have been going to WDW parks since the parks opened and have still not done everything there is to do. We go just to relax and have fun together. By not doing everything the first time there it gives you something new to do every time you are there.

My dd's first trip to WDW was when she turned six. Neither of us were, or are, used to walking an average of 6 miles a day...still not the case!!! I never even considered using a stroller for her. We just took things a bit more slowly. No, we didn't get to see and do everything, but that's okay.

I have watched parents struggling with strollers in the crowds after shows and fireworks. You couldn't pay me to use a stroller in those situations. And for some reason, the parents with those strollers are panicking, in the crowds and yelling at others to get out of their way..please, move so we can get through!! Drives me nuts.

Yes, WDW is a lot of walking. And there are a ton of strollers in use. I have seen kids in strollers that had to be very careful about dragging their feet in front of the stroller....yes, they were that tall!!! So, it's up to each family to decide what works for them. If you just take plenty of breaks, and sit down for a bit, the walking isn't all that bad. It's not as if you're running a marathon....you are sitting in shows, on attractions, eating. The walking is broken up quite a bit.

For our 6 year old granddaughter, a stroller was very helpful and it extended our day. Another plus, it serves as a food carrier.

You will be fine without it so don't get yourself worried about not having one. A healthy child of 6 years should have no problem doing the walking necessary. It's not like you walk all day - you walk, you sit, you walk, sit....

I do not agree, but hey, what do I know?

I think this thread is interesting. PPL aren't rudely bashing others, just doing so subtly. Does it really make ppl feel better to do this?

We are going in a few weeks with a 6 and 8 year old. Both are the same size, 48" and 45 pounds. They are both active children without physical disabilities.

We will be taking the sit/stand stroller. Yes, it is hard to push with 2 heavy kids in it, but it sure beats having cranky kids who want to be carried. We also use it to carry water bottles and snacks.

I have never had an issue trying to get around in the crowds with it (we've gone a few times with same stroller in the last few years). Does it take a little longer to get out of the park? Perhaps, but I know exactly where my children are and that they are comfortable. I also know I won't be stuck carrying them.

The kids on "leashes" make me shake my head. Save the leashes for pets, not people.:dance3:

Well try that with my 4 year old autistic son, there is no way we will go without a backpackleash, I have 2 other children and he will run whenever he gets the chance. Judge me all you like, but I rather go home safely with my child then to find him at the bottom of the river near big thunder mountain!

We will take a double stroller this Oct, our kids will be 2, 5 and 6, and esp the 5year old will need a place to rest and pull the canopy down so he can shut the world out. I guess our 6 yr old will alternate with the 2 younger ones.

Shamali said:
Well try that with my 4 year old autistic son, there is no way we will go without a backpackleash, I have 2 other children and he will run whenever he gets the chance. Judge me all you like, but I rather go home safely with my child then to find him at the bottom of the river near big thunder mountain!

We will take a double stroller this Oct, our kids will be 2, 5 and 6, and esp the 5year old will need a place to rest and pull the canopy down so he can shut the world out. I guess our 6 yr old will alternate with the 2 younger ones.

Don't feel bad. People have no idea what it's like to be in your shoes. The animal backpack harnesses are great for many children. Let the jerky judgers judge and enjoy your trip and your little ones :-)

ETA: last trip we saw a family with a dog leash literally clipped onto this child's jacket. Not safe at all. THAT made me do a double take.

If you find it ridiculous and your six year old doesn't need a stroller on a day to day basis, then don't take one. But we don't know your child so we don't know what she does normally. When was the last time she was in a stroller? What are her daily activities? Can she walk distances, like from a bus stop to the entrance of the park? After a long day, can she walk back to that bus stop?

We went in January of this year with our five year old grandson. A stroller was never considered. HOWEVER, that is because of our son who put the stroller away when our grandson was about three (maybe even earlier). BUT, that was because our son's stroller was retired when my son was a ripe old age of 18 months. All because he demonstrated he could walk the entire length of a mall and didn't complain. So we are a walk happy family. I can't pass judgement on any other family because I think we are not typical.

Now, kids that are old enough to shave and being in strollers, that's another topic.

Since Dd turned three she has walked - it is a simple thing actually. We walk at her pace and take cues from her if she needs a break. If she does we sit someplace and watch people or a show or something.

As someone said above if you simy must go, go, go from when the park opens to when the park closes you might need one - but like I said before my kid would be embarrassed. Are these 8 year olds in the strollers not embarrassed to be seen in a decide designed for very small children?

She is even more aware of it bow that we see school friends at the park on a regular basis. So would these eight year olds (6,7) want their friends to see them wing pushed around in a stroller by mommy? I'm amazed by this since my five year old wouldn't have any of it.

Also we go often and have never once lost a child exiting the park. As a matter of fact we only lost one child ever and she wondered off to give away an extra FP. Other the. That they are always within sight - not in a stroller - not even always holding a hand - not even within arms reach. Beyond that they know exactly what to do should they be separated. Maybe I am just to laid back parenting wise - but I can't imagine trying to confine my kid to a three foot radius if me while at Disney World never mind strapped to wheels!

A couple of other things to consider....

if you live close to Disney and have annual passes, (meaning you can pretty much come and go as you please) then it's much easier to follow your child's pace and take breaks whenever you want, so it is certainly doable without a stroller.

But the majority of families are on a once in a lifetime trip, or live far away and cannot go very often so they don't always have the luxury of following their child's lead and deciding it's time to slow down. In this case, I feel It's better to have the stroller.

Also, ask yourself would my child be embarrassed at age 6 to be in a stroller? If the answer is yes, then don't bring one. If the answer is no, then you might want to bring one.

A couple of other things to consider....

if you live close to Disney and have annual passes, (meaning you can pretty much come and go as you please) then it's much easier to follow your child's pace and take breaks whenever you want, so it is certainly doable without a stroller.

But the majority of families are on a once in a lifetime trip, or live far away and cannot go very often so they don't always have the luxury of following their child's lead and deciding it's time to slow down. In this case, I feel It's better to have the stroller.

Also, ask yourself would my child be embarrassed at age 6 to be in a stroller? If the answer is yes, then don't bring one. If the answer is no, then you might want to bring one.

My above posts were mostly about our time before we moved here... the only difference now is my kids see school friends every time... so they would be MORE embarrassed.

We have only lived here since July....

I'm not getting this whole "embarrassment" thing. First, I don't think most people who bring a stroller for an older child plan to use it all day every day. It's likely for at night after a long day or 4-5 days into a trip when everyone is feeling the effects of walking miles a day. I also don't think anyone if forcing a child into a stroller....again, it's likely the child's choice because they are exhausted. Even taking breaks doesn't guarantee that you won't have tired legs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter