Stroller for 8 yr. old? Which one?

My 5 year old (who had just turned 5 a couple weeks before) did walk the entire vacation.

It never even occurred to me I should bring a stroller for her. In her 5 year old opinion, strollers were for babies, not a big girl of 5.

Well, my just about 6 year old does not care what people think of her and is willing to ride in the stroller if she gets tired enough. I bet some on here would probably shun me that she's still in a 5 point harnessed car seat too. My DD is an extremely active, healthy girl so I imagine that she will mostly walk but it's there if she needs a break. And, I only care what my daughter does and having a good time at Disney and don't really care what anyone else chooses to do. Heck to all the rude judgemental people. Life's too short ;).

Thanks so much for that. I've never heard of that brand before. I still don't know what were going to do in terms of a stroller. The biggest thing is that my son doesn't look disabled. Unless you see him in a bathing suit, he looks "normal". Plus, my gracious, my boy is a trooper. I know he'd continue but his muscles almost turn off when fatigued he doesn't like it and he's aware of it, which is hard. I'm tempted to rent just one for both of my kids. That way they can share and he won't feel humiliated if we present it as if its his sister's to share. :/

My son can get up and run if he wanted. But he can't be around so many people without a complete and total meltdown. Don't worry about what other people say or even the remarks you may get, you will never see those people again and they don't know your life or walk in your shoes. We get all kinds of remarks, mostly adults saying they wish they could sit in the stroller. We usually just laugh. Sometimes someone says something mean and I can get a bit of tear. Then I remember they don't know about autism and how lucky they are.

I think Orlando strollers rents the Liberty stroller. If not there is a company in Orlando that does rent the stroller and it makes a huge difference in having it for our son. He can hide from the people, block out the sensory overload and have a great day at Disney just like all the other NT kids.

:hug: Do what is best for you and your family.

If you really need it-- just rent a double from Disney. I've seen plenty of wiped out older kids in those. They're big enough that an older child can curl up semi-comfortably. Honestly, I think I remember even reading about a pregnant mom who got in one toward the end of the day once when she was feeling really bad. I don't know if you could comfortably push BOTH kids at the same time, but you'd have the space for your stuff, for the little one and then when older LO needed it, she could take a break.

My 5 year old (who had just turned 5 a couple weeks before) did walk the entire vacation.

It never even occurred to me I should bring a stroller for her. In her 5 year old opinion, strollers were for babies, not a big girl of 5.

My youngest has done very trip walking since she was 5. We take breaks if need be by watching shows, eating, riding rides, etc.

I know our first trip we saw so many people from home and my daughter would have died of embarassment if I had put her in a stroller.

Is your 8yo disabled? I'm not being snarky, I'm curious because I have son with a neuromuscular disorder and I still don't know what I'm gong to do about him. He's 40 lbs and 6 yo. He doesn't complain, he just collapses when his body gives out. I have a feeling my child would be horrified if I pushed him around in a stroller but carrying him isn't an option. :/

Have you looked at the First Years Ignite? It goes up to 50 lbs and it has a taller backrest than some other umbrella type strollers.

DS was 5 on our last trip and was about 36 lbs and 43 in at the time. He has low muscle tone so he tires easily. This stroller was perfect for him. He even napped in it a few times.

Here's a link to the stroller:

http://www.thefirstyears.com/product/detail/Y11100

If it were me, I wouldn't be pushing 100lbs of kids around all day. I know kids get tired, so I would just take a rest if needed. If I were going to rent a stroller, I would only get a single, and have them take turns. I have twins who are 4, and I have a good stroller, but if I push both of them around it's like 80lbs! It kills my back and wears me out, even in a good stroller.

I have 5 kids, girls 7 and 9, twin 4 year olds, and a baby. We went in May, and they walked ;) We do have a baby, so we took one stroller for her. I find it's harder to get around w/ a stroller, and especially when I had to use the twin stroller when my twins were little. You have to go and park it, go back and get it, ect. With them walking you will be quicker into lines and on to the next ride. You may find you like them being more mobile, not having to lug so much around. I would think it would be SO much easier to navigate thru the crowds w/ walkers vs a stroller.

We have been to Disney several times so I know how hard it can be on a child walking around the park all day. In the past we have always taken our own Joovy sit and stand. But this year my kids are older and the front seat of the sit and stand just isn't an option for them. My DDs are 8yr (59 lbs and 52" tall) and 5yr (40lbs and 42" tall) I am considering renting from Kingdom Strollers because of the better price and more comfort compared to the strollers in the parks.
However, I am wondering if the Double City Elite will have enough leg room. By looking at the photo it seems like there isn't much room for their legs. The foot rest seems really close to the seat. The Mini GT, however, looks to have more leg room than the Elite. The foot rest appears to be lower down for more room for their legs.
Has anyone seen these in person before to make this comparison for me? :confused:

I am really not looking forward to hauling this big double stroller on and off the buses, but I am guessing this is my only option. Renting in the parks just seems to be silly to pay more money for a less comfortable stroller. But then again I am a little worried that these Baby Joggers will look like a "baby stroller" for my eight year old. She won't mind what she rides in as long as she is comfortable. My eight year old is a big complainer when it comes to being tired and uncomfortable!

It looks like you'll need two strollers, as I can't find any double strollers online that will fit a 52" 59 lb child. Looks like you should get a special needs stroller which is made for bigger kids? They have some rental info on the disAbilities forum.

If you do put her in a stroller, be prepared for horrified looks and snarky comments from people. They will also be making comments directly to your daughter. Just a heads up.

I hope that is not true. How awful that an adult would ridicule a child. What if the child has a disability or a broken leg or something? I can't imagine people intentionally say rude things to children. I don't even allow my children to say strollers and diapers are for babies because of special needs, I would hope that adults know better.
I do not think you need a double stroller. Any double big enough would probably be a huge inconvenience. Your 8 your old will probably be fine. I would probably bring a single and switch off if you need it or rent.[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone would be blatantly rude to a child, but might say something along the lines of "you look awfully squished up in that little thing" or "what a sweet little bundle of joy you have!!". Something to let you know she is obviously too big.

If you do put her in a stroller, be prepared for horrified looks and snarky comments from people. They will also be making comments directly to your daughter. Just a heads up.[/QUOTE]
Do people really comment? I'm just surprised. I would think after all the money and planning of a Disney trip that people would be paying attention to themselves, their families and having fun. Didn't realize people would be looking at others passing judgement. Wow.

Meant for that first part of my last post to be quoted. I didn't make that first remark, was trying to quote it.

I hope that is not true. How awful that an adult would ridicule a child. What if the child has a disability or a broken leg or something? I can't imagine people intentionally say rude things to children. I don't even allow my children to say strollers and diapers are for babies because of special needs, I would hope that adults know better.
I do not think you need a double stroller. Any double big enough would probably be a huge inconvenience. Your 8 your old will probably be fine. I would probably bring a single and switch off if you need it or rent.

I don't think anyone would be blatantly rude to a child, but might say something along the lines of "you look awfully squished up in that little thing" or "what a sweet little bundle of joy you have!!". Something to let you know she is obviously too big.[/QUOTE]

I would be shocked if that happened. Why would someone say so something that could make a child feel badly? I guess it is inconceivable to me that people would care about other people so much. Has anyone actually experienced somebody saying something snarky to a child? If somebody said that bundle of joy comment to me, I would be livid. I should not have to explain my family's needs to a stranger.

A&M's Mommy said:
You're going to push your 60 pound 8 year old around WDW in a stroller because she complains about being tired and uncomfortable? Yikes. Have fun with that.

I agree! Lol this is what's wrong with our youth!! Lazy!!

The opinions don't matter, her dd is too heavy for all strollers, except handicap strollers.

OP, my 8 year old is about the same size as yours and there is no way I would be pushing him around in a stroller, that is just too old and too big.

Honestly you're better off telling your child that they'll have to walk and suck it up. My DD is a whiner and I tried to go on long walks to prepare her. A couple of times I had to go back an drop her off home while I continued to walk with her twin brother because she was complaining so much. Every chance I got I told her that this is what it's gonna be like in Disney and she'll have to deal. When we got there she was just fine and had no problem walking all around the parks. Just be firm and tell them the way it's gonna be.

Well, I have seen kids that appear to be older that 8 in stroller more than a few time. I have even seen an adult in a double WDW stroller a few time. Would I do it nope.....but it was working for them. I have also over heard comments made to older kids being pushed in a stroller. Things like "hey, she should be pushing you", "a little old for that, aren't you", etc.

We did a week in January and DS was a young 5. We did take a mid-day break about 1/2 the days. He walked every step we did. I rented a stroller for our late night at Epcot even though he TOLD me that he would NOT ride in a baby stroller. He was right, he flat refused. Your 8 year old will fit into a double stroller, though maybe not a single if you are willing to pay the money and push him around.

Stroller for healthy 8 yr old? None.

We're headed to Disney in January, and my kids will be just turned 5, 3.5, and 9 months. We're renting a double, so DS always has a seat, and the older 2 can rotate. If we need to move quickly or in a big crowd after fireworks, I can wear DS, and both girls have a seat. If they're that tired, we rest or head back to the room. No whining allowed because we're in Disney!

Hi...I'm sorry ppl were being rude too...and have found that with a lot of my questions as well! But more are helpful than not...that is why I keep coming back :) But I do have some insight for you....I am here now! And I have a Double city elite for my kids!! From Kingdom strollers actually...they are very easy to deal with and the stroller was here when it was suppose to be. We have three kids...one is almost four...and is 42" and weights about 40lbs...DH and I are trying to remember now...but we know he is close. Then we have a 6 year old that is very tall for her age (taller than any other girl in her class) and weights around 57 lbs....and they have fit just fine! It's been a life saver...and they have even fallen asleep in it on more than one occasion. No we don't look odd pushing them either...heck tomorrow is day 10 of disney parks...plus we have done three days of others....so if I could sit in it I would!! lol I would rather push them and have a place to store all our stuff than not have one. We also have an 8 year old that is at least 55" and weights around 77 lbs...and she will sit in it for little periods of time if her feet hurt...or its just too hot and she needs a break. So it's worked out great for us...we have said it to each other a dozen times that it was so worth the money. When I called and booked the stroller I talked to Matt and he suggested this one for our families needs...he was very helpful, prompt and friendly. It also comes with a parent console...that we have had loaded to the max our whole trip...a little cooler that fits on the bottom and rain gear that we have put up a few times....a couple for just in case moments when we headed for a long line and the sky looked ominous! Good luck and have a great trip.

OP,
Whatever you do, don't plan to rent a double stroller from the parks. There isn't enough head room for your child to sit in it. The canopies are not retractable and it makes it tough for a taller child to ride in it comfortably. We discovered this a couple years ago when we chose to rent rather than take our own. It was a big mistake.

And as for the age of a stroller rider.... On our last trip, my DD 8 who is a competitive dancer (and in great physical shape) still chose to climb into the stroller (that we brought for DS 5) when she was tired in the late evening and often fell asleep on the way out of the park. I will take pushing a dog tired 8 year old (after falling asleep waiting for the fireworks) over carrying her any day (and yes, we do take an afternoon break/naps). People can say, "make them walk" all they want. But, if having a stroller is a preventative measure that makes everyone happier at the end of a long day, then I am going to use it. When I am standing in line for the monorail with my daughter in a stroller while another's is on a parent's back waiting for 20 minutes, I will choose to think of myself as prepared rather than silly. Just a thought.

That having been said, we will probably still take the stroller again on our next trip for DS... The stroller ends up being a better backpack carrier than a child transporter for the majority of the day, but I will still be much happier at the end of the day if I don't have to worry about getting two tired kids to the car without it.

I'm not going to read all 4 pages of parenting-bashing. I will tell you that I took my 6 1/2 year old to BRU and had her sit in the strollers available for rent so that I would know exactly how she fit in them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter