Strike yer colors, you brazen wench, no need to expose yer superstructure! New p. 16

Sounds like our girls, they get along most of the time, and when they don't, they seem to get over it before we do. I will be doing a trip report and I do plan to do some on the road. So I shall check in. I am planning to journal in a way on here rather than sit and write one each day. I think I type faster than I write these days.

There is something about walking on Main Street that just reminds you that you are back. It usually brings a tear to my eye. I shall start brainwashing them now so that the option of monorail is never ever suggested. :rotfl:

Looking forward to the next installments. And I hope your mouth is feeling better.

Mia

:thanks: My mouth is very sore. I lost the 3 lb I gained on vacation though so that's one good thing. :laughing:

I pray the Monorail though doesn't cross their minds. The sights and smells of Main St cannot be duplicated. :cloud9:

Are you all packed and ready to go? :hyper:

Thank you. :) I'm hoping that all the pictures and videos will be very nice this coming week. The Osborne Family Lights are so amazing.

I have only seen pics but they look unreal. One day I'll make it there during the winter holidays.

Next year we'll be there for F&W and MNSSHP. :woohoo:

I have only seen pics but they look unreal. One day I'll make it there during the winter holidays.

Next year we'll be there for F&W and MNSSHP. :woohoo:

You will love the Osborne Family Lights at DHS. This trip, I will definitely get a video of the show. But there will be a ton of people out there so I have to be prepared for that.

I want to go to WDW during F&W festival as well as try MNSSHP after trying MHP last year.

You will love the Osborne Family Lights at DHS. This trip, I will definitely get a video of the show. But there will be a ton of people out there so I have to be prepared for that.

I want to go to WDW during F&W festival as well as try MNSSHP after trying MHP last year.

What is MHP? Is that Disneyland's Halloween Party? Can't wait for the light video. :thumbsup2

DH downloaded his cell pics so as previously warned, random inserted photos ahead, here are a few pics from Day 1 at Disneyland.

Space Mountain at night, making faces from Toddlers and Tiaras:

IMG_0714.jpg

Space Mountain during the day:

IMG_0710.jpg

Me, Matterhorn:

IMG_0706.jpg

Joshua near the hub (Tomorrowland side):

IMG_0698.jpg

:thanks: My mouth is very sore. I lost the 3 lb I gained on vacation though so that's one good thing. :laughing:

I pray the Monorail though doesn't cross their minds. The sights and smells of Main St cannot be duplicated. :cloud9:

Are you all packed and ready to go? :hyper:

:

I hope you are improving. I had a real bad strain of flu once and lost 7kg very quickly. DH bless him suggested keeping it in a vial in the fridge for emergencies. Not really packed yet, maybe tomorrow night. Or after the Nanna nap that I should probably go and take. Bring on Friday.

What is MHP? Is that Disneyland's Halloween Party? Can't wait for the light video. :thumbsup2

Yes that is correct. Mickey's Halloween Party was great and that party from last year made my plans for MVMCP last year easier of what a exclusive party at a Disney park was like. This time, I plan on getting better spots for the parade, show and fireworks for MVMCP next week.

I hope that everything goes well during the Osborne Family Lights.

F&W at DCA would be really fun! Next year we'll finally be at WDW during F&W. Are DCA's and Epcot's festivals similar?

Other than the fact that they offer food & beverage demos, Sweet Sundays and sell merchandise, they are two completely different types of events. WDW has kiosks around EPCOT which sell small plates of food from various countries. CA food laws do not allow this type of vendors, I think it has something to do with licensed kitchens, but not sure. I spoke a lot with the director of the 2010 Festival and he said CA could not have kiosks, in fact the CA "food police" showed up at every F&W event to make sure they followed the proper "handling" rules.

The demos are handled completely differently. In FL people register in advance for all the culinary and beverage demos and pay $8+ for each one. In CA they are first come first serve and complimentary, but if it's a celeb chef be prepared to arrive at park opening and wait, the line will most likely be cut off by 10AM for a 2PM demo.

Because there aren't the kiosks, in CA each CS place has an offering special for the F&W festival, but they are pricey and full meals, not the snacks like in FL. I mainly enjoyed the "Signature events", locals fill the Winemaker Dinners at Steakhouse 55 every Friday night during the Festival and close out the event with Taste (the equivalent of Party for the Senses which take place almost every week at Epcot), on the final weekend of the festival. All the DLR chefs put together one dish and you can travel around tasting the dish of each of the different chefs along with many wines.

This event happens weekly in FL, and they have so many chefs and restaurants that it varys week to week, plus the visiting chefs for the demos also take part in their event. However, I have heard that the Party for the Senses is such a big event that the entry has been compared to the "running of the bulls" for people to get in and gain the limited seating. It is all you can eat and all you drink for the three hours of the event.

My ultimate favorite that CA has that FL doesn't is the Napa Rose Cooking School. I did it three years in a row and 16 people get the privledge of cooking in the Napa Rose show kitchen under the guidance of Andrew Sutton. What an experience! The first one literally changed my life! I began growing herbs, tomatoes and it changed the whole way that I looked at food.

Of course with a year off and life getting in the way, I am back to packaged meals and my garden is dead. But I hope they bring it back in 2013 and I will be reinspired! I love both festivals, and there are great things for each, but I so hope they bring back the CA festival because it had so many unique things to CA that would never take place in FL and living so close you can't beat it!

I hope you are improving. I had a real bad strain of flu once and lost 7kg very quickly. DH bless him suggested keeping it in a vial in the fridge for emergencies. Not really packed yet, maybe tomorrow night. Or after the Nanna nap that I should probably go and take. Bring on Friday.

Get packing! :hyper: Your holiday is long, I bet there is a ton to pack? How's the weather set to be in Hawaii?

My mouth seems to be healing slowly. The mouth guard they made is cutting into my upper lip. :headache: I think I'd rather have my receeding gum line vs this headache. :laughing:

Yes that is correct. Mickey's Halloween Party was great and that party from last year made my plans for MVMCP last year easier of what a exclusive party at a Disney park was like. This time, I plan on getting better spots for the parade, show and fireworks for MVMCP next week.

I hope that everything goes well during the Osborne Family Lights.

I hope so too. :goodvibes

Other than the fact that they offer food & beverage demos, Sweet Sundays and sell merchandise, they are two completely different types of events. WDW has kiosks around EPCOT which sell small plates of food from various countries. CA food laws do not allow this type of vendors, I think it has something to do with licensed kitchens, but not sure. I spoke a lot with the director of the 2010 Festival and he said CA could not have kiosks, in fact the CA "food police" showed up at every F&W event to make sure they followed the proper "handling" rules.

The demos are handled completely differently. In FL people register in advance for all the culinary and beverage demos and pay $8+ for each one. In CA they are first come first serve and complimentary, but if it's a celeb chef be prepared to arrive at park opening and wait, the line will most likely be cut off by 10AM for a 2PM demo.

Because there aren't the kiosks, in CA each CS place has an offering special for the F&W festival, but they are pricey and full meals, not the snacks like in FL. I mainly enjoyed the "Signature events", locals fill the Winemaker Dinners at Steakhouse 55 every Friday night during the Festival and close out the event with Taste (the equivalent of Party for the Senses which take place almost every week at Epcot), on the final weekend of the festival. All the DLR chefs put together one dish and you can travel around tasting the dish of each of the different chefs along with many wines.

This event happens weekly in FL, and they have so many chefs and restaurants that it varys week to week, plus the visiting chefs for the demos also take part in their event. However, I have heard that the Party for the Senses is such a big event that the entry has been compared to the "running of the bulls" for people to get in and gain the limited seating. It is all you can eat and all you drink for the three hours of the event.

My ultimate favorite that CA has that FL doesn't is the Napa Rose Cooking School. I did it three years in a row and 16 people get the privledge of cooking in the Napa Rose show kitchen under the guidance of Andrew Sutton. What an experience! The first one literally changed my life! I began growing herbs, tomatoes and it changed the whole way that I looked at food.

Of course with a year off and life getting in the way, I am back to packaged meals and my garden is dead. But I hope they bring it back in 2013 and I will be reinspired! I love both festivals, and there are great things for each, but I so hope they bring back the CA festival because it had so many unique things to CA that would never take place in FL and living so close you can't beat it!

The Nana Rose cooking school sounds amazing! Still haven't made it there but someday we will. I've seen your D23 photos which were awesome, do you have any of the F&W at either WDW or DL? I think I like the idea of WDW's better, seems more *festival* like if that makes sense. I love the pictures I've seen of the teeny tiny desserts. Are they more than a bite or two?

I cannot wait for WDW's F&W festival. DH is a total foodie, cooks amazing. He is going to be in heaven. Thank you for the terrific overview. :goodvibes I might actually be able to get DH to read your post since it involves food.

I am working on an update. Should be posted tonight. :flower3:

Day 2, DCA, part one of a few.....

After a fabulous night’s sleep for me and a so-so sleep for DH, he said the room was too hot, we were up and ready to go by 9:00 am. GCV guests are able to get into DCA at 9:15. Soarin’ and Little Mermaid were first on our list with a plan to hit TSMM right at rope drop.

We woke the kids up at 8 am but I was up by 5:30. I am just not a big sleeper, never have been. After 7 hours, I naturally wake up even when I take a sleep aid. I’m a little thing so you’d think a Tylenol PM would last longer but no such luck.

At 7, I finally couldn’t take it and made coffee as quietly as I could cough cough :lmao: I wanted to walk down a little early to snap a few photos.

Chloe and Joshua enjoying cereal on the balcony:

IMG_2486.jpg

Their view:

IMG_2487.jpg

Hidden Mickey in the carpet:

IMG_2488.jpg

Pics of the pics near the elevator:

IMG_2489.jpg

By the fireplace. Look soot:

IMG_2490.jpg

Near the GCV lobby tree:

IMG_2493.jpg

DH and I:

IMG_2497.jpg

Light fixture in the lobby:

IMG_2495.jpg

Outside fireplace which I am guessing is the *smoking* area as there were 3 full trays with gnarly empty cigarette butts. No judging, just stating the facts. ;)

IMG_2499.jpg

Tree inside the souvenir shop inside GCV. I cannot remember the name of the store. Bueller? :confused3

IMG_2501.jpg

A purse I’d actually carry:

IMG_2503.jpg

Some souvenirs and trinkets:

IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2504.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg

Gabby noticed this area and wondered why the GCV carried condoms. :lmao:

IMG_2507.jpg

Cont in next post......

After some photos, we headed to the line to get into DCA. It was much longer than I thought. The girls waiting:

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2510.jpg

As we headed to Soarin'

IMG_2511.jpg

Unfortunately, Soarin’ was having technical difficulties so our only option was Little Mermaid. DH grabbed some FP for Soarin for later. :woohoo:

On the way:

IMG_2512.jpg

The Little Mermaid had a line but constantly was moving, very similar set up to the Haunted Mansion as far as the shells/buggies.

IMG_2513.jpg

IMG_2514.jpg

:sad1: I have to say the Little Mermaid did not live up to the hype. It was cute but I’m not sure we’d ride it again and did not this trip. Fair attempt Disney. I give it a solid B.

After Little Mermaid we still had 15 minutes before rope drop. Not really enough to go back to Soarin’ so we grabbed a mocha, orange juice and a couple of chocolate croissants from the vendor right near the pier. We were right at the rope. :banana: The security guard gave us the walk-do-not-run-lecture and we were on our way. :hyper:

We made it to TSMM sans a wait. Why don’t they have a FP for that ride?

IMG_2515.jpg

Me and Chloe’s scores. I’m the beaver. :teeth:

photo.jpg

We rode Screamin’ and also grabbed FPs for later. It was a walk on. Joshua hates Screamin’ so he waited across the aisle for us:

photo-1.jpg

Joshua has been asking for the Sorcerer Mickey hat since May 2009 at WDW. I thought it was time. ;) We had scored one of those 20% off coupons yesterday so we used it for his hat. After buying the the hat and some (holiday) chocolate covered pretzels to snack on I took a few more photos:

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2519.jpg

They were dying to go on GRR but I sat out this time. I was in white capris. :laughing: But at least I took pics. The first is an indication of how truly empty DCA was and would remain all day:

IMG_2521.jpg

While I waited:

IMG_2524.jpg

They’ll be comin’ around the mountain:

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

After GRR we decided to head to the other side of DCA. To be cont......

Just wanted too add a few thoughts on that morning at DCA. I never tire of using the GCV entrance to get in and out of DCA :lovestruc Not only is it a beautiful resort but really, Disney was spot on with this one. The Grizzly River area is very well themed as is the pier. Lots of good energy and fun to be had. :cool1: I forgot to mention that DH and I ate some fruit before going into DCA and packed the bag with waters, jerky, and BBQ chips. I swear we ate more this trip than I ever remembered eating. I generally don't eat breakfast at home but was ravenous. Maybe it was all the walking or perhaps it's the crack they pipe into the airvents. There is something intoxicating about the whole thing.

Hmm mom why do they sell condoms here? That is both scary and funny at the same time. We won't go into that though.:rotfl:

Some of those ornaments are adorable, the cost not so much. I know what you mean about being hungrier while you are there. I eat all three meals while I am there and not so much otherwise.

Hmm mom why do they sell condoms here? That is both scary and funny at the same time. We won't go into that though.:rotfl:

Some of those ornaments are adorable, the cost not so much. I know what you mean about being hungrier while you are there. I eat all three meals while I am there and not so much otherwise.

She knows what condoms are for but understandably doesn't equivocate Disney and safe sex. :rotfl: I said you have to be safe, even at Disneyland. ;)

I ate more junk than ever. DH didn't say no the kids with regards to treats at all this trip. I have all of the receipts but haven't had the gumption to add them up. :scared1:

I do have a cute souvenir/money story. We decided to give the kids $75 for souvenirs each for the entire trip. We both though that was fair. I was hoping for $100 each and DH was leaning towards $50 so we compromised at $75. Well, Gabby said she wanted to spend some of her bat mitzvah money for clothes on the trip. She is saving for a car- we'll match what she saves. But it is her money and she did earn it. She worked her guts out for it so we agreed she could have $200. You know what she did?

She kept $100 for herself and gave $50 each to her siblings. That gesture seriously warmed our hearts to the point of busting. :love: We kept a total of what they could spend. They spent every penny over the course of the trip.

We never did take the money from her account. ;) The fact that she would share so generously and all on her own made it worth not having her spend her hard earned money. She doesn't know I left it in her account and I have no intention of telling her. She grew up so much this trip. :lovestruc Thanks for putting up with my sappy mommy moment. :grouphug:

And this is the moment that you know you have done it all right with your kids. Aren't those moments nice?

And this is the moment that you know you have done it all right with your kids. Aren't those moments nice?

:thumbsup2 Yes. I generally mess up on a daily basis, what parent doesn't but for a few brief moments, I felt we really were raisng a kind, loving, thoughful citizen who will give back in this lifetime.

If you can show me someone who doesn't slip at one point or another when raising their kids I will show a miracle. No one of us has a perfect moment. thank goodness. That is what keeps the rest of sane.

Condoms at Disney does seem out of place. :rotfl:
Love all of your photos. What a great morning!

That was so generous of Gabby. Being kind, thoughtful, and a good citizen is so important. As a teacher, I see both ends of the spectrum. I wish more parents were like you and your DH and more kids were like Gabby.

If you can show me someone who doesn't slip at one point or another when raising their kids I will show a miracle. No one of us has a perfect moment. thank goodness. That is what keeps the rest of sane.

:goodvibes It's such a crap shoot. :rotfl2:

Condoms at Disney does seem out of place. :rotfl:

I don't know why I found it so funny but like Gabby they seemed very out of place especially across the aisle from the pin sets. :lmao:

Love all of your photos. What a great morning!

:thanks: My camera sucks but I do what I can. I really enjoyed taking so many. I'm hoping to make a coffee table book of our trip to Disney.

That was so generous of Gabby. Being kind, thoughtful, and a good citizen is so important. As a teacher, I see both ends of the spectrum. I wish more parents were like you and your DH and more kids were like Gabby.

:hug: Thank you, we try. It's such a fine balance between teaching them, protecting them, and giving them the skills and ethical framework to become productive member's of society. It's the toughest job ever! Well worth it but having someone's psyche and self-esteem in your hands in a major responsibility. As an educator, I know you deal with this daily. :worship:

We were headed to the Back lot area of DCA. I don’t even know the *real* name of that area. :blush: Here is a cute photo of Goofy along the construction walls? I spoke with a CM who said the big mission type building is supposed to be a restaurant but generally upper management keeps them in the dark. Haha! I know the feeling. ;)

IMG_2525.jpg

Our plan was to head to ToT, ride, and grab a FP and possibly hit up Monster’s Inc. We were all kind of luke warm on Monster’s Inc. DCA was empty. Literally. I have never seen it like that. Ever. On the way the Pixar Parade was starting so I stopped and snapped a few photos. It was really cute and short and great for younger kids:

IMG_2526.jpg

IMG_2527.jpg

IMG_2528.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

We didn’t watch the whole show as my older gang was ready for the thrills that only ToT offers:

IMG_2530.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

We got through the entire line and Joshua decided he didn’t want to ride. He is so funny when it comes to what he will and won’t ride. He will ride things like Expedition Everest and Rock n Roller Coaster at WDW but won’t go near ToT or Screamin’. He is a Space Mountain junkie. We don’t pressure him whatsoever. The ToT CM was lovely and kept Joshua with her the entire time. Even when we got off the ride he was waiting right where we got on- she didn’t send him to wait at the end. Love Kathy. I will be sending an email to Disney.

From the iPhone. Michael got a little too carried away in this one. :rotfl:
photo-2-1.jpg

They all rode again while Joshua and I shared some chocolate covered pretzels. It was then he confessed to me, in great detail, why he believes Disneyland is far superior to DCA. Have I mentioned what a bight little buggar he is? That boy was preaching to the choir. He had a great attitude all day but like me, he would have rather been at Disneyland. We pretty much church up our love of DCA for DH’s benefit. We love him too much to tell him his park doesn’t hold a candle to ours. After ToT we went to Bug’s Land. We rode everything in order; Flik’s Flyers, Frances’ Ladybug Boogie, Tuck n Roll bumper cars, and Heimlich’s Chew Chew. Chloe adores Bug’s Land still. I was very proud of Gabby for sucking it up and having fun even though she’s a too-cool teenager who almost has her driver’s permit. I love all of the little details.

IMG_2532.jpg

IMG_2534.jpg

IMG_2536.jpg

IMG_2537.jpg

IMG_2541.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

Beast! :lmao:
IMG_2545.jpg

Heimlich’s:

IMG_2547.jpg

IMG_2549.jpg

One last Bug’s Land photo. I loved these ornaments:

IMG_2550.jpg

Cont. in next post....

By this time we were starving! We decided the wharf area would be best as it offers many choices. On the VERY empty wharf:

IMG_2552.jpg

While the wharf offers a lot of choices, we couldn’t find a French fry in sight. :scared1: Chloe is a fry fanatic. I will post what we ordered however I got only one photo but perhaps the most important photo of the meal:

Rita's Grand Margarita - Rita's Margarita with a splash of liqueur $7.29

photo-3-1.jpg

Told ya! :teeth:

From the Pacific Wharf Café we ordered:

(1) Salinas Turkey Sandwich - Slices of smoked turkey, piled high with tomato, lettuce, Swiss cheese, on freshly baked bread. $8.19 This came with a small bag of chips.

From The Lucky Fortune Cookery we ordered:

Each bowl contains steamed rice and seared Asian vegetables. $9.49
Step 1: Choose your favorite
Chicken
Beef
Tofu

Step 2: Choose your sauce
Mandarin Orange
Spicy Korean
Thai Coconut Curry
Teriyaki

One was Teriyaki Chicken and the other was Thai Coconut Curry. The Thai was yum! We shared as usual. We had a half a turkey sandwich left that made a fabby late night snack for Gabby.

Joshua got Teriyaki Chicken and Rice $6.49 Served with fruit cup and choice of small Low-fat milk, Minute Maid juice box or small Dasani water. He chose a juice box.

After lunch we still hadn’t been on Soarin. It’s always our first ride at DCA. This trip was full of bucking the system. :eek: ;) We saw these guys on the way:

IMG_2553.jpg

We finally got to ride our beloved Soarin’. In line:
IMG_2554.jpg

Puddy with my cell phone. I honor the no flash rules:

IMG_2557.jpg

Now I know how they feel. :blush:

IMG_2555.jpg

We also grabbed FPs. This is what our totally unnecessary FP collection looked like:

IMG_2556.jpg

Cont in next post....

At this point it was time for GRR again and again and again…There was no wait. None. Zero. Zip. They ran on while I went to get a poncho. ::yes:: I am one of those those. I own it. :snooty:

IMG_2560.jpg

IMG_2563.jpg

What’s it to ya?

IMG_2564.jpg

IMG_2565.jpg

My poncho worked really well :rolleyes: :lmao:

IMG_2567.jpg

In total, the kids rode GRR 5 times in a row. They were soaked and it was time to run up to our very close villa and change. I cannot express enough how much I enjoy the location of the GCV.

We all changed, made some popcorn, had a drink, and headed back out.

Chloe finally bought the Dale hat she’d been asking for since 2009 before we Jumped with some Jellyfish.

IMG_2568.jpg

Pics from the view on JJ:

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

After, Chloe and Joshua did the Silly Swings twice. They make the rest of us sick so we just waited and guess what? I took photos. Kooky, I know.

The wreath at Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta:

IMG_2574.jpg

The tree at BWP&P:

IMG_2575.jpg

A poinsettia at BWP&P:

IMG_2576.jpg

A purdy flower:
IMG_2577.jpg

Amusing me:
IMG_2578.jpg

The Phineas and Furb parade:
IMG_2580.jpg

After the kids all rode Goofy’s Sky School. Twice. Without a wait. The low crowds were so nice. :cloud9:

By this time we were all, even DH though he wouldn’t admit it, ready for a little Disneyland time. :lovestruc

On the way out of DCA we grabbed a few snacks; churros, a frozen banana, and a Tollhouse ice cream sandwich.

Up next we head over to Disneyland. :woohoo:

To be continued……

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter