Strangers at our door this morning

NFLDERS

Stay Safe
This being Remembrance day, and it was 10:30 am when two men were knocking on our door; Red flags went up in me. We are in the country, and pretty much never have unexpected callers. So.. I had DH secure our retriever (because given the command to offer a hug to do so he moves quickly stands up, places his paws on the receivers shoulders, and expects them to hold his 100+ lb weight.) and step outside while I watched with our phone at the ready.

The fact that it was about the time we would normally be downtown at our Cenotaph but were not able to attend today made me very leary of visitors. They claimed to be doing visitation for their church. DH believed them end of story.

I really hate feeling this skeptical but it's ingrained in my nature.

Last edited:
This being Remembrance day, and it was 10:30 am when two men were knocking on our door; Red flags went up in me. We are in the country, and pretty much never have unexpected callers. So.. I had DH secure our retriever (because given the command to offer a hug to do so he stands up, places his paws on the receivers shoulders, and expects them to hold his 100+ lb weight.) and step outside while I watched with our phone at the ready.

The fact that it was about the time we would normally be downtown at our Cenotaph but were not able to attend today made me very leary of visitors. They claimed to be doing visitation for their church. DH believed them end of story.

Tough way to live...sorry (genuinely) that you feel so threatened by something as mundane as a knock on your door. :flower3:

Tough way to live...sorry (genuinely) that you feel so threatened by something as mundane as a knock on your door. :flower3:

seriously? given what goes on in the world everyday, if you live out in the country or a rural area (as we do), and don't expect people knocking on your door, I too would have reacted in the same way. An elderly neighbor of ours who was experiencing dementia, opened her door to a stranger, (she thought it was her son), and he robbed her of cash and jewelry.

It's easy to be cynical in these days. But I am guessing that your husband was polite and didn't greet them at the door with a gun. There is no harm in being cautious and it's good that all turned out well.

Thanks, we actually are fortunate we rarely have unexpected visitors years can go by without one.

Last edited:
It's easy to be cynical in these days. But I am guessing that your husband was polite and didn't greet them at the door with a gun. There is no harm in being cautious and it's good that all turned out well.

We could own a shotgun because we live in an area where livestock, and coyotes live. We have chosen not too. I've "seen" guns used solely for hunting for food by relatives in Newfoundland. DH is more familiar as his dad hunted to supplement food for their family of nine while he grew up here in Ontario. Neither of us have seen a handgun irl.

Last edited:
This being Remembrance day, and it was 10:30 am when two men were knocking on our door; Red flags went up in me. We are in the country, and pretty much never have unexpected callers. So.. I had DH secure our retriever (because given the command to offer a hug to do so he moves quickly stands up, places his paws on the receivers shoulders, and expects them to hold his 100+ lb weight.) and step outside while I watched with our phone at the ready.

I live out in the boonies on ten acres and the only folks who knock on our door are church folks. But I get what you're saying, out in the country we don't expect a knock on the door, they're supposed to honk when they drive up so we don't greet them with a shotgun. :rotfl:

So, wait: If these people were doing visitations, was it from church you've visited? Or were they just randomly going house to house?

Nothing wrong with being skeptical. Better to be too careful than not enough. You always read about those not careful enough in the news, not the other way around.

We, too, live in the county. We have two deputies that live in our 25 house subdivision. 5 years ago a 22 year old girl arrived at her home around 11 pm. Ex boyfriend jumped her from behind her bushes and stabbed her 8 times killing her in her own driveway while her friend was sitting in the living room with the lights on. This happened approximately 1 mile down the road from our subdivision. Earlier this summer a young man knocked on my door. We have lots of kids in the neighborhood so they are always selling fundraiser stuff. Not a big deal to have a knock on the door. Well, this different as he wasn't a kid and I didn't recognize him. First bad sign, no shoes on his feet, second bad sign, he was selling raffle tickets for a cancer benefit with no paper work, third bad sign saying he was with the American Legion. American Legion does not go door to door asking for donations of any kind. So, after I said let me see your paper work and he said it was in the car I told him to have a nice day. As I was getting ready to call one of our deputies I could see from the kitchen window there was one already there. Surprise, surprise, come to find out he was wanted on breaking and entering and someone else in the neighborhood already called the police.

If you don't have a storm door, I highly recommend one. They help with energy cost and it is added security. We have a storm door that is glass but it has a film in between that collapses if it is hit with anything so a hand, bat, rock, etc... cannot make it through. Always keep it locked as you can still have a conversation through the glass and if they can't hear you, close the door. If it is that important for me see paper work, fundraiser stuff, whatever, I'll come outside and lock the door behind me that way if something does go wrong they won't be able to get inside very easily.

I don't live in fear but I am prepared for the worse and hope for the best.

Got TIRED of unwanted solicitors:eek: at our door, especially in the summer. After posting a small sign right above our doorbell, red lettering highlighted in yellow(so that it can't be missed),to serve as "notice", ABSOLUTELY no solicitation, ever since posting the sign about a year now, have not had any solicitors. If I want something I will go to a store and purchase it, I have no interest in being bothered answering the door with solicitors.:scared1: GOOD LUCK!:goodvibes

We don't have a lot of visitors to our door either, and having three large dogs is of enormous comfort. They all go ballistic at the door (unless it's the trainer and then they are good as gold - how they know when she's at the door when they can't see her yet is beyond me). Ain't nobody gonna chance that our dogs don't mean business!

Got TIRED of unwanted solicitors:eek: at our door, especially in the summer. After posting a small sign right above our doorbell, red lettering highlighted in yellow(so that it can't be missed),to serve as "notice", ABSOLUTELY no solicitation, ever since posting the sign about a year now, have not had any solicitors. If I want something I will go to a store and purchase it, I have no interest in being bothered answering the door with solicitors.:scared1: GOOD LUCK!:goodvibes

I believe this group is exempt from solicitors status or at least they consider themselves to be.

We tend to get a lot of solicitors every spring, and I hate dealing with them. If I'm not expecting anyone, and I don't recognize the person through my peephole, I refuse to open the door. I also make it a point to crank up the TV or make noise so the person is aware I'm home and intentionally ignoring them. If I want your cable service, alarm system, religion, or whatever else you're selling, I promise I'll come to you.

IndyRnRfan:. We had a storm door on our first subdivision home's entrance door (14 yrs). We've been in this rural home for almost 30 yrs, and have never felt the need for a storm door. We did have an intercom in the first few yrs but wasn't used past the novelty stage, and in our long winter months it didn't weather well so.. we took it down. Maybe we'll look at a storm door again if we see an increase from here on in of unexpected visitors.

Last edited:
We tend to get a lot of solicitors every spring, and I hate dealing with them. If I'm not expecting anyone, and I don't recognize the person through my peephole, I refuse to open the door. I also make it a point to crank up the TV or make noise so the person is aware I'm home and intentionally ignoring them. If I want your cable service, alarm system, religion, or whatever else you're selling, I promise I'll come to you.

This is what I do when I'm home alone but DH's got to know the whom and why?

Okay I live in the city and would expect more visitors but I would have been leary as well. The only visitors I get are law enforcment coming to pick me up for work.

I have a lot of door to door guys selling shrimp( we live near the open shrimp season area of our state)
They are usually scruffy-if I see them coming in my driveway- I wave them off

Good luck we have a no solicitors sign still get one once a year

This is what I do when I'm home alone but DH's got to know the whom and why?

That is a good idea I well remover that the next time I get a solicitor

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter