storm coming....what's the plan?

starjazz

DIS Veteran
With the big Pacific storm brewing for Friday and Saturday, what is the expectation for Disney? Do they ever shut down all together? Or just the outdoor rides?

Those are two of our four days, so we're hoping for a few breaks in there, but we know California needs the rain.

With the big Pacific storm brewing for Friday and Saturday, what is the expectation for Disney? Do they ever shut down all together? Or just the outdoor rides?

Those are two of our four days, so we're hoping for a few breaks in there, but we know California needs the rain.

They don't close the parks, and most of the rides even stay open during rain (even heavy rain!). The only rides/area that might close down until the rain stops, would be things that are outside like teacups, dumbo, screamin, etc. Some areas can be really slippery when wet, be unsafe or just plain uncomfortable with rain pelting you in the face...parades and fireworks might be cancelled too...other than that, everything is as normal. The best thing about rainy days is that it keeps the crowds nice and low since most socal's won't come to the parks in the rain. :thumbsup2 Just bring waterproof rain coats or ponchos, appropriate socks and footwear, and maybe some mittens to keep the chill off fingers. That's our plan!! Have a great time!!

On our trip we had rain our MM and there was virtually no one in the park it was nice!!

That is funny - I just posted a thread about the same thing.

We are there for 9 nights so not sure how much park time we will spend Fri/Sat - my main concern is our Friday flight being cancelled, delayed is certainly likely at the very least.

However, I am curious to see for myself how empty the parks can become if it does rain quite a bit - I mean we have only had a few sprinkles one day over the entire duration of our last two trips, both over a week each.

We went on Christmas Eve 2008 or 2009 it was raining and completely dead. We got through both parks in one day. It was awesome.m:cool1:

If all this cancels entertainment, especially the fireworks, Fantasmic!, and World of Color... I am gonna be super bummed. That stuff makes the trip for us. And closures of rides potentially happening would through us for a loop too... sounds like this storm is really gonna mess with our touring plans! Of all the dry spell it had the chance to rain, fate choses our brief 4 days... really? I hope things turn out alright. :sad:

Fireworks generally go in the rain unless there's lightening.
Fantasmic! can go in the rain and often has, but certain elements may be altered or removed completely. Lightening will cancel it completely.
Rain generally turns a parade into a character cavalcade.

- Dreams

If all this cancels entertainment, especially the fireworks, Fantasmic!, and World of Color... I am gonna be super bummed. That stuff makes the trip for us. And closures of rides potentially happening would through us for a loop too... sounds like this storm is really gonna mess with our touring plans! Of all the dry spell it had the chance to rain, fate choses our brief 4 days... really? I hope things turn out alright. :sad:

There is nothing you can do about weather - if it's going to rain, then making the best of it is all you can do. I really hope that we are able to fly in on Friday, outside of that, show/ride closures will be a minor inconvenience as the area needs rain and desperately.

My favorite memories of Disneyland are all of Disneyland in the rain. It's especially magical after the sun goes down and the lights are reflected in the puddles. Keeps the crowds down. If you're prepared it's a wonderful experience. Ponchos and a change of clothes. And have fun. Also, now considering driving up to Disneyland Friday morning...

We were there in Oct. when it rained for about 1/2 a day. We waited and waited to for the parks to empty, we were actually excited about the rain, no one ever left. All you saw was yellow disney raincoats everywhere.

I suggest be prepared, expect that you will probably be getting wet and just go with the flow and have a great time. The rain coats at disney are pricey I forgot exactly, but it was like $25 for 3. And they reeked of plastic. I couldn't wear mine at all it was making me feel sick just after a few minutes. So I used mine to cover up our stroller and just dealt with getting wet.

Rain boots or something of that, especially for kids, take as little things as possible so they don't get wet, rain coat/poncho, a nice big one and have fun!!

You are going to DIsneyland!! yah!!! just alittle jealous

Probably depends who's in the park. I live near Seattle and people visiting from up here probably wouldn't even notice.

Probably depends who's in the park. I live near Seattle and people visiting from up here probably wouldn't even notice.

I agree.
It started to sprinkle during one of our trips and as everyone scattered for cover, they looked at us as if we grew a second head as we continued to walk around in just t-shirts.

Gotta love the empty boat on splash mountain - I am thinking you'd already be wet - why not?

Thanks for sharing - that actually made me kind of excited about going in the rain now!!

Rain is really the only offseason left. People complain about crowds all the time. Rain is the only thing that will limit that. There will be plenty for you to do, and you should get done it much faster if its raining! I would go on things like RSR and Screaming if you are there before the rain starts, since they will be affected. Also try to catch any outdoor entertainment on non rainy days. Any of the rides that are indoors should not have much wait at all. You might feel like you have a ton of extra time in the day without the waiting. Bring ponchos, and a bunch of extra socks and have a blast!

I have a question, since I will be there this weekend. If it is raining at the time, will they still make us stand in line for Aladdin or will they let us into the theater early? I really want to see it but I'm not too keen about standing in line for 30 minutes while it rains on me (even with a poncho).

I have a question, since I will be there this weekend. If it is raining at the time, will they still make us stand in line for Aladdin or will they let us into the theater early? I really want to see it but I'm not too keen about standing in line for 30 minutes while it rains on me (even with a poncho).

If you dont want to wait outside, its likely most other people arent going to want to wait outside either. I would try to walk up about 15 minutes before the show starts in one of the earlier shows and see if you can get good seats. If that doesnt work, just wait it out for a later show. I think youll be able to get good seats if it is raining.

Aladdin probably WONT be showing Saturday and Sunday due to the Cheer Competition. So make sure to see it Friday just in case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter