• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stores With "No Public Bathroom"

Status
Not open for further replies.
there seems to be a feeling of entitlement here, "I'm purchasing something so there fore you should provide me with a restroom or else I wont spend my money here"

Like a PP has said, in Europe, restrooms in shops, even in places like Starbucks are not a given. Places like sit down restaurants and malls yes, and some department stores but in general stores like The Disney Store, or regular clothes shops, convenience stores, gas stations and so much more just don't have "public restrooms"

I have lived in Munich, London and Edinburgh and travelled to many European cities. There are public restrooms in subway stations, train stations, malls etc with varying degrees of cleanliness. Over the years when I have needed a restroom when I am out and about, I would never expect a convenience shop, supermarket, clothes shop etc to have a restroom.

OP said she was purchasing a few things. That is not just a bottle of water. If she was on a break or lunch then that is different but that is not what I got from the OP.

And lol @ postal workers and bahtroooms

OP said she was purchasing a few things. That is not just a bottle of water. If she was on a break or lunch then that is different but that is not what I got from the OP.

The OP said she went in to deliver the mail too, so that to me mean she was working.

I worked in a maternity store in the mall for 3 years. We had a public restroom, and even when people weren't buying anything from us, they remembered that we had a public restroom and came in to use it. The sad thing is that people think they are above everyone else - if they don't have to clean it, they don't care what kind of mess they (or their children) leave. Not their problem. We live in a world where everyone only cares about themselves and people feel as if they are entitled or special. I can't even tell you the foul things I cleaned up in that bathroom. Most of the time people would leave a mess and not even tell me. I don't mind cleaning a toilet and wiping a mirror, but sadly that is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to how filthy people and children are.

there seems to be a feeling of entitlement here, "I'm purchasing something so there fore you should provide me with a restroom or else I wont spend my money here"

Like a PP has said, in Europe, restrooms in shops, even in places like Starbucks are not a given. Places like sit down restaurants and malls yes, and some department stores but in general stores like The Disney Store, or regular clothes shops, convenience stores, gas stations and so much more just don't have "public restrooms"

I have lived in Munich, London and Edinburgh and travelled to many European cities. There are public restrooms in subway stations, train stations, malls etc with varying degrees of cleanliness. Over the years when I have needed a restroom when I am out and about, I would never expect a convenience shop, supermarket, clothes shop etc to have a restroom.

I've never been to Europe, so I have no idea what places provide bathrooms and which ones don't. But, I have traveled quite a lot in the United States and I have never, ever been to a gas station that doesn't have a public restroom. Most have "men's" and "women's", some are unisex, and most are inside the gas station (and most are now small "convenience stores" as well) but even older ones have bathrooms where you have to enter them from the outside (sometimes asking for a key from the attendant) and I have seen a few with just a porta-potty in the back. But always, some form of bathroom is available to everyone.

The OP said she went in to deliver the mail too, so that to me mean she was working.

I would imagine she was delivering their mail, needing to use a restroom, and purchasing something either for her lunch or one of her breaks but to know for sure I would have to ask her.

I'm thinking perhaps you have never had an " outside job ", EMS worker, police, us post office, Fed-ex, landscaper, the list goes on and on. As long as our jobs get done we are free to go into a store, restaurant, coffee shop and make purchases. She wasn't doing her weekly grocery shopping for goodness sakes...although she may have had a better chance at finding a public restroom there.

I worked in a maternity store in the mall for 3 years. We had a public restroom, and even when people weren't buying anything from us, they remembered that we had a public restroom and came in to use it. The sad thing is that people think they are above everyone else - if they don't have to clean it, they don't care what kind of mess they (or their children) leave. Not their problem. We live in a world where everyone only cares about themselves and people feel as if they are entitled or special. I can't even tell you the foul things I cleaned up in that bathroom. Most of the time people would leave a mess and not even tell me. I don't mind cleaning a toilet and wiping a mirror, but sadly that is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to how filthy people and children are.

I understand what you mean, I used to work in a restaurant. Some people are just pigs. So sad. :(

And when I first posted I wasn't thinking about the "pigs" of the world, but I do understand store owners wouldn't want to continually have to clean up after people who refuse to clean up after themselves.

It's just too bad they feel they have to tell everyone "no, you can't use the restroom" because of that.

Heck, I even understand them maybe not wanting to allow people to use it because of the added cost. Toilet tissue, soap and water aren't free. :) But I would have no problem handing over a couple of dollars to cover the cost of those items if I was in dire need of a restroom.

My friend is a mail carrier and if he needs a break and he's not by his car he will just sit on someone's stairs..no one has ever had a problem with it. He's also asked to use someone's bathroom, again with no issues. He's early 40's if that means anything..

The sad thing is that people think they are above everyone else - if they don't have to clean it, they don't care what kind of mess they (or their children) leave. Not their problem. We live in a world where everyone only cares about themselves and people feel as if they are entitled or special. .

Yes 10000 times yes (where is the high five smily)

I've seen pictures of pop up urinals on the sidewalk with no **ahem** privacy. Not sure what they might have for women.

In the 90s San Francisco ordered some fancy French automated self cleaning toilets from a French company. They did charge a quarter, but now they're free. Homeless could get free tokens when they went for other services.

I've seen pictures of pop up urinals on the sidewalk with no **ahem** privacy. Not sure what they might have for women.

These are in the UK, I have seen them in London also. The council usually put them out at night time in areas which have alot of pubs / clubs .

The manufacturer seems to be getting requests for them from all over the world. However, I've read about the occasional injury.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...pup-toilet-accident-in-amsterdam-9892788.html

We have permanent installations similar to these in my city. They're called pissoirs, and men actually do use them. They are disgusting. I hold my nose when walking by one. So disgusting, and they don't stop people from going other places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pissoir

In the stores I have worked in with no public bathrooms, they have had lots of boxes and extra cleaning supplies piled in that bathroom. I can absolutely see them not wanting to let anyone in there.

And honestly, if they do it for one person, they'll have to do it for the next. It's so much easier to have a blanket policy.

Last edited:
I'm thinking perhaps you have never had an " outside job ", EMS worker, police, us post office, Fed-ex, landscaper, the list goes on and on. As long as our jobs get done we are free to go into a store, restaurant, coffee shop and make purchases. She wasn't doing her weekly grocery shopping for goodness sakes...although she may have had a better chance at finding a public restroom there.

Dont forget salespeople on the road too! My DH knows what places have the best bathrooms and who allows and who doesnt allow public access. And people do personal things on company time all the time, if you say "well I never" I suspect you will look like Pinnochio soon

We have permanent installations similar to these in my city. They're called pissoirs, and men actually do use them. They are disgusting. I hold my nose when walking by one. So disgusting, and they don't stop people from going other places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pissoir

You don't have these ones down there ?
sanisette-decaux.jpg

They are free and self clean between each persons visit

sanisette-decaux.jpg

We have disgusting old versions of them, and the "self-cleaning" is basically spraying everything down so that it's wet. The floors just get muddy and the whole thing is smelly.

I'm surprised they wouldn't allow their Mail carrier to use their employee bathroom , if they had one.

sanisette-decaux.jpg

That's the kind San Francisco got. They traded the installation and maintenance for advertising signs. However, San Francisco has a different cosmetic design.

IMG_4996.JPG

However, I heard of a fatality in one of the early versions. The self cleaning cycle apparently started while occupied and the floor crushed the occupant. I believe they have several emergency stop buttons now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter