Stores With "No Public Bathroom"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now it's inhumane to refuse restroom service? Good lord. Don't travel then.

I always love how every situation is turned into the worst scenario. Most likely people politely ask and are politely declined and both people go merrily on with their day. On the DIS people about to spew bodily fluids go running into a store where an evil clerk shouts you shall not pass while laughing as the customer cries, stomps and threatens to spew, bawooosh and deficate on their store floor. When they don't get there way they let their body explode on the store floor and then run out leaving the evil clerk to clean the mess up. Seriously I don't know what world some of these people live in, but I am always more and more thankful for all that my community has to offer...like sane people living in it for one.

Oh yes, because he wants to use a BATHROOM!

You people are unbelievable.

If he won't use pull-ups when you go out, then perhaps you need to leave him home until he has enough control to wait until you find a public bathroom. This is NOT about what he wants.

I don't need to boycott any business like these because no one in my neck of the woods I've encountered is inhumane enough to take this stance. That seems to rest solely on the Disboards and their maniacal bowing and scraping to businesses.
You would hate shopping in our mall in our town then. It is a big mall anchored by Nordstrom, Macy's and Dillards. There are lots of upscale stores such as Coach and regular stores like GAP. Except for the 3 big anchors, not a single store allows public access to their bathrooms, if they even have one. Some stores don't even have bathrooms. Their employees go out in the mall and use the public access bathrooms.

It has nothing to do with humaneness. A business is, shockingly, a business. They are not in the habit of putting their business at risk of being sued if there is a liability issue using a bathroom.

I always love how every situation is turned into the worst scenario. Most likely people politely ask and are politely declined and both people go merrily on with their day. On the DIS people about to spew bodily fluids go running into a store where an evil clerk shouts you shall not pass while laughing as the customer cries, stomps and threatens to spew, bawooosh and deficate on their store floor. When they don't get there way they let their body explode on the store floor and then run out leaving the evil clerk to clean the mess up. Seriously I don't know what world some of these people live in, but I am always more and more thankful for all that my community has to offer...like sane people living in it for one.

It's Gandalf. That's all I can see now as the gas station attendant. I almost want this to happen now!

you_shall_not_pass1.jpg

I don't need to boycott any business like these because no one in my neck of the woods I've encountered is inhumane enough to take this stance. That seems to rest solely on the Disboards and their maniacal bowing and scraping to businesses.

Looks, it's pretty simple. If you have a child who has accidents, call the stores that you plan to go to in advance and find out who has a public restroom and who doesn't. Then you can either get a babysitter or only go to the stores with a public restroom.

So the Salvation Army near me has a bathroom back in the stock room. You have to pass all this storeroom stuff. And yet -- they let everybody use the bathroom. They consider it a public bathroom.

Wonder why? I bet it has something to do with their take on human dignity and their mission.

Maybe it's because they handle donated goods and not merchandise that they have to pay for and so the theft exposure is not an issue. There would be no real financial loss is someone walked away with a pair of used jeans on the way to the restroom.

I run the Chamber in Hillsboro. 90% of the time, we allow it to be used as a public restroom. But we have a LARGE arts & Crafts fair in September. For two days, we do NOT allow anyone (other than those in the office working) to use it. Are there other options? Yes. Could it be considered "mean?" Yes. But due to insurance and libilitiy issues, this is what my board has informed me of.

Just to clarify, I never said anything about a potty training child or one in pull ups. A 6 year old can have emergencies and actually so can a 60 year old.

If I was standing there asking about a bathroom for a dancing kid, the clerk says no and the kid has an accident before I can get out the store, the clerk really doesn't want to hand me cleaning supplies.

Rules and policies are not written in blood. Exceptions can be made.

And if any one says their kids never had an accident or suddenly got sick in public you are either lying or looking back with rose colored glasses.

This whole bit about cleaning supplies and stock is excuses. I have been in stores with a bathroom for customer use that was in the stock room and had cleaning supplies.

And again if someone is fired for letting a customet use a restroom in an emergency, the boss was looking for a reason. Or he/she doesn't know the first thing about customer service.

Not every store is located where thwre are other options.

So the Salvation Army near me has a bathroom back in the stock room. You have to pass all this storeroom stuff. And yet -- they let everybody use the bathroom. They consider it a public bathroom.

Wonder why? I bet it has something to do with their take on human dignity and their mission.

Our Salvation Army has a sign informing folks that the dressing rooms are no longer allowed to be used because people were using them as a bathroom.

Just to clarify, I never said anything about a potty training child or one in pull ups. A 6 year old can have emergencies and actually so can a 60 year old.

If I was standing there asking about a bathroom for a dancing kid, the clerk says no and the kid has an accident before I can get out the store, the clerk really doesn't want to hand me cleaning supplies.

And if any one says their kids never had an accident or suddenly got sick in public you are either lying or looking back with rose colored glasses.

This whole bit about cleaning supplies and stock is excuses. I have been in stores with a bathroom for customer use that was in the stock room and had cleaning supplies.

And again if someone is fired for letting a customet use a restroom in an emergency, the boss was looking for a reason. Or he/she doesn't know the first thing about customer service.

Why do you think you shouldn't clean up a mess that your kid made? Why would expect a clerk to clean it up?

Your kid, your responsibility.

I don't understand why there's this assumption that if one store let's people around stock or supplies, they all should or whatever.

If you're kid is doing a pee dance, maybe rush to the closest bathroom you're allowed to use instead of wasting time asking for exceptions. It's just not that hard and your kids potty problems just aren't anyone else's problem. Figure it out.

I've had popcorn kernel vomit in between my toes on a hot summer day. Yeah it happens. I took care of it. Hell, I can't take a trip to Disney without my youngest puking at some point. It's tradition. And I was embarrassed as all hell, not indignant about someone just doing their job and not wanting to get in trouble.

Why do you think you shouldn't clean up a mess that your kid made? Why would expect a clerk to clean it up?

Your kid, your responsibility.

If my child had an accident because I did nothing to prevent it or had not taken the child to the bathroom in a long stretch of time, sure I would clean it up.

If my child suddenly had to go right away and I asked and then the accident happened on the way out, nope. I will take care of my kid. In that scenario, the accident could have been prevented by the clerk.

The DISboards? The Dunkin Donuts I frequent doesn't have a public restroom (but the one two blocks away gives access to its paying customers). Neither does the 7-11 around the corner from where I live. Those businesses made the business decisions with zero input from or knowledge of the DIS. Such decisions are likely based on advice from attorneys, insurance agents, franchisors, other business owners...

In states like Florida, that's illegal:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...ng=&URL=0500-0599/0509/Sections/0509.221.html
(2)(a) Each public lodging establishment and each public food service establishment shall maintain public bathroom facilities in accordance with the Florida Building Code as approved by the local building authority. The division shall establish by rule categories of establishments not subject to the bathroom requirement of this paragraph. Such rules may not alter the exemption provided for theme parks in paragraph (b).

If my child had an accident because I did nothing to prevent it or had not taken the child to the bathroom in a long stretch of time, sure I would clean it up.

If my child suddenly had to go right away and I asked and then the accident happened on the way out, nope. I will take care of my kid. In that scenario, the accident could have been prevented by the clerk.

Or it could have been prevented by paying attention and getting him or her to a bathroom sooner instead of trying to bully a store clerk.

I don't understand why there's this assumption that if one store let's people around stock or supplies, they all should or whatever.

If you're kid is doing a pee dance, maybe rush to the closest bathroom you're allowed to use instead of wasting time asking for exceptions. It's just not that hard and your kids potty problems just aren't anyone else's problem. Figure it out.

I've had popcorn kernel vomit in between my toes on a hot summer day. Yeah it happens. I took care of it. Hell, I can't take a trip to Disney without my youngest puking at some point. It's tradition. And I was embarrassed as all hell, not indignant about someone just doing their job and not wanting to get in trouble.

Not all stores are located in a place where quick options are available.

At Disney the restrooms are located all over the park, you can take off running to one. Not the same as a little store sitting by itself or connected to three other stores with no customer bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter