• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Stop drinking out of that puddle!"-our first family trip with 2 and 4 year olds!

After the Flights of Wonder show, we made our way to Dinoland. It was around 12:15. We stopped for a few pictures in front of the tree first though!
DSC_4408.jpg

And then we ran into a character trail with no one on it, so we stopped to meet Terk
DSC_4410.jpg

and Louie and Baloo
DSC_4416.jpg

Finally we made our way into Dinoland at about 12:40, where we saw this beautiful site (if you're Griffin and love dinosaurs!)
DSC_4421.jpg

We decided to ride Triceratop Spin right away, and I was surprised by how little the boys cared about it. I think the time of day may have had something to do with their lack of enthusiasm.
DSC_4430.jpg

DSC_4433_edited-1.jpg

Alright, here's where the big blow up fight of the trip happened. It was about 1 pm at this point. We were all hot, and the kids definitely needed to be cooled down. Chad suggested getting frozen lemonades, but I thought we should just go eat lunch and take a break, since it was late (by our eating standards anyway) and Cooper would need his nap soon. Somehow, despite this perfectly logical argument, I lost, and Chad headed to get the lemonades while I took the boys by myself to play in the Boneyard. Now, anyone who has been in the Boneyard knows how big it is, and how the digging area is totally separate from the rest. Griffin wanted to dig, but Cooper wouldn't keep his shoes on, and I had to chase him around without losing Griffin...can you sense my irritation at how this is going?
DSC_4436.jpg

So then Chad appears, super mad at me! He says that I knew he couldn't bring food in there, and took the kids in to punish him so they couldn't have the drinks. He tells me he had to stand outside and guzzle it so he could come in and find me. (Keep in mind, both grandmas were sitting out there and could have held onto the drink). I lost it! I couldn't believe that we were doing what he wanted to do, even though it was stupid, and then I got blamed for everything (I had NO idea you couldn't bring in food, I didn't read the sign as I chased the two kids in!). He eventually realized how difficult my time in there had been, and apologized and offered me some lemonade. I just walked away from them all, telling him, "I don't want a drink, I want a divorce!" I kind of even meant it at that moment, I was SOOO mad. Anyway, just wanted to share so that if you had even a minor fight with your spouse at WDW, you can feel better about it!!

After our big fight, we headed to Restaurantosaurus for lunch. The food was just okay, but I knew Griffin would love the decor.
DSC_4437.jpg

After lunch, Cooper conked out, and we made our way over to Dinosaur. It started to pour just as we got there. Sue and my mom took Cooper over to a covered pavilion while Chad and I took Griffin on the ride. If you read my PTR, you might remember that I was nervous about how he would do. If it had been anything other than dinosaurs, I wouldn't have even tried, but he really wanted to go on. Well, he was NOT a fan. He didn't scream or cry, but he cowered under my arm. The picture of him was SO funny. When we got off, he said he didn't want to go again (how I knew he really didn't like it!), so the grandmas went on by themselves. While we waited, we let Griffin pick out a dinosaur souvenir, and he picked a $10 stuffed toy with a book.

Up next: the rest of our AK day!

We left Dinoland as the rain slowed to a drizzle. We made our way over to Asia, and Chad and I went on EE with our first set of fast passes. Oh my goodness, I :lovestruc this ride! Love, love, love it! This is now my favorite ride in all of WDW. So of course, we went on one more time with the second set, and I loved it even more once I knew what to expect. The grandmas had taken the boys to find a spot for the parade, so we stopped at DinoBites for a huge ice cream cookie sandwich to bring back to them, and Chad got some more frozen lemonades to bring too.
DSC_4440.jpg

We were right in front of the exit for ITTBAB, and it was a perfect spot-shaded, great view. The parade was really fun, and I loved the music.
DSC_4446.jpg

DSC_4452.jpg

DSC_4457.jpg

After the parade, we had about 50 minutes until the park closed. Chad and his mom went to do EE (she did not love it like we did!). We had done everything on our must-do list, but not much of the trails. My mom and I let the kids decide what to do, and they chose (not surprisingly) to head back to...
DSC_4459.jpg

Dinoland and the Boneyard. I tried to talk them into Triceratop Spin again, since it was running almost empty, but they weren't interested. So we just hung out in the Boneyard some more, and got to really explore it.
DSC_4461.jpg

Griffin head butting the Pachycephalosaurus (a bonehead who uses his skull as a weapon!)
DSC_4469.jpg

DSC_4471.jpg

As we got ready to head out of the park, Chad and the boys found an ibis, and had so much fun chasing him!
DSC_4477.jpg

Here's Chad chasing Cooper chasing the ibis!
DSC_4479.jpg

We made our way out, past the Tree of Life
DSC_4482.jpg

DSC_4483.jpg

As we got to the front of the park, they stopped everyone "just for a moment." Five minutes later, the crowd had grown, and everyone was getting antsy to leave. The CM kept telling us we had to wait until she could see a truck before we could walk. Finally a truck pulled up with Mickey, Minnie, etc. on it, and then we could go. It was so weird, it was like they were trying to orchestrate a magical moment, but everyone was just mad and tired! Didn't work, Disney! :confused3

What was so important we all had to wait:
DSC_4487.jpg

We made our way back to the hotel, and headed to the lobby. The one thing I had learned from our meltdowns over the past two days was that we were getting burnt out. The original plan called for us to go to whatever park we wanted the next morning (Saturday), followed by Downtown Disney in the evening. Then Sunday, our last day, we had two character meals (Ohana breakfast and Chef Mickey's dinner) and the day at MK, plus EMH...whew!

I decided that it would be best to change our Ohana breakfast to the next morning, not do any park, and then only have the one meal plus MK Sunday. Luckily there was a 9:20 ADR for Ohana the next morning, so we were able to switch. I was proud of myself for recognizing what needed to be done, and fixing it. I'm not a real "go with the flow" kind of girl!

While we were in the lobby they did the Hustle, and the kids tried to join in.
DSC_4489.jpg

See the roses on the floor? After the Hustle they did a whole thing for a couple that never got to have a real wedding, with pictures and a dance. It was cute!

I brought some slices of bread from the food court, and made the boys PB&J when we got to the room. They were so happy to have some comfort food! Chad's aunts, uncles, and cousins all live in Orlando, so they all met us in our rooms and then we headed down to the kiddie pool and ordered Pizza Hut for dinner. The kids swam while we ate pizza and hung out with family, which was really nice. At about 9 pm I took the kids back up to the room and gave them their bath. Cooper was in a great mood!
DSC_4495.jpg

I put them to bed and then hung out with my mom in her room, until they were asleep. It's amazing how much faster they fell asleep without Chad and I in the room!

Up next: Ohana, Epcot, and Downtown Disney!

:( I am sorry AK was not the day you wanted it to be. Thank you for writing an honest TR! I have a feeling that DH and I will end up getting into a fight b/c of all the pressure of having extra people with us.

Way to plan on the fly--I will definitely be keeping that in mind to watch for the signs of needing to adjust b/c of being too tired, fried, bored and any other not pleasant reactions.

:( I am sorry AK was not the day you wanted it to be. Thank you for writing an honest TR! I have a feeling that DH and I will end up getting into a fight b/c of all the pressure of having extra people with us.

Way to plan on the fly--I will definitely be keeping that in mind to watch for the signs of needing to adjust b/c of being too tired, fried, bored and any other not pleasant reactions.

Thanks for commenting! I was wondering if I lost everyone after such a long hiatus...

Yep, I am nothing if not honest!!:goodvibes I think it's hard to be on a trip you've planned for forever, when you're hot, tired, and supposed to be having fun constantly, and not get cranky once in a while.

Overall, though, we had a really nice day at AK, except for the 12:30-2 pm time period. And once we made up, DH and I had a really nice afternoon and were extra nice to each other!

Great update! I also like that you don't candy-coat it. It wouldn't be a family trip without some meltdowns here and there. :laughing: Of course, my favorite tv show is The Amazing Race so I like me some travel drama. :rotfl:

Great update! I also like that you don't candy-coat it. It wouldn't be a family trip without some meltdowns here and there. :laughing: Of course, my favorite tv show is The Amazing Race so I like me some travel drama. :rotfl:

Oh good, I'm glad the meltdowns are normal!:rotfl: I love the Amazing Race, it's one of my very favorites! (My absolute favorite is The Office!). What's funny to me is that the characters who are most like what I would be on the race (control freak, get snippy with their partners) are usually my least favorite contestants! Hmmm...

Who are you rooting for this season? I really like the Globetrotters, they're funny!:grouphug:

So many terrific photos of AK! :thumbsup2

Now that you mention it, I think we had mini-meltdowns in AK as well--one between DH and I, and one between DD and DSIL. I totally forgot about that until I read your update. :confused3 ...maybe that's a good thing ;) I mostly only remember the good things (kind of like childbirth :scared1: otherwise, who'd ever have more than one kid? :laughing:)

I do think that park seems hotter than the others, it's the biggest park so lots of ground to cover, and tempers just get a little short.

WOW!! You're an updating machine!! Sorry you had so many issues at AK! But glad you were able to work through them!!

As I said the meltdowns are normal! Heat + major togetherness + out of routine= Cranky people!;) I am glad you are honest. I have a feeling we will have some meltowns in December when we go......and not just from Amelia!:rotfl:

Great update! I really appreciate and enjoy your honesty because we have ALL been there. Don't know that I would last as long as you did if I had my mom along. :rotfl:

LOVE the Viking picture and OMG, how did Griffin manage to catch, much less hold on to that tiny lizard>!

Yep..been there, done that. And I know we will be back to the case of the Grumpys when we start our trip to Disney in Va for thanksgiving.....daddy and his sister have a love hate relationship. They love to fight so it should be an interesting start to our trip

Oh good, I'm glad the meltdowns are normal!:rotfl: I love the Amazing Race, it's one of my very favorites! (My absolute favorite is The Office!). What's funny to me is that the characters who are most like what I would be on the race (control freak, get snippy with their partners) are usually my least favorite contestants! Hmmm...

Who are you rooting for this season? I really like the Globetrotters, they're funny!:grouphug:

:rotfl: I totally agree. Much as I hate it, I SO see myself in the really obnoxious racers. The Globetrotters are my top pick, too, but the dad and son from Montana are running a close second.

hey jana. I finally have gotten a minute to catch up on some reports. Life has been so busy and I sit and dream about being back in disney. :laughing: Even though I said a few years. :laughing: You got so much done at AK you were going on hyper speed. We did the same thing and then realized how nuts we were being. I am sorry but I got a good chuckle about the comment "I dont want a drink, I want a divorce". That was the funniest comment ever. The heat plus being tired and trying to make a trip just how you envision it does get overwhelming. Dont worry everyone has gotten into spats on vacation. As long as your still married thats all that matters right.

Well I did love your update and am anxious to hear more. I am trying so hard to update my report too. Hope to talk to you soon.

Wow, I've missed a lot. Your report is going great. So sorry to hear about the arguments but I feel better to know that we aren't the only ones who aren't always happy at the happiest place on earth. What I usually love about disney is that for the time we are there we usually manage to stay happy with little arguments even from the kids. This time however everyone seemed a lot more on edge than normal. I blame the heat. Can't wait for more

Up next: Ohana, Epcot, and Downtown Disney!

Looking forward to the rest of your report.

Have a meltdown without any kids.
You can seperate-but you can't loose each other in the parks-
you just have to stand a few feet apart from each other.:rotfl:
I think we all have been there, you are just honest to admit it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter