"Stop drinking out of that puddle!"-our first family trip with 2 and 4 year olds!

Joining in a little late and enjoying your TR :)

Woo-hoo!! :cool1: TSM 4 times?? :worship: Impressive!

Isn't Ohana the best? I'm with your DH on the pork.

We have 2 boys and 2 grandparents in our group too--it'll be interesting to see what you guys do over the course of your time in the World.

YAY!! I'm all caught up!! What GREAT updates! I just LOVE O'hana! It was one of our favorites meals as well!! And GROSS that Cooper drank out of a "puddle" with a dirty straw! YIKES!! It looks like you had a blast at DHS! Can't wait to hear about your meal at Play & Dine @ Hollyood & Vine!!

We did love 'Ohana, I would love to go back. And, not to give too much away, but we :lovestruc H&V as well. You were a major force in my choosing it, since you said you guys had had a nice meal. I am so glad I didn't listen to all of the negative reviews, because it was probably my favorite character meal. So thanks for that! :goodvibes

Joining in a little late and enjoying your TR :)

Woo-hoo!! :cool1: TSM 4 times?? :worship: Impressive!

Isn't Ohana the best? I'm with your DH on the pork.

We have 2 boys and 2 grandparents in our group too--it'll be interesting to see what you guys do over the course of your time in the World.

Welcome! I'm going to check out your TR tonight, hopefully! I was actually really pleased with what we were able to get done. Looking back at it with perfect hindsight vision, I wish we had done maybe a little less "stuff" and a little more relaxing and taking it all in. I feel a little bad since I was the planner and the go-go person on the trip, and now I feel guilty that I asked everyone else to rush around with me. Oh well, they're all telling me they had fun, so I'm going to assume they aren't lying!:rolleyes1

When I left off, we were making our way to Hollywood and Vine for our 11 am ADR. I was a little nervous about this meal for a few reasons. First, anyone who reads the DIS has read a bad review of this restaurant. I don't think of us as particularly picky eaters (well, the kids are, but they would be anywhere), so I was hopeful we'd be okay, but worried that I had lead us all to inedible cuisine! Second, I was a little concerned about what we would be eating. Disney's own dining website said that breakfast went until 11:20, and lunch started at 11:40. I was hopeful that we'd be getting some of both, since the kids definitely eat breakfast foods better. In the end, I stuck with this ADR since it was so convenient to stay in the park (our other option was Cape May dinner), and I knew the kids would enjoy any characters, even if they didn't particularly care for them or know them.

We walked along the lake, and were disappointed to see that the spot with the best view was a smoking area (this happened again later that day at a nice shady bench area near Star Tours). I'm allergic to smoke, and try not to expose the kids, so we didn't feel like hanging around, but it was really pretty. I went ahead to check in at about 10:50, and had my only disappointment of the meal. The host said that lunch started at 11 am, and they wouldn't seat anyone until then. Kind of a bummer since the entire restaurant was empty and we could see servers just standing and waiting, but whatever!:rolleyes1

Finally at 11:10 (again, why would you need 10 minutes past the ADR to seat the 5 families waiting outside?) we were ushered in, and this is when I started to love this meal. There was no one there! Maybe a third of the tables were filled. It was awesome, because there were no real lines for food, and the characters had tons of time to interact with the kids. Each character came by at least twice! So nice. And we really liked the food too. Just based on our experience, I have no idea why people bash the food. I adored the creamed corn spoonbread, and liked many of the other items. All of us found plenty to eat and enjoy. They had a really nice dessert selection as well. So if you have been contemplating this meal, I say go for it! It was perfect for the ages of my kids, but older kids would probably be bored. And thanks Becky (ladybugmom) for encouraging me to do this one; I am so glad we did!

OK, onto the pictures!
DSC_3987.jpg

See, what I loved is that the characters really took their time with each table. Almost all of them sat down at some point, and most of them played with Griffin or Cooper. So sweet! Plus 2 of them came before we ever saw our server, so we didn't have to rush around as much while we ate.
DSC_3989.jpg

I think Cooper was really concerned about why they looked like people but had such huge heads!

DSC_3998.jpg

DSC_4004.jpg

After JoJo and Leo came by, they did the first of many dance breaks. Now again, some might find this annoying, but my kids are all about dancing, and I'm all about them not having to sit still and quiet!;) They had a blast dancing, and luckily our table was right behind it, so the adults could sit and eat while they danced.
DSC_4006.jpg

Next June came by, and then Goliath.
DSC_4011.jpg

DSC_4029.jpg

Then JoJo came again. Judging from all the other pictures I took, I think Leo and June came by again, and JoJo may have come by one more time after that. Honestly, at some point I stopped taking pictures and just got to enjoy them playing with the kids, who were having a blast!
DSC_4017.jpg

I had to create my own Disney magic at the meal. I saw a table a few seats away had yogurt cups on it. The boys were eating nothing (not H&V's fault, just how they are), but I knew they'd eat yogurt, which I did not see on the buffet. So I asked our server about it, and she told me sorry, they were left over from breakfast and not out anymore. I walked away a little disappointed, and commented to my mom that I was surprised she didn't offer to get some from the kitchen (I think I was spoiled by how accomodating every other place had been). Well, she overheard me and brought two out. Whoops, guess I have a louder mouth than I thought!:rolleyes1 I was very appreciative and thanked her profusely, but I still felt bad that I had kind of assumed she would go out of their way just for me.

Anyway, as the meal was wrapping up we decided Chad would take all of our cards and run ahead to get Rock and Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror fast passes for the two of us (the beauty of having non-riders-we got to use their cards for our FPs!), and then he would meet us at TSM for our third ride. He is fast! He beat us there, and told me the line for ToT was so short they weren't giving FPs out, so he got 4 for RnRC so we could ride twice. Smart boy!

The army men were out in front of TSM, so we got some photos with them.
DSC_4034.jpg

I remember that as we got in the fast pass line to ride TSM, we discussed how we had 45 minutes until the Lights, Motors, Action stunt show. This was the one thing Chad wanted to do at DHS, and the boys really wanted to see it too. I thought for sure we'd have plenty of time. Well, this time the ride had major problems. If I heard, "Sorry Toy Story Maniacs, Rex forgot to put the batteries in" one more time, I was going to lose it! And my poor mom, who had offered to ride with Cooper so Chad and I could ride together, got stuck keeping him happy for the 20 minutes we sat there as it would start and stop over and over. We watched as the time for LMA got closer and closer. There was another show at 4:30, but we had hoped to be wrapping up our day around then and didn't know if the kids would make it that long. We decided to make a run for it and see if we could sneak in!

Chad ran with Cooper while we grabbed the strollers and came behind. We got there as they were putting the rope up, but luckily we made it under the wire. We did miss the opening sequence, which was a bummer. Also a bummer was that the show also had major technical difficulties. They had to reshoot several scenes, and the part where the man is supposed to catch fire didn't happen. Oh well, the kids still really liked it.
All of my boys watching with rapt attention.
DSC_4047.jpg

Cooper completely enthralled
DSC_4049.jpg

So cool, especially if you have two car-obsessed little boys!
DSC_4056.jpg

After the show Cooper was getting pretty tired, but I wanted them to see the Cars characters first. So we found that and got some quick pictures. Can you see Cooper's pacifier? He only gets this when he's sleeping (or cranky at WDW and nothing else will work!:rotfl:), so he was pretty close to naptime here!
DSC_4087_edited-1.jpg

We headed to Star Tours, but stumbled upon the Singing in the Rain umbrella first, so of course we all got pictures with it!
DSC_4066.jpg

DSC_4070.jpg

DSC_4072.jpg

DSC_4078.jpg

DSC_4079.jpg

Even Cooper, who truly could not understand what we were all doing!
DSC_4083.jpg

Near picture limit, continued in next post!

After our Cars and umbrella photo ops, we headed to Star Tours. As soon as we started walking, Cooper conked out. We got a rider swap for the ride, and then my mom and I took Griffin on it. It was fun, but nothing great. He got to ride again with Chad and Sue while my mom and I walked Cooper's stroller around and got Frozen Lemonade Shocks as snacks. I believe other than the milk/cereal combos we'd gotten at POP in the mornings, that this was my very first snack credit usage...awww! It was sour and cold, perfect for the hot afternoon. We stopped in a gift shop and I remarked to my mom how cute I thought these little $2 Mickey head keychains were (this will be important later!).

When we met up with the rest of the gang, we decided it was time for Griffin to make his own lightsaber. This was the one souvenir I had known going in that I was going to get him. He and Chad play swords all the time at home, so I knew he'd actually use them when we got back!
He had so much fun, and they were so nice helping him. He made his, and then we helped him make Cooper's (who was still asleep and couldn't have cared less what his looked like!)

DSC_4101.jpg

DSC_4108.jpg

He was thrilled, and I was glad to buy him something to hopefully keep the "I wants" at bay. He'd been really good so far about not asking for stuff, and I hoped to keep it that way! We got him a Mickey ice cream sandwich for a snack, while poor Cooper slept through it!
DSC_4112.jpg

DSC_4115_edited-1.jpg

We walked around a little bit, and decided that it was a good time for Chad and I to do RnRC and ToT. Sue took Cooper to keep him moving while he slept, and my mom took Griffin to hopefully do the animation class, something she had really been wanting to do. Unfortunately, the class was not going on at that time due to a problem, and Cooper woke up, so they ended up kind of walking around. She tried to get Griffin to meet the UP characters (he and I had just seen the movie the week prior), but he didn't want to. I learned later that they ended up in a gift shop, where Griffin wanted to get me something for my birthday. He kept suggesting princess necklaces and other not-so-much-me ideas, so she lead him to the $2 keychains I had liked earlier. I guess the clerk was really nice, and when she learned he was buying it for mommy's birthday, she wrapped it in tissue paper and a Disney box. He was so proud to give it to me when we met back up!:lovestruc

But back to the thrill rides! As we walked over, I chickened out on Tower of Terror. We had ridden it back in 2001, and I don't remember disliking it then, but I really hate big drops. So I wimped out, although I told Chad I would happily go through the whole line with him if he wanted to go. He didn't care enough to do it, so we headed to RnRC and used two of our fast passes, even though the stand by line was maybe 5 minutes. We did get ahead of 4 people! We rode it once, had a blast, and used our other two fast passes, this time asking for the front. We loved it again, so we rode stand by one more time. Fun! We were able to ride three times in 25 minutes...I :love: September!

We met the group in the HISTK play area, where the kids played for awhile.
DSC_4120_edited-1.jpg

And then we headed to the Muppets 3-D. My mom loves the Muppets, so this was mainly for her! We all enjoyed it, but I don't think I'd ever need to see it again. We stopped for a pic for her
DSC_4122.jpg

then headed over to TSM for one last ride using our last fast passes (our 4th, if anyone is counting!). We got super lucky here. They had two cars that were separated out from the rest, and they needed a group of 6. Lucky for us, we had 6, and we skipped ahead by about 10 minutes.

We stopped for a couple more pictures
DSC_4123_edited-1.jpg

DSC_4127_edited-1.jpg

and headed out to find a bus waiting just for us (or so it seemed!).

My mom was able to entertain Cooper singing "Bippity Boppity Boo," his favorite, so even he was happy on the way home!
DSC_4130_edited-1.jpg

(That's him saying "BOO")

We headed straight to the food court to eat when we got back to the resort around 6:30. None of us was starving, so we shared meals. The boys got an adult pizza to split, and Chad and I split a meatball sub with salad, as did the grandmas. They were yummy! We all also got brownie sundaes as dessert, and oh goodness were they good and huge! The 4 of us couldn't finish two sundaes, though the boys gave it their best effort.
DSC_4132.jpg

DSC_4133.jpg

DSC_4135.jpg

The scariest moment of the trip happened right after the sundaes. We were packing up to leave the table when Cooper decided to take off toward the building exit. He managed to get to the door just as a man opened it, and went under him out the door, running at full speed toward the pool. As previously mentioned, I have terrible reaction time to things like this, so as I was still processing it, Sue ran at full speed after him, knocking down chairs in her wake. She reached him at the pool chairs, thank goodness! I think she was a little stressed after that, rightfully so.

We strapped him in to the stroller, tight, and headed up to the room to get ready to swim. We swam for a while, the boys did their nightly jumping on beds and into the pack n play, and we all went to sleep around 9:30. Off to Epcot in the morning!

Enjoyed this update. We were also surprised by how much there was to do at DHS for the kids. One of my friends who was planning a trip for after us told me that was on her "maybe" list...I told her to bump it to the must-do!
Glad you got into the stunt show! We were at DHS on our departure day and the kids were wiped by then, we left around 1 so weren't there at 1:30 but I think Caden would have really enjoyed that. It's on my list for next time!

some how I missed a couple updates. I am so glad to hear that you really enjoyed Ohana's and that you thought DHS was best for the boys. I think this will be our favorite park even though everyone else seems to rank it toward the end. My boys love Star Wars, Cars, Indiana Jones, Monsters Inc..etc. We really like movies so I think they will love it here. Great updates. Love all the pictures. Looks like a fantastic time so far and I can't wait for more.

I am so loving your GREAT time. :cool1: I think boys and cars go hand in hand. I can't wait for my youngest to see the show this time.

I have to agree, I think the thing I always wish we did more was ENJOY, and RELAX. I always feel like I will miss something or we have to..... However that is for the next trip. I think the more you go the easier it gets. (That is what I tell myself and DH so we can go MORE!)

I am going to miss the updates while I am gone but can't wait to catch up when I get back. :sad2:

Thanks for the water fan advise. We got everyone one ($2.00 on clearance at Walmart) :goodvibes and already they are a hit. The boys spent a few hours playing with them this past weekend.

Did it rain much while you were there? Still need to get to the dollar store to get ponchos but I think that is one of the last things for pick up.

Can't wait to read more.

Hey!! I just found your tr!! Our trips overlapped a little and we were right next to each other! I was at Pop in the 80's from 9/10 to 9/16!! Lucky you for getting 'Ohanas! We didn't decide that we wanted it until after our 90 day mark and by the time we did, we couldn't get an ADR!

And I just wanted to say, my little guy held onto the pole in the monorail too, just like his momma!! So cute the things they do!!

I'm loving your tr! Your boys are so precious!! DHS was one of our best days too! I just love that park! :lovestruc

Great updates!!!

It looks like you guys had a fantastic time at DHS. I didn't even know the "make your own lightsaber" thing existed so we will definitely check that out next time.

I love all your pictures under the umbrella. Cooper looks so cute standing there with his pacifier. :goodvibes

That must have been so scary when Cooper took off like that. My DS took off running about a month ago in front of our house while I was unlocking the door and he almost made it into the street. It was terrifying! What is up with 2 year olds running away? So scary! :eek:

Great Trip Report! Your boys look like they are having so much fun and what a special trip for them to have both grandmas with as well. When we took my son at age 2 my mom and dad came with and it was nice for DH and I to have a few breaks during the trip and my parents had a blast watching all of Gabe's reactions during the trip! Nice to see the dynamics of the ages of the boys too because we are going this Spring with the kids who will be 5 and 2 when we go and it's fun to get a sneak peek at what your oldest has a lot of fun with! Can't wait to read more!

Great updates! :thumbsup2

Little boys sure move fast at age 2--your heart must have been in your throat.

We missed LMA at HS -- hopefully we'll catch it next time.

Enjoyed this update. We were also surprised by how much there was to do at DHS for the kids. One of my friends who was planning a trip for after us told me that was on her "maybe" list...I told her to bump it to the must-do!
Glad you got into the stunt show! We were at DHS on our departure day and the kids were wiped by then, we left around 1 so weren't there at 1:30 but I think Caden would have really enjoyed that. It's on my list for next time!

Yes, in planning the trip it sounded like DHS would have quite a bit the boys would like (of course I didn't really predict that any of us would like TSM quite so much!), but so many people said it was a half day park for them that I thought maybe I was wrong. Definitely not! We had an absolute blast there! Definitely try to hit LMA next time-I think almost any boy would love it!

some how I missed a couple updates. I am so glad to hear that you really enjoyed Ohana's and that you thought DHS was best for the boys. I think this will be our favorite park even though everyone else seems to rank it toward the end. My boys love Star Wars, Cars, Indiana Jones, Monsters Inc..etc. We really like movies so I think they will love it here. Great updates. Love all the pictures. Looks like a fantastic time so far and I can't wait for more.

I hope you guys have as good a time at DHS as we did. I'm sure you will if your kids like movies! Ypur trip is SO close, have a wonderful time if I don't "talk" to you before then!

I am so loving your GREAT time. :cool1: I think boys and cars go hand in hand. I can't wait for my youngest to see the show this time.

I have to agree, I think the thing I always wish we did more was ENJOY, and RELAX. I always feel like I will miss something or we have to..... However that is for the next trip. I think the more you go the easier it gets. (That is what I tell myself and DH so we can go MORE!)

I am going to miss the updates while I am gone but can't wait to catch up when I get back. :sad2:

Thanks for the water fan advise. We got everyone one ($2.00 on clearance at Walmart) :goodvibes and already they are a hit. The boys spent a few hours playing with them this past weekend.

Did it rain much while you were there? Still need to get to the dollar store to get ponchos but I think that is one of the last things for pick up.

Can't wait to read more.

Oh, wow, $2 is awesome! Trust me, we were so hot that even $17 sounded reasonable at the time! You will be so glad to have them. Griffin loved playing with ours, so it served as a nice distraction at times too, which was nice.

See, I think I knew that it's going to be another 3-4 years before we go back, so I wanted to do everything this time. And we did have a blast, but even at the time there were photo ops I wanted to get and just didn't, since stopping with the whole group, getting the kids out of the strollers, getting them back in, etc. just wasn't worth it. Now I kind of wish I'd tried harder for those. (Although I did take 1,100 pictures, so surely some photo ops were had!). Your trip is SO close too, have a wonderful time!

Hey!! I just found your tr!! Our trips overlapped a little and we were right next to each other! I was at Pop in the 80's from 9/10 to 9/16!! Lucky you for getting 'Ohanas! We didn't decide that we wanted it until after our 90 day mark and by the time we did, we couldn't get an ADR!

And I just wanted to say, my little guy held onto the pole in the monorail too, just like his momma!! So cute the things they do!!

I'm loving your tr! Your boys are so precious!! DHS was one of our best days too! I just love that park! :lovestruc

Welcome! Glad you're joining in. I hope you get to try 'Ohanas sometime!

Great updates!!!

It looks like you guys had a fantastic time at DHS. I didn't even know the "make your own lightsaber" thing existed so we will definitely check that out next time.

I love all your pictures under the umbrella. Cooper looks so cute standing there with his pacifier. :goodvibes

That must have been so scary when Cooper took off like that. My DS took off running about a month ago in front of our house while I was unlocking the door and he almost made it into the street. It was terrifying! What is up with 2 year olds running away? So scary! :eek:

Oh yes, you must do the lightsaber thing next time. It was so cool, and has instilled a very new, very cute Star Wars obsession in Griffin. He and my DH are making their way through the movies.

I'm pretty sure 2 year olds are programmed to give us gray hairs at every opportunity. Cooper loves to swim (LOVES it!), and had run right into the pool at home this summer and gone under, so I knew he was more than capable of doing the same there, which is why we were so nervous.

I'm loving your TR too by the way!

Great Trip Report! Your boys look like they are having so much fun and what a special trip for them to have both grandmas with as well. When we took my son at age 2 my mom and dad came with and it was nice for DH and I to have a few breaks during the trip and my parents had a blast watching all of Gabe's reactions during the trip! Nice to see the dynamics of the ages of the boys too because we are going this Spring with the kids who will be 5 and 2 when we go and it's fun to get a sneak peek at what your oldest has a lot of fun with! Can't wait to read more!

Welcome! It was really wonderful that the grandmas got to come. They are ALL about their grandkids, so this was special for them, and the boys were thrilled to have them there. Plus they were a huge help! Your 5 year old will have such a great time. I think that was truly the perfect age for the trip-everything was so magical to him!

Great updates! :thumbsup2

Little boys sure move fast at age 2--your heart must have been in your throat.

We missed LMA at HS -- hopefully we'll catch it next time.

Thanks! My heart was definitely in my throat, but I felt way worse for my poor MIL, who chased him down. She had major adrenaline pumping after that save!

I may be a few days between updates. We have a family reunion on Saturday and will be gone all day, but I'll try to add more on Sunday! :goodvibes

Just Because I can totally see my own kids drinkingout of a puddle I was drawn to your family. I can say without a doubt I was not ready to stop reading the TR you have here....your kids are super adorable. :thumbsup2

I was so happy to see that you had been to This character meal since we will be happy to eat here as well. Of course my son is the party pooper..."who wants to see the Little Einsteins" he asks to which my 4 yr old says "umm me!!" We will be going for lunch....how was the food there?

Just Because I can totally see my own kids drinkingout of a puddle I was drawn to your family. I can say without a doubt I was not ready to stop reading the TR you have here....your kids are super adorable. :thumbsup2

I was so happy to see that you had been to This character meal since we will be happy to eat here as well. Of course my son is the party pooper..."who wants to see the Little Einsteins" he asks to which my 4 yr old says "umm me!!" We will be going for lunch....how was the food there?

Welcome! And thanks for the compliment on my kids-we think they're pretty cute, but we're biased! ;) We truly loved the Hollywood and Vine lunch. I thought the food was good. I know some people say that certain character buffets are better than others, but we found all of them to be good (Chef Mickeys may have been the best, but not by much). H&V had a creamed corn spoonbread that was awesome. I got seconds on that one! They had a good salmon, a chicken in a sauce I can't remember, and good mashed potatoes. Also a good sized salad bar. And a really good kids section, but I can't remember specifically what it had. What I do remember is being VERY pleasantly surprised at the quality and selection, since I had come in so nervous about what we'd find. How old is your son? The 4 year old will have a great time-it's perfect for the preschool aged kids with all the dancing and singing. Plus it wasn't crowded, so it felt a lot less chaotic than the other character buffets we went to. OK, hopefully I have reassured you, and it is able to live up to all the hype I've created!:rotfl:

Oh, and welcome to the DISboards by the way! :goodvibes

Ahhh, loving your report! And your boys are adorable. Especially like the shot of Cooper conked out in the stroller. Glad to hear you recommend DHS for the younger set...I was on the fence about going there.

So I loved your update about H&V sooooo much I booked it for our trip!:lmao: Since we are flying now I had to cancel our Boma reservation for our departure day and I needed one more reservation for our free dining. I wanted to get Chef Mickeys for breakfast another day but I had no luck. Amelia has been getting into Little Einsteins lately and after I read your report I decided we had to try it! Hopefully breakfast will be decent food too!

I see from your pictures that Griffin enjoyed the "spider web" in the playground also. We couldn't get Caden out of it, he spent almost 30 minutes going through it.
Cooper is so cute with his pacifier...Connor is at that stage too, he only gets it at sleepy time - since our plan was always for him to nap in the cabin, we didn't give it to him in the parks or he'd have passed out! I hate it when they sleep 15 minutes in the car and think they've gotten their whole nap in...
Looking forward to hearing about Epcot! Did you try Beverly??

GREAT update!! I am soooo happy that you loved Play and Dine @ Hollywood & Vine! I don't get all of the negative comments about the food, etc. either. We enjoyed our meal there, too!! And I LOVE your family picture in front of the hat at DHS!! I would have freaked out too if Claire had run full speed ahead towards a pool! I think it's our mommy instinct. Sooo glad ya'll caught him in time! Can't wait to read more!!

What a fantastic day you guys had at Hollywood Studios! Lucky ducks....you were able to do all of the major attractions (multiple times) and get out of the park early!

I would have freaked out too if my small child got away from us and ran towards a pool!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter